Josh Norris highlighting Gabe clearly not 100 percent

Steel City Mafia

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They did that with Davis last year.........easing him into the lineup until his ankle healed.

But they had depth at receiver last season.   Not the case this season.

They have depth at DT........if they didn't I suspect Oliver would have been playing.

They had 2 players at the end of their careers. Not exactly great depth. It was depth by name.

58 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Gabe could have said to his coaches, "my ankle is total dog poo. I need to sit out the rest of the season and let other receivers that can actually run take my place"  Instead he most likely said, "WAAAHHHH!  I don't want to sit out! I wanna play football! WAAHHHHH!

C'mon man.  What professional athlete in any sport who says to his coach "I can't go 'cuz my ankle is bad, I need to let the next man up take my place"? 

Beasley played on a broken leg and with broken ribs when he was clearly hampered, rather than let McKenzie (who did a great job when he got a chance vs. the Pats) take his place.

Do you actually know any professional athletes (any sport)?

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They had 2 players at the end of their careers. Not exactly great depth. It was depth by name.

I understand your point, but I think the point being made is that a WR room of Diggs-Sanders-Beasley-Davis-McKenzie is arguably deeper than a WR room where you do this: Diggs-Sanders-Beasley-Davis-McKenzie and add Crowder and rookie Shakir.

They can't really sit Davis because with Kumerow out, they really have no one else who can fill his role on the team.  Don't tell me Hodgins because the guy can't release off the line from jams, can't separate against the top corners, and he can't block which is actually something Davis is being asked to do on a number of the 60 out of 63 snaps where he wasn't targetted.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Steel City Mafia said:

At the :48 mark of tweeted highlights - look how much daylight Motor has if we swung it out to him.  

Any RB gurus - why does he turn out toward Josh and not in toward the field when he slips out?  Is this what we mean by RBs having elite traits as pass catchers; that's what they do right?  

Hind sight is 20/20.  Foresight is often a guess.  We can look at the last game and say Davis was handicapped by his ankle injury.  Unfortunately, we can't look at the next game and know how much his injured ankle will have healed up in a week's time.   I think this is an area where we have to defer to the best judgment of team doctors, training staff and coaches.  Maybe they'll make the wrong decision, but they're still better equipped to make it than we are.

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is false.

Gabe played almost 800 snaps as a rookie.

His snaps were limited last year because he had a bad ankle and since they actually had another capable WR in Emmanuel Sanders they were able to ease Gabe thru the first 3 months of the season until his ankle was healed.

Alot of that was while Brown was out.  The rest of it was in spell of Brown or 5 wide sets. It was either him or Kumerow.

As for the following year, Gabe had between 20+ snaps in almost every game that year.  He wasnt held out because of his ankle.  As an example of this there was a 3 week stretch... Gabe had 19 snaps, the following week Beasley must have got injured because he only had 9 so Gabe got 30 snaps, the very next week Gabe went back down to 19 snaps.  It was similar all year long.  He wasnt held out all year over his ankle when he was getting almost 20 snaps per game and it spiked up everytime someone went out.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Who TF is John Norris and why should I care about his evaluation of a player based on tweet of a play on a rain-soaked grass field?

I will tackle the statistics though

Josh has 168 passing attempts to date.  12.3% is 20 attempts.  7.7% is 13 attempts.  This guy is trying to make a deal out of 7 passes, or less than 2 passes per game - one of which was played in a sun oven by a team that was intent on forcing the Bills to dink-n-dunk, and one of which was played in a monsoon by a team intent on heavy and varied pressure looks. 

So I would guess that difference is likely not, at this point, statistically significant.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Who TF is John Norris and why should I care about his evaluation of a player based on tweet of a play on a rain-soaked grass field?

I will tackle the statistics though

Josh has 168 passing attempts to date.  12.3% is 20 attempts.  7.7% is 13 attempts.  This guy is trying to make a deal out of 7 passes, or less than 2 passes per game - one of which was played in a sun oven by a team that was intent on forcing the Bills to dink-n-dunk, and one of which was played in a monsoon by a team intent on heavy and varied pressure looks. 

So I would guess that difference is likely not, at this point, statistically significant.

You watch your mouth when you talking about Josh Norris.  He will kung fu kick your... oh wait.  Wrong Norris.

Carry on.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Alot of that was while Brown was out.  The rest of it was in spell of Brown or 5 wide sets. It was either him or Kumerow.

As for the following year, Gabe had between 20+ snaps in almost every game that year.  He wasnt held out because of his ankle.  As an example of this there was a 3 week stretch... Gabe had 19 snaps, the following week Beasley must have got injured because he only had 9 so Gabe got 30 snaps, the very next week Gabe went back down to 19 snaps.  It was similar all year long.  He wasnt held out all year over his ankle when he was getting almost 20 snaps per game and it spiked up everytime someone went out.

Davis was used cautiously in 2021.   If you don't believe it then tell that to Bills mouthpiece/shill and sideline reporter Sal Capaccio who spoke openly about it all last season.........even reporting when Davis started to practice better late in the season.    The notion that he was just riding the pine in favor of Sanders was something floated by McDermott bashers.   He wasn't healthy.   Same sh*t, different season........but this time the next boundary WR on the depth chart was a WR7 quality target with almost zero career production in Jake Kumerow instead of a career 54 yard per game receiver in Emmanuel Sanders.

