Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Kudos to BBB for making a move that will have some blasting him but makes sense for the Bills, even THIS season...we have a real GM, folks.

BBB.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SmokinES3 said:

31 million in dead cap. It would have cost just over 3 million to keep him???? Wow, talk about lies with everythinf being "fine"

It certainly raises questions as to what else they've lied and are currently lying about in the most secretive Bills organization in history.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, technobot said:

Was he toxic behind the scenes? I was sick of his passive-aggressive BS but I'm a Gen Xer who is sick of all social media anyway so wtf do I know (obligatory get off my lawn). And yes, I was thrilled for trading for him when it first happened, despite all of this being his MO.

Guess the brain trust is all in on eat our medicine now to set ourselves up for later. Just shocked it came to this considering the dead cap from Diggs' trade and already needing a #2, and now needing a #1.

He’s toxic.  He’s managed to alienate a lot of people in the last year or so.   Not jaw-dropping or violent stuff, but if it ever got out the consensus would easily be that he is a supreme a-hole.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This trade doesn't happen unless Allen tells Beane he's good with it.

Agreed.  And while I’m surprised I think back to Bill Walsh who said it’s better to get rid of a guy a year too early than a year too late.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't mind trading Diggs and I like the cap relief next year... I think they were just done dealing with him tbh...

But the compensation is terrible and I don't care what anyone says... Not getting something in 2024 is a massive failure for Beane because this may very well be the best WR Draft in recent memory. Sure Beane can dig his way out of it. But come on... He could not even get them to throw in a 3rd this year? Houston has 42, 86, 123 and 127 this year! He could not get ONE of those picks in a WR heavy Draft? It's not great...

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This trade doesn't happen unless Allen tells Beane he's good with it.

I don’t think Josh signs off on this at all. That’s just me though. 

2 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

This tells me the bills love one or all of the top three receivers in this draft and are going to make something happen captain.

….or maybe they love a 4th guy. The draft just got more interesting! 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

A 2025 second rounder. ***** this. Back to the same old Bills.

Look at the trade comp around the league. For Diggs’ age, contract, and the way his performance was trending last year I think it was pretty good.

Texans take on the risk that Diggs is washed, and we get a 2nd round pick. It might work out for them if Diggs turns it around, we’ll see.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, zevo said:

why? cuz we are smartly moving on from an aging wr

cause all the receivers we have now are either mediocre or still being developed. And we don't have much resources to make sure we can replace him. We got no cap room, and there is no guarantee we will get good value at drafting someone at 28.  we could be drafting the 6th best receiver at that point, and chances him him being as good as diggs isn't very high.

Idk about Diggs, either he was unhappy with the Bills last season or he’s in a decline either way I’m ok with this he faded last season. Move up draft a WR1.  We need to get younger and cheaper.

Like the idea of moving him but this was a bit one sided;

Buffalo will receive a 2025 second-round pick, originally from Minnesota. Houston will receive Diggs, a 2024 sixth-round pick, and a 2025 fifth-round pick. 

By trading Diggs before June 1, the Bills will incur a $31 million dead cap charge in 2024. Diggs is signed through 2027.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this makes a trade up extremely likely. Whether that’s for Nabers/Odunze or Brian Thomas we’ll see. The 2025 draft is now up to 10 picks.  This year we still have 9. 

Giving up the 2025 1st will still leave us with 2nds next year. I smell a trade up with the Bears or Saints coming. 

Seems like the Bills and Bears have a good working relationship 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Without a doubt.

Only thing is can they get there.

Other teams will know what they did and ask a kings ransom to move up.

Edited by davefan66
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

Terrible return on this trade. How much of a cancer does a guy have to be behind the scenes for you to eat 31M cap hit and get rid of WR1. 

you really can't judge the return without knowing all the details and I dont think we ever will

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I really don’t understand how the finances of this actually worked.

Basically they’re paying for a WR1 without actually having one. Which is why people thought they wouldn’t do it. But there are ways to have a WR1 next year on low cap hits. Thats why I was pushing to do it now so you can get a 2nd.

