Are you ready to marry Brady? (Joe)

Mikie2times

58 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

-The 4 weeks prior to Dorsey being let go we ranked 8th in EPA on offense and scored 21.5 PPG. Both those numbers only go up if you take that data back further. 

-The 3 weeks Brady has been OC we rank 8th in EPA on offense and scored 28.6 PPG. 

We have generated almost 7 more PPG in the sample with Brady but in the same sample our defense ranked 9th in EPA vs 32nd in the previous 4 when Dorsey was here. 

Still too early, but I do want to point out that not all games are created equal.

Green = Top 10 defense

Yellow = 10-22 defense

Red = Bottom 10 defense

Dorsey:

Jets: Defensive DVOA Rank: 3rd ... 16 points scored

Raiders: Defensive Rank: 16th ... 38 points

Commanders: Defensive Rank: 32nd ... 37 points

Dolphins: Defensive Rank: 11th ... 48 points

Jaguars: Defensive Rank: 8th ... 20 points

Giants: Defensive Rank: 25th ... 14 points

Patriots: Defensive Rank: 10th ... 25 points

Buccaneers: Defensive Rank: 17th ... 24 points

Bengals: Defensive Rank: 26th ... 18 points

Broncos: Defensive Rank: 30th ... 22 points

Brady:

Jets: Defensive DVOA Rank: 3rd ... 32 points

Eagles: Defensive Rank: 20th ... 37 points

Cheifs: Defensive Rank: 9th ... 20 points

Dorsey had some horrible offensive games against bad defensive teams. Eagles aren't bad.

Joe Brady hasn't, but again ... too early. I like what I've seen thus far.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

If we're going to make Brady our OC then we better be ready to make him a HC since any OC that has a bit of success will be on the next short list of HC candidates.

And if we're going to sit on a carousel of OCs with McDefense at the helm, it's unlikely we never get anything going.

For the crowd that is scared to fire McD because of what that turn over might mean and having to re-build, get ready for the same thing with OCs constantly leaving.

Promote Brady to OC, and if it works out next year, be ready to promote him to HC. Such is the modern NFL.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Thought he shoulda ran more play action yesterday, and also some no huddle. He could've also handled the last 2 mins better. Kc had 3(?) timeouts left and we needed to find a way to make them burn those. Instead they threw it 3 times and essentially gave kc 3 more timeouts

The time management and play calling ending the half & game were bad.  Andy never burns late TO's unless he absolutely has to.

• Like (+1) 1

I was ready for the engagement after 500 yards at Philly.  But yesterday gave me pause. Gonna need to see if they can crank up the O a bit more in coming weeks against teams they should move the ball against.  Seattle hung a bunch of points on Dallas.  They are not as tough defensively as KC in my opinion.

The offense feels a lot more multidimensional than before.  There's less dependence on the Allen- Diggs connection, and much less dependence on Josh being Superman.  I'm appreciative of these changes, for sure.  

However, we still have problems with wideouts getting separation.

And we still have the problem that Kurt Warner's continually harps on: Josh still often chooses the hard yards over the easy yards.  It makes for great highlights when it works but it also leads to TOs and stalled drives.  

And I hope this offseason, like I hope every offseason, that Beane upgrades the OL.  They weren't good in the second half of yesterday's game.  A better OL will make Cook a better runner, Josh a better (and healthier) QB, and Brady a better playcaller.  

To soon, although he is a noticeable step up from Dorsey, need to see how the rest of the season plays out, 

I said it during the game but I think Spags was in his head a bit.

He must have guessed KC was going to blitz a lot, as there seemed to be what, 8 WR screens yesterday?

I hope they go back to more 11 personnel and dictate terms, opposed to reacting to what they think the D is doing to them.

Spread them out, let Josh cook, and get James cook the ball in space 

The second half play calling wasn't great, but it's still better that what we had with Dorsey.  The Bills were also on the road against a good KC team with a good defense in a very loud stadium.  I didn't love the passes on the final drive, but it didn't look like they were going to be able to get the first down on the ground, so I assume they thought having the ball in Allen's hands was the best way to try and get it.   Mahomes doesn't need much time to drive down the field (as we know all too well, unfortunately), so even if they ran the ball and KC used it timeouts up, there would have been plenty of time left for KC if the Bills didn't get the first down.   

Regardless of what we think/feel on this board, Brady will be the OC the rest of this season and, in my opinion, that will be enough of a sample size for me to know if I'd want him to stay in the role for next season.  I'd be inclined to stay with him if I had to make the choice right now, but I'll wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. 

He was found out very quickly yesterday  by a canny old bull. However, that’s to be expected. His whole vibe and MO is fantastic. 

