Per PFT - Multiple coaches want to cancel all games tomorrow, put a pause on season 😢

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, loedward22 said:

I think it would hurt the Bills a little though, because the 2 of the 4 games which would be removed from their schedule would be against the Dolphins and Jets...

If they rescheduled the rest of a shortened season, they would likely preserve divisional games.  Cross conference games and those with the most travel would probably be cut first.

3 minutes ago, loedward22 said:

I think it would hurt the Bills a little though, because 2 of the 4 games which would be removed from their schedule would be against the Dolphins and Jets...

I would assume a shortened season includes a reschedule. I highly doubt division games are going anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I would assume a shortened season includes a reschedule. I highly doubt division games are going anywhere. 

According to the PFT article (take it for what it's worth) the reschedule would cut the divisional schedule for every team down to one:

"As one coach mapped it out, teams would play their division rivals only once, and one of their interconference games would be scrapped."

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

False positive in the Saints, no other positives in Chiefs- Pats, titans game rescheduled easily...

If anything, week four is shaping up to be a statement that the battle plan can survive enemy contact. 

No other positives in Chiefs - Pats ... yet.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will play today. I can however see an emergency meeting after these week 4 games to work out what next. I do think a shortening of the season and some sort of break probably occur. 

The tweet is great click-bait — how many are “multiple?”  Two?  Ten?

Obviously Goodell is keeping a very close eye on things with the recent spikes, and I won’t be surprised if they make some changes, but I think a lot depends upon the testing after this week’s games.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

This has been discussed a bunch. Moving the super bowl is incredibly difficult given sponsors, hotels, security, etc. 

This is absolutely true - on a normal year.  The Super Bowl is played in a nice city with lots of tourists and lots of other events.

This year those tourists are way down, number of fans is way down that can go, number of media and events in the city have been curtailed - if the NFL decides they want to move the Super Bowl back - this is the one year they can do it.  

They would have the ability to shift the date with less other events going on - or even move the venue because there are fewer events happening.  I believe early on before the season started - the NFL stated the Tampa area was free 3 weeks later and was available as a fall back date if needed.  They would review that and adjust from there.

I believe the NFL has built in a ton of contingency plans - most just have not been shared.  People are freaking out like they don’t have a plan and that is crazy.  CFB - they don’t have a plan - what is happening in college football is a disgrace.  Some leagues postponed the season and are now being forced to reconsider, some teams are postponing games, others are playing with an obvious outbreak occurring.  They have no set of rules or testing they are following and they are just out for the money.

The NFL has a plan, but it is being tested right now.  They are adjusting and will try to get through.  They stated early on if outbreaks start occurring - they would look at every option including pausing the season for a week or two to get everyone way for 10 days and hitting reset.  They have contingency plans to be able to move the Super Bowl back if needed and they had plans to shift Sunday games back to Monday-Tuesday to allow for additional testing.  They added additional PS players to allow people to slide to COVID IR and still get games in.  

All of their plans are being tested and some are going to fail and need adjusting.  Ideally they would have bubbled, but the NFLPA was against that - maybe this changes their mind and that gets adjusted?  I expected hiccups about this time - how the NFL reacts is the next step, but I am actually more confident that they are going to get through this than I was this summer - probably with some more disturbances, but eventually get through the season and have a champion.

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

With the Bills in Vegas, what are the chances they all behaved and stayed in their rooms?

Better than the chances of the Raiders players following league policies and local regs on Covid-19 IMO.   I think McDermott always runs a tight ship, and with what's happened this week in Nashville and NE, I think that everyone on the Bills -- administrators, coaches, players, and support staff -- will be diligent about taking precautions even in Vegas.

29 minutes ago, eball said:

Obviously Goodell is keeping a very close eye on things with the recent spikes, and I won’t be surprised if they make some changes, but I think a lot depends upon the testing after this week’s games.

I suspect the multiple coaches who want to cancel the season are all on the Jets’ coaching staff. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't know if we have enough info yet to see if any pausing and shortening of the season is needed.

If the NFL decides to 'pause' things for 1-2 full week after today, gather information and do what they can to lock things down, I'd understand it and not be opposed to it.

Take a measured, cautious approach without going overboard.  Doing nothing and considering nothing while plowing full speed ahead with the season may not be smart....but then on the other side, announcing you are going to be shutting everything down for weeks and weeks...might not be needed either.  

Again, more info is your friend...and the league office probably has more info now than anyone (fans and coaches of individual teams included)

From what we have learned though, when you do have 1 positive test that is confirmed, you probably need to remove that person from the team and give it 2 more days of negative tests from the rest of the team before committing to playing.  It seems someone can have Covid and not test positive for 2 days.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, Beast said:

But, from what I understand, and I could be wrong here......is that sometimes you may not test positive for up to 48 hours after exposure. Could multiple players be taking the field that are carriers?

