Which realistic trade options should the Bills target?

JohnNord

Very good write up from NYUP’s Ryan Talbot.  He shares some potential trade targets for the Bills:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/10/nfl-trade-deadline-2021-miles-sanders-andrew-norwell-among-10-buffalo-bills-trade-targets.html?fbclid=IwAR2GnjaeX7mcz0IBjinmNlMOrse9sPeEPmeGxDlUF2vmwXwvBofrgDHCTLU

Most fans don’t want hear this but I feel there is a very small chance they’ll trade for a player on the defensive line or at running back.  

While you certainly can make an argument that they need a better pash rusher, I think that the Bills are confident in what they already have at DL.

I also think that the issues in the running game is more related to poor line play than actual talent at RB.  

That leaves three areas where I think they could make a move - OL, TE, and CB.

Evan Engram is a name that has come up a few times in reports.  However if you believe the reports the Bills don’t feel the injury will be too serious, then does it make sense to bring in another receiving TE like Edwards who’s not know for his blocking to take snaps away from Knox?  In my opinion, I think Hayden Hurst might be a more realistic target.  

I think Guard play is a major weakness on the team and I would love it if the Bills traded for Andrew Norwell.  Again, not so sure how realistic this would be. 

Finally I would welcome the addition of a CB like Kyle Fuller.  I think the Bills are always looking to upgrade the secondary.  

agree the article provides some interesting and relevant roster upgrades; so in addition to parting with draft capital and fitting a serviceable vet under a tight salary cap, the Bills also would have to cut or trade an active roster player, such as...Harrison Phillips ?  

here is another move pending - Marquez Stevenson is still on IR, minor foot injury since early Sept  ? do they stash him all season, or only activate if a WR goes down ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly, I have been good with our RB's this whole time...however, I think Miles Sanders would flourish here.  I wont be upset if we didn't as I do like our RB's, but Miles Sanders is the most wasted talent in the NFL IMO.  Its mind boggling why they dont use him more.  I would be excited to add him to this roster, say send Devin and a pick or something.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I didn't have time to read the article just yet but IMO the Bills, if they are going to spend resources, should be spending them on the O line.  I am fine with the defense.  There aren't too many teams that are going to do what Tennessee did to them in the second half.  I also think they will have a better plan next time around.  

On the flip side, I think a lot of Josh problems this year, not that there are many, is the O line is utter garbage.  Josh makes it look better than it is but he is obviously feeling the heat and it leads to maybe some misses.  A better O line also gets that 4th and 1 and our run game going.  Sure, our RBs aren't the greatest but there are no names all around the league that do a good job because their line is good.  Our RBs are not as bad as they look IMO.

I don't think Beane is going to make any moves though.

Edited by Scott7975

I would love to plug Norwell in at LG and let Feliciano be the backup c and g. Try and trade Ford or Boettger (preferably Ford) for late rd picks.  

I really wanted an upgrade @ CB2 but can’t see us trading for a CB.  Levi and Dane have been fine so far (although Levi was taking some bad angles in the Titans game). Cam and Neal have shown they can play.  

The better the OL, the better the QB, RB and WR.  Get Feliciano out of there.  He (along with dawkins) were embarrassed on the 4th and 1 fail

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm not sure a trade is in the cards for the Bills, but for my money the biggest weakness on this team is Interior OL.

Ford stinks and has been sent to the bench

Daryl Williams is the only G who's at least avg. & he was just moved there, which tells you more about the lack of good Gs on this roster

Feliciano is below avg, or at best replacement level

Ike Boettger is not very good.

So we have 1 avg starter, 1 below avg starter, and 2 bad backups.....Bills would be in a huge bind if Daryl Williams got nicked up.

If Beane were to look to upgrade the roster I'd hope it'd be for a above avg to good G, especially one that excels as a pass blocker, which is obviously much more important to the Bills

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Not sure the Bills make any moves absent of injuries. I think Guard is a place where I would like to see some help but good Oline play is not usually available and I don’t see any low cost quality players being made available on the market. Also D Williams is playing well there and Mongo is a starting caliber player there so you need to have a quality acquisition to make an impact.

CB 2 is mentioned but I think Levi is turning in his best season so any acquisitions there would be purely for depth in my opinion and I am not sure the organization views there being a need for depth there.

So in the end I think barring a long term injury I think the Bills roll with what they have. I just don’t see the market and needs of the team lining up.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, I have been good with our RB's this whole time...however, I think Miles Sanders would flourish here.  I wont be upset if we didn't as I do like our RB's, but Miles Sanders is the most wasted talent in the NFL IMO.  Its mind boggling why they dont use him more.  I would be excited to add him to this roster, say send Devin and a pick or something.  

Took the words out of my mouth.

Nick Sirianni is an idiot.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Estro said:

I'm not sure a trade is in the cards for the Bills, but for my money the biggest weakness on this team is Interior OL.

