Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Curtis Samuel is our #1 WR right now. Beane definitely has something up his sleeve wether it’s drafting back to back WR this year, trading for Higgins/Aiyuk or trading up for Harrison/Odunze/Nabors, something will get done since Beane at least up until now hasn’t done things on the fly for no reasoning.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On reflection, maybe this is a good move. I was willing to give Diggs the benefit of the doubt after his decline over the second half of the season. But then I think of that drop in the playoff game against KC. That spoke volumes. If you choke at the most important moment of the season, you're not untradeable anymore. Wish it were a first-rounder this year, but that's just not realistic. Hopefully they trade up for a WR 1. Maybe their first and second this year and their second next year to move up for one of the Big Four. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I would keep pick 44 from the Texans and then trade pic 28 60 and then whatever pics needed next year to get a top receiver this year and still get a sweet prospect at 44 as well.

It’s a 2025 pick.  

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Question for you crazy draft mathematizers out there lol: how far up would pick 44 and pick 60 get you to?

12-15 if you're lucky.

Houston putting Diggs in the slot would be a great move.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Question for you crazy draft mathematizers out there lol: how far up would pick 44 and pick 60 get you to?

If you throw in the bills 28th? High teens I think 

Anyone who doesn't believe they at least vetted this idea with Josh first is kidding himself...

Beane has a plan and keeping his golden boy happy is a big part of that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I still stand by his tweets being severely over re-acted to.

If he talks poo on the way out, then eff him. 

Seeing the compensation, I wonder if Houston ate the contract or if we are going to pay him 22 million to play elsewhere.

Without knowing the details (both of the deal and what was going on behind the scenes), I don’t love this. 

They at a $30 Million cap poop sandwich, to ship him out of here (to a potential AFC rival) for pennies on the dollar.

People freaked at his posts because they were clearly little glimpses of bigger issues in his head and inter-personally with his teammates and management.  

Maybe he was 'trolling' people or things were taken out of context.  At this point, highly unlikely.  The guy was a malcontent D-bag.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

What bonus? The bills already paid his signing bonus, and they paid his 23 roster bonus. He doesn’t have any further bonus money left that’s not been prorated 

Whatever makes up his big cap hit and dead money. Houston can take that on if they want.

So for this off-season we have moved on from:

Diggs

Davis

Morse

Poyer

Hyde

White

All "cornerstones" of a team that couldn't get past Kansas City when it counted. All have been either Pro Bowl or All Pro. Each one a team captain. I can respect the effort and everything those guys brought to Buffalo but in the end it just wasn't enough and I think Beane and McDermott recognized that 

Calling this anything other than a year where we rebuild and hope to stay competitive is foolish. Many moves we have made focus on gaining cap space for next season. And we really don't have that many free agents to re-sign. 

My bet is they are gearing up to make a TON of big moves next year and build excitement heading with the new stadium on the horizon. I don't expect any major move up the draft board.

Let's see how the plan plays out.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is an awful trade, but it must be he was so cancerous that they couldn’t proceed with him. Stinks.

Its either trade him now or never at his age 

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Hamler is better than Shorter.  Shorter will have a sub Hodgins career.

I wasn't making any assessment of who's better, just stating our starters.  But OK, swap Halmer for Shorter, so Shakir, who played Slot last season, now at wide, Samuel, who has to play Slot, and Hamler.  Is that an encouraging starting WR corps?  LOL  People criticized and slammed our past WR corps, this should be a real hoot with the sentiments if it isn't seriously upgraded.  

I like the move. Diggs all but disappeared in the last 8 games and he has not been a factor in the playoffs. The Bills unload his salary cap hit and can empahsize a youth movement.  I get the Idea that Brady just was not a Diggs fan.

IMO the Bills made a very good move here.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Anyone think it's kinda funny that the Texans just created this issue where they needed a Diggs by unnecessarily trading a MUCH better receiver away in Deandre Hopkins...?

Anyways, the return is meh, the current WR room is a major concern and I guess Diggs was more toxic than any of us realized.  Hope he can be "HIM" in Houston.  But my gut tells me this is the start of his "hop-along" career where he wears 6 different jerseys before calling it a career.