Take a Chill Pill

Just cause anything COULD be happening doesnt mean you shut down everything

1 positive test = quarantine that player and play game

3 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Take a Chill Pill

Just cause anything COULD be happening doesnt mean you shut down everything

1 positive test = quarantine that player and play game

As I just mentioned in a post above, I disagree also.

If a player tests positive and has been with other players, it is likely they have been carrying covid before the test. The only prudent thing to do is removed the positive player/coach from the team and not play against another team until everyone else has 2 full days of negative tests.

As far as I can tell, there is 1 team that really is the issue— the Titans. I would basically sideline that team for several weeks to effectively quarantine that organization. My understanding too is that they violated protocols, which has led to this. 

I know I don’t want the bills playing those guys next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

NHL and NBA played tournaments in a "bubble". They didn't attempt a full regular season. MLB had problems with Marlins and Cardinals . Both teams didn't play for 2 weeks. 

Right, which goes to my point, that at no time did an entire league suspend play.  The Marlins took a break while the rest of MLB went on as scheduled.

1 hour ago, loedward22 said:

According to the PFT article (take it for what it's worth) the reschedule would cut the divisional schedule for every team down to one:

"As one coach mapped it out, teams would play their division rivals only once, and one of their interconference games would be scrapped."

Not true.  That's not what a reschedule would be.  That's merely ONE coach's suggestion, probably from a team that doesn't want to play their tough divisional opponents a second time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Mike Florio also has a penchant for cheering on and almost promoting worst case scenarios. Whenever it comes to potential roadblocks for the NFL whether it be legal, coronavirus, protests, liability issues, concussions.......Florio always seems to be rooting for or at the very least promoting chaos.  Maybe its the lawyer in him, but the man is always "glass half empty" pontificating on his daily show.  He could be hearing this but, damn, I hope this doesn't happen.

MLB (without a bubble)

NHL (bubble)

NBA (bubble)

Were all able to manage through their respective seasons without having to temporarily suspend the entire league.  With much more money on the table and just general importance to the nation's psyche I see no reason the NFL can't persevere through these uncharted waters.

I’ve noticed this with Florio as well. He rails on Covid like it’s the plague, it’s a serious virus but he has such a negative tone and you can see Sims wanting to roll his eyes and just say stfu. The doom and gloom has been hanging over us for months, how about some positives. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

PFT is about as reliable as a crack head when breaking news. I can see a pause on the if KC/NE have an out break like Tennessee. I do not see them shortening it. A week pause, plus a more stringent approach (like the Bills are going) will be fine 

Are you saying PFT is making up sources/information and that it's inconceivable at least 2 coaches have told him this?

"Multiple coaches have suggested..."

33 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Not true.  That's not what a reschedule would be.  That's merely ONE coach's suggestion, probably from a team that doesn't want to play their tough divisional opponents a second time.

You need to PRIORITIZE the division games.  That’s what the playoffs are for.  To take the division winners and put them against each other!  Anything else would be Very frustrating. 

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I just woke up to use the bathroom. smoked a cigarette, and I see this tweet .. I can't fall back asleep.  The Bills have been a major source of happiness for years but especially in this surreal year of 2020. 

God I hope the NFL goes a different route. 

Oh and Don't kill the messenger!

I heard those coaches were 0-3

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is a 12+ billion dollar organization the fact they couldn't create a bubble environment and have teams go from hotel to team facilities and thats it is a joke. 

no way this season finishes on time. NFL will be postponed until Spring 2021  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

The Saints one seems to be a false positive as well which is good news. Apparently the meeting tomorrow will be a final warning to teams to follow the protocol. The league can't get through the season if each week is like this one.

4 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

As mentioned above, take Florio with a grain of salt. 

I choose to ignore him.  To even tweet that based on "coaches" and based on one "outbreak" on one team plus Cam is grossly irresponsible even for him.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

Are you saying PFT is making up sources/information and that it's inconceivable at least 2 coaches have told him this?

"Multiple coaches have suggested..."

I think the level of emphasis we can perceive from PFF's statement can go from 2 conditioning coaches suggesting it all the way to multiple head coaches suggesting it, therefore their statement is utterly meaningless.

Edited by What a Tuel

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

With the Bills in Vegas, what are the chances they all behaved and stayed in their rooms?

Not sure if you're joking but I think very high that they stayed in their rooms!  Between what has happened in the NFL and elsewhere is a big reminder.

Is strange how things in the league were so good the first 3 weeks, and now got much worse.

