TSW offseason awards?

BADOLBILZ

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Are there not rules in place saying "leave all personal electronic devices in a backpack, and if it turns on during the class, you leave the classroom?"

I can't imagine even trying to teach in 2023 without having such a rule in place first.

There are... and we try to find ways to stop them, but parents and certain groups try to make it so you really can't enforce them, and then it becomes a 'do you really want to fight this battle if all parties involved would rather see the child not learn, but express themselves... and they will take legal action?' Fun day and age!

I was trying to playfully add on the Volume talk... I don't wanna derail this thread. I always like Teefs posts... they seem like initial thoughts with creativity. Great for a non-serious short attention span as myself. He's always a break from the ultra tense. And he likes to make good jabs at trolls, maybe he could win an award for best Troll 'One Shotter'

Edited by Prospector

So many possible categories left out.  

I nominate myself for Most Colorful Avatar. Red lips sink ships. WINNER

otherwise all you uber smart heavyweights can slug it out the football categories 

GO BILLS

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

So many possible categories left out.  

I nominate myself for Most Colorful Avatar. Red lips sink ships. WINNER

otherwise all you uber smart heavyweights can slug it out the football categories 

GO BILLS

I will concede that you win the award for 'Most Often Changed Avatar'.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

I gotta be honest, I was really nervous about the future of the TBD franchise. Just when the Bills finally became good again, we lost @thebandit27 to early retirement and @Kirby Jacksonwho had a big retire unretire Floyd Mayweather saga.

@NoSaint started posting less. Turbo and Greg got tossed

Even @Doc and @Mr. WEO were only arguing across 3-4 threads instead of their usual 10.

It was a dark time in TBD history. But we have seemed to have come through to the other side. 

Newbies, the lot of them, with the exceptions of Doc and Kirby.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

more like 85%…

Ok, now I need to get my protractor and get real measurements. They will be metric, so be prepared 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

What the heck are you and @Prospector babbling about?

The volume of a babies arm holding a part of an apple

Edited by Prospector
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

You and @eball were “leading the charge” of attacking my the “Bills WRs ain’t that good” posts…. Glad you finally came around and agreed. Maybe stick to the comedy routine?… even though you are still runner up to your butt buddy @teef😘

You’ve got a crappy memory, my boy.  Not only did I not say the Bills’ WR corps was beyond reproach, I specifically advocated drafting one early and was on record as being supportive if they chose to go after OBJ.

I just wouldn’t agree with your hot take that they were a steaming pile of trash after Diggs.  As it turned out, Davis never really got it going (and was dinged), Crowder got hurt, and McKenzie did not live up to expectations.  They still won 14 games.

And…”butt buddy?”  Really?  Grow up.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You and @eball were “leading the charge” of attacking my the “Bills WRs ain’t that good” posts…. Glad you finally came around and agreed. Maybe stick to the comedy routine?… even though you are still runner up to your butt buddy @teef😘

Are you still campaigning for troll of the year? I thought you were the dark-horse... but judges may be swayed by last minute exceptionalism!  

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes, that's because if that prove something to me differently, then I will change my mind.  

I will stick to comedy, you can stick to race baiting.  

I was actually hoping to get "the most suspended account by trying to skate around the suspending guidelines and throwing a fit for it". I can't find the data, but I am pretty sure I made a finalist list. If you don't recognize my name, it's probably because I was... away from my keyboard for long periods of time

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

hey!   Why is it open season on me?!   I’m adorable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Prospector said:

I was actually hoping to get "the most suspended account by trying to skate around the suspending guidelines and throwing a fit for it". I can't find the data, but I am pretty sure I made a finalist list. If you don't recognize my name, it's probably because I was... away from my keyboard for long periods of time

You got my vote for trying too hard👍

• Like (+1) 1

I nominate plezmed 

I don’t run the TBD tailgate threads any more. He is now in charge.

Did it for 10 years. So TBD people from around the world could come tailgate with other TBD people. 
was great to meet so many people. 

so could we nominate people for bad behavior? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Gunner was legit this year.

I am disappointed I did not win schedule and logistics guru of the year award :)

Newark Museum of Science and Trucking "Schedule and Logistics" award.......... @corta765

Now if the self proclaimed optimists would stay on topic instead of trying to denigrate the more correct people then maybe we could get some more nominations for awards like that.

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I nominate plezmed 

I don’t run the TBD tailgate threads any more. He is now in charge.

Did it for 10 years. So TBD people from around the world could come tailgate with other TBD people. 
was great to meet so many people. 

so could we nominate people for bad behavior? 

I think if you have a good one.........you can have a bad behavior one, right?

Just gotta' keep it in this offseason so late January til now.   

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Newark Museum of Science and Trucking "Schedule and Logistics" award.......... @corta765

Now if the self proclaimed optimists would stay on topic instead of trying to denigrate the more correct people then maybe we could get some more nominations for awards like that.

This is so going on my fridge at home so my wife can see my hard work. Might even laminate it!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

This is so going on my fridge at home so my wife can see my hard work. Might even laminate it!

