TSW offseason awards?

BADOLBILZ

On TSW........the offseason IS the season.    I can't believe it's almost over........it went by so fast.    Here are some of my opinions about the best of the offseason TSW 2023  

MVP...... @GunnerBill   

Gunner has had another tremendous offseason.   His hard work and attention to detail leads to some of the most informed takes on TSW.   And without a high volume linkster to steal votes I think it would have been something of a landslide.

Most Improved......... @Logic

I gotta' say his posting has improved immensely, IMO.   I used to say his posting was ironic.........because there was a lot of illogic.........but much improved.

Most interesting offseason turn of events.......Heel turns from @Einstein and @Nextmanup.  

Love it.   Heels are the best written characters.   Even though I take great pride in being universally loved here on TSW......I will admit that I have a soft spot for those who can work a crowd.

Most ridiculous idea that is currently or becoming accepted........that drafting a RB in the 1st or 2nd round every 4-5 years is smart because you avoid paying a veteran. :doh:

Talk about making no sense.........and yet there are some GM's who actually appear to subscribe to this.   Maybe even our own.  It took far too long for most teams to realize that having high quality individual RB's doesn't correlate at all to winning championships..........and despite the fact that the leading rusher on SB winning teams every year is usually a guy with a paltry amount there are still people who think you want to get a stud RB early in the draft at the expense of all of the harder to fill positions.   It's nuts.   It's like the people who are the last to admit that stud RB's don't make much difference gotta' find some way to still justify the need for quality.  On TSW we still have our irrational 1st round RB fans and nonsense like this being kicked around by people within the league doesn't help bring fans to their senses.

These are just my opinions of course but feel free to share your takes on the offseason.    And remember....... @YoloinOhio departed in-season so in itself that wasn't really an offseason move.   Personally,  I think bellcow linksters are a thing of the past and I support a move to linkster by committee......but I digress......I think we should have these kind of acknowledgements and aspects that tell the story of a TSW offseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Can I nominate myself? 😃

I’ll tell you what, if you nominate me as the most improved, I’ll nominate you as GunnerBill’s main source of information, what say? 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Love it.   Heels are the best written characters.   Even though I take great pride in being universally loved here on TSW......I will admit that I have a soft spot for those who can work a crowd.

Agree on @GunnerBill There is no debate and no need to add more words

Additional shoutouts

@HoofHearted and @Buffalo716 For informed analysis

@Kirby Jackson For returning to post at least occasionally

@Beck Water (I know it is your thread BADOL but still) For research

@BADOLBILZ For player analysis and lot of data (except when you get snarky but the above self-sarcasm was good)

@Simon To always have the whip handy

@SDS Just because we all exist

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

On TSW........the offseason IS the season.    I can't believe it's almost over........it went by so fast.    Here are some of my opinions about the best of the offseason TSW 2023  

MVP...... @GunnerBill   

Gunner has had another tremendous offseason.   His hard work and attention to detail leads to some of the most informed takes on TSW.   And without a high volume linkster to steal votes I think it would have been something of a landslide.

I gotta' say his posting has improved immensely, IMO.   I used to say his posting was ironic.........because there was a lot of illogic.........but much improved.

Most interesting offseason turn of events.......Heel turns from @Einstein and @Nextmanup.  

Most ridiculous idea that is currently or becoming accepted........that drafting a RB in the 1st or 2nd round every 4-5 years is smart because you avoid paying a veteran. :doh:

Talk about making no sense.........and yet there are some GM's who actually appear to subscribe to this.   Maybe even our own.  It took far too long for most teams to realize that having high quality individual RB's doesn't correlate at all to winning championships..........and despite the fact that the leading rusher on SB winning teams every year is usually a guy with a paltry amount there are still people who think you want to get a stud RB early in the draft at the expense of all of the harder to fill positions.   It's nuts.   It's like the people who are the last to admit that stud RB's don't make much difference gotta' find some way to still justify the need for quality.  On TSW we still have our irrational 1st round RB fans and nonsense like this being kicked around by people within the league doesn't help bring fans to their senses.

