The signs of even better things to come from Josh Allen

jwhit34

53 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I highly disagree with this-if you want him to “practice” calling plays you do it in the preseason and/or practice. At no point should the coaching staff even remotely consider letting him call plays because he might be calling them next year. You would be messing with chemistry, potentially losing games, just to give him a chance to call some plays? No, he calls plays WHEN he is the coordinator, not if he becomes coordinator 

maybe at least have him shadow Daboll in the booth? See if they are on the same page? Could be something they already do. But not sure if Dorsey has been in the booth. He might be in the sideline with Allen.

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

On the back to back plays where he intentionally threw the ball in the dirt and then turtled and fell down to take a sack, I thought both plays were very Bradyesque. Better to live to fight another down than risk a catestrophic failure. 

If he wants to be Bradyesque he needs to take acting lessons in offseason like Brady does.  He can then get some more calls like the GOAT faker.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He did not “take what he was given.”  He took whatever the f— he wanted.

this.  

It also appeared he was working on getting his reps in the middle of the field and the swing passes to the RBs....something he said he was working on during the off season.  

21 hours ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

He needs to learn to hit the deep lob, then he would be unstoppable.  He missed it twice yesterday with open receivers.  

He had a pretty good dive last season that resulted in a RTP called against the other team. 

Don't remember which game it was though

On 8/28/2021 at 10:50 PM, Bad Things said:

The pass to Beasley on the 1st and 15 was an incredible pass.  (Where he is running towards his left and then throws a perfect pass, across his body, towards the right.)

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more.

Josh continues to improve, and I honestly don't know where his ceiling is.  He's just a joy to watch play the game.

I saw him make similar throws a few times last year.  He learned how to swing his hips around to get into throwing position in a really quick and effortless motion that is amazing.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:25 PM, billybrew1 said:

Could Tribusky play much more than most are thinking?

Could heplay a lot in mop up roles this year?

Go up by 21 and put Tribusky in?

Put Allen safely on the bench and into the capable hands of Tribusky?

Get Diggs and Sanders out too?

As much as I like Tribusky (and think that he could do this) he s no Allen our clear MVP.

Im saying we'd still be pretty good and would be safe this way.

Maybe run more out from under center. But still throw if the D plays the run.

We play a lot of teams I think we might go up big on early.

Or!

What is your price to trade Tribusky? Say Mitch is good with it.....

Mine is a second and fourth rounder. That is enough to make us a player in the 2022 draft.

We could finish this team and get another blue chipper.

I'd love that in a trade.

Nah… I’m good with him breaking every record known to man. I want that mvp, baby! 

22 hours ago, Motorin' said:

On the back to back plays where he intentionally threw the ball in the dirt and then turtled and fell down to take a sack, I thought both plays were very Bradyesque. Better to live to fight another down than risk a catestrophic failure. 

I'd say him turtling has more to do with it being preseason don't know if he does that when the game counts.

If what we saw is going to regular season Josh Allen then you're looking at a pantheon level QB, and every bit as good as Mahomes.  And it looks like they're adding an element of the hurry up whenever Allen wants? This is a TERRIFYING offense

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say him turtling has more to do with it being preseason don't know if he does that when the game counts.

I actually hope that exact play is something he has worked on. Some of his worst plays have resulted from blindly spinning to his left and then refusing to take a sack. I'm not hoping he stops trying to make those plays, but when he spins widely and doesn't see an out, please go down rather than run backwards 30 yards and risk fumbling.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, jwhit34 said:

2. Understanding the situation: I thought he showed great maturity in grasping that this is a preseason game, he has to get his work in but he wasn't going to take unnecessary chances that would have been an injury risk. A big assist from Brian Daboll for the play calling that got the work in for the starters but put Allen at minimal injury risk.

Good post, I am also very optimistic but in regards to #2, that is not seeable in the preseason, especially in the work/game situations he had in the preseason. The way I see this, where he has shown issues is when the game is on the line or if the offense is struggling and he wants to score, he has taken some bad sacks or done some unnecessarily risky things.  When things are going well and the offense is moving the ball/scoring, I agree he has shown great poise.   What happens in the 4th quarter when they are down 9 points against the Chiefs.....we will find out.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:21 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I actually thought his best throw was his back shoulder throw to Gabe Davis on an early 3rd down— just deadly accurate. 

There were a number of those… there was one throw to Devin where he lofted it over his head forcing Devin to swing around and catch it running… it looked like it forced a harder catch at first, but actually seemed to help get him moving in the right direction for better yac 

On 8/29/2021 at 12:43 PM, Motorin' said:

Save the superman cape for the playoffs or December football.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, appoo said:

If what we saw is going to regular season Josh Allen then you're looking at a pantheon level QB, and every bit as good as Mahomes.

Chris Simms essentially said this on his AFC east preview today, he said Allen has earned being talked about on Mahomes and Rodgers level.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:25 PM, billybrew1 said:

Could Tribusky play much more than most are thinking?

Could heplay a lot in mop up roles this year?

Go up by 21 and put Tribusky in?

Put Allen safely on the bench and into the capable hands of Tribusky?

Get Diggs and Sanders out too?

As much as I like Tribusky (and think that he could do this) he s no Allen our clear MVP.

Im saying we'd still be pretty good and would be safe this way.

Maybe run more out from under center. But still throw if the D plays the run.

We play a lot of teams I think we might go up big on early.

Or!

What is your price to trade Tribusky? Say Mitch is good with it.....

Mine is a second and fourth rounder. That is enough to make us a player in the 2022 draft.

We could finish this team and get another blue chipper.

I'd love that in a trade.

i like the thought of pulling starters because our receivers were beat up at the end of the year- too much wear and tear. the stats may go down but everyone will be fresher in january.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, jwhit34 said:

I preface this by stating that this is only preseason, and I don't put much stock in things that happen in preseason games. Think of the endless string of RBs or WRs who have become TBD favorites over the years that never make it in the league.

That said, here are 4 things that I saw from Josh Allen in the game today that indicate to me that he has a good chance of being even better this year:

1. Taking what he's given: Allen showed great patience and took what was given to him in all the drives.

2. Understanding the situation: I thought he showed great maturity in grasping that this is a preseason game, he has to get his work in but he wasn't going to take unnecessary chances that would have been an injury risk. A big assist from Brian Daboll for the play calling that got the work in for the starters but put Allen at minimal injury risk.

3. Decision making and competitiveness: This is almost a merging of 1 and 2 as shown by the run on 4th down. It was only preseason, but the competitive juices kicked in and he runs for a first down. However, smart move getting out of bounds after picking it up. 

4. The Gabe Davis TD... showed that Allen cranks it up and delivers when they need a big play. 3rd and 20 and he's going for it and throws an absolute dart 35 yards downfield. 

And just overall his poise, command and control when he's on the field. It's so great to watch. I think this was the public display akin to what all the beat writers have been talking about what they see at practice. 

Let the real games begin...

I have to agree. I always hesitate to be overly positive about the Bills, because in the past the franchise has let us down, but I  think Allen still has not reached his ceiling.  

The most positive things I’ve read from multiple beat reporters is that Allen has looked just as good against the Bills first defense as he did against Green Bay.  So it’s not like he just beat up on a team of backups.

I think a big part of his game is “taking what’s given” with Beasley, Sanders, and the running backs.