I told my wife that I made honorable mention for my contributions to the board.  Pretty sure she is meeting with divorce attorneys right now.  YMMV

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, eball said:

I see I’m living rent-free in @ScottLaw’s head as well.  Too funny.

The bottom line here at TSW is that any reasonable optimism is often met with disdain by “those who know better.”

Some folks know how to debate and disagree without being a-holes.  Unfortunately, some also do not.

I’ll continue to be the voice of reasonable optimism around here, for better or for worse.

Thought you'd appreciate this quote from David Ignatius in a Washington Post column from the other day:

"An Israeli friend remarked the other day that optimists and pessimists die the same way, but optimists live better."

Embrace that line!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/18/ukraine-war-west-gloom/

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

On TSW........the offseason IS the season.    I can't believe it's almost over........it went by so fast.    Here are some of my opinions about the best of the offseason TSW 2023  

MVP...... @GunnerBill   

Gunner has had another tremendous offseason.   His hard work and attention to detail leads to some of the most informed takes on TSW.   And without a high volume linkster to steal votes I think it would have been something of a landslide.

Most Improved......... @Logic

I gotta' say his posting has improved immensely, IMO.   I used to say his posting was ironic.........because there was a lot of illogic.........but much improved.

Most interesting offseason turn of events.......Heel turns from @Einstein and @Nextmanup.  

Love it.   Heels are the best written characters.   Even though I take great pride in being universally loved here on TSW......I will admit that I have a soft spot for those who can work a crowd.

Most ridiculous idea that is currently or becoming accepted........that drafting a RB in the 1st or 2nd round every 4-5 years is smart because you avoid paying a veteran. :doh:

Talk about making no sense.........and yet there are some GM's who actually appear to subscribe to this.   Maybe even our own.  It took far too long for most teams to realize that having high quality individual RB's doesn't correlate at all to winning championships..........and despite the fact that the leading rusher on SB winning teams every year is usually a guy with a paltry amount there are still people who think you want to get a stud RB early in the draft at the expense of all of the harder to fill positions.   It's nuts.   It's like the people who are the last to admit that stud RB's don't make much difference gotta' find some way to still justify the need for quality.  On TSW we still have our irrational 1st round RB fans and nonsense like this being kicked around by people within the league doesn't help bring fans to their senses.

These are just my opinions of course but feel free to share your takes on the offseason.    And remember....... @YoloinOhio departed in-season so in itself that wasn't really an offseason move.   Personally,  I think bellcow linksters are a thing of the past and I support a move to linkster by committee......but I digress......I think we should have these kind of acknowledgements and aspects that tell the story of a TSW offseason.

This is an awesome thread idea. I think that you should do this every year going forward, and you have to do it right on the cusp of training camp. That's because you really only get a true picture of someone over the course of an offseason. 

Other award ideas: angriest and most reactive poster during gameday threads. Requirement: at least five blow-ups over bad plays (fire whoever, cut his ass, so-and-so sucks, this effing team is on course for 8-9, etc. etc.) *on average* during the gameday threads in which said poster participates. There are a LOT of competitive candidates for this one!

Also: poster who is most gullible about click-bait news stories that put forth trade/internal team controversy etc. rumors  based on virtually nothing and who compulsively starts threads about them.    

Anyway, if you do this long enough, we could even have a preseason fantasy league draft of posters based on the awards scheme that gets handed down in late July. The points are then calculated a year later, bearing in mind that the stretch run performance (i.e., the offseason) matters a lot in the ultimate evaluation. I also think it only works if you get to be the sole judge (which means you can't get awards yourself, but you make up for that fact by getting to play god). 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm afraid I'm not prepared to live in a world where you say anything nice to me, @BADOLBILZ, even if it IS a backhanded compliment possibly aimed at baiting me into fisticuffs.

If you must interact with me at all, please go back to being rude and condescending exclusively. Let's not mess with a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm afraid I'm not prepared to live in a world where you say anything nice to me, @BADOLBILZ, even if it IS a backhanded compliment possibly aimed at baiting me into fisticuffs.

If you must interact with me at all, please go back to being rude and condescending exclusively. Let's not mess with a good thing. 

I will agree your post have been adequate of late  😁

On 7/20/2023 at 9:18 AM, teef said:

i just appreciate being part of the conversation.

You may not have won the offseason, but you 100% have a franchise QB in the making

6 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I will agree your post have been adequate of late  😁

Funny you should mention that. My wife has been describing my performance as "adequate" lately, too.

Reach for the stars, kids.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/20/2023 at 12:58 PM, GoBills808 said:

You got my vote for trying too hard👍

I know it is valid when Jauranimo liked your post... I really am making a difference. You should see him get riled up in the NHL talks...

and isn't posting in this thread literally the epitome of trying too hard, like for fake awards that are just jokes? and you making it seem like they should be serious kinda back fires... Go Jauranimo! Go VGK!

Edited by Prospector

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.