That whole Dorsey tantrum last season should have been the warning. An uptight, intense guy try to lead a cool and carefree offense. Was never going to work. A dull logician who has no respect for magic. 

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't like that the second half got away from the run game and passing to the Rbs especially Cook but I'm willing to give him until the end of the year. I don't get the hate on that final drive though where we threw to Diggs on first down. That is a catch 99% and is a running play but Diggs dropping it really screwed up the flow at that point. That's on Diggs not Brady.

47 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I would think McD has his hands full running the D and being a head coach during the game

It’s not hard to call your OC on the headset and tell him what you want him doing as far as game plan. It’s exactly what HCs do every single week. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Very unimpressed with his 2nd half performance.

he’s an upgrade over Dorsey. That’s as far as I’ll go so far. 

Yep.

Our offense blew in the second half.. doesn’t help that Josh was under duress for most of it. 
Also need to take that stupid WR screen out of the playbook. It doesn’t work!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

The 2nd half was a head-scratcher - but I'm willing to give a pass on that, especially against KC's D, which is one of the best.  Overall, he's been really good.

The 3 passes at the end, though....

That irked me. Run the ball on first and you get to the 2 minute warning going into second down.  I'm sure they'll discuss that one for future reference.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Brady is utilizing the talent he has better than Dorsey did . This team has some weapons and using the backs they have in the run game more consistently (and haven't even used Fournette as of yet) makes a big difference in opening up some other areas of the field .

If this team can hit it's stride now it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit . GO BILLS !!!!!

Edited by T master

I felt the yesterday's game was the first time Brady has faced real adversity as an offensive playcaller, and I can't say I was particularly impressed with the results.

I like Brady so far. I feel he's a better play caller than Dorsey. He has better sequencing and more logical use of plays, he uses them to set up future plays, and he seems to have a better feel for game flow than Dorsey did. He also seems less like he's just randomly calling plays and more like his gameplans and playcalls have purpose.

All of that having been said, the Chiefs defense adjusted in the second half to what the Bills were doing, and Brady mostly failed to counter-punch. Specifically, he got away from what was working with James Cook (yes, I understand this his pass blocking deficiencies will keep him off the field at times), abandoned the run, stuck with the WR screens too long, failed to get the WRs meaningfully involved (other than those screens), and had a bad end-of-game sequence on the Bills' final offensive drive.

No play-caller is great 100% of the time. Sometimes, you get outcoached. Steve Spagnuolo is a veteran and very savvy DC, so it's forgivable that his very formidable Chiefs defense, playing in Arrowhead, got the better of Brady's offense in the second half. 

Going forward, I'll be interested to see how he rebounds after faltering a bit down the stretch in Kansas City. Can he get Diggs more consistently involved? Can he keep the run game and James Cook humming, and stick with them when they're working? Can he generally keep up the offensive production and avoid stagnation as opposing defenses have more of a "book" on what he likes to do as a playcaller?

Early returns are good, and I'm cautiously optimistic. But I am not yet ready to crown Joe Brady or commit to him as offensive coordinator for next season. I need to see how the rest of the year plays out.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Very unimpressed with his 2nd half performance.

he’s an upgrade over Dorsey. That’s as far as I’ll go so far. 

On the flip side, we also seem to get off to a much faster start under Brady.   That's huge, playing with a lead.

I think Brady will be here next year, not only due to what the offense has shown under his guidance but the upbeat/energy he brings.  He's a good fit.

Also went against 2 teams on the road- and a strong Jets defense at home.  Chiefs have a top 10 defense this season, Jets top 5...he's shown the moment isn't too big for him.

• Agree 1

If I do decide to propose, there will certain speculations to my betrothal. They are as follows:

-Get Cook more involved (20+ touches per game)

-Stop the damn bubble screens to Diggs. They make me sad and unhappy

-Feature Kincaid until teams decide to stop blanketing coverage towards Diggs

-Other stuff I can't think of at the moment

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

We had a 1st down with 2:11 left and the Chiefs only had 2 TO. We called 3 straight pass plays… idk how you could mess that situation up as a play caller. It was awful

Let’s not crown Brady yet. 

I watched his interview earlier, pretty sure he said Josh had the opportunity to run or throw the screen which he felt I basically a run. Diggs dropped the ball and he decided he likes his chances getting into the endzone with Josh throwing twice instead of running and only getting a yard or two.  

He also will need a full off season to implement his own variances in the playbook and the playcalling.   Right now he is still running Dorsey's offense with some changes he felt may help the team.  Also, to be fair to Brady, he may not even have the personnel he needs to run his plays.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.