12 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

The NFL is a 12+ billion dollar organization the fact they couldn't create a bubble environment and have teams go from hotel to team facilities and thats it is a joke. 

no way this season finishes on time. NFL will be postponed until Spring 2021  

They need the players to agree to the bubble idea and could see where they'd say no for that long a period of time and frankly can't blame them.  The players in the NBA reported to the bubble roughly 3 weeks prior to the start of NFL training camp.  By the time the first week of the NFL season started, the NBA only had 4 teams left, so in two months time the number of players still left in the bubble was less than one NFL roster in close to the same time period it took only for training camp.  To expect players to go in this bubble that long away from family including through the holidays is to long.  Too many would be going over the wall, in particular a team say with a 2 -10 record say two days before Thanksgiving.  I read the NBA has already stated no bubble for the 2021 season for the same reasons it's too long.

Could see why the idea of only one division game would make sense if shortening the season as some teams have played both out of conference and out of division games while some haven't.  But doubt anyone has played a division opponent twice yet, so is the easy thing to do.  Maybe you then eliminate divisions and just have two 16 team conferences where the top 7 teams get in.

Don't like the idea of adding games to the end of the season at all.  Suppose the Buffalo - Tenn game is canceled, likely could both be in the playoffs.  So they play "week 18" while the remaining playoff teams have a bye.  Personally if I were in the playoffs already and just playing this makeup for seeding purposes, if the scenario I described played out, I'd elect to forfeit the game so we can rest too.  I'm sure the league would say no to that, so I'd play 8 guys on the field to reduce the risk of injury.  No way is it even close to fair to make me play while everyone else is resting!  Have to have the makeup week say two weeks prior to the end of the season so everyone plays the last two weeks.

Do kind of like the idea of having a break maybe after week 5, 10, and 15 for potential make ups.  If they don't need it, then move the schedule back up and eliminate the teams scheduled byes, though that may be tricky to do at this point.  Does make me wonder how many alternative schedule concepts the league already has in their back pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I choose to ignore him.  To even tweet that based on "coaches" and based on one "outbreak" on one team plus Cam is grossly irresponsible even for him.  

I believe your statement is grossly irresponsible in at least one way. I will choose to ignore you. 

11 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I think the level of emphasis we can perceive from PFF's statement can go from 2 conditioning coaches suggesting it all the way to multiple head coaches suggesting it, therefore their statement is utterly meaningless.

I don't have issue with what you are stating or that you believe it to be meaningless. I took issue with the previous commenter blasting this as 'fake news' ("PFT is about as reliable as a crack head when breaking news.") as if Florio or whoever is making up sources/information. 

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I just woke up to use the bathroom. smoked a cigarette, and I see this tweet .. I can't fall back asleep.  The Bills have been a major source of happiness for years but especially in this surreal year of 2020. 

God I hope the NFL goes a different route. 

Oh and Don't kill the messenger!

Gase, Quinn, and O'Brien??  😂

49 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

It was the NFLPA who rejected the bubble scenario. It quickly became a non-starter during negotiations.

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I’ve been saying all week that they need to shut it down for two weeks push the games back and add a bye week or two for make up games. 

They should have added at least three bye weeks per team to account for any finagling of the schedule needed for cancellations. There would still be football every week, but it allows more flexibility.

As the league moves toward 17 or 18 games a season, it would be best to have two byes once the pandemic is over. They used to have two back in the Kelly era. Shouldn’t have reduced it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Estro said:

Mike Florio also has a penchant for cheering on and almost promoting worst case scenarios. Whenever it comes to potential roadblocks for the NFL whether it be legal, coronavirus, protests, liability issues, concussions.......Florio always seems to be rooting for or at the very least promoting chaos.  Maybe its the lawyer in him, but the man is always "glass half empty" pontificating on his daily show.  He could be hearing this but, damn, I hope this doesn't happen.

MLB (without a bubble)

NHL (bubble)

NBA (bubble)

Were all able to manage through their respective seasons without having to temporarily suspend the entire league.  With much more money on the table and just general importance to the nation's psyche I see no reason the NFL can't persevere through these uncharted waters.

This was predictable and (so far) looks manageable.

The NBA and NHL situations aren't comparable given the bubbles. That wasn't feasible for the NFL, and still isn't.

MLB did go through 2 significant outbreaks - the Marlins, then the Cardinals. They shut down those teams, but because it's baseball (doubleheaders, etc.) even the worst hit, the Cards, managed to get in 58 games of the 60 games scheduled. Given the expanded playoffs they didn't need to play the last 2.

The NFL can't schedule doubleheaders or 2 games a week, so the options are limited. There's basically the bye week and the extra week before the Super Bowl to play with. So we're using up 1 with just 1 to go. If we use up the second week, I'd bet on a shortened season for the entire NFL. And that's not great, but a lot better than no season at all.