#5 Stephenson

foreboding

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes and no. 6th year since college. According to the stats I saw he was not on a roster or maybe he was injured or on PS with Denver for only 1 game in 2018. 

It’s simple math Ethan. His first year was 2017 + 2018 + 2019 + 2020 + 2021.  That’s not 6 years. Nothing you can say or do about will change that

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Stevenson as a returner has looked tight, nervous and like the game hasn't slowed down for him--not that unusual for a rookie. He could improve a lot with some confidence. 

He might look a little better on punt returns if someone would introduce the concept of a fair catch to him. I honestly can't think of a time he's actually called for one. There's no way he should have tried to return the one he fumbled.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, transient said:

He might look a little better on punt returns if someone would introduce the concept of a fair catch to him. I honestly can't think of a time he's actually called for one. There's no way he should have tried to return the one he fumbled.

That is why they like him imo.  Field everything.  Pick up those extra lost yards.  Overall, get a young guy who missed alot of the year early on some game experience.  I dont hate it.  Also, havent seen as many return flags. Idk maybe he is following the returns better in that area.  If you score a Td buT going to the wrong side and get flagged for holding whos at fault?.

Edited by Mat68

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

McKenzie was doing better than Roberts all season.  I was a big Andre Roberts fan, but I think McKenzie did a fantastic job taking over.  When he got benched, McKenzie was the 3rd best return guy in the entire league.

Andre Roberts: 27.5 yards per kickoff return, 1 TD (#2 overall in NFL)

Isaiah Mckenzie: 24.3 yards per kickoff return, 0 TD

49 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Andre Roberts: 27.5 yards per kickoff return, 1 TD (#2 overall in NFL)

Isaiah Mckenzie: 24.3 yards per kickoff return, 0 TD

Imagine what McKenzie's average would be if Andre Smith didn't get a penalty on almost every return in the first 2/3 of the season. It would have been comical if it were for any other team.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fumble is definitely concerning 

Maybe Hyde should be back there

But it's funny cuz if you just used statistics Stevenson is averaging more yards per punt return than Mckenzie

Hyde was back there for one return when they kicked from midfield, ball went into end zone

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

You have to wonder having gone to the University of Houston, how much cold weather experience does he have back there? Anyone know? 

Temple Navy and Cinci only possible AAC Conference games in cold weather

7 hours ago, foreboding said:

I really hope they put someone else back there. Besides the brutal fumble, the guy runs headlong into his blockers almost every return. Maybe time to reinstall lil' Dirty?

Falcons defender made a really nice tackle with his helmet right on the ball…the McKenzie muff was far worse so I could see why Stevenson got the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One freak fumble?

McKenzie became available to the Bills on the waiver wire because he fumbled an astonishing 6 times on 24 return opportunities with Denver.

One of the all-time worst seasons by a returner ever.

He's also put the ball on the ground 3 times this year. 1 fumble, 2 muffs.

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Falcons defender made a really nice tackle with his helmet right on the ball…the McKenzie muff was far worse so I could see why Stevenson got the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

Agree.  It was mentioned up thread about his decisions on fair catches.  He needs to improve on that but that comes with reps and coaching.

If he has a good week of practice, he should get another shot in the Jets game.  He seems aggressive/fearless and you can't teach that.

Just a general note.  It's a good thing a lot of these posters were not around Andre Roberts his first few years.  He wasn't an "All Pro" right

out of the blocks.  In fact, he lost his returner duties on both of his first 2 teams.

9 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

Me and @Sheneneh Jenkins were texting about this during the game. Dude has never been tackled by a different colored jersey. The thought of him handling returns in the playoffs scares the hell out of me.

Zero patience or concentration- then whack, right into his teammate. Everytime he is back there I cringe.

9 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

McKenzie lost the punt return job his 1st year in Buffalo……16 returns with 2 fumbles…..he had 8 fumbles his rookie year in Denver. McKenzie doesn’t pass the eye test either on punt returns. If you want a punt catcher then put Hyde back there, but let’s not act like McKenzie puts everyone at ease when he’s back returning punts either.

