Do you find yourself after every big play looking for/dreading a flag?

Billsfan1972

NFL refs have too much influence on the game and are responsible for the disjointed flow of the game. I only want blatant penalties called, nothing questionable or ticky tack. I want roughing the passer to genuinely be roughing the passer. If something happens that doesn’t affect the outcome of the play, don’t throw the flag, or pick it up. Tired of the refs and tired of talking about their incompetence. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Thinking about Sunday vs. Cincy and the worry is will fans be complaining the next day about officials.

Every game after every important play or basically any play that is beyond 5 seconds in developing, be it a big gain or 3rd or 4th down stop, I find myself looking for a flag.

Oh, Yeah.  The Titans first two drives in the Thursday night game vs Pittsburgh were just BRUTAL to watch.  Brilliant defensive play, sack, tackler has both arms down trying not to land full body weight on the QB, "roughing the passer" etc etc etc.  Flag Flag Flag Flag.

I thought Tomlin was going to swallow his headset, starting with the mic

Edited by Beck Water

48 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Yes. Expect it on every single kick or punt return as well. When the announcer have to say “no flags” after every big play, that tells you all you need to know. That shouldn’t even be required speech when announcing a long TD play. 

It does tell you all you need to know.

It tells you that a flag is a possibility and that it's worth eliminating that possibility for an audience that can't see any part of the field beyond the small bit where the camera is focused, usually on one guy holding a ball.

Edited by Thurman#1

I wonder if the league could put more emphasis on only calling penalties that directly impact the play. 

That Colts-Browns game where the strip sack got called off was for a penalty that had no bearing on the play. 

Those types of penalties are impacting the game when the infractions had no impact on the play. 

• Like (+1) 1

The issue is defensive holding and illegal contact penalties..........and the reason they seem to be up on big downs is that more and more defenses are adopting the approach of preventing big plays at all costs.  Because there are more dynamic receiving weapons in the NFL than ever before.  

The influx of talent at WR since 2017 has been unprecedented.    We used to see an occasional big year.......like the great 1996 or 2014 draft classes..................now there are a bunch of studs joining the ranks from almost every class.    And this is after terrible WR classes in 2015-2016 that had a team like the Chiefs paying Sammy Watkins top of the league money coming off a down season.

The offensive rules changes in 2010 followed by the subsequent rise of travel team flag football where young players are allowed to really hone their skills in the pass game has created a lot more QB and WR talent.    

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely, and one of the most annoying things is listening to Al Michaels announce a game. Not sure if he's still doing it but after pretty much every play he'd announce whether there was a flag or not.

I don't think any team gets more or less calls than another (although I'd make an exception for Brady's Pats), it's just constant and also inconsistent for everyone.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. But it's not just on big plays. And it's not just Bills games.

Seems like every televised NFL game is flag after flag after flag. Thursday night as the most recent example.

I'm to the point where I'd rather not see any penalty called, even when they do deserve it. Or even on the team the Bills are playing! Just let them all play, even if it's on the dirty side.

I cant stand "The Ref Show" the NFL is turning into where these guys in stripes are getting more air time than the players.

I think we would be happy with Consistency from the referees.  My vote for the OP was yes because we as fans never know what decisions the zebras are going to make to screw us over wether justified or not. Each game is its own officiating debacle it seems.  

That's a sucky attitude so all I can say is pray to the football gods amigos.  What other control do we have?

EDIT: the football gods are fickle and the  devil in disguise don't pray to them. 

the question of bad officiating will linger until there is an answer. we're waiting.........impatiently for an answer

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Yes. It ruins the game. I ask myself “are they that undisciplined or is it the refs?” I had to walk away from the Jags game. It was unwatchable. A penalty can be called on almost every play if the refs want to. Makes me wonder if they sometime get “the call” from Vegas. 
Maybe there should be no penalties.  Refs just spot the ball and determine possession. Next man up.

The Jags game was the turning point for me as well and making me not be a fan of the NFL in general because the officials take the fun out of the game.  The delayed flags 10 seconds after the play are the worst.  I haven’t watched any football since the Jags game and I’m not sure when I will again.

Yep.  Been like that for years.  It’s terrible for the sport.  

Joe Buck got to the point where when a big play happens he’s saying as it unfolds (enters the end zone) “no flags” and he’s in or something like that.   

And every punt return - I guarantee the percentage of flags on punt that are returned are over 50%

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

The Jags game was the turning point for me as well and making me not be a fan of the NFL in general because the officials take the fun out of the game.  The delayed flags 10 seconds after the play are the worst.  I haven’t watched any football since the Jags game and I’m not sure when I will again.

If only I (and the vast majority of others) had the will power to do this, the NFL would be forced to adjust because viewership is their money press. We all complain about roughing the passer specifically, but when Goodell comes out and makes a nonsense comment that “officiating has never been in a better place,” there’s no impetus to change. The fans, disgusted as they are, keep watching so money keeps flowing. The public has the power to change the product, but short of people refusing to watch, the NFL can do what it wants and tell us “we don’t care about your b*tching.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, and I agree that it's ruining the game.

