IF (Caps IF), we clinch a playoff spot before the Dolphins game, would you rest Josh?

Virgil

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Listen, I know how important the #2 seed can be.  I don't want to downplay that at all.  However, if some of these reports out there are true and Josh is battling an injury that needs rest, would it make more sense to give Josh, and maybe some others, the week off?  I'm sure Hyde's neck could use a break too.

I'm sure this will get me flamed, but if playing on the road for the playoffs means that Josh is even 20% healthier, is that worth it?  

I'm not saying I would.  Maybe play him for a bit and see how he feels.  But I care more about a healthier Josh because we don't win without him. (Minus the Dallas game)

Virg, you know I like you, but my humble opinion is he plays until we beat Miami.  I spoke live with Donuts about this point, I wouldn’t pull him until we’re up by three touchdowns with less than 4 minutes left in the game.  Then just run Cook.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Need to get the 2 seed.  What if the Ravens get knocked off in the divisional round and the Bills become the de facto 1 seed. 

Happened to the Rams in 2022 although they were the 3 seed if I recall.  Point is the same. 

Edited by BillsfaninSB

Not a chance.

Considering how terrible Buffalo weather can get in January, I don't care quite as much about the homefield advantage.  Not such a huge advantage for our passing game.  But the path through the playoffs opponents-wise is much, much, much easier if we can nab the #2 seed.

In the Wild Card Round, the #2 Seed is going to play a home game against either the Steelers, Texans or Colts.  Meanwhile, the #6 seed gets will head to Arrowhead to play the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs.  

Assuming you emerge victorious, the #6 seed is pretty much guaranteed to face the Ravens in the Divisional Round.  Yikes.  The #2 seed could still end up playing the Chiefs (at home), but would also have a decent shot of playing the winner of the Browns/AFC South Winner.

Imagine a scenario where the Bills get the Colts, Jaguars and Dolphins (all at home) on the way to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 3

Flame Answer:

What the flying shuck tootin question is rattlin' inside that thinking shugget nugget of yours to come up with a yooshin' fuffin' mamby question like that??  You tie the laces to double knot the shoes!  Playoffs?????

Non-Flame Answer:

I think it's better to play him to ensure the #2 seed.  Hopefully, the game is out of hand and won early and Josh can be taken out to rest in the 4th.

p.s.  Appreciate your posts.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm not saying I would.  Maybe play him for a bit and see how he feels.  But I care more about a healthier Josh because we don't win without him. (Minus the Dallas game)

I have a better idea. Lets play Josh for the first 2.5 quarters, go up 31-3 and then let him rest for the remaining game. You get you wish and others are happy too

• Agree 1

Listen, I know how important the #2 seed can be.  I don't want to downplay that at all.  However, if some of these reports out there are true and Josh is battling an injury that needs rest, would it make more sense to give Josh, and maybe some others, the week off?  I'm sure Hyde's neck could use a break too.

I'm sure this will get me flamed, but if playing on the road for the playoffs means that Josh is even 20% healthier, is that worth it?  

Its an interesting question. The big unknown, is what is the benefit of a rest?  Is an unresteded Josh an 80% version, and a extra week rested Josh 100%.  If that ere the case, I would rather be on the road with 100% Josh in the wild card round, than home with the 80% Josh.   But I doubt an extra week makes that big of a difference. So just play Josh and try to win the game, would be my strategy. 

Completely separately, not playing Josh and losing, then losing on the road with a rested Josh in the first round of the playoffs would probably result in fans calling for McDermott's firing. 

I gave Virg a thumbs up,  even though I disagree with it. 

Play Josh and go for #2 seed and playoff games.

For war movie buffs ... think of Henry Fonda in Midway saying "I want that fourth carrier"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’d consider it only because of the known neck and finger issue. Plus there’s the rumor of an injured shoulder as well. A week off could go a long way. 

The same goes for Diggs.

That said, I myself would like some home playoff games. Especially vs KC. Then add in our road record in the pos season.

It’s a tough call. 

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

This is a weird suggestion for someone of your intelligence and insight for the game. I’m thinking this isn’t the real Virgil.  

I saw the poster and just wrote it off as obvious sarcasm.  See his game predictions.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Airseven said:

Bills don't win road playoff games. They can't rest Allen.

We had 2 home games last year and almost lost to a 3rd string backup and then got manhandled and embarrassed by the Bengals.  Im not so sure homefield is as important as you think.  And don't get me wrong, I am all for playing Allen and going for the 2 seed...but our offense has struggled in bad weather games at home in the past.  

If we clinch playoff spot before game time I would only rest those that are dealing with any injuries. Offense has not looked good specifically passing the ball. Josh is going to need to play his best football next 6 weeks for this team to have any shot at sniffing the Super Bowl. So I would like them to play for the division if healthy and work through their offensive issues but could accept resting people as last resort.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hell no! Any chance we have to get a possible 2nd home game and the possibility for once to play KC in Buffalo if necessary. 

Gotta go for the 2 seed at all costs. 

You want to rest starters? Get up 21 points at the half then sit em.

More like 42 points 21 at the half might not be enough 

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

There is zero evidence that Josh has an injury that would significantly benefit from a week off.  So the entire premise of your post is nonsensical.

On the other hand, the Dolphins are facing this question with quite a few guys in their roster.

37 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

More like 42 points 21 at the half might not be enough 

Nah. 

Down 21 points at the half at home with all their injuries and knowing they have a playoff spot already is enough for them to break camp and not risk another player.

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

Would you sell a uncashed $500M winning lottery ticket for $1M?

8 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

If it was JUST about home/road I'd consider it depending on how badly sore he is.  But this is about quality of opponents too.  We need to be able to avoid Baltimore in the second round.

Correct.  We win and everyone knows we’re the 2nd seed, amd get two home playoff games before we face Baltimore.  We need to pull out all the stops to win.  Josh running, fake reverses, literally whatever it takes and get Diggs the darn ball.

Hell no. This team hasn't proven anything, and the upside of a big win and homefield until AFC championship game is better than the downside of an injury that might put the nail in the coffin of an otherwise snakebitten season. This team desperately needs something really good to happen. Let's aim for that and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Now it's moot.

They obviously have no choice but to play everyone tomorrow night. 

And no...I see no way the Jags lose.

I actually saw the Jags losing as the most likely scenario for the Bills to clinch early.  TLaw is no where near 100% and the Titans play them well.  But we shall see 

This is looking like the scenario, but HELL NO! 

The Bills are going to be even more dangerous tonight. A *Nothing to lose* mentally is more welcome when they know that at the worst, they locked up already. If it was Division or out, then the Bills would understandably play more tight. Which means our coach…. Would literally be an inside-out sphincter. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.