Do you find yourself after every big play looking for/dreading a flag?

Billsfan1972

My whole life of watching football because there's a possibility of a flag on every play.  At least watching the game at the stadium you can see the ref throw it if the flag occurs during the play.  This is basically just a whining about too many flags being thrown thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

My whole life of watching football because there's a possibility of a flag on every play.  At least watching the game at the stadium you can see the ref throw it if the flag occurs during the play.  This is basically just a whining about too many flags being thrown thread.

Yep.

One of the things I find funny though is that the NFL took the ultra-violence out of the passing game by protecting "defenseless" QB's and WR's............and now there is way more contact in the secondary on any given play than at any point since the league first significantly changed how pass interference was called in the 1970's.    

What passes for "incidental contact" or "hand fighting" nowadays would have been called a mugging in the early 1990's when Bills teams were going to SB's.

The old way of playing pass defense was to stay close to the receiver and then when the ball gets to him put your helmet on his chin or undercut them and flip them on their head.........and knock him out cold if possible.   That addressed the pass defense challenge on many levels.

Since the defense can't do that anymore they gotta' clutch and grab like mad and with more crazy arm talent and dynamic receivers entering the league every season the NFL kinda' has to find a way allow a lot of that or every game would be a boat race.

• Like (+1) 1

Football is the only sport I’m aware of in which the officials throw laundry onto the playing surface to indicate a violation of the rules. We’re used to it by now, but if you think about it, it’s sort of gay. Slightly less gay than the hand signal for a safety. 

The league is a real mess across the board. When you need an another head tv ref in the booth justifying and explaining flags for damage control you’ve got a real problem moving forward. I don’t think the league survives another decade without major changes.

Edited by Governor

Always.

I think the league needs to go back to 10 yard cushion for illegal contact and also eliminate the automatic 1st down for defensive fouls. I never understood why most defensive calls are automatically 1st down? The penalty and replaying the down is enough. Maybe if the fouls occurred inside the end zone it’s an automatic 1st.

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

The league is a real mess across the board. When you need an another head tv ref in the booth justifying and explaining flags for damage control you’ve got a real problem moving forward. I don’t think the league survives another decade without major changes.

I like when the TV ref contradicts the flag on the field OR says a review should stand and then it’s overturned (or vice versa). Just goes to show the level of subjectivity between two different people looking at the same play. Really shouldn’t be that way.
And the league will continue to survive as long as people keep watching. Remember, the commissioner of the NFL who was just extended to another monster contract said “officiating has never been better than it is today.” He and apparently the owners are fine with it all… because that money keeps rolling in.

• Like (+1) 1

I see cornerbacks arm-bar WRs and grab and hold jerseys all the time — but the consistency with the calls is not there.

Make it consistent.  There's way too much variance — both within the same games and across the entire league. The league wants higher scoring, so be it. Just don't call PI on one team and not the other for the same general defensive play. 

Ideally, implement a standard every game is close to maintaining for defensive PI and I'll be a lot happier. And so, I think, would most fans.

21 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I like when the TV ref contradicts the flag on the field OR says a review should stand and then it’s overturned (or vice versa). Just goes to show the level of subjectivity between two different people looking at the same play. Really shouldn’t be that way.
And the league will continue to survive as long as people keep watching. Remember, the commissioner of the NFL who was just extended to another monster contract said “officiating has never been better than it is today.” He and apparently the owners are fine with it all… because that money keeps rolling in.

Like they just did there. Shameful.

It served as a worthy time to go to bed last night when the announcers on the radio complained repeatedly about the refs screwing the Bills in ways that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. In a way it is really quite freeing. Sure, I would prefer if the Bills did well, but at this point it makes no sense to literally lose sleep hoping that the refs will let the Bills succeed when they are so ready to let their presence be felt to make sure that the correct outcome is reached.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.