Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

Cover1 had it first, then saw this report that Josh Norman is gonna be activated tonight: 

https://x.com/thebillsguys/status/1717597828724531307?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

If it’s true you have to think that’s the end of Elam here. A colossal waste and I’m not really happy with how we handled him at all. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

I don't like it...the dude has shown the ability to play well at times. If anything the way they have handled him has destroyed his confidence more than anything.  What a waste. Guarantee if he goes somewhere else and gets a chance within a year we will regret that in a Wyatt Teller sort of way, although I wouldn't go as far as saying he will become an all-pro.

This is the limitation of McD on D.  He would rather play low end players who are safer with limited upside than potential high end players that may require some time to get there.  No other team in the NFL would be having Benford, Jackson and Ingram play in place of Elam.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

What would we even expect to get for a 1st rounder in his 2nd season that has barely played?  4th or 5th if lucky?

That's not the type of trade that Beane would normally make unless they truly think there is no hope for him.

Edited by The Wiz

Just now, The Wiz said:

What would we even expect to get for a 1st rounder in his 2nd season that has barely played?  4th or 5th if lucky?

Most likely or just a swap of late rounders - like 6th and Elam for a 5th. Pointless if you ask me, I would only do it for another player a team is looking to unload. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I don't like it...the dude has shown the ability to play well at times. If anything the way they have handled him has destroyed his confidence more than anything.  What a waste. Guarantee if he goes somewhere else and gets a chance within a year we will regret that in a Wyatt Teller sort of way, although I wouldn't go as far as saying he will become an all-pro.

If he goes to a team that doesn't run the 10 yard cushion zone, then yes he will likely succeed. Terrible wasted pick.  Too bad McDuffie went earlier.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Another Beane failure. 

Cant believe it was not only a first round pick but we gave a 4th to move up 2 spots for him? So Dallas would not pick him? Meanwhile McBeane would not "waste" a 4th on trading for a player at the deadline. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is the limitation of McD on D.  He would rather play low end players who are safer with limited upside than potential high end players that may require some time to get there.  No other team in the NFL would Benford, Jackson and Ingram play in place of Elam.

But we have no idea how he was handled.  Pure speculation.

No other teams would play Benford and Jackson over Elam?  Get a grip.  You’re about to drive off the edge with this nonsense.  Benford is pretty good.  Jackson has been improving season after season.  Both are great tacklers. 

Elam was a press man corner that sucked at tackling. He’s always had problems being too handsy.  If we didn’t reach for him, he may have been a 3rd rd pick.  His upside is in his physical ability and that’s all.  He has an opportunity vs Jax and was able to get smoked on every 3rd down he was targeted

maybe every team in the league would’ve been starting Shawn Oakman over DTs that actually had a clue how to play the position.  But probably not.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am not ready to blame the coaching staff at this point.  Maybe the guy is just not good or lacks the ability to pick-up and play in a system.  I recall that there were concerns with his tackling coming out of college, and he does seem to have a tendency to grab and hold receivers, as evidenced in both training camp and during the season, even with his limited playing time.

Whatever is going on, it is not good.  We need our first round picks to be, at a minimum, solid contributors, particularly in their second season with the team.

Elam is this FO's worst pick to date because Elam excelled at man coverage in college.  

The risk that he would not develop into a zone corner was high from the moment he was selected.    I always felt the mistake was on the Bills for having the hubris that their coaching could transform him.  

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Dallas swapped 2nd round cb bust kelvin joseph to miami for their 1st round cb bust Noah Igbinoghene.

I imagine that is the type of deal that can happen if they were to trade elam at some point.

Good call. Or a Sheppard/Hughes trade as well.

Any recent 1st round DTs that arent active?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Cover1 had it first, then saw this report that Josh Norman is gonna be activated tonight: 

https://x.com/thebillsguys/status/1717597828724531307?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

If it’s true you have to think that’s the end of Elam here. A colossal waste and I’m not really happy with how we handled him at all. 

I'm not trading him when his value is absolute 0.  Whats the point of a 2023 pick swap?  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

Norman is going to miss Matlock for this?  I dont think so

He only signed up because he thought the game was in Tampa near his retirement home. Going to go right from the field to the shuffle board tournament. Margaret better not eat all the cucumber sandwiches before he gets there this week!

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No other teams would play Benford and Jackson over Elam?  Get a grip.  You’re about to drive off the edge with this nonsense.  Benford is pretty good.  Jackson has been improving season after season.  Both are great tacklers. 

Elam was a press man corner that sucked at tackling. He’s always had problems being too handsy.  If we didn’t reach for him, he may have been a 3rd rd pick.  His upside is in his physical ability and that’s all.  He has an opportunity vs Jax and was able to get smoked on every 3rd down he was targeted

maybe every team in the league would’ve been starting Shawn Oakman over DTs that actually had a clue how to play the position.  But probably not.  

Yeah...seems about right...trot a dude out for real game action for the first time in 9 months and then when he surprise, surprise sucks never play him again. It's not like Ridley is some bum, the dude was/is an elite receiver in the NFL.

Ingram can stand in the hole in perfect position to make a tackle on Etienne for a 2 yard gain and never touches him on the way to a 35 yard TD tho and that's cool right?  Don't bother to attempt a tackle and it's fine...as long as you don't try and then miss.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

We regularly do not get enough out of our young players on rookie contracts until the contract year. I am not saying Elam is a world beater, but stuff like this is bonkers. Elam has had some good games last year and I thought he was hung out to dry with no safety help, covering Ridley.

Norman sucked last time he was here and he won't be any better after getting off the couch. 

I would rather get Elam more snaps/experience than suffer through Norman who will stink too...but also not get any better and provide no upside. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What an embarrassment for beane and McD if Isabella and Norman active, w elam not dressing. Utter trash. Beanes draft record is abysmal outside of Allen.

43 players. 2 pro bowls. Edmunds (sucks and not on team). And knox (injured) 

0 all pro

That’s why this window is SLAMMing SHUT

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Keep Elam.

Normans going to pull a hammy after a game or two.

Put Elam back in.

He might not make it through the first half, honestly. 

And knowing McD we'll probably have at most 4 active corners... Should go over well, lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Elam is this FO's worst pick to date because Elam excelled at man coverage in college.  

The risk that he would not develop into a zone corner was high from the moment he was selected.    I always felt the mistake was on the Bills for having the hubris that their coaching could transform him.  

But yet in the Ravens game he was so good in zone that someone who breaks down game film for a living asked if Elam was a natural zone corner because the technique he was playing with was so good and so fluid...he also baited Jackson into an INT in that game by reading his eyes when he was in Cover 2 and sinking back to the deep receiver to pick him off. 

Two weeks later he picked off Mahomes in the end zone when he was inside the 10 yard line about to score...it hasn't been all bad.

Where did it all go wrong?  We can't say he sucked at zone because a guy who breaks down film for a living showed multiple examples of him playing it perfectly.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, boyst said:

beane is so damn good at so much but his downfall is going to be the scouting department and valuation of players. there is just a disconnect here  with the FO and coaching that is reaching terminal velocity

What's he so damn good at?

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We just sat in the stands and followed where Elam lined up, because THAT is where the ball was going. It must be a lousy feeling being picked on and letting your team down play after play. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

beane is so damn good at so much but his downfall is going to be the scouting department and valuation of players. there is just a disconnect here  with the FO and coaching that is reaching terminal velocity

It’s odd, because he’s found some gems (Bernard looks good, Benford is promising, Torrence seems like a plug and play starter) but there’s some kind of communication breakdown between how we actually use them.

Elam is a man corner, not a zone one like our scheme dictates.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.