Do you find yourself after every big play looking for/dreading a flag?

Billsfan1972

Yes, and I agree that it's ruining the game.

If any team (not just the Bills) make a 3rd or especially 4th down stop in a big moment there's a flag seemingly 3/4 of the time to extend the drive.

Between illegal contact, defensive holding, or pass interference there's always a call there to get made and the WR will flip out and spastically scream for a flag as the crowd is going nuts and you just know it's going to be thrown.

Which is why you have to do everything possible to take it out of the refs hands at the end of the game. Make sure you're up by 9+ points when the opponent has their final drive or You're playing against them and the refs 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

What annoys me is watching literally every receiver throw his hands up after every incidental contact. If I was a ref, and started throwing a flag, and those arms go up, I'm putting the flag right back in my pocket. 

I actually think those looking for a flag gestures should start being flagged as unsportsmanlike. See how quickly that gets shut down after the first few are flagged for unsportsmanlike. Everytime they don’t catch the ball, throw the arms up or make the flag pulling from the waistband gesture. 

• Agree 2

It's a plague across the league and the NFL is allowing the officials to dictate games. I've seen more great defensive stops only to get a phantom holding penalty on the defense that prolongs a drive. The part that is infuriating to me is that there is no standard, no set of rules that apply equally to all players. There  is no defined rule for defensive holding, pass interference or roughing the passer. It varies from ref to ref, game to game and if it's borderline, the refs decide the game. I absolutely hate that about the NFL this year.  Indy-Cleveland game was a perfect example of the refs throwing a game.  It's got to stop, But it won't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

no, only a moron thinks like that.  flags usually even out over the course of a game and certainly over the course of a season.  For example both the Giants and Bucs games probably should have been losses, but PI was not called on the last play of each game.   Karma's a B word; those blown calls will come back (or maybe/hopefully already have) to bite us.  

Sorry, but on replay, there is a plethora of stupid choices by a roster plagued by undisciplined play.  How many times are guys grabbing face masks, making contact on third and very longs?  Not like this season is some outlier.  Some franchises seem to actually play more intelligently. Critical drops, routes running into each other, and players more worried about their post play celebrations have found little consequence with this staff.  Thurm rarely did selfish things, Talley led by example. Today after a pick the dbs have to run for their instagram pose. Maybe someday they will grasp its about team. It’s all about my rodeo dance now,,,,Bernard gives me hope as a TEAM leader.   How bout expecting more from the players than the refs?   Hmmm,unique concept. 

• Eyeroll 1

The NFL needs good data on penalties to understand the problems.

Hire officials fulltime

Have every play of every game reviewed by 3 different officials.

Were penalties that were called correct?

Were there penalties that could have/should have been called. 

Is there consistency between the three reviewers?

Use these reviews to grade the refs who called the games. 

Reviewing every play would be tedious, but should help the officials be more accurate and consistent. The NFL has enough money to pay for this. 

With the data, you can learn where there are problems with calls, which penalties are problematic, what rule changes might help

Honestly, the flags are ruining the game for me, I don’t even get excited anymore, just waiting for the flag.  I used to be very animated watching games, now I’m basically planted on the couch waiting for the zebras to decide who’s winning.  I’m real close to just not watching anymore.

It’s not just Bills games, it’s league wide.  It’s amazing how many late flags start flying when games aren’t going in Vegas’ favor.

Edited by DCofNC

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

no, only a moron thinks like that.  flags usually even out over the course of a game and certainly over the course of a season.  For example both the Giants and Bucs games probably should have been losses, but PI was not called on the last play of each game.   Karma's a B word; those blown calls will come back (or maybe/hopefully already have) to bite us.  

Last play of the game flags are not that common. This is well known and it’s league wide. 

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yes .. The most common celebration in my family is hesitant excitement and the refrain of “No flags!? No flags!?” .. as we wait 2-3 seconds before we celebrate. 

Same here. Been doing and saying the exact same thing for decades. And multiple times a game, especially on defense, you see the late flag, seconds after the play is over. 

I hold in my excitement during specific types of plays:

- Any special teams return. Feels like they will find a hold or block in the back somewhere.

- Defensive stop on 3rd or 4th down on a passing play. Prime opportunity for defensive holding totally away from where the ball was thrown.

- Successful run to the outside. They always seem to like to get that outside blocker for holding.

Also any pass for either team where there is hand fighting or contact. Who knows what they will call. It’s a difference standard from quarter to quarter.

Excess flags are becoming a major negative with this game ….I have watched a lot of games so far this year and it is seemingly becoming more prevalent…

The refs should let a few more of the “less obvious” holds/grabs go …and don’t even start on special teams plays..

Some of the roughing the passer calls are really tough on the defender … they have to be so careful not to hit them high and make sure their body weight doesn’t land on the QB… DE’s need to take so much care  how they attempt to tackle the QB  that it often leads to the QB escaping the pressure when they deserve to take the sack … 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.