Which realistic trade options should the Bills target?

JohnNord

53 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Norwell's way too expensive. I'd love to get him if he wasn't.

The problem is very little money, this year and next year as well. We're decent everywhere. For an upgrade we'd need someone actually good, and they're generally either highly compensated or greatly valued for being a bargain.

I don't see any major moves.

Guard and CB if we do, but I just don't see it.

We've got a good line, but a couple of guys in the interior are only decent. It'd be lovely to upgrade that. But there's tremendous demand and not a lot of supply for good OLs. I saw Cover1 point out the other day that Bobby Hart was just signed off our practice squad by Tennessee. That tells you the relationship between OL supply and OL demand right now.

Im not seeing the worry for next year, cap wise.  If we can get someone in under the cap this year with whatever cap magic is needed, next year, the following can come off the books with minimal cap hits:

Hughes

Addison

Morse

Star

Butler

The way Star is playing, I’d keep him, but the other 4 we can absolutely move off from.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Colin Brown. Wow— that’s a name I don’t care to remember. 

Yeah and Feliciano is nowhere near as bad as Colin Brown was..........but this Bills offense works best when Allen has a lot of time to throw the football.

So the standard for quality at the guard position has to be at least "solid" for them to play offense like they want to.    Feliciano has been less than that.

We have people on this site who put the blame for some of the stalled drives on Allen not taking hand-picked check down throws............but that is exactly what defenses want the Bills to do in 2021......check it down.......run a lot of plays.......and give them an opportunity to create a negative play or a turnover or for the Bills to get penalized.  

This strategy works less efficiently when the offense is playing 4 down football.........as an article about 2 minute offense that @dave mcbride linked recently illustrated.......but in 3 down offense this is the way to defend an explosive passing game like Buffalo.

The old axiom about 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad...............well now that could be 4 things can happen when you play dink and dunk football and 3 of them are bad.   

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be clear, there are currently zero names and zero trades the Bills are actually linked to correct?  Or did I miss something?

To be clear, almost all of Beane's trades happened without any notice/connection whatsoever.........let alone what you might consider "actually" being linked.

Were the Bills connected to Stefon Diggs in the media?  No, total stunner.

Kelvin Benjamin?  Not at all.

The Watkins and Darby deals happened completely out of nowhere.

If Beane is going to make a trade why would you expect notice?

Most needed:  OG Norwell.  I’d consider moving Ford and an early pick.  The DL is nkt elite but servicable.  The OL is below average, IMo.  

Other options:  RB Sanders would provide a 3 down back, but price may be too high and his numbers look average this season.  

RB Barkley.  Elite RB but soo injury prone. 

57 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not seeing the worry for next year, cap wise.  If we can get someone in under the cap this year with whatever cap magic is needed, next year, the following can come off the books with minimal cap hits:

Hughes

Addison

Morse

Star

Butler

The way Star is playing, I’d keep him, but the other 4 we can absolutely move off from.  

we need a star replacement anyway via draft or fa.  

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

To be clear, almost all of Beane's trades happened without any notice/connection whatsoever.........let alone what you might consider "actually" being linked.

You took my post completely wrong.  I was asking for clarity.

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You took my post completely wrong.  I was asking for clarity.

I don't think so.......being forewarned of trade targets.......and then trades subsequently happening.......has not happened at all under Beane so my point was why was that clarity of any import to the discussion?    The players involved in Beane's trades have all been surprises.......not trades they were connected to by anyone.

But when Beane has made trades,  it has been to address needs.    He dealt Watkins and Darby to get draft pick ammunition they felt they needed to get one of the QB prospects in the 2018 draft.    He has dealt for WR's four times now because the team was in desperate need for WR help in each instance.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Usually a heads up happens links to and so on as a player’s agent is trying to move the deal along.  Of course always linked anonymously.

Badol, I don’t disagree Allen is doing a great job going downfield.  I think some were a little frustrated on that second to last drive where Allen could’ve kept things moving.  I still see him as a developing QB and he is not going to know what Brady or Rodgers knows and feels in a game.  The upside is he gets to rely on one of the most athletic raw ability I’ve ever seen in a QB.  He certainly is something special and I shutter to think what he will look like on four more years.  The Bills are in for a lot of success with his health.

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Usually a heads up happens links to and so on as a player’s agent is trying to move the deal along.  Of course always linked anonymously.

Badol, I don’t disagree Allen is doing a great job going downfield.  I think some were a little frustrated on that second to last drive where Allen could’ve kept things moving.  I still see him as a developing QB and he is not going to know what Brady or Rodgers knows and feels in a game.  The upside is he gets to rely on one of the most athletic raw ability I’ve ever seen in a QB.  He certainly is something special and I shutter to think what he will look like on four more years.  The Bills are in for a lot of success with his health.

No, with the McBeane Bills there has been no notice of the impending trade or the principals involved.   Surprising, but true.

And my point with people complaining about Allen not taking the check down is that most of the big plays he's made this year could have been checked down and those drive might have stalled instead.     They aren't as efficient at the short passing game this year as they were last year.........but they are more productive.

I'm not worrying about 4 years from now.    I'm sure Aaron Rodgers has been a better, or at least smarter, QB in the last decade than he was when he won the SB in the 2010 season.   But he hasn't been back.   Regardless of Allen getting better,   he may never have a better team or situation to win a Super Bowl than this season.   

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like the Bills to look at Fletcher Cox as a 3 Tech. I know that comes at the expense of Ed Oliver but Fletcher Cox can get to the quarterback and he'd bring gravitas to the Bills. I think he'd play a big role in the playoffs. Just have him hunt. 

It's a moonshot but if they had to do one, that'd be the one I'd pick. 

On 10/23/2021 at 1:45 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Sanders would be realistic if the bills wanted to do it. I just don’t expect them to actually do it 

I think they will.  Singletary and a 5th or something.  We need some explosiveness in run game and sanders is just that. 

I see a player or two who might fit, and improve, the Bills, depending on the cost. While I don't expect a trade, I by no means discount one. I trust Beane to make a good decision. At this point, don't you almost have to?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To be clear, there are currently zero names and zero trades the Bills are actually linked to correct?  Or did I miss something?

There are zero names though some have reported the Bills were monitoring the CB trade market.  I believe it was Ian Rappaport 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.