Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

21 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

What would we even expect to get for a 1st rounder in his 2nd season that has barely played?  4th or 5th if lucky?

That's not the type of trade that Beane would normally make unless they truly think there is no hope for him.

Trade for a conditional pick based on playing time with his new team. At most think we could get a 4th. 

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

He might not make it through the first half, honestly. 

And knowing McD we'll probably have at most 4 active corners... Should go over well, lol. 

We're gonna make Borker Mayfield look like Aaron ROgers, arent we?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

beane is so damn good at so much but his downfall is going to be the scouting department and valuation of players. there is just a disconnect here  with the FO and coaching that is reaching terminal velocity

McD and Beane were a package deal from the get go. They're like peas in a pod. 

The number of scheme incompatible players we've brought in during their tenure truly baffles the mind. Few GM/HC combos should be as aligned as these two. 

You could almost make the argument Whaley brought in better fits for McD before he was given the boot. Including: two all-pro safeties, an all pro CB, an all pro LB and a pro bowl LT. Yeesh. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't like it...the dude has shown the ability to play well at times. If anything the way they have handled him has destroyed his confidence more than anything.  What a waste. Guarantee if he goes somewhere else and gets a chance within a year we will regret that in a Wyatt Teller sort of way, although I wouldn't go as far as saying he will become an all-pro.

This is the limitation of McD on D.  He would rather play low end players who are safer with limited upside than potential high end players that may require some time to get there.  No other team in the NFL would be having Benford, Jackson and Ingram play in place of Elam.

I agree w/ this.  I feel like there are certain guys who have the talent to play here, but because of some special "quality" they need to have or something, they just can't gain enough favor w/ the coaches to get playing time.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Elam go somewhere else and have a great career. We've had a few of those over the past few years.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

The number of scheme incompatible players we've brought in during their tenure truly baffles the mind. Few GM/HC combos should be as aligned as these two. 

You could almost make the argument Whaley brought in better fits for McD before he was given the boot. Including: two all-pro safeties, an all pro CB, an all pro LB and a pro bowl LT. Yeesh. 

But yet they lead the NFL in net point differential by a wide margin over a 3 year span.  Let that sink in for a minute.  All of these terrible picks and players and yet they have been the best team in the NFL by a wide margin over a 3 year period.  

• Like (+1) 1

Take it one step further. Dorsey a panther. 

they’re panicking 

what a clown show

Just now, Success said:

I agree w/ this.  I feel like there are certain guys who have the talent to play here, but because of some special "quality" they need to have or something, they just can't gain enough favor w/ the coaches to get playing time.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Elam go somewhere else and have a great career. We've had a few of those over the past few years.

McCloud seems like the latest example...first in Pittsburgh and now in SF.  They seem to have no issues with him returning punts and being their 3rd/4th WR with as much talent as they have.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, balln said:

If Kincaid doesn’t look close to elite by the end of this year. I want a new GM. 

thsi franchise demise - too loyal to process guys . Bad contracts to aging vets, mediocre players. And really bad restructuring 

Kincaid already looks good. Move on from Knox he's a bum Kincaid the real deal.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But yet they lead the NFL in net point differential by a wide margin over a 3 year span.  Let that sink in for a minute.  All of these terrible picks and players and yet they have been the best team in the NFL by a wide margin over a 3 year period.  

All because of the monster they have playing at QB. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yes we've become very adept at dismantling bad teams and kicking them while they're down. 

But our record in close games (7 pts or less) during that span is not so much fun to talk about. I'm not saying they've built a bad team by any means. But I also think having Josh Allen means you have to grade them on something of a curve. 

Look at Belichick without Brady. Look at the start Payton's gotten off to without Drew Brees. 

It's more than fair to wonder if coaching and/or front office is holding this team back. Maybe it isn't. But it certainly isn't ludicrous to be suggesting it at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But yet in the Ravens game he was so good in zone that someone who breaks down game film for a living asked if Elam was a natural zone corner because the technique he was playing with was so good and so fluid...he also baited Jackson into an INT in that game by reading his eyes when he was in Cover 2 and sinking back to the deep receiver to pick him off. 

Two weeks later he picked off Mahomes in the end zone when he was inside the 10 yard line about to score...it hasn't been all bad.

Where did it all go wrong?  We can't say he sucked at zone because a guy who breaks down film for a living showed multiple examples of him playing it perfectly.

These are the things I have never understood from McBeane. We never get value on our rookie contracts. 

Moss (3rd), injured then trade. 

Basham (2nd), traded no production

AJE (2nd), barely anything of value until his contract year. 

Oliver (1st), minimal snap count until he was extended. Great value on his new contract, bad value on his rookie deal. 

Kincaid (1st), one game with reasonable targets/involvement

Cook (2nd), is averaging like 13 touches per game

Shakir (4th), plays barely any snaps and sees barely any targets

Hell, here is something crazy, Zay Jones has turned himself into a reasonable NFL WR and drafted the same year as Tre White. 

Let these guys play, learn, and grow. They all might not work, but Jesus. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes we've become very adept at dismantling bad teams and kicking them while they're down. 

