Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is a wild guess but I think the bills were prepared to forfeit if needed so they started packing up their stuff first and Zac Taylor may have agreed to postpone the game.  Maybe the nfl left it up to the coaches or the coaches straight up decided they weren’t playing on their own 

It sounded like the officials were giving them 5 minutes to resume play and the coaches basically said F**k Off and took their teams off the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

So pumped up for this game and can’t believe this happened. Played a lot of football and saw crazier hits in a few of the bowls games. Puts everything in perspective of how fragile life is. I pray that’s he ok.  Nothing else really matters besides that. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Just now, Fleezoid said:

is this real? because it's a good sign.

I wish a non-medical person, even if he is attached to Hamlin, would not put any info out until medical staff have done what they can do for him and truly assess the situation.

What we will not know, is what the long term effects will be for this young man god willing he pulls through.

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think I first noticed what looked like Tears in Mcd’s eyes.. I was more  worried and then Allen was in tears and his  look was something that will live with me for a long time. 

I think the haunted look on Josh's face will stay with me the longest out of everything. Think that was the gut wrenching moment when the seriousness really hit home.

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It was McDermott’s reaction for me. He’s always so calm no matter the situation.

He was visibly distraught. 

That's when I first knew something was wrong. McD looked like he was crying or at best holding back tears.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

From my ER doc friend- assuming the tweets about vitals is accurate 

He will be intubated overnight. Its normal. They will take him to the cathlab and put an implantable difibrillator. If he has a pulse now, he will be fine

lets hope and continue to pray 

I'm no doc, but my worry would be how long did he go without oxygen to the brain. They worked on him on the field for 20 minutes before they took him away. It's a scary situation all around. 

5 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

What do you mean? When Dane was hurt the ambulance came out. 

You're right. Forgot about that.

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If he is not basing his tweet on word from medical officials,  he needs to be fired.  At this point,  no one should speculate or make firm statements unless backed by medical staff of the UC hospital 

Agreed, it may not be the best move, but I think everyone is just worried and upset right now. IMO it's best not to speculate on motives and choose to show a little grace, but I'm by no means criticizing you for having an opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately we most likely won't know anything for at least a few days. As an ICU nurse, I've cared for people many times after resuscitation. Word is out that he is intubated in critical condition.

This means he will be in a medically induced coma, via sedation. They will have him in hypothermia protocol for 48 hrs before attempting to reduce sedation meds to test ability to respond and breath on his own.  

Until they begin testing for ability to breath and respond to commands, they won't know his level of brain function. The worry is if he suffered an hypoxic brain injury.

Just giving this info out so people understand what to expect with updates going forward.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 9

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sickening - and you didn’t know if he was going to live or die. 

When I heard that they were going to have the players warm up for 5 minutes and then resume the game my reaction was “Oh, thank god he’s okay.” I can’t believe the league tried to do that without any positive information about Hamlin’s condition. Just unbelievable disregard for the players as human beings. 

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It was McDermott’s reaction for me. He’s always so calm no matter the situation.

He was visibly distraught. 

agreed. He started walking on the field and I thought to myself well this is weird. And then looking at him I turned my wife and said I think he’s crying. And that’s when they started scanning the faces of the other players on the team. Not at that point something wasn’t right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

https://ksi.uconn.edu/emergency-conditions/cardiac-conditions/commotio-cordis/

"Commotio Cordis refers to the sudden arrhythmic death caused by a low/mild chest wall impact.  Commotio Cordis is seen mostly in athletes between the ages of 8 and 18 who are partaking in sports with projectiles such as baseballs, hockey pucks, or lacrosse balls.  These projectiles can strike the athletes in the middle of the chest with a low impact but enough to cause the heart to enter an arrhythmia. Martial arts is a sport in which a strike of a hand can also cause the heart to change it’s rhythm.  Without immediate CPR and defibrillation the prognosis of commotio cordis is not very good.  This condition is extremely dangerous with rare survival."

Yeah it's an injury most associated with baseball because players don't pad up.   You can buy shirts with a special circular series of pads in the center of the chest.   I made my youngest wear one but never told him why.   Didn't figure anything good could come out of making him scared of the ball.    Still no guarantee of safety.   Instant death on the field from this among children in youth baseball is not as uncommon as you'd think.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Sad 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

When I heard that they were going to have the players warm up for 5 minutes and then resume the game my reaction was “Oh, thank god he’s okay.” I can’t believe the league tried to do that without any positive information about Hamlin’s condition. Just unbelievable disregard for the players as human beings. 

Nobody has any idea whether this is even true

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Thankfully the Bills and Bengals have the moral compass and the stones to make the right call, regardless of the league decision being made. Lots of respect for both the leaders and players of both teams for having the heart to do what is right. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is a wild guess but I think the bills were prepared to forfeit if needed so they started packing up their stuff first and Zac Taylor may have agreed to postpone the game.  Maybe the nfl left it up to the coaches or the coaches straight up decided they weren’t playing on their own so the nfl needed to come out with a statement that matched 

maybe. 

but while the first 30 mins seemed like an eternity for us- the guys at the league office (many of whom were likely at home) trying to coordinate with the nflpa, coaches, officials, medics, stadium personnel, ESPN, etc… probably barely remember it from the number of conversations they were coordinating with little to no info. Emergency response is imperfect, and most likely had no idea what they were dealing with until the moment you and I did. We just watched a terrible situation unfold in real time on tv and short of a headline that the league office was inappropriately pushing til the last minute, I don’t see the upside in vilifying them.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7

27 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Was discussing with wife. We’re both physicians and this is what we think as well . One moment talking to teammates and the next, on the ground. Aortic rupture/dissection is likely - something caused blood from reaching the brain quickly. V fib from a hit to chest wouldn’t have been delayed. 

Would cpr be effective in the case of an aortic rupture/dissection.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.