Stop whining!

Dr. K

I’m not sure what is happening, but in recent months it seems @ScottLaw has become a middle of the spectrum guy.  Go figure! Congrats to the half dozen or dozen posters who have skewed our little world. 

I admire the OP’s constraint for not mentioning names, but we all know who they are. And “realist” is not an accurate term. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

I saw a Buffalo Bills fan, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

“And because it is my heart.”

Who's pity and what happened to Pete?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

I 100% agree, it’s Twitter level toxicity around here. You’d think this team was crap. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah they are.  What's the board like after a win and after a loss?  Well after losses, I sometimes can't sign in on here because all of the traffic after a loss.

Its actually astonishing the difference.  There are a a lot of very frequent posters here in the offseason who post non-stop negativity who literally are ghosts when we win, especially in convincing fashion.  The second we lose a game they flood the board for the whole week until we win again and disappear.  

With wins, we get very few new threads...after a loss its an insane amount of new doom and gloom threads.  In the last 3 seasons, the Bills have gone 13-3 twice...yet there has been a fire everyone thread after just about every loss in both the 13-3 seasons. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, eball said:

You might be right.  I just choose to surround myself with different people in real life.  Here I have no choice.

not to quibble eball. But to the bolded I disagree. You DO have  a choice and it is called the IGNORE feature. Those who make my own Ignore list are folks wherein their posts are wasted seconds of my life. Easy decision.  You take the cursor and hover it over the users name above their avatar. Its a click and done deal. A lot of mental piffle Gone.  

I'm here for the waxing philosophical posts.  🙂 But twobillswhine yeah No.

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its actually astonishing the difference.  There are a a lot of very frequent posters here in the offseason who post non-stop negativity who literally are ghosts when we win, especially in convincing fashion.  The second we lose a game they flood the board for the whole week until we win again and disappear.  

With wins, we get very few new threads...after a loss its an insane amount of new doom and gloom threads.  In the last 3 seasons, the Bills the Bills have gone 13-3 twice...yet there has been a fire everyone thread after just about every loss in both the 13-3 seasons. 

It’s to the point where I don’t even check this MB anymore, and I doubt I’m the only one.

This is what the end of the BBMB was like. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, section122 said:

I do.  Online isn't the real world.  Twitter, facebook, even this place.  Anonymity gives people courage to be douchebags and whiners.  

When I interact with people in person, I find them to be just as pleasant.  Even if we have different political ideologies, sports rooting interests, or whatever the outrage flavor of the week is, I still enjoy being around the people I enjoy being around.

People just need to step away from the keyboard and realize that online interaction isn't as authentic as in person interactions.

I would argue that one-on-one interaction and who people choose to surround themselves with is an apples to oranges comparison of TBD, and the world at large. My main point was any open forum, regardless of platform, involving people of differing viewpoints, different demographics, and different backgrounds has a high probability of devolving into a morass of questionable utility in 2023. 

4 hours ago, Dr. K said:

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

Thanks for lodging your complaint about the others who post here...in yet another of the endless threads that complain about this.

You and others like you definitely make this place less "unreadable".

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

This place is currently populated by the type of fan who:

1) Posts on message boards: tends to skew older. The drought era left a reflexive negativity on our fandom. I mean for the better part of 20 years negative opinions were well founded. I turn 50 this year so I can understand that but for those who were adults in the 70s and 80s I would imagine that cuts even deeper. I remember the 2-14 80s, but I was a kid.  Also, the Bills subreddit is a lot less negative than this place.

2) Posts on an NFL message board in mid June: We’re obsessed. I don’t live in WNY any longer, but I would have to imagine that the general fandom is much more positive than this place. I see it here in Cincinnati with the difference in tone between regular fans and the discussions on Jungle Noise.

But the negativity on TBD is interesting. You see so much tempering of expectations in order to shield against future disappointment. 

Pretty decent synopsis I must say.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have definitely scaled back my participation. I agree with others that some Twitter toxicity has rolled into here. It’s generally the same people in every thread. I still enjoy the news on here and I enjoy reading some of y’all’s posts. I put in a decent amount of effort to never get too low or too high regarding sports, but the trend seems to favor extreme opinions in a decent amount of fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know a Bills fan at work who says “ where was their impressive win last year ?”

I said “how about at KC ?”

he says “other than that one” 

I find it strange that I’m defending a 3x straight division winning Bills team coming off a 13 win season to another Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Would you even consider the fact that you seem to be demanding that posters agree with you?

