The signs of even better things to come from Josh Allen

jwhit34

I preface this by stating that this is only preseason, and I don't put much stock in things that happen in preseason games. Think of the endless string of RBs or WRs who have become TBD favorites over the years that never make it in the league.

That said, here are 4 things that I saw from Josh Allen in the game today that indicate to me that he has a good chance of being even better this year:

1. Taking what he's given: Allen showed great patience and took what was given to him in all the drives.

2. Understanding the situation: I thought he showed great maturity in grasping that this is a preseason game, he has to get his work in but he wasn't going to take unnecessary chances that would have been an injury risk. A big assist from Brian Daboll for the play calling that got the work in for the starters but put Allen at minimal injury risk.

3. Decision making and competitiveness: This is almost a merging of 1 and 2 as shown by the run on 4th down. It was only preseason, but the competitive juices kicked in and he runs for a first down. However, smart move getting out of bounds after picking it up. 

4. The Gabe Davis TD... showed that Allen cranks it up and delivers when they need a big play. 3rd and 20 and he's going for it and throws an absolute dart 35 yards downfield. 

And just overall his poise, command and control when he's on the field. It's so great to watch. I think this was the public display akin to what all the beat writers have been talking about what they see at practice. 

Let the real games begin...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The pass to Beasley on the 1st and 15 was an incredible pass.  (Where he is running towards his left and then throws a perfect pass, across his body, towards the right.)

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

Josh continues to improve, and I honestly don't know where his ceiling is.  He's just a joy to watch play the game.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

The pass to Beasley on the 1st and 15 was an incredible pass.  I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

Josh continues to improve, and I honestly don't know where his ceiling is.  He's just a joy to watch play the game.

That pass is, I mean what's a defense even supposed to do about that?

Also the short little dump offs he did when under pressure were nice to see too.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

I preface this by stating that this is only preseason, and I don't put much stock in things that happen in preseason games. Think of the endless string of RBs or WRs who have become TBD favorites over the years that never make it in the league.

That said, here are 4 things that I saw from Josh Allen in the game today that indicate to me that he has a good chance of being even better this year:

1. Taking what he's given: Allen showed great patience and took what was given to him in all the drives.

2. Understanding the situation: I thought he showed great maturity in grasping that this is a preseason game, he has to get his work in but he wasn't going to take unnecessary chances that would have been an injury risk. A big assist from Brian Daboll for the play calling that got the work in for the starters but put Allen at minimal injury risk.

3. Decision making and competitiveness: This is almost a merging of 1 and 2 as shown by the run on 4th down. It was only preseason, but the competitive juices kicked in and he runs for a first down. However, smart move getting out of bounds after picking it up. 

4. The Gabe Davis TD... showed that Allen cranks it up and delivers when they need a big play. 3rd and 20 and he's going for it and throws an absolute dart 35 yards downfield. 

And just overall his poise, command and control when he's on the field. It's so great to watch. I think this was the public display akin to what all the beat writers have been talking about what they see at practice. 

Let the real games begin...

Allen also repeatedly beat bogus holding calls vs. Bills. These are Drive Enders for most offenses. Allen sees them as a nuisance that highly irritates him....

He is going to better. I know he's excellent already, but he is only entering season #4, so he should and improve. He will improve. He will also improve as the team around him improves. Ford is a good run blocker and that's going to help. Singletary seems committed to excellence and the work they have done this season ffseason practicing the run game. . Davis is no longer a rookie. Moss is no longer a rookie. Sanders is a huge add replacing an injured John Brown. The offense is being held together for another year. This helps tremendously. They really are only entering year three (at tops) so there is still a lot to learn together. The playbook is getting huge and they can refer to their history now. This is big too. We're deeper at WR. With Kumerow (and Sanders) being adapted to the offense fully now. And many useful WRs on the PS ready to call up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Could Tribusky play much more than most are thinking?

Could heplay a lot in mop up roles this year?

Go up by 21 and put Tribusky in?