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Davis was used cautiously in 2021.   If you don't believe it then tell that to Bills mouthpiece/shill and sideline reporter Sal Capaccio who spoke openly about it all last season.........even reporting when Davis started to practice better late in the season.    The notion that he was just riding the pine in favor of Sanders was something floated by McDermott bashers.   He wasn't healthy.   Same sh*t, different season........but this time the next boundary WR on the depth chart was a WR7 quality target with almost zero career production in Jake Kumerow instead of a career 54 yard per game receiver in Emmanuel Sanders.

If you look at his game by game snap counts that logic doesnt fly to me.  I don't care what Sal said.  They sure had no problem sporadically upping his snap counts anytime someone else had a booboo.  Even a high ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks.  The NFL season is much longer than that.  They used him just like I said... when they needed to for other booboos, in relief of receiver needing rest, and when they went wide sets.

Im certainly not a McDermott basher.

Edited by Scott7975

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

If you look at his game by game snap counts that logic doesnt fly to me.  I don't care what Sal said.  They sure had no problem sporadically upping his snap counts anytime someone else had a booboo.  Even a high ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks.  The NFL season is much longer than that.  They used him just like I said... when they needed to for other booboos, in relief of receiver needing rest, and when they went wide sets.

He injured the ankle in the 2020 season.   It was re-injured or aggravated in preseason of 2021.   Which should have called into question how the injury was handled after the 2020 season ended.   He played thru it and just like Sunday, he was notably diminished but he was still the next best option on the perimeter to Sanders.   This year they went without a net.   So Gabe played all 93 snaps on a bad ankle in Miami.    If Davis were playing in a bigger market his and the teams handling of his recurring boo-boo foot would have been explored.   Maybe they have decided to play him til the wheels fall off because he has refused to go under the knife.   We don't know but what we do know is it's the 3rd season out of 3 that has been impacted by an injury to the same foot. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Must be more than an ankle. His confidence seems shot and it’s showing on the field. 

I see what you did there.    Let's not make this a rona' thread. ;)

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Have you ever had an ankle sprain and tried play any sport? Everything is off. 

I played as a WR. It affects your cuts, not your hands concentration unless it hurts, which means he should be sitting this early in the season. I think they are solely keeping him in there for his blocks which still taxes his ankles and is unnecessary when we never run. It’s dumb coaching to not sit him and get him right for some big games coming up. Put Shakir wide and keep McKenzie in the slot. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I agree that it wasn't "great" depth but those 2 players at the end of their careers produced over 1300 yards receiving last season..........with the current starters in "reserve".    Kumerow being the top boundary option after Diggs and Davis is a huge drop-off from 2021.    They are getting what they paid for with Crowder.........with his current injury that will make it 4 of the last 5 years he's missed 4 or more games entirely in addition to being regularly banged up/limited.

Not for nothing you question the offseason training regimen.  Not sure muscling up was the best idea for a guy with lower body wear and tear - the extra torque may not have helped his weak ankles.  

Imagine if instead of collecting scrub RBs on Day 2, Beane had focused on acquiring speedster WRs with those picks.  You’d think at least one would have panned out, maybe all three, and the Bills would have the most dynamic offense in the NFL.  Instead it’s Allen-Diggs-some other guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Nope. Look at the tall safety. 

Uh what about him?

That is as open as you can ever expect to get in the NFL. If you’re worried about that safety then you don’t realize the tight windows that NFL quarterbacks throw into on nearly every pass.

Gabe is one of my favorite players and I had high hopes for him this year, but he should sit this Steelers game. Teams will catch on if he's a decoy, he was hobbling on the ankle during the Miami game and it's clearly still bothering him. I'd rather him heal up more and possibly be ready for KC. Otherwise it's just going to linger all season. 

15 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Davis is hurting this team. He's beginning to be a selfish jerk for insisting to play and not let the up and coming receivers play. Is he afraid to lose his job? 

It is really saying something about this place that I can’t totally tell if you’re being sarcastic…

Edited by Captain Caveman

On 10/4/2022 at 9:00 PM, DCbillsfan said:

I agree.  They should sit Davis against the Steelers.  See if he's ok for Chiefs.

Hindsight being a full on 20/20.  How did that work out for you?

Time and time again - I trust the Bills coaches and staff WAY more than a random TBD poster....

On 10/5/2022 at 8:37 AM, extrahammer said:

Gabe is one of my favorite players and I had high hopes for him this year, but he should sit this Steelers game. Teams will catch on if he's a decoy, he was hobbling on the ankle during the Miami game and it's clearly still bothering him. I'd rather him heal up more and possibly be ready for KC. Otherwise it's just going to linger all season. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, Joe Ferguson said:

Gabe could have said to his coaches, "my ankle is total dog poo. I need to sit out the rest of the season and let other receivers that can actually run take my place"  Instead he most likely said, "WAAAHHHH!  I don't want to sit out! I wanna play football! WAAHHHHH!

Dude WHAT are you talking about lollll holy hell. You think it's the players call to say they aren't playing 😆

On 10/5/2022 at 4:39 PM, GunnerBill said:

I have been saying ir for two weeks. There was a practice video from the Thursday before Miami where it was abundently clear the guy was not ready. 

Sit him down. Heal him up. Him hobbling about out there is helping nobody.

Or just play him 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.