Which would you rather have the Bills draft first, a better #2 TE or a better #2 WR?

Tipster19

3 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I think the better value is in the better #2 TE. It would help solidly the OL while providing help with the passing game. 

If it’s Washington then TE. But I’d still be going WR later in the draft. If you can’t get Washington, might as well hope you get the wr. 

personally I think they may be doing TE. Dorsey did use Winslow and Shockey in Miami. We’ll see 

• Agree 3

Depends who's available at each position.

I'd prefer a WR2. But if there's a run on them and there isn't someone Beane liked and there's someone like Dalton Kincaid or Michael Mayer on the board - I'd be happy with it.

1 hour ago, Taro Nimbus said:

LB

Unless Beane likes Drew Sanders and he's on the board still, the value isn't there at 27 for a MLB. Trade up from 59 for Edmunds replacement, if MLB starts moving before then. Shouldn't cost much in this Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

BPA at either WR or TE....but i hope its TE.

TE  Rankings

#1 - Kelce KC

#2 - Kittle SF

#4 - Goedert Phi

#23 - Knox Buf

notice a trend ?....3 of the final 4 teams who played in Conference Championship games have a Top TE

TE is the biggest/hardest mismatch in coverage

TE is by far the weakest position group on Bills. the only group Beane hasn't added to this offseason.

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I personally think there is going to be a big time run on these TEs starting right around our first pick. May have to go there first if you want the pick of the cream of the crop. If not, a big time trade up in the 2nd might be the only way to land one of the real impact guys. Draft capital we really don't have.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, papazoid said:

BPA at either WR or TE....but i hope its TE.

TE  Rankings

#1 - Kelce KC

#2 - Kittle SF

#4 - Goedert Phi

#23 - Knox Buf

notice a trend ?....3 of the final 4 teams who played in Conference Championship games have a Top TE

TE is the biggest/hardest mismatch in coverage

TE is by far the weakest position group on Bills

Three of the final four teams also had a top five quarterback.  Two years ago, Stafford had Kupp/Beckham while Burrow had Chase/Higgins in the Super Bowl without an elite TE.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.  We made the AFC title game three seasons ago with Diggs and Beasley as our top two options. 

I think we already have a top tier TE in Knox.  We just need to find a way to get him the ball more.  We run a lot of 11 personnel so having Knox and two decent WR's should be enough.  I'd rather draft a WR who would be an upgrade over Davis and eventually take over Diggs's role as the number one.  If the Bills don't feel like there's a WR who can accomplish that at #27 then I'd rather invest in OT, LB, DT, or DE than a tight end.  I wouldn't be opposed to taking a TE in round 2 or 3 though given the depth of this class.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WR is the more impactful position but the TE talent in this draft is superior to the WR talent. 

I’ve vowed to try to steer clear of discussing positions with the draft. The PLAYERS determine the correct answer, not the positions. It isn’t “TE or WR.” It is “Player X (wr)” or “Player Y (te).”  The “X” and the “Y” determine the correct answer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's always a question of who is available, first of all. Also, I don't think any team drafts someone as a #2, they draft the best players they can, and hope they reach their best potential.

Therefore, I'd go against the grain on this one and say TE if there's a star potential guy there. Those guys are way rarer. If Kelce is an A+ tight end, Dawson Knox is a B+/A- at best. Imagine putting a Kelce or Gronk in his prime on this offense....JA wouldn't even know what an incompletion looks like.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills offense runs mostly 11 Personnel, and almost never 12.

Another Tight End would probably sit the bench and go to waste.

If we had a really creative OC, who found ways to utilize the various skills on the roster... then I would be more intrigued.  But so far I have been totally underwhelmed by Ken Dorsey.  It took him half the season to find ways to just get Dawson Knox the ball.  He had no idea how to use Nyheim Hines.  He never took advantage of Isaiah McKenzie on gadget plays.  He pretty much just used Devin Singletary and James Cook interchangeably.  

• Like (+1) 3

Dawson Knox is signed to a huge contract through 2027, so you can value Tight End all you want, but we aren't looking for a #1 Tight End.

If you draft a WR and they hit, the bar isn't #2 WR, it's #1 WR... which I hope we'd agree is a more valuable position than #2 Tight End.

The top 5 WR in the league get paid $25M-$30M per year.

The top 5 TE in the league get paid $14M-$17M per year.

If you want to know which one is more valuable, follow the money.

• Like (+1) 1

I think after pick 20, it's gonna be a crap shoot. There is no telling who will be there and who won't. While I'm on the Campbell train, I'll stick with the premise of the thread.

If Darnell Washington is there at 27(Kincaid and Meyer being gone)...along with every other 27th pick quality, I'd be looking to trade down to the Saints or Philly and get the 4th or 3rd respectively and pick Darnell.

It would be like having a 2nd RT, great run blocker and an outlet that can;t be defended. As far as WR, I like Rashee Rice who can be that alpha in the next yr. or 2 in the 4th if possible. I think he can be an Andre Reed.

Edited by nosejob

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If we had a really creative OC, who found ways to utilize the various skills on the roster... then I would be more intrigued.  But so far I have been totally underwhelmed by Ken Dorsey.  It took him half the season to find ways to just get Dawson Knox the ball.  He had no idea how to use Nyheim Hines.  He never took advantage of Isaiah McKenzie on gadget plays.  He pretty much just used Devin Singletary and James Cook interchangeably.  