These are just my opinions of course but feel free to share your takes on the offseason.    And remember....... @YoloinOhio departed in-season so in itself that wasn't really an offseason move.   Personally,  I think bellcow linksters are a thing of the past and I support a move to linkster by committee......but I digress......I think we should have these kind of acknowledgements and aspects that tell the story of a TSW offseason.

Wow, You have a lot of time on your hands

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Can I nominate myself? 😃

I mean,  sure but you probably aren't getting many other MVP or Comeback Poster or Lady Bing votes with just 1200 career posts.   Gotta' up those numbers for the big shiny one's.   The plaque's and certificates are largely up for grabs though.   

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Don’t sell yourself short.

No- Scott only poasts like two things all year. Problem is, he makes hundreds of poasts a year.  

He’ had won an unprecedented 7 consecutive beating a dead horse awards until he was dethroned this year by 2 posters, whose names won’t be spoken.  

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I gotta be honest, I was really nervous about the future of the TBD franchise. Just when the Bills finally became good again, we lost @thebandit27 to early retirement and @Kirby Jacksonwho had a big retire unretire Floyd Mayweather saga.

@NoSaint started posting less. Turbo and Greg got tossed

Even @Doc and @Mr. WEO were only arguing across 3-4 threads instead of their usual 10.

It was a dark time in TBD history. But we have seemed to have come through to the other side. 

• Haha (+1) 3

There should be a category for "Best Feuds," to include ongoing arguments and even stalking (which is sanctioned in some instances). 

@BADOLBILZ and @Alphadawg7 should get consideration, but they seem a bit too polite and subdued to win the award.

Perhaps trophies or other small prizes should be handed out at a tailgate. I am thinking one for each category (perhaps cans or bottles of beer), and the winners could say a few words.  If winners cannot attend, the awards could be accepted by proxy.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You saw my guy Matt Miller's posts I take it.... draft one, run them hard through their rookie deal (5 years if you drafted them round 1), franchise them once (year 6) let them walk, rinse and repeat? 

I have discussed this with him before, because he does profess to understand that running back is not a premium position but then he will fall in love with a guy and justify selecting them in round 1 almost every single year - which is his error. I think it is because as well a being a draft guy he is a big college football guy and running backs still matter a lot more in college football. He just can't shake that I fear. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I may have beaten the dead horse, but I was proven 100% correct.😉

You speak as if there are no other variables that affected the seasonal outcomes.  Winning or not winning a Super Bowl isn’t based on one or two things. 

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

MVP...... @GunnerBill   

You obviously have overlooked the benchmark Moderator work I have done on PPP.  I finally have the misinformed animals in that zoo under control.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

I gotta be honest, I was really nervous about the future of the TBD franchise. Just when the Bills finally became good again, we lost @thebandit27 to early retirement and @Kirby Jacksonwho had a big retire unretire Floyd Mayweather saga.

@NoSaint started posting less. Turbo and Greg got tossed

Even @Doc and @Mr. WEO were only arguing across 3-4 threads instead of their usual 10.

It was a dark time in TBD history. But we have seemed to have come through to the other side. 

Greg who?

there was a greg turned into deranged rhino that I’ve been trying to track down to make sure that he’s OK during this writers strike

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

You obviously have overlooked the benchmark Moderator work I have done on PPP.  I finally have the misinformed animals in that zoo under control.  

Lol

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their WRs proved just as I thought. Below par…. Meanwhile you had fans here arguing it was a top five to ten unit last off-season as I got blasted all spring/summer for suggesting it absolutely was not…. Hell, @eball couldn’t resist to call me out after the first game of the season.😅

You said similar (but not as resounding) about the previous years team with sanders.  That offense was great and had nothing to do with not winning a Super Bowl.

maybe it was mcdermotts fault that bass didn’t know what to do on the kickoff.  Or that Levi misplayed the defensive call?  Or that Mahomes is amazing.  Or maybe it’s just one thing.  

last year was an aberration - a season unlike any team in history went through. 