The RD2 pick we're getting next year is Minnesota's pick, correct?

So.. it could be top end of the second round next year. 

Have to believe next years RD1 is firmly in play this year as part of a trade up, whether that's into the top 8 or two get two guys in the next tier. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We'll have to see how all the numbers shake out in the long run. Texans could absolutely take on his bonus and most of his cap if they so choose. Most of the time teams dont, but it does happen. It's more a voluntary, sweeten the deal thing.

Just now, eball said:

Kudos to BBB for making a move that will have some blasting him but makes sense for the Bills, even THIS season...we have a real GM, folks.

BBB.jpeg

I disagree. I think he panicked. He had a diva WR he could no longer control and he took the best offer he could to unload him. Our cap is screwed and you can never rely on a rookie WR in their first year. This is bad

• Haha (+1) 2

I believe this is a trade that helps both clubs. Houston has deep threats and by getting Diggs, and likely converting him to a slot to pair with Tank Dell - they now have tremendously gifted intermediate guys and an elite deep threat in Nico Collins.

For Buffalo, they had an excess of guys who could run intermediate and underneath stuff with Shakir, both TEs and now Curtis Samuel. Diggs was the best of them, but the bills are better served with moving one of them and replacing with a true deep threat 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

I don't mind trading Diggs and I like the cap relief next year... I think they were just done dealing with him tbh...

But the compensation is terrible and I don't care what anyone says... Not getting something in 2024 is a massive failure for Beane because this may very well be the best WR Draft in recent memory. Sure Beane can dig his way out of it. But come on... He could not even get them to throw in a 3rd this year? Houston has 42, 86, 123 and 127 this year! He could not get ONE of those picks in a WR heavy Draft? It's not great...

You can now more confidently move a 2025 1st round pick as you now have minnesota and our own #2s.  Not every team can absorb Diggs cap hits (or wants to), but every team picking in the top half of the first round will have interest in a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2025 in a move-down scenario.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Having a good feel for Beane, the plan is to move up and geab their guy.  Brian Thomas is my best guess.  

OK, but move up with what?  We gonna trade away next year's first in a draft that's chock full of WRs?  

We got a 6th this year, which is worthless for any such trade.  The 2nd next year is hardly a golden carrot.  The 5th next year is also worthless for a trade.  

So out of curiosity, what do you think we trade to move up?  We have a 28th overall, a 60th overall, then again starting in the late 4th and day-3, which are generally useless for such a trade.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

dead cap,  is dead cap, how are they freeing up 27 mil in dead cap to make this happen

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I’m assuming that second is getting used in a trade up package this year but you never know 

I really don’t think it’s that off value wise assuming we’re getting at least a second…the tyreek hill trade just distorted everyone’s expectations.  If diggs was 5 years younger it’s a travesty 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

We'll have to see how all the numbers shake out in the long run. Texans could absolutely take on his bonus and most of his cap if they so choose. Most of the time teams dont, but it does happen. It's more a voluntary, sweeten the deal thing.

What bonus? The bills already paid his signing bonus, and they paid his 23 roster bonus. He doesn’t have any further bonus money left that’s not been prorated 

I don’t like the move in general because we give up a hard working high end player.  I do get the age thing.  I haven’t seen the picks we received.  I don’t love the cap cost.  I don’t love rewarding Josh for laziness which may be the root cause of all of this.  We’ll find that out together.  

All that said, Houston has Nico Collins and Tank Dell.  I don’t really get it for them.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, DanInUticaTampa said:

cause all the receivers we have now are either mediocre or still being developed. And we don't have much resources to make sure we can replace him. We got no cap room, and there is no guarantee we will get good value at drafting someone at 28.  we could be drafting the 6th best receiver at that point, and chances him him being as good as diggs isn't very high.

how good was diggs last half of season and playoffs? would you rather ride that out and hope for the best or eat it now...get a decent pick and start the soft rebuild this year setting up the next run with Allen?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1