Will lack of Tough Games hurt the Bills?

PatsFanNH

Honest question for football fans.  Do you think the fact the Bills may only face 3 quality teams all year,(Yes I am considering my Pats a non quality team)  something that could hurt them come playoff time? 

What I mean is since they are facing teams they should steamroll will they be ready to win a dog fight in the playoffs against teams like Baltimore, Cinci, TN. Etc.  Yes we all expected the KC game be a statement game but in all honesty they are not playing well at all and probably fail make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Honest question for football fans.  Do you think the fact the Bills may only face 3 quality teams all year,(Yes I am considering my Pats a non quality team)  something that could hurt them come playoff time? 

What I mean is since they are facing teams they should steamroll will they be ready to win a dog fight in the playoffs against teams like Baltimore, Cinci, TN. Etc.  Yes we all expected the KC game be a statement game but in all honesty they are not playing well at all and probably fail make the playoffs.

They look like they lack tough because we dominated them.  

WFT team almost upset the Chargers, Jets beat Titans and the Pats hung tight with the Cowboys.

We were a Josh Allen slip from beating the Titans.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

We were boatracing teams at the end of last year in the regular season. Then were still able to grind out two real tough games in the playoffs against the Colts and Ravens. I'm not concerned. The number of games in the 5 years of McDermott where this team has just not been ready to compete for 60 minutes is less than 1 a year. 

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Did it hurt the Pats all those years that the East was a doormat for them with 8 guaranteed wins to start? :w00t:

Would be 6 guaranteed wins during the Brady era (colts moved to South in 2002) but still your point is spot on!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Here we go with the, "well, they beat KC .. BUT ... blah, blah, blah," crap.

Stifle it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wins give you confidence.  Enough wins get you a playoff spot with homefield advantage.  So 'easy' wins are good wins. 

Consider the easier games preseason games if you like.   You're still working on execution all season long.  Regardless of the schedule, a team should be playing at a high level by the time it reaches the postseason - as long as it stays healthy.  

A few tough games on the schedule (and the Bills do have a few) may help prepare a team for what they'll face in the playoffs.  But you don't need more than a few.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

Huh? There are no ‘easy’ games in the NFL. This isn’t Alabama playing some Division 2 school! Sure, some teams are better than others but given the way the NFL schedule is constructed and weighted nobody really plays that much easier of a schedule than anyone else. The biggest unknown may actually be injuries, not opponent. You never know until game day if some opponent that looked tough on paper has their typical starters on the field. That’ll play out even more so with 17 games. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Yes, if this were college football and they needed votes. 

But really, no. They still face KC, TEN, TB, PIT, IND, NO, & CAR. Maybe not elite QBs, but enough of a measuring stick. 

I also was going to make the comparison to college. Ohio state is going to face a huge jump in talent IMO if they make the playoff based on what they are getting week to week in the big ten so far. But in the nfl, all these guys are at the top of their profession. Clearly some teams are better than others but the pats rolled through the AFCE for two decades and won 7 SBs or whatever it was. So, no. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Huh? There are no ‘easy’ games in the NFL. This isn’t Alabama playing some Division 2 school! Sure, some teams are better than others but given the way the NFL schedule is constructed and weighted nobody really plays that much easier of a schedule than anyone else. The biggest unknown may actually be injuries, not opponent. You never know until game day if some opponent that looked tough on paper has their typical starters on the field. That’ll play out even more so with 17 games. 

I get what you're saying but...   In the NFL scheme of things, you've got to admit that the Bills have a comparatively easy schedule coming up.  The Fins, Jags, and Jets have 1 win each.  

There are players on other teams who wish they were looking ahead at something like that.  

I’ve thought about this.  I really don’t think it will have any effect.  It probably will have an effect on the different media Power Rankings and us fans will have to deal with “BuT THe BiLlS HaVeN’T BeATen AnYONE” narrative.  

If they are a good team…they are a good team.  Period 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying but...   In the NFL scheme of things, you've got to admit that the Bills have a comparatively easy schedule coming up.  The Fins, Jags, and Jets have 1 win each.  

There are players on other teams who wish they were looking ahead at something like that.  

Of course…but so do other teams have easier stretches…at least on paper. The NFL isn’t the NBA or MLB where there are SO MANY games. From week to week you don’t really know the strength of each team. They simply don’t play that many games and unless you really dig into the schedule of each opponent you don’t even really know who they’re played to date.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

WFT team almost upset the Chargers, Jets beat Titans and the Pats hung tight with the Cowboys.

I think we are an OL upgrade away from beating the Titans.  Slip or not, no way Allen gets the first down, IMO.  OG Norwell to Buffalo! 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

A slip and Dawkins getting pancaked

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’ve thought about this.  I really don’t think it will have any effect.  It probably will have an effect on the different media Power Rankings and us fans will have to deal with “BuT THe BiLlS HaVeN’T BeATen AnYONE” narrative.  

If they are a good team…they are a good team.  Period 

For me, the haven't beaten anybody thing applies when the team wins like 13-7.  Not 35-0 etc.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

At this point I would say yes if anything because the Bills have not beat anybody yet since we know now in hindsight KC just isn't very good this year and likely on their way to a non playoff/possible sub .500 type season.

And even though some fans keep making statements like we'd beat Pitt/Ten 9 times out 10 if we played them both again, the reality is we lost to them and at the moment Tenn looks like a real powerhouse and contender. If Pitt wins against the Browns this week they will also be above .500

I think we'll certainly have a few more big tests left including the obvious showdown with Brady in TB. I also think both games against the Pats will be tough. And it's very possible the Colts are getting hot right now and could be riding a win streak and be 6-4 heading into Buffalo assuming they can beat the Titans at home next week.

At the end of the day this Bills teams needs to prove they can win games against quality competition and not just beat up on bottom feeders.

This thread Smells like a pats fan boy clutching at straws to stay afloat…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

People are underestimating the Pats. Those will be 2 potentially tough games. Never write off Belichick.

agree 100%. Matt Judon is a problem. Especially with the mongoloids we have playing on our offensive line, particularly in the middle. He's going to eat felicianos face for lunch. 

Their offense is efficient at worst. Took Tompa Bay to the wire...  Those two games will probably be a split if were being honest. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

no. I think the pats proved getting a top seed against soft opponents is much more important than a crushing schedule 

A positive aspect of possibly having some big or blowout wins against some of the weaker teams is that it may give our depth players some more playing time/action, which could actually help at the end of the season if we sustain any injuries or those players are called on at some point in a critical moment. Our depth may have more confidence and be more battle tested come playoff time.

And I'm not too worried about the starters being battle-tested. Most of the team is the same as last year and they went through a lot of battles together last year, plus the Pitt, KC, and Tenn games this year were battles. Even if KC isn't what they were, that was a huge mental hurdle for this team. The two losses will keep the team humble and hungry (not buying into their own hype, not being over confident), while the big wins over weaker opponents will give them their swagger. Plus, the Tampa game will be a big pre-postseason test/measuring stick. They'll know who they are and what they need to do heading into the playoffs.

So, no, I'm not really worried about it...especially with the coaching staff that we have (McD will keep them on track).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.