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I have to think @Thurman#1has leap frogged @eball for worst takes in a stunning upset this offseason. 

giphy.gif

On 7/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, ScottLaw said:

Still find it laughable that people would take Fitz and even the downright awful Drew Bledsoe(as a Bill) over Tyrod. Honestly just reeks of racism. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I see I’m living rent-free in @ScottLaw’s head as well.  Too funny.

The bottom line here at TSW is that any reasonable optimism is often met with disdain by “those who know better.”

Some folks know how to debate and disagree without being a-holes.  Unfortunately, some also do not.

I’ll continue to be the voice of reasonable optimism around here, for better or for worse.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Their WRs proved just as I thought. Below par…. Meanwhile you had fans here arguing it was a top five to ten unit last off-season as I got blasted all spring/summer for suggesting it absolutely was not…. Hell, @eball couldn’t resist to call me out after the first game of the season.😅

Great points.   I loathe to be critical but 

Winners never quit and quitters never win award......... @eball.    He had a chance to run away with most improved this offseason after hitting rock bottom last offseason but chose to not participate on the basis of some principle that he created up for the occasion.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Eh.  @teef is a volume guy - some gems, but lots of duds.  For my money @Jauronimo is still the GOAT.

Funniest poster this offseason............ @Ridgewaycynic2013

I thought @Ridgewaycynic2013 won the offseason in this regard.   Volume and quality.   No offense to @Jauronimo who has the most sophisticated/refined sense of humor on the board and @teefwho is probably the top one-liner guy even with the duds.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Funniest poster this offseason............ @Ridgewaycynic2013

I thought @Ridgewaycynic2013 won the offseason in this regard.   Volume and quality.   No offense to @Jauronimo who has the most sophisticated/refined sense of humor on the board and @teefwho is probably the top one-liner guy even with the duds.  

@teef can hold onto the one-liner belt for only as long as @Bangarang chooses to let him.

Also, I nominate @Beck Water for BOTH the “Chat GPT Humorless Bot” award and the “Hmmm, That Sounds Vaguely Familiar” award (or maybe just, “Worst Disguise”).

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

V = πr2h

Only for cylinders. The easiest volume would be rectangular prisms... unless it was fraction and decimal units, because math text books are odd and you are required to convert before you solve. Such a pain, like what weirdo would measure dimensions on a project, some in fractions/mixed numbers, and others in decimals, am I right?! Maybe he should get the bad grade instead. Chapter 4.3 can go to heck for all I care... I am just happy half my class understood the idea of volume that isn't related to their airpod intensity as they ignore the lesson.

1 minute ago, Prospector said:

Only for cylinders. The easiest volume would be rectangular prisms... unless it was fraction and decimal units, because math text books are odd and you are required to convert before you solve. Such a pain, like what weirdo would measure dimensions on a project, some in fractions/mixed numbers, and others in decimals, am I right?! Maybe he should get the bad grade instead. Chapter 4.3 can go to heck for all I care... I am just happy half my class understood the idea of volume that isn't related to their airpod intensity as they ignore the lesson.

Holmes was known for his cylinder, not his rectangular prisms

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

@teef can hold onto the one-liner belt for only as long as @Bangarang chooses to let him.

Also, I nominate @Beck Water for BOTH the “Chat GPT Humorless Bot” award and the “Hmmm, That Sounds Vaguely Familiar” award (or maybe just, “Worst Disguise”).

are you still angry from the time i called you coach tampon?  i didn't mean it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Prospector said:

Are there not rules in place saying "leave all personal electronic devices in a backpack, and if it turns on during the class, you leave the classroom?"

I can't imagine even trying to teach in 2023 without having such a rule in place first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.