Put Allen safely on the bench and into the capable hands of Tribusky?

Get Diggs and Sanders out too?

As much as I like Tribusky (and think that he could do this) he s no Allen our clear MVP.

Im saying we'd still be pretty good and would be safe this way.

Maybe run more out from under center. But still throw if the D plays the run.

We play a lot of teams I think we might go up big on early.

Or!

What is your price to trade Tribusky? Say Mitch is good with it.....

Mine is a second and fourth rounder. That is enough to make us a player in the 2022 draft.

We could finish this team and get another blue chipper.

I'd love that in a trade.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Was nice to see his chemistry with Sanders on full display. Their short yardage connections were money. With Diggs and Davis out wide Sanders and Beasley will feast underneath. If we get anything out of Knox and Hollister defenses will be for lack of a better word, defenseless😅

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

The pass to Beasley on the 1st and 15 was an incredible pass.  I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

That was one of the best throws I have ever seen. There’s only 2 QBs in the league that can make that throw

• Agree 1

Speaking of preseason overreactions (that I completely believe, and tbf are not solely based on the preseason), I believe the Allen era is likely to be the best era of bills football. I did see the 90s teams as a kid, so I realize the significance of saying this (my blind spot being the Kemp years).  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Could Tribusky play much more than most are thinking?

Could heplay a lot in mop up roles this year?

Go up by 21 and put Tribusky in?

Put Allen safely on the bench and into the capable hands of Tribusky?

Get Diggs and Sanders out too?

As much as I like Tribusky (and think that he could do this) he s no Allen our clear MVP.

Im saying we'd still be pretty good and would be safe this way.

Maybe run more out from under center. But still throw if the D plays the run.

We play a lot of teams I think we might go up big on early.

Or!

Mine is a second and fourth rounder. That is enough to make us a player in the 2022 draft.

Unless a team is desperate nobody is giving up a 2nd and 4th for Mitchell

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually thought his best throw was his back shoulder throw to Gabe Davis on an early 3rd down— just deadly accurate. 

It really showed that he trusted Davis to win the 1:1. He can box out CBs better than any of the other WRs. I think he's becoming a true possession receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Speaking of preseason overreactions (that I completely believe, and tbf are not solely based on the preseason), I believe the Allen era is likely to be the best era of bills football. I did see the 90s teams as a kid, so I realize the significance of saying this (my blind spot being the Kemp years).  

Speaking of overreactions…::;;I completely believe 17 is already our 2nd best player ever, trailing only 78

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually thought his best throw was his back shoulder throw to Gabe Davis on an early 3rd down— just deadly accurate. 

That one stood out to me because he threw it before Gabe even turned.  Something you never saw between him and our #1 WR Kelvin Benjamin his rookie year.

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Unless a team is desperate nobody is giving up a 2nd and 4th for Mitchell

Sean McVay worried about his backup maybe?

Josh reminds me of the awe inspiring QB play of the 1990 KGun Kelly. The ball comes out so fast with such command of how to move against any defense. Factor in the run threat and the fact that his freakish arm strength can fit balls in the tightest of windows and you have something very dynamic. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That one stood out to me because he threw it before Gabe even turned.  Something you never saw between him and our #1 WR Kelvin Benjamin his rookie year.

Sean McVay worried about his backup maybe?

Oh sorry, didn’t recall KB ever turning...🥴

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bad Things said:

The pass to Beasley on the 1st and 15 was an incredible pass.  (Where he is running towards his left and then throws a perfect pass, across his body, towards the right.)

Beasley is the engine that keeps this offense ticking. If he ever gets sidelined for any reason, I expect a decent drop off in 3rd down percentage. Some people just don't understand how good at his job he really is. I hate when people say he's not the future and guys like McKenzie will take his spot. Not happening. Good slot receivers can play well into their 30s, but only if he decides it's worth the toll on his body to do so. The guy hasn't slowed down one bit and actually aged like wine.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Ferguson had some pretty good teams under Knox....