Just now, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Sorry if I missed it but what does it do to cap this year and next year. 

Hes cleared next season as I think dead cap gets accelerated to the season you trade him 

1 minute ago, wppete said:

The compensation is a complete joke. Beane has lost a few steps. Too much limelight has got to his head. Houston robbed us.   

I mean.. Diggs isn't prime Tyreek. 

We're getting a '25 2nd Round pick, but it's the Vikings pick.  Good chance that pick is in the top half of the 2nd Round next year.  

Clearly part of the calculus is using a high pick next year to move up this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Look at the trade comp around the league. For Diggs’ age, contract, and the way his performance was trending last year I think it was pretty good.

Texans take on the risk that Diggs is washed, and we get a 2nd round pick. It might work out for them if Diggs turns it around, we’ll see.

Diggs performs well when he is mentally and emotionally well, so I think he'll probably go there and be pretty happy and perform well. Until something pisses him off and he starts sulking again.

Talented receiver, but he is too volatile.

Edited by MJS

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I hate this so much.  Best WR in franchise history. 

Pegula and Beane choose the loser head coach over the star WR that called out his bull#### OC.

God I hate this. 

Beane had better find a great replacement 

or you’re gonna trash him on a messageboard?

• Haha (+1) 3

Diggs has been great for Josh, but the dude was slipping. Never been a speedster and looked to be losing a step. His drops have been up. In KC playoff game dropped a 55 yard dime , gets up and does that "so close" thing with his fingers to Josh.. sort of sums it all up. MAYBE has one more solid year left in him. 

Don't think this means we def move up for MHJ, Nabers or Odunze. More likely to the mid-late teens or early 20's to grab someone like Brian Thomas Jr or AD Mitchell. 

Emergence of Shakir, Kincaid and most likely 1st round pick, youth movement is on. Samuel is a sub 4.4 guy. Brady knows what he wants to do with him. Getting younger and faster.

Edited by Bookie Man
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

I like the move. Diggs all but disappeared in the last 8 games and he has not been a factor in the playoffs. The Bills unload his salary cap hit and can empahsize a youth movement.  I get the Idea that Brady just was not a Diggs fan.

IMO the Bills made a very good move here.

The thing that bothered me about Diggs was how he’d take himself off the field on 3rd downs

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Top 40 pick (most likely)for an aging WR is good value

Not in NEXT years draft. 2nd rd pick in the next year is always devalued by 1 rd when considering compensation. It also doesn't help us draft his replacement at all.  

1 minute ago, eball said:

Anyone who doesn't believe they at least vetted this idea with Josh first is kidding himself...

Beane has a plan and keeping his golden boy happy is a big part of that.

I’m definitely kidding myself then. 

😂

this ONLY makes sense if we are trading up for Harrison, Odueb (sp), or Nabers.  Not even Thomas may warrant this, but if we don't land one of those 4 from the draft this is an utter failure, and Josh should be asking for a trade next.  

• Disagree 2

24 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Hopefully there's a plan

It's more of a process.  

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This blows a huge hole in the hull of the ship here.  

Still a little soon after the Baltimore tragedy.  

8 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

This is Sean buying another year. He blew the Josh/Diggs window and he's looking start over.

Diggs is a twit for sure, but it's clear McD can't handle personalities that aren't in lock-step with him.  Most NFL coaches realize they have to and do grudgingly.  

8 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Run, Run, Pass, Punt

I would not be surprised to see them be more ball control, defensive-oriented.  I have a hard time seeing McClappy, even if he does get a young receiver or 2, playing them.  And less so featuring them. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would not be shocked if we package our 2025 1st and other picks to get a top WR this year. The Bills likely feel that two 2nd rounders next year (many are saying the one we just got is the Vikings pick so it will likely be high) is fine without a first rounder.

I also predict that now Josh will be more assertive and take no ***** from anyone on the offense now. No one will yell at Josh on the sidelines; he is now the man. I honestly feel like Steph, personality wise, was the alpha dog on the offense. And Josh didn't want to get in Steph's face and was too deferential. But it should be the QB. And now it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4