Bills Sign former Titan OT/OG David Quessenberry

MAJBobby

I am sorry to say, but PFF lineman grades are horse pooh. 80 grade with 11 sacks prove it, though Tannehill does like to hold the ball. 

But Quessenberry is a versatile guy who is very long and athletic. I always followed his career because of his fight with cancer. It is a great story of perseverance. Quessenberry is a bit older because of his situation, but his versatility is intriguing. He could be the swing tackle or the 1st interior sub off the bench. He is a hedging your bets kind of player. If there is an injury he can play pretty much anywhere and from all accounts is a great locker room guy. He played a lot of left tackle for the Titans when Lewan was hurt. I would teach him to snap so he could sub at center as well. If he is great at run blocking, but struggles in pass pro, playing in the interior where you get help could certainly hide those deficiencies. Nice signing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So let me see if I have this correct. His PFF was 80 yet he gave up 11 sacks?  I don't trust any analytic anymore. 

PFF grades are completely subjective, a fact they conveniently don’t highlight. Doesn’t even qualify as an analytic.

30 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bates and Brown are solid players with deep potential, Bills are paying Bates starter money. Q is definitely the guy if either regresses.

I more or less agree with this… but if Q comes in and really impresses, I think that a competition could arise during the season.  Especially if/when someone get hurt and has to miss time.  If he can improve his pass pro, you never know what could happen 

-Those thinking Doyle is a better option are dreaming. Maybe in a year or two.  

-have we heard the financials of the deal?

Edited by NewEra

8 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

PFF grades are completely subjective, a fact they conveniently don’t highlight. Doesn’t even qualify as an analytic.

Very few people here take time to actually grade a player on every play but will criticize a PFF grade. Yes they’re subjective, like all grades, but if you don’t have anything to compare to then it’s hard to complain.

I think some grading is very difficult to do without knowing an assignment. OL/DL is probably the easiest to grade but still there are assignments that could put a player in a bad situation.

• Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why are people continuing to beat the bates horse.....

They guy has done NOTHING but play well

Ok but - he had 3 starts last year at LG.  Before that he had 0, with a couple of looks in finale games against the jets and dolphins.  He's now the presumptive starter at RG, with like 0 experience at the position and a RT next to him who struggles at time in pass pro.  He performed better than Boettger and Ford - is that the line we want to draw in the sand?  He's better than bad?  

Did we run the backs THAT much better in the final 3 games of the year?  I think we ran it more... often?  But we weren't particularly effective at it.  

NE - 15 for 51 yards (22nd ranked rush defense)

Atl - 28 for 149 yards (233 total with Allens yards, and this was the 27th ranked rush defense)

NYJ - 24 for 96 yards (29th ranked rush defense)

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Very few people here take time to actually grade a player on every play but will criticize a PFF grade. Yes they’re subjective, like all grades, but if you don’t have anything to compare to then it’s hard to complain.

I think some grading is very difficult to do without knowing an assignment. OL/DL is probably the easiest to grade but still there are assignments that could put a player in a bad situation.

1. not all grades are subjective. Certain grade can be assigned based on measurable qualities.

2. if PFF made readily available the qualifications of their “graders” so we could make a better determination of their expertise, I’d be less inclined to criticize them. As it stands, that info doesn’t appear to be available.

Honestly, seems like the 6th lineman.  Insurance for Saffold, Bates, Brown and is making Doyle earn a roster spot.  Very good pick up imo.  These guys are becoming the standard for other organizations to copy. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

While it's nice to hear he's a good run blocker, in todays NFL that doesn't mean a whole lot when you can't protect the QB.

Kromer coming in, Dorsey taking over, the mentions of needing to run the ball by McBeane over the last year or so, the Oline they are bringing in all seem to be pointing to more emphasis on the run game to me. Seems like we will be running the ball more often and Josh should see his number of carries drop.

57 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Kromer coming in, Dorsey taking over, the mentions of needing to run the ball by McBeane over the last year or so, the Oline they are bringing in all seem to be pointing to more emphasis on the run game to me. Seems like we will be running the ball more often and Josh should see his number of carries drop.

Your right

I also thinks that it points to running back in the draft regardless of motor's improved play at the 3/4 mark of last season.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

2021 OL at end of Season (By Cap Hit)

Dawkins

Morse

Williams

Feliciano

Ford

Brown

Bates

Doyle

Hart

2022 OL right now (By Cap Hit)

Dawkins

Morse 

Saffold

Ford

Bates

Brown

Mancz

Boettger

Hart

Doyle

Capra

Quessenberry (no cap hit in Spotrac yet)

My Projected Starters

LT - Dawkins

LG - Saffold

C - Morse

RG - Bates

RT - Brown

With the rest battling for 3/4 spots.  I think this signing does signal Dueces to Ford now IMO is on the outside looking in going into Camp

I am hoping for a Starting OL to be in place week 1.  Not having to constantly tinker with it until week 10 like previous years.  Get some continuity 

Ford is WAY too high on BOTH of those lists.  This feels like the last camp for Cody in WNY. Can they get anything for him? 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Ford is WAY too high on BOTH of those lists.  This feels like the last camp for Cody in WNY. Can they get anything for him? 

He has a 870K is dead cap (signing bonus)....not at all saying that means he stays but his cap numbers is still small.  So he can make the team assuming he balls out, not holding my breath but its possible I guess.

13 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

He has a 870K is dead cap (signing bonus)....not at all saying that means he stays but his cap numbers is still small.  So he can make the team assuming he balls out, not holding my breath but its possible I guess.

the best possible scenario is that Kromer works his magic with Ford and he actually becomes a NFL player......then being on that low contract is either a great deal for us or a great trade chip for us.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

How do you get a 80 in PFF buit give up 11 sacks

Pfffft, how would I know? 😁

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

He's coming from Tennessee that was one of the more run heavy teams out there. If he gets significant playing time he will be pass blocking more than he ever has.

I'm not doing flips over this signing but at the same time I'm not saying it's going to be a big problem, though I will admit I don't expect much out of him.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Nothing against this guy, but hope he doesn't see the field.

Hopefully Brown and Doyle are better and healthier. 

Still would take an OG/OT hybrid very early in draft.

Unfortunately Quenton Nelson wasn’t available for a 1 year minimum deal 

Good to have competition and depth. Even if Boettger isnt on 53 to start season ,Bills will have decisions to make. Assuming the starters are Dawkins,Saffold,Morse,Bates and  Brown; that likely leaves 4 spots. Already have the following 6 guys in reserve; Mancz,Quessenberry,Hart,Ford,Doyle,Capra.. .did I miss anyone? Now I wonder how early Bills draft an Olineman 

6 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

He's 31 but only played 4 seasons....is that right?  What else did he do?

He beat cancer. Doing that is harder than any NFL game ever. And then to come back from it? Amazing. He doesn't need to answer or justify himself to anyone.

• Like (+1) 9

47 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Is he related??

When I saw the last name, Dan was the first guy I thought of!

He could be a distant relative........different spelling but that happens.......I literally know a family that changed one letter in their last name because one brother didn't get along with the other.

I just hope he is as underhanded as the Quiz.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.