Wk 1 - Bills -1.5 vs Jets - who you picking - how much can we over analyze this over the next 3 wks?

Chaos

Buffalo will jackhammer them. 
The Jets should get better and be a real threat after Halloween as for Aaron Rogers sake there is some oline cohesion by then.

The Bills have had to stew on the Bengals game…now the Steelers game…and every negative comment the national media has made about them.

The only cure for this is a 34-17 win in New Jersey. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills forfeit after firing the HC and OC, trade Josh, cut 3/4 of the rest of the team because they all suck. We tank the season so we can draft another WR.  Only bright side is half the posters on TBD get to say, I was right all along.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Dislike 1

I don't know, but I am scared. I feel like their defense is going to be like The Steelers were in the 2021 season opener, maybe even worse. Sauce Gardner will probably get away with a ton of pass interference.

I hate how dejected I feel about a season that hasn't even started yet. I guess because my worst fears of an old and slow defense, bad OL and uneventful pre-season felt justified in that 1st quarter of The Steelers game. I don't want my intuition to be right about this kind of stuff. I say all this as I just wait to hear about how The Dolphins signed JTT, and again be reminded of how awful this offseason was(minus getting Kincaid!).

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

I don't know, but I am scared. I feel like their defense is going to be like The Steelers were in the 2021 season opener, maybe even worse. Sauce Gardner will probably get away with a ton of pass interference.

I hate how dejected I feel about a season that hasn't even started yet. I guess because my worst fears of an old and slow defense, bad OL and uneventful pre-season felt justified in that 1st quarter of The Steelers game. I don't want my intuition to be right about this kind of stuff. I say all this as I just wait to hear about how The Dolphins signed JTT, and again be reminded of how awful this offseason was(minus getting Kincaid!).

Jets defense is better than the Steelers.

They gave our offense fits last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein said:

That is what terrifies me. Their defense gave us fits in both games, and they will have a better QB and set of receivers, oh, and not a shabby RB as well(don't remember who their RB was last year, but it wasn't Breece) and meanwhile, our defense is looking old and slow as ever. Can't ever sniff the QB of the opposing team. It's going to rely on Josh being able to make some magic happen. I think about some ugly games in the past where we came out flat and he sort of rallied the team back(Tampa Bay game in 2021. Ravens game last year). I would feel a lot better about this game if it was a home game.

• Like (+1) 1

A couple weeks ago i expected Buffalo to roll the Jets in this one.  But my expectations have been lowered. The Oline is weak. I’m not as in love with James Cook as many people are. I wish Damien Harris was healthy for this one. I’d like to see JA get rid of the ball quicker.  Not every pass has to be a 20-25 yard rope. Take what they give you, and quickly, like Mahomes and Burrow do.

The D plays read and react too much. They allow guys to catch the ball too easily, not aggressive. and Poyer is slow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Jets OL deficiencies keep their offense from getting rolling week 1 but good D play keeps Jets in it until a late Bills score to go ahead  27-17 and put the game away.  

It's hard not to think the Jets O isn't going to be better with Rodgers and Cook. 

I couldn't help but get flashbacks to the Cincinnati game when you mentioned the weak OL of the Jets. 

Truthfully, I don't have confidence in the Bills pass rush. Without a healthy Von they just don't look that good. 

Also, the Jets pounded the ball vs the Bills. They are not bad in run blocking. This seems to get overlooked here. 

It's too early for a game prediction. However, that crowd in 9/11 will be crazy and frenzied. Big advantage to the Jets. The bias in me thinks the refs will favor the Jets big time. 

This sure seems like a statement game for the Jets to their fans. 

This game has uphill battle written all over it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

It is going to be so so so interesting.

The emotion in that stadium for their home opener on 9/11, Monday Night Football, most highly anticipated opening game for them in decades or maybe ever, Super Bowl aspirations... It's going to be crazy. Almost an impossible-to-even-imagine level of crazy. Sometimes, environment and emotion are overrated when it comes to football games, but I'm not so sure that's true in this one.

I think it's a tossup on the football field regardless of the other factors. I'm surprised the Bills are favored. No result would surprise me.

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Jets OL deficiencies keep their offense from getting rolling week 1 but good D play keeps Jets in it until a late Bills score to go ahead  27-17 and put the game away.  

Yeah it's going to be a close, low scoring game. I see something like 16-13 Bills. Just don't let Josh take a hit to that elbow like last year. Hear that Quessenberry.....

• Like (+1) 1

Things going for the Bills:

• Better QB
  • More cohesion/continuity
  • Rodgers has started slowly 3 seasons in a row
  • Rodgers is 39 and did not look good last year, and the Jets' offensive line is worse than the Packers'
  • It is hard to maintain elite defenses across seasons
  • Nate Hackett is not very good
  • McDermott has owned this coaching tree, and the Bills have embarrassed Saleh before

Things going for the Jets:

• Home primetime game
  • Hype for the new-look offense/Rodgers
  • Defense that Allen has only dominated once in 6 tries since 2020

I don't think we sweep the Jets and Dolphins, we will drop 1 or 2 games between them. But the Bills are perfectly capable of winning week 1, even in dominating fashion. They have won tougher games

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

QB - Bills

OL - Bills

RB - Tie

WR - Bills

TE - Bills

DL - Jets

LB - Jets

CB - Jets

S - Bills

Both OL’s have question marks, but ours is better on paper, with more potential. 

