Belichick: September might be an extended preseason

PromoTheRobot

9 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Breaks my heart to see this happen to such a proud franchise.

Just kidding I hope they go 0-17.

Actually, I'd like them to have a litany of seasons where they finish in the range between 6-11 and 8-9.  Good enough to pick in the 11-18 range but never bad enough to have a shot at an actual top QB without totally mortgaging their future

And may their next victory against the Bills in a game that matters come in like the 2037 season

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Typical Belichick with his psyche shenanigans. Pats will be solid. Lots of talent on that defense. Barmore could be the best DL in the division.

Closet pats fan, 

• Haha (+1) 1

I was dismissive of them last year, and we still needed the Colts to come through late in the season to win the division.

BB can probably coach over half the rosters in the league to contention.

All that said - they certainly don't scare me a bit.  Which is something I haven't said since the '90s.  Game manager QB, not much of a secondary or pass rush, middlin' WR corps.  They're not making any deep playoff runs anytime soon.

It's worth mentioning that Belichick has always felt this way. It's not a commentary on the Pats right now. For Belichick, September has always been about figuring out what kind of team you have so that you can maximize that team's potential for the rest of the season.

All that being said I expect the Pats to be pretty bad this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I was dismissive of them last year, and we still needed the Colts to come through late in the season to win the division.

BB can probably coach over half the rosters in the league to contention.

All that said - they certainly don't scare me a bit.  Which is something I haven't said since the '90s.  Game manager QB, not much of a secondary or pass rush, middlin' WR corps.  They're not making any deep playoff runs anytime soon.

Their roster management has been a catastrophe. They need a GM. He might be a good coach but he's the worst GM since Matt Millen.

They are quietly tanking this season, along with about 7 or 8 other teams to enter the Stroud/Young QB sweepstakes.  (Falcons, Texans, Bears, Seahawks, Giants, Commanders, New Orleans).  Busy trade deadline on the horizon. 

The Bills are testament that your franchise is running in place without blue chip talent at QB, so you've got to tank it to get into position to get one.  

Its going to be so sweet to see them fall into mediocrity/sucktitude while fanboys and media continue their delusional "but its Bellichek never count him out!" mantra.  I hope so dearly his last years are horrible and he retires with his "legacy" tarnished.  Fat, miserable, cheating POS

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's worth mentioning that Belichick has always felt this way. It's not a commentary on the Pats right now. For Belichick, September has always been about figuring out what kind of team you have so that you can maximize that team's potential for the rest of the season.

All that being said I expect the Pats to be pretty bad this season.

100% this.  

Every team is still figuring things out in September.  How many times were the fans and media declaring the Pats dynasty over in week 4 only to watch them get their act together and run the table?

Bills coaching and schemes will still get them 6-8 wins this season, but New England really needs to get some difference making talent on their offense.  They need 2 WRs, a QB with athleticism, and another TE option (Smith was terrible last year).  The question then becomes, will their defense continue to be strong as they wait for offensive talent?  Barmore looks great, but their secondary is getting worse, and they are relying on young LBs who I dont think are spectacular.

Will be an interesting year for the Patriots

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm fine with the Patriots getting the #1 pick as long as Belichick is choosing the player. 

I am not, there are some great QB prospects this year, dont want the tired old man tio have one more shot at glory for a decade.  Would be happy if the Patriots are pick in the middle of the draft into eternity, like the old 7-9 forever Bills days.

People are making fun of the Pats and of this quote, but Belichick has operated this way for years.

How many Septembers in a row did we see the Pats get off to a slow start and hear all the sports talk shows breathlessly proclaiming "The End of the Patriots Dynasty!!!", only for them to look unbeatable October through December? Feels like it happened just about every year.

Meanwhile, our own beloved GM, Brandon Beane, is on record as saying that you don't really know what your team is until about game 5 or 6 in any given season.

So sure, the "extended preseason" wording may be awkward, but the notion that teams are still tinkering with schemes and personnel and finding their identity for the first month of the season is true, and it's something the Pats have done for years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'd prefer 6-11 honestly just so they don't have a top 5 pick...  Let's keep them in those middling years we had so frequently during the drought for as long as possible.

Someone will trade them such a pick, I have seen it so many times I expect it.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Be careful laughing at Belichick. He has a knack for pulling chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Still expect the Patriots to be our only competition for the division title this year. And the Bills are once again going to have to earn it if they want it (12-14 wins).

There is no reason why the Patriots should not be ready by week one. I think you give Billichick to much credit after a horrible training camp.

Who will the Patrots fans blame after a disappointing start ? It is coaching and he wouldn't even assign a OC. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.