I am NOT trying to be mean but seriously, some posters are unhappy with the way certain things are being done and post about it. I have been critical about the way McDermott manages the draft. Do you want me to say how much I love all of his picks? Am I whining if I don't blindly approve of his every move? I think that McDermott is a good game manager but I disagree with his method of team building.

Now, is he better than the garbage we have had in Buffalo for more than 20 years? Of course. That said, I don't feel compelled to praise his sometimes counter productive moves (in my opinion of course).

If everyone agreed with me, you, or really any other poster 100% of the time, this place really would suck. I happen to think that at this point it does not.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Would you even consider the fact that you seem to be demanding that posters agree with you?

I am NOT trying to be mean but seriously, some posters are unhappy with the way certain things are being done and post about it. I have been critical about the way McDermott manages the draft. Do you want me to say how much I love all of his picks? Am I whining if I don't blindly approve of his every move? I think that McDermott is a good game manager but I disagree with his method of team building.

Now, is he better than the garbage we have had in Buffalo for more than 20 years? Of course. That said, I don't feel compelled to praise his sometimes counter productive moves (in my opinion od course).

If everyone agreed with me, you, or really any other poster 100% of the time, this place really would suck. I happen to think that at this point it does not.

This. People come to this board for different things. For me, I prefer to discuss what is going wrong and how to fix it. How to get better or things I want to see done. That is not whining. What is the point of discussing anything if its only "trust the process and dont question anything" or "we could be worse so dont complain or find a new team". I don't get anything out of discussing only how great everything is. This board is not a "lets show how much we love the Bills and support the team" for me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dr. K said:

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

Unsurprisingly, there is a great deal of whining about your post.

• Haha (+1) 2

Somebody really ought to start another thread whining about the people whining about the whining.

And then another one whining about the people whining about the people whining about the whining.

And so forth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Now, is he better than the garbage we have had in Buffalo for more than 20 years? Of course. That said, I don't feel compelled to praise his sometimes counter productive moves (in my opinion of course).

You are making a straw man argument. How could I be demanding that others all agree with me if you don't even know what my specific opinions are? 

Of course people are welcome to have different opinions. My comment is about what seems to me to be a relentless and repetitive negativity that rears its head in just about every discussion on this board. That doesn't mean that I want everybody to pretend the team has no problems. But the tone of this place (IMHO) has deteriorated to the point where I find it draining to even visit the board. I'm just expressing my opinion that it's becoming a total drag. 

Maybe that's to be expected given the many times we've been disappointed. But from a certain point of view it's actually pretty funny, like that Monty Python skit where the old dudes are sitting around complaining how bad their childhoods were. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't post on this forum very often, but I do come on here daily to:

a) get current news on the Bills,

b) gain perspective through debate on where the Bills are at, and where they're headed, and

c) learn about football.

a) News has been getting harder, and harder to find as one has to sift through the malarkey to find relevant information. I miss YOLO, and some of the other past contributors who really dedicated themselves to finding information and passing it along. (@Warcodered and a few others have been stepping up recently-- much appreciated).

b) This is where this forum has really been faltering. There have been pages, and pages wasted on such things like a poster trying to argue his intellectual superiority, and success in life. And as obnoxious as that is, it's equally detrimental to the board to engage in such a conversation.

There are overtly, and intentionally negative posters who seem to have no idea how little credibility they have on this board. Or maybe they do? Maybe they're Patriots* fans here just to troll?

And there is an increasing number of posters whose flat attempts at humor add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Reaching hundreds of pages on DeAndre Hopkins is not a laudable goal. It doesn't make this forum better-- it makes it worse.

c) Oof. There are a handful of posters (some of whom are posting less, and less) whose insights can really increase one's knowledge, and understanding of the game. But as a percentage of what's written on this forum, that number has dropped significantly. Quite frankly, most of the people who post on this forum need to post less.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

You are making a straw man argument. How could I be demanding that others all agree with me if you don't even know what my specific opinions are? 

Of course people are welcome to have different opinions. My comment is about what seems to me to be a relentless and repetitive negativity that rears its head in just about every discussion on this board. That doesn't mean that I want everybody to pretend the team has no problems. But the tone of this place (IMHO) has deteriorated to the point where I find it draining to even visit the board. I'm just expressing my opinion that it's becoming a total drag. 

Maybe that's to be expected given the many times we've been disappointed. But from a certain point of view it's actually pretty funny, like that Monty Python skit where the old dudes are sitting around complaining how bad their childhoods were. 