It's still just refreshing to know 3rd & long doesn't equal an automatic punt like it did with Tyrod. Those plays where you're just resigned to giving up & doing a quick check down not even trying to get any yardage or convert just sucked.

Now if only 3rd & long when we're on defense didn't feel like such a cursed down, I'd be happy. I swear, I feel more confident we'll stop the opposing offense on 3rd & 4 than I do 3rd & 14. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I don't think they would trade him at all.  Based on what we've seen this preseason there's a substantial drop-off in QBing after Josh/Mitch...  Fromm and Davis are not close in capability at all.  I think the price to trade Trubisky would be quite high.... its not just "what could we get for him".  If Allen has to miss a couple games, they need a QB who can keep winning.  That's what Trubisky showed against the Bears last week.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the next poster who suggests we should trade Trubisky should be sent to IR for a few weeks.  We're not trading Trubisky.  Our objective is the Super Bowl and you don't risk achieving that objective for a pick in next year's draft.  You have to have a backup QB who can step in and win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The ones that he just threw away when he realized that the play was blown up I was very impressed with that it shows his maturity

Same, for example in the 2nd quarter that throw to Beasely while under pressure, and even moreso the throw to Nate to save the play.  The only thing I didn’t like was Allen rushing for the 1st down when 4th and 2.  You never know a defender for the Packers playing for a job could’ve hammered him if one step faster.  That wasn’t worth any risk in a PS game.  This sounds silly, but I was proud of him early in the game for just going down for the sack, and recognizing he tries to escape, he could get hurt.  It was a very smart decision.

8 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Unless we get a 1st rounder for him - he's not going anywhere. I forget who I was listening to, but they brought up a very good point that another amazing season from Allen and Daboll is gone and Mitch might be his QB wherever he's going.

22 hours ago, Bad Things said:

While I was watching the game with a preseason (relaxed with feet up) frame of mind, that pass made me stand up and shout "holy s#**!”. It was outrageous.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Same, for example in the 2nd quarter that throw to Beasely while under pressure, and even moreso the throw to Nate to save the play.  The only thing I didn’t like was Allen rushing for the 1st down when 4th and 2.  You never know a defender for the Packers playing for a job could’ve hammered him if one step faster.  That wasn’t worth any risk in a PS game.  This sounds silly, but I was proud of him early in the game for just going down for the sack, and recognizing he tries to escape, he could get hurt.  It was a very smart decision.

incorrect statement

Josh would have hammered the defender 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuseBill said:

I think the next poster who suggests we should trade Trubisky should be sent to IR for a few weeks.  We're not trading Trubisky.  Our objective is the Super Bowl and you don't risk achieving that objective for a pick in next year's draft.  You have to have a backup QB who can step in and win.

Correct.  And no one is going to trade a first (or even a third) for Trubisky at this point.  Philly just got Minshew for a 6th. Mitch isn’t worth much more, and the only way that changes is if JA gets hurt and Trubusky comes in and plays great for an extended period. He was a free agent a couple months ago and generated little interest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have said all year, he's still 2 years from his ceiling because of how raw he was and he's going to have an even better season. 

I just worry about when Dabol leaves but I bet they promote in house, Ken Dorset maybe

Would be wise to let Dorsey get some burn calling a couple games this year. 

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Would be wise to let Dorsey get some burn calling a couple games this year. 

I highly disagree with this-if you want him to “practice” calling plays you do it in the preseason and/or practice. At no point should the coaching staff even remotely consider letting him call plays because he might be calling them next year. You would be messing with chemistry, potentially losing games, just to give him a chance to call some plays? No, he calls plays WHEN he is the coordinator, not if he becomes coordinator 

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The ones that he just threw away when he realized that the play was blown up I was very impressed with that it shows his maturity

On the back to back plays where he intentionally threw the ball in the dirt and then turtled and fell down to take a sack, I thought both plays were very Bradyesque. Better to live to fight another down than risk a catestrophic failure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1