Tre White expected back to full practice after the Bye (update - won’t play vs GB)

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why do you assume it's not between Dane and Benford?

Because Elam has elite traits and work habits and is getting better with every snap, not even mentioning the 2 picks including a spectacular INT in the end zone in crunch time

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

And Hyde..

Only problem is their starters are coming back I believe and Hyde is not…

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Lost in all the hype about White returning and the perceived depth of the secondary, is the Bills giving up back to back 300 yard passer games which has been a rarity by this regime.

Granted last week against the Steelers it was truly hollow and mostly came in garbage time, but Mahomes still had a lot of success against this team other than the 2 turnovers which were the difference.

As others have mentioned I still don't see White starting full time and being on more a snap count this season until they are 100% confident in him being back to form, if that even happens this year. Still won't be surprised if we see Xavier Rhodes at some point as well.

Eh, a third of their yards came on a play where three defenders collided and the other was an obvious pic play. Not concerned…

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Tre White expected back to full practice after the Bye (update - won’t play vs GB)
3 minutes ago, jletha said:

Doent this mean he he has to be activated before the Jets game though?

I think they have 21 days to activate him now.

I'm guessing White probably just now needs to get back into the flow and get in football shape.  Dane and the rookies have done well for the most part.  No need to rush IMO.

Edited by Scott7975

Just now, Big Blitz said:

If he has been removed from IR they have 21 days to activate him or his season is over, correct?

He was removed from PUP not IR, but yes he has to either be activated or moved to IR next week. 

What may be a little unclear is whether they can activate him but not play him next week. Anyone know if he can activated if he's still technically unable to play? 

I am honestly not sure what the holdup is, unless they want to be extra, extra sure. The brass didn't need to activate him if they thought he would be three weeks away still. Maybe he just is having some trouble getting up to game speed and they want the Jets and Zach Wilson to warm him up?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He is already activated. He is practicing and taking up a roster spot. Whether he is listed Inactive on gameday is separate, and not an issue.

Ah, my bad, was he on the temp-IR list as well? I didnt see that.

No he was never on IR, he started this year on PUP and that's where he still is. 

He won't take up a roster spot until he is activated from PUP. The practice window doesn't take him off that list. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

No he was never on IR, he started this year on PUP and that's where he still is. 

He won't take up a roster spot until he is activated from PUP. The practice window doesn't take him off that list. 

Yeah, I deleted my post entirely, lol. He's still listed on PUP on the Bills site so I guess nothing has really changed yet.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, jletha said:

Doent this mean he he has to be activated before the Jets game though?

If he's not activated by Tuesday then he goes back on IR for 4 weeks. My guess is he'll be activated, but then just be a game day inactive if they think he needs another week. Begs the question why they took him off PUP when they did if that's the case though...

9 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

He was removed from PUP not IR, but yes he has to either be activated or moved to IR next week. 

What may be a little unclear is whether they can activate him but not play him next week. Anyone know if he can activated if he's still technically unable to play? 

Just has to be on the 53. They can make him a game day inactive but he has to be on the active roster by Tuesday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Going on a year now, so White’s continued delay is starting to get concerning. However, the team has earned the ability to be ultra conservative, so hopefully this is all just cautionary. Looking forward to seeing him back…hopefully by the end of the year.

• Eyeroll 2

Bills are definitely playing the long game here.  GB probably won't have Lazar nor Cobb.  So rookie WRs being covered by rookie DBs seems like a reasonable gamble.  Non-conference game.  And this gets our DBs more time in the breech.  Reality is White is needed for December and January games unless injuries impact the DB again.

When you look at the schedule, Rams, Fins, Chiefs had the scariest early season receiver corps and they came through just fine.   Another good test for them.

• Like (+1) 6

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think they have 21 days to activate him now.

I'm guessing White probably just now needs to get back into the flow and get in football shape.  Dane and the rookies have done well for the most part.  No need to rush IMO.

Since the injury, the Bills record, including thanksgiving and playoffs is 11-4.  

2 of those losses were OT games against Brady and Mahomes. 

it will be great to get him back on the field, but their post-Tre record indicates there’s no need to rush him back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Bills are definitely playing the long game here.  GB probably won't have Lazar nor Cobb.  So rookie WRs being covered by rookie DBs seems like a reasonable gamble.  Non-conference game.  And this gets our DBs more time in the breech.  Reality is White is needed for December and January games unless injuries impact the DB again.

When you look at the schedule, Rams, Fins, Chiefs had the scariest early season receiver corps and they came through just fine.   Another good test for them.

