Stop whining!

Dr. K

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

I saw a Buffalo Bills fan, naked, bestial,

Who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

“And because it is my heart.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

It really is just about unbearable.  You’d think we were still in the drought.  Some people are just miserable, or are trying to make others miserable.

And no, I’m not talking about legitimate debate over the roster, whether the WR corps is good enough or if the right moves were made to shore up the OL.

It’s the personal attacks on McDermott, the whining over national pundits, and the presumptions made by a gaggle of “hot pocket” reactionaries who read one tweet and think they know the entire story.

At least we’re only a month away from camp.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 15

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s interesting. I think Buffalo fans are better losers than winners. I won’t be surprised if fans start booing the Bills next year.

Yeah they are.  What's the board like after a win and after a loss?  Well after losses, I sometimes can't sign in on here because all of the traffic.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, eball said:

It really is just about unbearable.  You’d think we were still in the drought.  Some people are just miserable, or are trying to make others miserable.

And no, I’m not talking about legitimate debate over the roster, whether the WR corps is good enough or if the right moves were made to shore up the OL.

It’s the personal attacks on McDermott, the whining over national pundits, and the presumptions made by a gaggle of “hot pocket” reactionaries who read one tweet and think they know the entire story.

Honestly, do you find life outside of TBD to be so much different nowadays? I think this is a sports forum reflection of the world we live in in 2023. 

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, transient said:

Honestly, do you find life outside of TBD to be so much different nowadays? I think this is a sports forum reflection of the world we live in in 2023. 

You might be right.  I just choose to surround myself with different people in real life.  Here I have no choice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

i've see it every year... 

I just don't spend much time entetaining the obssesive negativity here or at Sabrespace forums

just certain personality types and they will not change, they are just wired differently

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

This place is currently populated by the type of fan who:

1) Posts on message boards: tends to skew older. The drought era left a reflexive negativity on our fandom. I mean for the better part of 20 years negative opinions were well founded. I turn 50 this year so I can understand that but for those who were adults in the 70s and 80s I would imagine that cuts even deeper. I remember the 2-14 80s, but I was a kid.  Also, the Bills subreddit is a lot less negative than this place.

2) Posts on an NFL message board in mid June: We’re obsessed. I don’t live in WNY any longer, but I would have to imagine that the general fandom is much more positive than this place. I see it here in Cincinnati with the difference in tone between regular fans and the discussions on Jungle Noise.

But the negativity on TBD is interesting. You see so much tempering of expectations in order to shield against future disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

For pity's sake, this place has become unreadable. Remember when you were a kid and sports were fun?

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

Pass. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s interesting. I think Buffalo fans are better losers than winners. I won’t be surprised if fans start booing the Bills next year.

Anybody that boos a team that wins 13 games is just entitled as ***** that’s the only way I can say it

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All we know is losing. It would be nice to know what it's like to be a winner. I mean a real winner!

4 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

All we know is losing. It would be nice to know what it's like to be a winner. I mean a real winner!

The celebration would be epic. I think every Bills fan would try to make it back to WNY for the celebration. I live in NJ, but I would drive up for it. That would be an event everyone would want to be at.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

And you guarantee we’re closer to winning a Super Bowl with a new coaching staff? That’s the problem. Many say Sean Payton but he’s going on 12 seasons without a Super Bowl. McDermott is on year 7. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, eball said:

You might be right.  I just choose to surround myself with different people in real life.  Here I have no choice.

Agreed Eman.  In my life, I have a choice to either surround myself with positive solution focused people as I have colleagues who choose to surround themselves with people who gripe about their situation.  I work in a contact sport in medical sales.  It’s cutthroat and perpetual competition.  I focus on what I can control and accept what I can’t.

Thats the difference between winners and losers.  It’s important to acknowledge limitations, but then it’s what you can control on other areas.

I still holdout the outside hope of bagging D. Hop as it would complete us, but if not, we focus on seeing if we have 12 in both DK2, can Harty or Sherfield become our outside #2, will Cook and Harris make an appreciable difference in explosiveness.

Thise things.  On defense, has McBeane turned to power and bend inside and out, and more explosive  speed at the 2nd level.  I’m completely confident a healthy secondary of these guys = the best secondary in the league!

Instrad of whining whatever Diggs and team were and are thinking, I’d rather think in June of all the good things that can happen in 23.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

IN THE DESERT

by Stephen Crane

In the desert

And ate of it.

“But I like it

“Because it is bitter,

The mud elephant wading through the sea leaves no tracks,

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And you guarantee we’re closer to winning a Super Bowl with a new coaching staff? That’s the problem. Many say Sean Payton but he’s going on 12 seasons without a Super Bowl. McDermott is on year 7. 

Wait, are you sure you're quoting the right post? At what point in my brief post did I say we're closer to a Super Bowl with this coach staff, much less even mentioning coaching? I was not even close to that road. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I suppose from another vantage point, we are still in a drought of some sort. A championship drought. Expectations and hopes change.

Now, that said this version of Buffalo football is arguably the most entertaining and most complete version of the franchise I have ever seen (and yes, I watched the Super Bowl era). Be it they win a Super Bowl, two Super Bowls or zero Super Bowls I think many are so pressed into being opinionated that they are missing out on enjoying what will likely be "the good old days" before you know it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Like you I don’t spend my time around the negative complainer types, life is far to short to entertain such people, although they are fun to bait from time to time,  In sailing parlance those types of people are what we call hard aground…, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, transient said:

I do.  Online isn't the real world.  Twitter, facebook, even this place.  Anonymity gives people courage to be douchebags and whiners.  

When I interact with people in person, I find them to be just as pleasant.  Even if we have different political ideologies, sports rooting interests, or whatever the outrage flavor of the week is, I still enjoy being around the people I enjoy being around.

People just need to step away from the keyboard and realize that online interaction isn't as authentic as in person interactions.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I suppose from another vantage point, we are still in a drought of some sort. A championship drought. Expectations and hopes change.

Now, that said this version of Buffalo football is arguably the most entertaining and most complete version of the franchise I have ever seen (and yes, I watched the Super Bowl era). Be it they win a Super Bowl, two Super Bowls or zero Super Bowls I think many are so pressed into being opinionated that they are missing out on enjoying what will likely be "the good old days" before you know it.

Agreed.  It may be because I was a kid during the super bowl runs and I didn't realize how special it was, or maybe the drought made me appreciate this success more, or maybe it was a rearrangement of my priorities after starting a family.  Whatever caused it, I love watching this team.  I was emotionally drained at the end of last year.  The 13 second fiasco sucked but I immediately moved on with my life.  This is without question the 2nd best stretch of the entire super bowl era for this team. I'm not going to miss out enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This is the place where people can whine about their football team. No one else cares or wants to hear about it, except for on the message board. It's kinda the reason they exist.

Edited by uticaclub

2 hours ago, eball said:

I concur but start of camp won't change things too much around here

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.