Thanks for posting this video.  What a hoot!  That's exactly what this board has become.  You used to be able to come to this board and have a balanced discussion...positive and negative.  I think a lot of the more balanced posters have gone.   Even the callers into One Bills Live have become more negative.  It's tiresome and draining.  We all want the Bills to win.  We all crave that Superbowl.  Tearing things down...which is the solution proposed by many...accomplishes nothing, except 17 years of drought.   The team isn't perfect.  Competition is getting stiffer.  Changes have been made this season.  Let's see how they play out.  Then we can have a further discussion.

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't post on this forum very often, but I do come on here daily to:

a) get current news on the Bills,

b) gain perspective through debate on where the Bills are at, and where they're headed, and

c) learn about football.

a) News has been getting harder, and harder to find as one has to sift through the malarkey to find relevant information. I miss YOLO, and some of the other past contributors who really dedicated themselves to finding information and passing it along. (@Warcodered and a few others have been stepping up recently-- much appreciated).

b) This is where this forum has really been faltering. There have been pages, and pages wasted on such things like a poster trying to argue his intellectual superiority, and success in life. And as obnoxious as that is, it's equally detrimental to the board to engage in such a conversation.

There are overtly, and intentionally negative posters who seem to have no idea how little credibility they have on this board. Or maybe they do? Maybe they're Patriots* fans here just to troll?

And there is an increasing number of posters whose flat attempts at humor add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Reaching hundreds of pages on DeAndre Hopkins is not a laudable goal. It doesn't make this forum better-- it makes it worse.

c) Oof. There are a handful of posters (some of whom are posting less, and less) whose insights can really increase one's knowledge, and understanding of the game. But as a percentage of what's written on this forum, that number has dropped significantly. Quite frankly, most of the people who post on this forum need to post less.

This is pretty on spot. My posting and interactions have dropped dramatically because of the fact far more threads since the Cincy loss have been just hot takes or outrage without much substance. TBD is at its best when you can read and have thoughtful discussion that either adds perspective or at least is well based arguments. Since the CIN loss far too often things have resembled facebook political discourse which is a tire fire the moment it is posted. I really do not care if your opinion is negative, but if your going to post back it with some actual rational and facts. Far too often the posts for example are "The Bills Are Faltering" and then literally it is two sentences of gibberish rather then maybe adding the division is tougher, stats on injury recovery, the numbers on first year TE's are not stellar for offensive production etc..

1 hour ago, teef said:

if i post my financials, will that elevate my standing on this board?

You go from community member to SUPER community member

• Like (+1) 2

OP, I mean if Diggs isn’t publicly sulking I’d be as optimistic and thrilled as anyone with the roster - outside of caution with WR2.  

Sorry but this last week is showing there is cause for concern.  Serious concern.  

I still think they’re a SB front runner.  But I need to see 14 in camp and maybe actually clarify some things because as Captain what he’s doing is just unacceptable.   

And what you’re also detecting OP is a fan base that has not only seen the talent gap narrow in the AFC but also are own division.  

I think it’s normal for some angst especially after the way the last 2 playoffs ended.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s interesting. I think Buffalo fans are better losers than winners. I won’t be surprised if fans start booing the Bills next year.

Can you blame us?  It's all we've ever known.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s interesting. I think Buffalo fans are better losers than winners. I won’t be surprised if fans start booing the Bills next year.

I disagree I can’t speak for anyone else but I am pretty happy as a Buffalo Bills fan the Buffalo Bandits won a NLL championship and the Buffalo championship parade was really nice in my opinion. Go Bandits! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

7 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

I disagree I can’t speak for anyone else but I am pretty happy as a Buffalo Bills fan the Buffalo Bandits won a NLL championship and the Buffalo championship parade was really nice in my opinion. Go Bandits! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You should be. Buffalo sports is about to have a great decade or so. 

7 hours ago, Dr. K said:

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

Your post strikes me as quite a bit of whining, to be honest.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well then I consider myself lucky. Thank you for gracing me and the other posters with your presence.

Oh Bill, stop it.  You're not the kind of person I'm talking about and you know it.  Cheers.

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

If you think this place is bad, then I encourage you to take a look at Chiefs Planet…

Absolute zoo.

9 hours ago, Dr. K said:

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

I was just thinking today how lucky we are to have Stephon Diggs. Because of Diggs, Josh is going to get better and learn how to read defenses and adjust on the fly. Because of Diggs, KD is going to have to be on his toes and not be lazy or settle for an garbage offense or garbage plays.

Personally, I think if we win that Super Bowl this year it will be because we have Stephon  Diggs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.