Do you find yourself after every big play looking for/dreading a flag?

Billsfan1972

Thinking about Sunday vs. Cincy and the worry is will fans be complaining the next day about officials.

Every game after every important play or basically any play that is beyond 5 seconds in developing, be it a big gain or 3rd or 4th down stop, I find myself looking for a flag. 

When there is a sack, is there a roughing the passer call coming or was there defensive holding.  An incompletion are they going to call PI or a targeting penalty.

If the protection is too good, is there an offensive holding penalty.

Any kick or punt return there must be holding too.

Yep I expect Sunday at least 2 times Buffalo will appear to make a play and there will be a holding penalty on Chase or similar and I'll be cursing the TV.

Can promise you too Mahomes and Kelce will get a few too to prolong drives and the replay will show they ticky-tack at best.

I find it more and more ruining my enjoyment of football.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes. But it's not just on big plays. And it's not just Bills games.

Seems like every televised NFL game is flag after flag after flag. Thursday night as the most recent example.

I'm to the point where I'd rather not see any penalty called, even when they do deserve it. Or even on the team the Bills are playing! Just let them all play, even if it's on the dirty side.

I cant stand "The Ref Show" the NFL is turning into where these guys in stripes are getting more air time than the players.

• Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes. It ruins the game. I ask myself “are they that undisciplined or is it the refs?” I had to walk away from the Jags game. It was unwatchable. A penalty can be called on almost every play if the refs want to. Makes me wonder if they sometime get “the call” from Vegas. 
Maybe there should be no penalties.  Refs just spot the ball and determine possession. Next man up.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Yes. It ruins the game. I ask myself “are they that undisciplined or is it the refs?” I had to walk away from the Jags game. It was unwatchable. A penalty can be called on almost every play if the refs want to. Makes me wonder if they sometime get “the call” from Vegas. 
Maybe there should be no penalties.  Refs just spot the ball and determine possession. Next man up.

When the Bucs got the ball back down 14, when the hot line with all the juice had them covering +9.5, I knew they were going to be handed every opportunity to score a TD. And sure enough, flag after flag after flag. MULTIPLE flags on drive ending plays. They get their TD. Mission Accomplished, Refs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Yes, didnt even celebrate that Diggs long TD vs I think Miami earlier this year cuz I saw the flag come out on it. It's league wide now and the viewing experience is terrible. 

Yes but by the same token week after week we also hear "blatant hold...no flag". "He pushed off...no flag". And so on and so forth. 

So, if they don't throw flags everyone cries that the games are rigged and they miss everything...and if they do throw a flag then they are "flag happy and want to insert themselves into the game.".

Realistically, I feel like the refs about 90% of the time are just used as a method for fans to vent why their team lost. Happens every week for all teams that play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

The real frustrating part is how inconsistent the calls are. Even during the same game, let alone same to game.

They'll let guys "hand fight" with Diggs all over the field, but the second Taron touches a WR - FLAG.

Then they give us a "make up call" on the next drive with some ticky-tack holding call against our opponent. Like that makes it better. But really just pisses off the OTHER fans as well.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yes .. The most common celebration in my family is hesitant excitement and the refrain of “No flags!? No flags!?” 

I didnt even realize this until you said it but now I'm remembering multiple instances of my wife and I high-fiving and being like "No Flags!".

Disgusting, NFL. Disgusting.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes but by the same token week after week we also hear "blatant hold...no flag". "He pushed off...no flag". And so on and so forth. 

So, if they don't throw flags everyone cries that the games are rigged and they miss everything...and if they do throw a flag then they are "flag happy and want to insert themselves into the game.".

Realistically, I feel like the refs about 90% of the time are just used as a method for fans to vent why their team lost. Happens every week for all teams that play.

The Refs did a good job keeping the flags in their pockets in our Raiders game. Only 6 total flags thrown all game (as opposed to 19 flags in our Jags game, and 20 flags in the Bucs game).

I'd take that every time. Even if there were a couple blatant holds that went uncalled. As long as they are going to let both teams play, then I'm good with it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Refs did a good job keeping the flags in their pockets in our Raiders game. Only 6 total flags thrown all game (as opposed to 19 flags in our Jags game, and 20 flags in the Bucs game).

I'd take that every time. Even if there were a couple blatant holds that went uncalled. As long as they are going to let both teams play, then I'm good with it.

That's the key for me. Keep it consistent. It's no different than an umpire in baseball. Every umpire has a different strikezone. As long as it's the same for both teams it's fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.