So true.  When you consider how "worried" everyone was about his not playing early in the season and what ultimately happened, you

couldn't ask for a better scenario.  They can bring him around as slow as they want.  Having him back for the Miami and Cincinatti games

is all that matters right now.  The Vikings are the only passing threat team in between then and now.  If he is full go for that game great.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

If he's not activated by Tuesday then he goes back on IR for 4 weeks. My guess is he'll be activated, but then just be a game day inactive if they think he needs another week. Begs the question why they took him off PUP when they did if that's the case though...

Yea thats what I thought, and is weird that thay took him off PUP if they felt it was this close. I really thought it was obvious that he would play after the bye, but Ill trust the staff. Would really stink if he needs another 4 weeks.

I believe that all those saying if he's not activated by the end of the 21 day window, he has to miss at least the next four weeks, are incorrect.

In actuality, if he is not activated by the end of the 21 day window, he has to be shut down for the rest of the season.

I don't believe that will happen, of course.

I suspect they're being ultra conservative for two reasons: For one, they don't immediately need him. The Bills secondary has been playing well without him. Secondly, ACL injury recurrence has demonstrated to happen much more frequently if the person who suffered the tear comes back too soon. They're playing the long game. They need him in December and January (and hopefully February).

Expect him to be activated off PUP next week, and then to either start against the Jets or be a game day inactive if they still feel he needs more time.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, wjag said:

Wouldn’t you want it the other way around though? I’d prefer White in his first game back not to have to be relied on to cover a top WR. 

White against a depleted GB team would be ideal to ease him back into the action, IMO. 

little concerned he’s not game ready yet,  (like a 2 out of 10 on the scale) won’t start getting really worried until the next decisions come out. 

Isn’t there a loop hole where they can activate him for a day and then move him to 4 week IR? 

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe that all those saying if he's not activated by the end of the 21 day window, he has to miss at least the next four weeks, are incorrect.

In actuality, if he is not activated by the end of the 21 day window, he has to be shut down for the rest of the season.

I don't believe that will happen, of course.

I suspect they're being ultra conservative for two reasons: For one, they don't immediately need him. The Bills secondary has been playing well without him. Secondly, ACL injury recurrence has demonstrated to happen much more frequently if the person who suffered the tear comes back too soon. They're playing the long game. They need him in December and January (and hopefully February).

Expect him to be activated off PUP next week, and then to either start against the Jets or be a game day inactive if they still feel he needs more time.

Incorrect. That only applies to a player coming off the short-term IR, which Tredavious is not. He's coming off PUP.

I think Tre gets activated next week and plays some during the Jets game. A little more on the field against the Vikings who have Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen. By the time we get to Thanksgiving I expect him to be back to full speed out there. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Incorrect. That only applies to a player coming off the short-term IR, which Tredavious is not. He's coming off PUP.

That's not what I read here:

https://theathletic.com/3454626/2022/07/28/nfl-pup-list-faq/

"The player has to remain on the reserve/PUP list for at least the first four regular season games (Oct. 3 or 4 this season), which is new this season.

Once a player leaves the reserve/PUP list, he has up to 21 days to return to the 53-man roster. He can practice with the team until he’s taken off the list. If the player still isn’t able to play in games after the 21-day span, he’ll stay on the reserve/PUP list for the rest of the season."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

"The player has to remain on the reserve/PUP list for at least the first four regular season games (Oct. 3 or 4 this season), which is new this season.

Once a player leaves the reserve/PUP list, he has up to 21 days to return to the 53-man roster. He can practice with the team until he’s taken off the list. If the player still isn’t able to play in games after the 21-day span, he’ll stay on the reserve/PUP list for the rest of the season."

They can activate him and then put him on IR if they want.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I wish they would just come out and admit that after he trains on it, it isn't responding well.

Remember in training camp he was working hard off to the side and then he was just gone?

You can't get better than 100%, sitting out after your 100% and thinking its going to "heal" better is a myth.  He isn't 100% yet, which at 11 months post surgery, is extremely concerning.  Look at Odell.  He said his ACL didn't feel correct after his first tear, and he tore it again.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, wjag said:

I agree with this sentiment, but he also might need a few games played to get back into the swing of things, so we need to make sure he gets enough playing time in the regular season to ensure he is ready to go for that final regular season push and the playoffs.

39 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Just has to be on the 53. They can make him a game day inactive but he has to be on the active roster by Tuesday.

CLT is correct.  The Bills have to make a roster move and add Tre White to the 53 man roster by Tuesday.

After at least 24 hrs on the 53 man roster, the Bills can then choose to place him on IR for 4 games, or keep him on the 53 man roster but make him inactive on game day if they don't think he's ready.  

That's the "loophole" to the PUP/21 day window to activate or go on season ending IR

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

LIke a lot of things in the NFL, it turns out there's a trick

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.