I think Dorsey will be much improved this year to the same point I expect our Defense to improve. There was talk on the radio about the reason Josh was reluctant to take a lot more check downs and quick slants and throwing darts.  Maybe Dorsey was reluctant to call them also. It was said that the throwing motion on those throws created different stresses on the elbow vs. the long release.

Not only do I expect a better run game, but more of a quick, move the chains offense this year. I have faith in Dorsey.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Three of the final four teams also had a top five quarterback.  Two years ago, Stafford had Kupp/Beckham while Burrow had Chase/Higgins in the Super Bowl without an elite TE.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.  We made the AFC title game three seasons ago with Diggs and Beasley as our top two options. 

I think we already have a top tier TE in Knox.  We just need to find a way to get him the ball more.  We run a lot of 11 personnel so having Knox and two decent WR's should be enough.  I'd rather draft a WR who would be an upgrade over Davis and eventually take over Diggs's role as the number one.  If the Bills don't feel like there's a WR who can accomplish that at #27 then I'd rather invest in OT, LB, DT, or DE than a tight end.  I wouldn't be opposed to taking a TE in round 2 or 3 though given the depth of this class.

A right tackle who isn't a turnstile would help Knox usage.  Teams starting blitzing more as the year went on too, they saw Allen's tendency to just let it fly and figured thats better than having him run around back there.  

3 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I think Dorsey will be much improved this year to the same point I expect our Defense to improve. There was talk on the radio about the reason Josh was reluctant to take a lot more check downs and quick slants and throwing darts.  Maybe Dorsey was reluctant to call them also. It was said that the throwing motion on those throws created different stresses on the elbow vs. the long release.

Not only do I expect a better run game, but more of a quick, move the chains offense this year. I have faith in Dorsey.

Just be able to do both - thats what makes Mahomes so good.  He can do all the things josh can, but hes also content to just carve you up with screens and short passes.  

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

A right tackle who isn't a turnstile would help Knox usage.  Teams starting blitzing more as the year went on too, they saw Allen's tendency to just let it fly and figured thats better than having him run around back there.  

Just be able to do both - thats what makes Mahomes so good.  He can do all the things josh can, but hes also content to just carve you up with screens and short passes.  

I believe we will see that...especially given the comments of the HEAD coach concerning Allen running.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

and despite how "bad" Dorsey is from a statistical standpoint our 2022 offense was better than the 2021 offense. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Knox gets a lot of love.. I’m personally not sold. 

He's more of a mid tier TE than a top end guy IMO. All the more reason to get a good 2nd TE. People cry we didn't use our 2nd TE well because last year our backup TE wasn't a great player. 

I think the Bills are hoping that Addison drops and if he does, I suspect he'll be the pick.  If Addison is not available they may go with one of the top two backs or a RT, possibly may even reach for a MLB.

Tight End could be a possibility as well, I can't remember a year with so many good TE prospects, there will definitely be a premium prospect available in the first round, but there are so many good prospects that I'd rather wait until the 3rd-4th round to grab one.

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think the Bills are hoping that Addison drops and if he does, I suspect he'll be the pick.  If Addison is not available they may go with one of the top two backs or a RT, possibly may even reach for a MLB.

Tight End could be a possibility as well, I can't remember a year with so many good TE prospects, there will definitely be a premium prospect available in the first round, but there are so many good prospects that I'd rather wait until the 3rd-4th round to grab one.

The best ones are going by the end of the second. The ones that will be left are not that special.

5 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I'd rather a better WR 2. But this draft sounds like it has better TE. So I'll take a Kelce type player. As Beane said we want the best weapon.

Kelce type player? you kidding me? lol the Gronks and the Kelce's come once every 10 years or so.. the question is just stupid captain obvious, so I am bored, and I am going to see who bites type of question... WR... OBVIOUSLY lol

I like the idea of having a two tight end set, Knox could be freed up to be split out more often and we could get more use out of him. Having two TE targets should also help Josh focus on the shorter and intermediate routes. It should also help the run game. The backup TE position is basically a zero now, so any add helps if they want to change the offense to use one. I personally am ok taking one in the first round if he can be that well-rounded player, but like when they took Knox I assume they will target a list of guys and probably not take one in the first. 

As far as your question, I think they are fine with Davis at #2 and if all else was even would take a TE first. Probably why they will be going MLB or DL.

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Kelce type player? you kidding me? lol the Gronks and the Kelce's come once every 10 years or so.. the question is just stupid captain obvious, so I am bored, and I am going to see who bites type of question... WR... OBVIOUSLY lol

Kelce was drafted in 2013, so this must be the year!  

• Haha (+1) 1

Being that our OC and QB do not involve TEs with any frequency a WR is a more practical choice.  Now if by chance our OC plans in utilizing ALL available weapons in his “scheme” then a TE could well be a good move, but according to what gets bandied around on this board, that a TE takes two to three years to develop…, I’m thinking WR or the best damn O-lineman that can start immediately, would still be the better choices.  But we all know it’s going to be an Edge rusher…, 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.