Ford stinks and has been sent to the bench

Daryl Williams is the only G who's at least avg. & he was just moved there, which tells you more about the lack of good Gs on this roster

Feliciano is below avg, or at best replacement level

Ike Boettger is not very good.

So we have 1 avg starter, 1 below avg starter, and 2 bad backups.....Bills would be in a huge bind if Daryl Williams got nicked up.

If Beane were to look to upgrade the roster I'd hope it'd be for a above avg to good G, especially one that excels as a pass blocker, which is obviously much more important to the Bills

The Bills have positions that they aren't exceptional at..........but LG might be the only position where they are often incompetent.

As already discussed in other threads regarding possibly acquiring Andrew Norwell..........if I am the Bills opposition I am working to get my best pass rusher on the Bills LG.   

It stands out as a weakness in much the same way as it once did years ago with Colin Brown.

Mitch Morse isn't very good and Dawkins has been inconsistent returning from covid........so it's proving difficult to cover for bad left guard play.

I thought they had fixed the spot to some extent with the signing of Forrest Lamp........and Cody Ford turning out to be utterly useless has really hurt he just needed to be decent.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
phrasing
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure the Bills make any moves absent of injuries. I think Guard is a place where I would like to see some help but good Oline play is not usually available and I don’t see any low cost quality players being made available on the market. Also D Williams is playing well there and Mongo is a starting caliber player there so you need to have a quality acquisition to make an impact.

CB 2 is mentioned but I think Levi is turning in his best season so any acquisitions there would be purely for depth in my opinion and I am not sure the organization views there being a need for depth there.

So in the end I think barring a long term injury I think the Bills roll with what they have. I just don’t see the market and needs of the team lining up.

yep, no one is letting a quality o lineman get away at this point... they will be going with what they have IMO

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Very good write up from NYUP’s Ryan Talbot.  He shares some potential trade targets for the Bills:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/10/nfl-trade-deadline-2021-miles-sanders-andrew-norwell-among-10-buffalo-bills-trade-targets.html?fbclid=IwAR2GnjaeX7mcz0IBjinmNlMOrse9sPeEPmeGxDlUF2vmwXwvBofrgDHCTLU

Most fans don’t want hear this but I feel there is a very small chance they’ll trade for a player on the defensive line or at running back.  

While you certainly can make an argument that they need a better pash rusher, I think that the Bills are confident in what they already have at DL.

I also think that the issues in the running game is more related to poor line play than actual talent at RB.  

That leaves three areas where I think they could make a move - OL, TE, and CB.

Evan Engram is a name that has come up a few times in reports.  However if you believe the reports the Bills don’t feel the injury will be too serious, then does it make sense to bring in another receiving TE like Edwards who’s not know for his blocking to take snaps away from Knox?  In my opinion, I think Hayden Hurst might be a more realistic target.  

I think Guard play is a major weakness on the team and I would love it if the Bills traded for Andrew Norwell.  Again, not so sure how realistic this would be. 

Finally I would welcome the addition of a CB like Kyle Fuller.  I think the Bills are always looking to upgrade the secondary.  

Yes, TE, CB, And OL are the three places I would be very interested to hear what the prices are for various players becoming available. I'm not positive but I think Levi Wallace had an awful game vs. Tennessee. I think we were unfair to Feliciano moving him to the left but on the plus side he still may get much better there with more reps. Not sure how Daryl is doing there. While I think the Bills like Sweeney, getting Josh a full-size target that could block is always interesting. Not sure if I want a receiver only at TE. The reason Dawson plays so much is because he can block and catch.

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

That leaves three areas where I think they could make a move - OL, TE, and CB

I think we can hold on at TE position until Knox return by using Davis/Sweeney. I’d like to add RB, OL, CB. Norwell would probably be the most difficult to acquire, but it seems that Fuller and Sanders have worn out their welcome on their respective teams 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills have positions that they aren't exceptional at..........but LG might be the only position where they are often incompetent.

As already discussed in other threads regarding possibly acquiring Andrew Norwell..........if I am the Bills opposition I am working to get my best pass rusher on the Bills LG.   

It stands out as a weakness in much the same way as it once did years ago with Colin Brown.

Mitch Morse isn't very good and Dawkins has been inconsistent returning from covid........so it's proving difficult to cover for bad left guard play.

I thought they had fixed the spot to some extent with the signing of Forrest Lamp........and Cody Ford turning out to be utterly useless has really hurt he just needed to be decent.

What boggles my mind (a bit) is that last year, I thought they got acceptable LG play from Ike Boettger.

Now possibly he was seeing better play from Dawkins last season that "covered up" his deficiencies

But I thought he played decently in the game he started against Houston...where the Bills rushed for 199 yds and 2 TDs, 148 from backs

So I wonder what they're seeing or not seeing from him that they don't take a look - unless Dawkins mentals are still not right from Covid, and Feliciano is helping him process or something?