But our record in close games (7 pts or less) during that span is not so much fun to talk about. I'm not saying they've built a bad team by any means. But I also think having Josh Allen means you have to grade them on something of a curve. 

Look at Belichick without Brady. Look at the start Payton's gotten off to without Drew Brees. 

It's more than fair to wonder if coaching and/or front office is holding this team back. Maybe it isn't. But it certainly isn't ludicrous to be suggesting it at this point. 

I mean it definitely is plain for everyone to see at this point.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Diggs only good move. And they’re filling w expensive free agents

Or maybe McDermott was the one controlling that draft himself, let's not forget Sean started working with scouts when with the Eagles. 

10 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

if whaley wasn't swinging his dick everywhere he may have got a pass to stick around a little bit longer

i'd love to have had him stay in a fitting role for talent and have beane do the rest of the gm dealio

What's their record against good teams?  It's above .500 FYI.  Your fake narrative is garbage. And the close game thing is another nonsense thing.  They only way to beat them is via a close game. They haven't lost by more than 5 points in almost 2 years.  Do you know how crazy that is? 

8 minutes ago, Billznut said:

All because of the monster they have playing at QB. 

Would you not say the same about Mahomes in KC?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But yet in the Ravens game he was so good in zone that someone who breaks down game film for a living asked if Elam was a natural zone corner because the technique he was playing with was so good and so fluid...he also baited Jackson into an INT in that game by reading his eyes when he was in Cover 2 and sinking back to the deep receiver to pick him off. 

Two weeks later he picked off Mahomes in the end zone when he was inside the 10 yard line about to score...it hasn't been all bad.

Where did it all go wrong?  We can't say he sucked at zone because a guy who breaks down film for a living showed multiple examples of him playing it perfectly.

Agreed, he hasn't been terrible and I would have preferred the Bills play him to see what he can do.  They asked for the impossible from him in London, off the shelf into starting reps.  Set up to fail IMO. 

I'm not a big fan of the McDermott "process" because rookies have such short leashes with this coaching staff that they play not to make mistakes, and that's a thinking, hesitant, slow player.

I think overall though, Elam will excel consistently for a team that plays man.  Less thinking, less hesitancy.  He reminds me of Ronald Darby, another man corner that moved from McDermott's zone to Philly in 2017 to play in Schwartz's man-heavy defense, and excelled.

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I don't think it will happen after this season but if Terry decides to clean house, I would hope he would have someone who knows the league to help him on who to hire. Maybe even sit with him and help him thru the interviewing process. Terry is obviously a sports fan with the Bills and Sabres but I don't trust him to make the right decision when hiring the next GM/HC. When the time comes, and it will he is going to need help with these hirings.

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

We are about to be in cap hell with nothing to show for it

Yup. Get ready ladies and gentleman. 4-4 is coming. Window is slamming shut. The jax game then the giants first half - has had me so soured. And then the mac jones- tom Brady drive for td to win. It’s OvER folks

Edited by balln
  • Dislike 1

Just now, balln said:

Diggs / relative to using draft capital.

my second part indicates- he’s having to fill up his poor poor drafting w free agents and aging vets

Hmm...Rousseau is good...Oliver is good...AJE is far better than most want to admit...Bernard is a revelation...Benford has been good...Jackson has been good...Knox has been good...Davis has been good outside of people with unrealistic expectations...Torrance is going to be very good...Cook is good...

I mean we have already gone thru the draft charts showing Career AV for players drafted and the Bills are top 3 in the NFL. Not sure exactly how good you think other teams are at drafting but you are giving them far more credit than they should be getting, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah...seems about right...trot a dude out for real game action for the first time in 9 months and then when he surprise, surprise sucks never play him again. It's not like Ridley is some bum, the dude was/is an elite receiver in the NFL.

Ingram can stand in the hole in perfect position to make a tackle on Etienne for a 2 yard gain and never touches him on the way to a 35 yard TD tho and that's cool right?  Don't bother to attempt a tackle and it's fine...as long as you don't try and then miss.

I’d rather elam out there than Norman tooâ€Ĥ.

but we have no clue what’s going on in practice every day/week/month. 

but to say that every team in the league would be playing elam over Benford and Dane is just ridiculous 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don't think it will happen after this season but if Terry decides to clean house, I would hope he would have someone who knows the league to help him on who to hire. Maybe even sit with him and help him thru the interviewing process. Terry is obviously a sports fan with the Bills and Sabres but I don't trust him to make the right decision when hiring the next GM/HC. When the time comes, and it will he is going to need help with these hirings.

I wouldn't expect a house cleaning either, not unless this team completely implodes down the stretch... then maybe. 

Even still, its tough to judge Terry for McD/Beane. Love em or hate em they're the best tandem Buffalo sports has had in 20+ years, and it's not even particularly close. I don't know that Terry needs an advisor, but the Bills as an org needs someone who can maximize the offense with Josh Allen as QB. That, more than anything, is what we need right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Doubt he clears house unless we totally bottom out and finish like 7-10.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.