Tre White expected back to full practice after the Bye (update - won’t play vs GB)

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Going on a year now, so White’s continued delay is starting to get concerning. However, the team has earned the ability to be ultra conservative, so hopefully this is all just cautionary. Looking forward to seeing him back…hopefully by the end of the year.

It is concerning to me. We are 11 months removed from the injury now and we are 10 and a half months removed from the surgery. From what was described to us at the time as an ACL with no other ligament or structural damage associated he is behind schedule. I think there was a setback somewhere that the team have not made public. That is their right to do so. But he is behind any normal schedule unless the way they described the injury initially was in fact inaccurate and there was additional damage. It is that latter possibility that I confess is concerning me a little. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Going on a year now, so White’s continued delay is starting to get concerning. However, the team has earned the ability to be ultra conservative, so hopefully this is all just cautionary. Looking forward to seeing him back…hopefully by the end of the year.

Maybe he needs an amputation, worst case, no? I think it's always good to worry about the worst case scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Not concerning to me. The young guys are holding their own, so there is no reason to rush him back yet. He will be ready for the playoffs, and that’s what matters most. 

• Agree 2

While I'm disappointed Tre won't make his return for SNF, I think if he is not completely ready then I'm glad the Bills are taking it slow.  This only further helps to cement the reputation of this organization as one that looks after their players.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm all for White taking his time and being 100% before he comes back.

It's like trading for a top 5 CB right before the playoff run, with no bumps and bruises from the season!

Expecting him to step in and perform like a top 5 CB is wildly optimistic imo

• Like (+1) 1

I'm in the "don't worry about this" crowd.  He'll get activated to the 53 next week and most likely be in a reserve depth role

for a bit.  Slowly ramping up his snap count would just be the smart thing to do.

It's about having him back for the end of the season and the playoffs without endangering his long-term career.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I wish they would just come out and admit that after he trains on it, it isn't responding well.

Remember in training camp he was working hard off to the side and then he was just gone?

You can't get better than 100%, sitting out after your 100% and thinking its going to "heal" better is a myth.  He isn't 100% yet, which at 11 months post surgery, is extremely concerning.  Look at Odell.  He said his ACL didn't feel correct after his first tear, and he tore it again.

Yep. My guess is there was a setback after that first week and a half of camp when he was off to the side every day and the Bills have kept it quiet. They are within their rights to do that of course. But at this stage either the description of the initial injury was inaccurate or there has been a setback in the rehab. Because it should not take 10 and a half months for an NFL player off an ACL tear with no other damage to get back on the field in this day and age. 

• Agree 2

I think its just the case of them not wanting to rush him back until he is completely ready. They don't particularly need him (I know hard to say) right now as Benford, Elam, and Jackson have been more than holding it down. 

Why rush him back if that's the case. They even cited rushing Thomas Davis back only to watch him tear his ACL again. Chris Godwin rushed back after tearing his and he lasted one week before he went down with a Hamstring. 

Just be patient, let the young guys do their thing. They are looking at White's full career over rushing him back for a mid season game that they should win even without him. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is concerning to me. We are 11 months removed from the injury now and we are 10 and a half months removed from the surgery. From what was described to us at the time as an ACL with no other ligament or structural damage associated he is behind schedule. I think there was a setback somewhere that the team have not made public. That is their right to do so. But he is behind any normal schedule unless the way they described the injury initially was in fact inaccurate and there was additional damage. It is that latter possibility that I confess is concerning me a little. 

I’m thinking the spleen may have been involved. 

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. My guess is there was a setback after that first week and a half of camp when he was off to the side every day and the Bills have kept it quiet. They are within their rights to do that of course. But at this stage either the description of the initial injury was inaccurate or there has been a setback in the rehab. Because it should not take 10 and a half months for an NFL player off an ACL tear with no other damage to get back on the field in this day and age. 

?

Recovery range is usually given as 9-12 months.  10 1/2 months is well within that. 

Here's a 2021 study of WR and RB rtp (I would think physical demands on DB would be similar).  In this study, the mean RTP was 13.6 months.

Capture.JPG

Even soccer players, who are noted for having a more aggressive RTP timeline than some other sports (and who are not supposed to be tackling each other on every play), the mean is 216 ± 109 days, which means an average of 7.2 months, but 10.8 months is within 1 standard deviation ie not unusually long.

Would you mind citing the sources for your information that it shouldn't take 10.5 months in this day an age?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He def had a set back… 9 months is the typical date when returning back to sport… he’s at around 11 months post surgery. 

If he did, no big deal. Guys may return after 9-10 months but they are also usually not the player that they were before the injury. It usually takes a good 18 months for them to be the player they were before the injury. Let him take his time. We are facing a Packers team void of WR talent and a Jets team that has good WR's but doesn't have a QB to get them the ball.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Source for this info on normal and behind schedule?

• Like (+1) 1

Removing the red jersey and allowing him to participate fully in practice does not suggest a “set back” in his recovery. Wanting to see a full week of full participation in practice while maximizing roster flexibility vis a vis his current PUP status makes a lot of sense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

To me it’s a roster saving move plus they give White another week of practice.

The Bills have some tough roster decisions to make to activate White. We could see some trades.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if Beane is trying to make a trade to open a roster spot

Also wouldn't surprise me if potential trade partners are hanging back saying "yeah, we know you're gonna cut someone to activate White so we'll take our time...." and the Bills saying "nope, Tre not playing Sunday" is one way of saying "don't hold your breath past the trade deadline on that..."

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think its just the case of them not wanting to rush him back until he is completely ready. They don't particularly need him (I know hard to say) right now as Benford, Elam, and Jackson have been more than holding it down. 

Why rush him back if that's the case. They even cited rushing Thomas Davis back only to watch him tear his ACL again. Chris Godwin rushed back after tearing his and he lasted one week before he went down with a Hamstring. 

Just be patient, let the young guys do their thing. They are looking at White's full career over rushing him back for a mid season game that they should win even without him. 

(They don't really need him right now)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.