I think the Bills notion was that they could do without an upgrade at guard because Ford and Feliciano would have resurgences at guard with a full off season to train, then Forrest Lamp would provide a backup plan.  Unfortunately it looks as though neither Plan A nor Plan B worked out

So could Boettger/Bates provide Plan C, or could the Bills make a move?

IMHO while I'd love to see the Bills pull the trigger and trade for Norwell...I don't see the motivation of a team like Jax with a new QB to add to his woes by downgrading their line.

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’d cut Brieda in that scenario if we acquired Patterson. Kumerow would become inactive on game days. 

OK, Not Sarcasm then.

I could see cutting Brieda

Kumerow is taking 65% of the ST snaps and seems to be one of the reasons they felt comfortable moving on from Bam Johnson, I don't see him becoming inactive in favor of Patterson.

The Bills aren't scoring 30+ points per game because the o-line is total garbage.  Granted there are blown assignments but in many instances there are other factors.  Allen continues to hold the ball too long when there are open receivers on shorter routes.  Predictable play calls based on personnel in the game, formations, down and distance, and the OC's strong biases.  All of these things help opposing defenses and contribute to struggles along the o-line.  Moving the pocket, draws and screens can keep a defense off balance.  I'm slightly concerned about LG but not to a degree that I expect Beane to do anything crazy to acquire a player that may not provide a real improvement.

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

yep, no one is letting a quality o lineman get away at this point... they will be going with what they have IMO

I have seen Norwell as a big wish for the fans. While I think he would help the O-line and his team would likely listen to an offer since their season is on life support and might be irrelevant by the trade deadline I don't see a feasible way to get a 15 million dollar cap hit fitting in with the Bills' meager cap space. I don't see any other guard out on the market that is both affordable, would make an impact, and is on a team that would consider trading them. 

Miles Sanders is another name that is more reasonable cap-wise and his team is also on life support, but I don't see him as being a difference-maker. Our RB tandem is producing good results and Sanders isn't a dynamic player that much better than what the team has. I don't see the team giving up a decent pick to get slightly better at RB. 

I just don't see any fits out on the market right now. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, NewEra said:

I would love to plug Norwell in at LG and let Feliciano be the backup c and g. Try and trade Ford or Boettger (preferably Ford) for late rd picks.  

I really wanted an upgrade @ CB2 but can’t see us trading for a CB.  Levi and Dane have been fine so far (although Levi was taking some bad angles in the Titans game). Cam and Neal have shown they can play.  

The better the OL, the better the QB, RB and WR.  Get Feliciano out of there.  He (along with dawkins) were embarrassed on the 4th and 1 fail

Norwell's way too expensive. I'd love to get him if he wasn't.

The problem is very little money, this year and next year as well. We're decent everywhere. For an upgrade we'd need someone actually good, and they're generally either highly compensated or greatly valued for being a bargain.

I don't see any major moves.

Guard and CB if we do, but I just don't see it.

We've got a good line, but a couple of guys in the interior are only decent. It'd be lovely to upgrade that. But there's tremendous demand and not a lot of supply for good OLs. I saw Cover1 point out the other day that Bobby Hart was just signed off our practice squad by Tennessee. That tells you the relationship between OL supply and OL demand right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Norwell's way too expensive. I'd love to get him if he wasn't.

The problem is very little money, this year and next year as well. We're decent everywhere. For an upgrade we'd need someone actually good, and they're generally either highly compensated or greatly valued for being a bargain.

I don't see any major moves.

Guard and CB if we do, but I just don't see it.

Feliciano continues to show us how bad he can be.  His bad, is exponentially bad.  Did you watch him on the 4th and 1 fail?  Embarrassing.  The entire left side of our line was laying on their backs on the biggest play of the year.  

Norwell may be too expensive.  I didn’t look into his contract next season until now.  I thought he was a free agent.  Next year cap hit may be too much, but this years cap hit is manageable.  7M cap hit.  We’re 4.27M under atm.  It’s easy to manipulate the cap to free up that money.  1M a year for a few years down the road is chump change. 

whether or not it happens, I agree, I don’t see it happening.  That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t make it happen.  Feliciano is like a roller coast.  He goes from terrible to decent back to terrible in a matter of plays.  The inconsistency is maddening and I don’t trust him.  Just imagine what Chris Jones would’ve put on tape against him if he played in week 5

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Colin Brown. Wow— that’s a name I don’t care to remember. 

Imo this is the year to maybe get out of the "stay the course/chemistry" thing and make a strong/bold move. They can move some money around now or in the offseason if need be. Strengthen the lines!!! Or one of em at least lol

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Get Norwell!  He will protect Josh and open up running lanes.  Lets reinforce our trenches for our Superbowl run!

Right on! I'd rather hurt someone's feelings, than our quarterback.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.