If any team (not just the Bills) make a 3rd or especially 4th down stop in a big moment there's a flag seemingly 3/4 of the time to extend the drive.

Between illegal contact, defensive holding, or pass interference there's always a call there to get made and the WR will flip out and spastically scream for a flag as the crowd is going nuts and you just know it's going to be thrown.

Which is why you have to do everything possible to take it out of the refs hands at the end of the game. Make sure you're up by 9+ points when the opponent has their final drive or You're playing against them and the refs 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

What annoys me is watching literally every receiver throw his hands up after every incidental contact. If I was a ref, and started throwing a flag, and those arms go up, I'm putting the flag right back in my pocket. 

I actually think those looking for a flag gestures should start being flagged as unsportsmanlike. See how quickly that gets shut down after the first few are flagged for unsportsmanlike. Everytime they don’t catch the ball, throw the arms up or make the flag pulling from the waistband gesture. 

• Agree 2

It's a plague across the league and the NFL is allowing the officials to dictate games. I've seen more great defensive stops only to get a phantom holding penalty on the defense that prolongs a drive. The part that is infuriating to me is that there is no standard, no set of rules that apply equally to all players. There  is no defined rule for defensive holding, pass interference or roughing the passer. It varies from ref to ref, game to game and if it's borderline, the refs decide the game. I absolutely hate that about the NFL this year.  Indy-Cleveland game was a perfect example of the refs throwing a game.  It's got to stop, But it won't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

no, only a moron thinks like that.  flags usually even out over the course of a game and certainly over the course of a season.  For example both the Giants and Bucs games probably should have been losses, but PI was not called on the last play of each game.   Karma's a B word; those blown calls will come back (or maybe/hopefully already have) to bite us.  

Sorry, but on replay, there is a plethora of stupid choices by a roster plagued by undisciplined play.  How many times are guys grabbing face masks, making contact on third and very longs?  Not like this season is some outlier.  Some franchises seem to actually play more intelligently. Critical drops, routes running into each other, and players more worried about their post play celebrations have found little consequence with this staff.  Thurm rarely did selfish things, Talley led by example. Today after a pick the dbs have to run for their instagram pose. Maybe someday they will grasp its about team. It’s all about my rodeo dance now,,,,Bernard gives me hope as a TEAM leader.   How bout expecting more from the players than the refs?   Hmmm,unique concept. 

• Eyeroll 1

The NFL needs good data on penalties to understand the problems.

Hire officials fulltime

Have every play of every game reviewed by 3 different officials.

Were penalties that were called correct?

Were there penalties that could have/should have been called. 

Is there consistency between the three reviewers?

Use these reviews to grade the refs who called the games. 

Reviewing every play would be tedious, but should help the officials be more accurate and consistent. The NFL has enough money to pay for this. 

With the data, you can learn where there are problems with calls, which penalties are problematic, what rule changes might help

Honestly, the flags are ruining the game for me, I don’t even get excited anymore, just waiting for the flag.  I used to be very animated watching games, now I’m basically planted on the couch waiting for the zebras to decide who’s winning.  I’m real close to just not watching anymore.

It’s not just Bills games, it’s league wide.  It’s amazing how many late flags start flying when games aren’t going in Vegas’ favor.

Edited by DCofNC

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

no, only a moron thinks like that.  flags usually even out over the course of a game and certainly over the course of a season.  For example both the Giants and Bucs games probably should have been losses, but PI was not called on the last play of each game.   Karma's a B word; those blown calls will come back (or maybe/hopefully already have) to bite us.  

Last play of the game flags are not that common. This is well known and it’s league wide. 

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yes .. The most common celebration in my family is hesitant excitement and the refrain of “No flags!? No flags!?” .. as we wait 2-3 seconds before we celebrate. 

Same here. Been doing and saying the exact same thing for decades. And multiple times a game, especially on defense, you see the late flag, seconds after the play is over. 

I hold in my excitement during specific types of plays:

- Any special teams return. Feels like they will find a hold or block in the back somewhere.

- Defensive stop on 3rd or 4th down on a passing play. Prime opportunity for defensive holding totally away from where the ball was thrown.

- Successful run to the outside. They always seem to like to get that outside blocker for holding.

Also any pass for either team where there is hand fighting or contact. Who knows what they will call. It’s a difference standard from quarter to quarter.

Excess flags are becoming a major negative with this game ….I have watched a lot of games so far this year and it is seemingly becoming more prevalent…

The refs should let a few more of the “less obvious” holds/grabs go …and don’t even start on special teams plays..

Some of the roughing the passer calls are really tough on the defender … they have to be so careful not to hit them high and make sure their body weight doesn’t land on the QB… DE’s need to take so much care  how they attempt to tackle the QB  that it often leads to the QB escaping the pressure when they deserve to take the sack … 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.