If our OL can keep the Jets DL from taking over the game, Bills cover.  

• Agree 1

I think week 1 is the best possible timing for this matchup. People point to Brady and Stafford as examples of top QBs that went to new teams and immediately found success, but it took both of them at least half a season to fully find their footing. I expect Rodgers to have a similarly rocky start. Cook is coming off shoulder surgery, Hall is coming off an ACL tear. The OL is a giant question mark, as far as I know they still aren't 100% sure who their five starters will be. There's a lot the Jets still have to figure out and I don't expect all those questions to be answered in three weeks.

Say what you want about the Bills, at least all of our core starters are the same players they were last year. Obviously the glaring exception is MLB which is a legitimate concern right now. Other than that I think our team's continuity compared to the Jets gives us a strong advantage in week 1.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like the Jets in this one… suspect the refs help em out bit time and our line struggles to block the Jets upfront. 

I mean, it’s the NY Jets at home for their opening game on Monday night on 9/11. The fans will be into it and I dare say, the refs might be slightly biased.

That all notwithstanding, I would look hard at the under as both teams have a much better DL than OL. And what’s the over/under on broken QBs? I might want some of that action too. 

• Agree 1

This 100% ^^^^^^

Ask yourself this. Which team would make more of a statement opening game on national TV with a victory?

This years Media Darling under the bright lights, home Monday night on 9-11 with their shiny new QB.

Man! That is one tall order for any visiting team ladies and gentlemen. Will the Bills be able to handle the very aggressive and physical Jets D in front of a raucous home crowd? 

The Bills need to remind their rivals and the rest of the AFC that they are still a major contender for a championship. 

Will they dominate like last year? Probably not, but I got my fingers crossed on a close victory. 

Also, I will be far from surprised if a healthy Jets team comes out super amped and takes the W. Its always been my opinion that they, not the Fins are our biggest divisional threat.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It's hard not to think the Jets O isn't going to be better with Rodgers and Cook. 

I couldn't help but get flashbacks to the Cincinnati game when you mentioned the weak OL of the Jets. 

Truthfully, I don't have confidence in the Bills pass rush. Without a healthy Von they just don't look that good. 

Also, the Jets pounded the ball vs the Bills. They are not bad in run blocking. This seems to get overlooked here. 

It's too early for a game prediction. However, that crowd in 9/11 will be crazy and frenzied. Big advantage to the Jets. The bias in me thinks the refs will favor the Jets big time. 

This sure seems like a statement game for the Jets to their fans. 

This game has uphill battle written all over it. 

New QB and new OL take time to find rhythm usually.  Granted this QB is an all time great, but signs of OL issues have already been surfacing in practice and scrimmages with Rodgers already showing some reserved frustration.

There is no denying their offense is better with Rodgers, I just think it’s possible it could take a few games before they start clicking more.  

But yeah, there are certainly obstacles for the Bills too.  The game could go either way, they are both talented teams.  But this is also a statement game for the Bills too.  They need to show they are still a force in the AFC after the let down vs the Bengals and show the division still goes through Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea.. I suspect they get away with a lot that night… hopefully it won’t matter. 

I'm sure we also suspect this and, as always, should be coached up on this ahead of time. Sure certain players get away more than others, but the refs have to worry about their jobs and league perception too.

The easiest way to lose is to come out and play like choir boys, while they stretch out our WRs jerseys. Come out aggressive too, and be ready to switch up if whistles come out heavy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Our two worst Total Yards games and worst and third worst games for Passing and 1st-Downs.  

We averaged 18.5 points, 16.5 1st-Downs, 275 Total Yards, and 156 Passing Yards. 

They averaged 16 points, 20 1st-Downs, 310 Total Yards, and 185 Passing Yards. 

That sounds like a coaching issue to me.  Now they have Rodgers and Cook.  We haven't changed significantly and are likely worse on D.  I like Torrence, but that's probably not an encouraging first game for him to play in.  

I'm concerned.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I'm sure we also suspect this and, as always, should be coached up on this ahead of time. Sure certain players get away more than others, but the refs have to worry about their jobs and league perception too.

The easiest way to lose is to come out and play like choir boys, while they stretch out our WRs jerseys. Come out aggressive too, and be ready to switch up if whistles come out heavy

Agree. They need to match their intensity as to remind the refs if you're gonna call it, call it on both sides.

I have a very ominous feeling about this game. It’s the Jets SuperBowl. It feels like Bills Patriots week 1 with Bills blowin out Pats 31-0. I don’t think McD can get the Bills to match their emotion on the road. If Bills get down a couple scores early this could be a blood bath.

All that said, I also am skeptical Rodgers has anything left. Trust in Allen to play a clean game with Cook rushing for 130.

Bills 27- Jets 17

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.