Agree, I’m way more terrified of McKenzie muffing a punt then Stevenson. You can visibly see McKenzie freaking out back there returning punts, his mind is spinning and has no clue whether to fair catch it, let it go or try for a return. And you can tell by his reaction after every punt, it’s usually him pissed off cause he should have done the opposite of what he chose to do

12 hours ago, foreboding said:

I really hope they put someone else back there. Besides the brutal fumble, the guy runs headlong into his blockers almost every return. Maybe time to reinstall lil' Dirty?

Stephensons shaky, no idea why they leave him back there. 

On the fumble he turned away from the hit and exposed the football to it. Ball security is A1 attribute and is all that matters to me when fielding punts (especially

outdoors this time of year)

Put whoever's best at safely catching the ball and making good decisions back there. Give the offense the ball and let them score points.

• Agree 1

On 1/3/2022 at 12:54 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

McKenzie has been in the league for 6 years.  So your first point doesn't make any sense. 

Of course I don't think Allen should be benched. My point is it is stupid to bench a RB or a KR for a muff or a fumble to send a message, just as you wouldn't bench Allen to send a message.  If they are the most qualified to do the job let them do it. 

McKenzie muffed a punt in the Dolphins game and then fumbled in the Colts game.  It’s also worth noting that he had fumbling issues in Denver, which is a big part of why they let him walk.  He didn’t get benched after the Dolphins one, but I would think that he heard about it.  McDermott definitely benched him (made him inactive) right after the next fumble.  To me that looks like McDermott was holding a player accountable for his play on the field.  Seems like McKenzie got the message too.  At least in the short term. 

As for the Allen comparison that YOU made, my point is simple.  You were making an illogical leap to try to win an argument.  My point was that the two players are obviously not comparable, but that you felt you had to make it seem like they were to try to win the argument.  That was ridiculous and points to how wrong you are.  I’ll leave this there.  

On 1/3/2022 at 9:35 AM, Dan Darragh said:

How did the Bills let Andre Roberts go from Houston to LAC? Did we put in a waiver claim?

At the time he was released on October 18th, he wasn't on waivers.  There were no waivers for vets until 11/2/21.  

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2021/8/30/22648201/nfl-waiver-wire-rules-2021-which-team-has-top-priority-claims-order

Who goes through waivers?

Players with less than four years of accrued service time are subject to waivers. A player with at least four years of accrued service time, referred to as a “vested veteran” immediately becomes a free agent and is eligible to sign with any other team.

Is this the same all season?

No. After the trade deadline passes on November 2, vested veterans will have to go through waivers if released.

When we drafted Stevenson, I watched his college highlights and he looked electric and was pretty excited about him. But man he just looks straight up bad out there, as soon as he touches the ball you can tell the play is going to die shortly. 

It’s different but Bass didn’t look great out of the gate and had some jitters early on, lots of people were calling for his head but be turned it around. Luckily that was at the start of the year and he finished great. This returner situation is pretty bad going into the playoffs, hard to trust him or McKenzie but here we are. 

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hyde needs to step up and start fielding these freaking punts if they are gonna but him back there. 

Agreed.

I have no idea WTF we are doing on returns right now headed into the playoffs? Field position is so important moving forward and we cannot expect to win with what we seen against the Jets. Label me "Concerned as hell" between Punt returns and Punting the ball at this phase.

Does anyone know if this was brought up to McD in post game interviews?

Edited by Real McNasty

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Hyde needs to step up and start fielding these freaking punts if they are gonna but him back there. 

Amen.  We let a couple of first downs slip away because he wasn’t catching the ball.  All he has to do is catch it.  I appreciate that the wind was a mess last night.  But this can’t keep happening.  

16 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

McKenzie with a muffed punt……wonder if the OP has more confidence with McKenzie back there instead of Stevenson?

Did he muff that one?  I was at the game and his body was between me and the ball.  Every single return is an adventure with these guys now. 

52 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Agreed.

I have no idea WTF we are doing on returns right now headed into the playoffs? Field position is so important moving forward and we cannot expect to win with what we seen against the Jets. Label me "Concerned as hell" between Punt returns and Punting the ball at this phase.

Does anyone know if this was brought up to McD in post game interviews?

If this has to be brought up to McD in press conferences then we have the wrong head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.