No worries about Josh but the Interior DL is a concern!

PUNT750

7 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

My metrics are players with quality resumes!

😆😆😆Lawson? who played his best in contract year, Lotulelei? who  most people here already want him out Phillips? that most of his sacks were products of the pressure of the rest of the line, and people forgive him the amount of penalties he caused (and don't do the same with Hughes)

The outcome of this DL is determined by team play and not for individuals goals

7 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

The first game has not even been played yet. No preseason. Every one of our players is a concern until proven otherwise. OP bases his concerns completely on being a Josh fanboy, not on acutal performance. Josh has proven nothing yet. He has yet to prove he is true franchise QB. We all hope he will step up and improve, but he is a huge question mark till he actually proves himself in a game this year. As is with every player, every year. You need to prove yourself every year and not live on what you once did in the past. You either get better, stay the same, or do worse. Let us hope that everyone proves themselves this year when the games are finally actually played.

Edited by simpleman

The OL remains a far bigger concern than Josh and certainly the DL.  The OL was a mediocrity last year - they just looked good to us because they weren't the dumpster fire that was the 2018 OL.  We've got to hope Ford improves, and Nsehke and Williams can stay healthy, if they are going to do anything better than be average.  

Star was a likely CUT before he opted out.  He did not hold his ground nearly as well as you hope for for an expensive NT.

Jordan Phillips was the single biggest point of failure in the run defense.  Numerous instances of him getting out of position available here and elsewhere.  He also would not have made this team's roster.

The two of them were being replaced:   Ed Oliver, Harrison Phillips, Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler are your DTs - which one gets cut for the two they lost?

At DE Shaq was good enough, but not even a starter.  Addison and Epenesa will fill in just fine.

Edited by BobChalmers

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If we score enough points teams won't be able to run. I don't think we'll be good vs the run but in terms of concerns it's a distant 2nd behind our ability to put up points. 

Josh Allen remains the biggest concern on the team until proven otherwise.

Sure, imagine that he only plays as well as he did last year, *gasp* and is only able to secure a playoff spot with two weeks to spare. Too terrible to contemplate.

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anyone ever hear of a guy named Ed? I think he owns a horse stable..🤓

Funny how he fails to mention the future All Pro.

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I share your concern for our run defense, but Allen has proven nothing yet. Why does everyone give him a free pass?

What does 'free pass' mean?

• Like (+1) 1

Vernon Butler may be slightly less consistent as run defender than the underrated Start Lotulelei.  Oliver should be even better as an all around under tackle in his "sophomore "season.  He's good against the run and disruptive in the passing game.  Quinton Jefferson and Horrible Harry are better than the guys they are replacing.  As has been stated, Jordan Phillips, though disruptive in passing defense, was undisciplined and a liability in run defense.  Barring the injury bug, the interior of the defensive line should be fine, and the practice squad has a couple serviceable guys to boot.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I share your concern for our run defense, but Allen has proven nothing yet. Why does everyone give him a free pass?

Allen has proven a lot, but he does need to continue to get better. I don't see anyone giving him a free pass.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

He's proven he can improve as evidenced by looking at his play from 2018 and comparing it to 2019. It's not a free pass. I think everyone is encouraged by the reports coming out of camp and the feeling that he is going to make a similar leap from year two to three as he did from one to two. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Given the volume of threads & posters over the past 2 seasons who question his franchise qb long term viability, I’m not sure how saying “everyone” gives him a free pass, as a blanket statement, is even remotely supportable. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Lots of veteran talent brought in. Losing Star will be bigger issue than this board wants to give credit. He absorbed a ton of blockers last year.  H. Phillips was terrible his rookie year but looked a bit better before the ACL. Still its asking a lot from him to play a bunch early on. 

Oliver is the key here. I didn't like the draft pick but most on this board loved it. He didn't show much last year but there were flashes of him playing well.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

My metrics are players with quality resumes!

IMO Josh will manage a great offense!

9 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Quality resumes, like all pro awards?  I ask again, what did we lose?

Still waiting for an answer.

Oh right, you were talking out of your rear and cherry picking stats with no context to try to sound smart.  I joke about people not being happy unless the entire roster is filled with All Pros, but that seems to literally be your case if you're that upset about depth/rotation guys.

11 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Josh will lead the team to offensive greatness.  We've got a power house group of skilled players who can put points on the board.

But, can we stop the runs up the middle?  Time killing drives that can limit our offense.

Gone are Shaq, Star and Jordan.  Replacing them are; Vernon Butler who has started only 9 games of 52 and has a total of 77 combined tackles, Quinton Jefferson with 4 years in Seattle, 24 starts and just 59 combined tackles and Mario Addison at age 33 who has started 51 games in 9 years.  I don't see any Pro Bowls &  All-Pro awards.

Can they stuff the run up the middle and keep the opponents OL off Edmunds?? 

We will be fine.  Jets dont exactly have a dominant run game with their weak OL and also all reports so far are that Bell has not looked good in camp and even looks like he lost a step.  Bell was always one of those guys that I felt was great because of his OL in Pittsburgh more than his ability as a runner.  His patient style works with a good OL, but when the OL isn't strong he needs to create more for himself and burst through small holes before they close.  I am not saying he wasn't talented, just that he is no Barry Sanders who can make things happen even with a struggling OL.  

So, I am not too concerned about the Jets run game, plus I think we have a pretty talented DL overall and will do just fine.  Even if we have an inconsistent performance this week stopping those runs up the middle, I think the D will more than make up for it with how good we are else where.  For me, I just don't see our DL up the middle being what wins or loses this game.  Its more on the offense as a whole for me...both for us and Jets.  With no preseason and limited camp, which ever QB can find a groove first will take control of this game.  And given Josh is facing a depleted Jets D and Darnold is facing our vaunted defense, its pretty clearly a strong edge right now for Josh before the game kicks-off on who more than likely gets their rhythm flowing this week.  

11 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Josh will lead the team to offensive greatness.  We've got a power house group of skilled players who can put points on the board.

But, can we stop the runs up the middle?  Time killing drives that can limit our offense.

Gone are Shaq, Star and Jordan.  Replacing them are; Vernon Butler who has started only 9 games of 52 and has a total of 77 combined tackles, Quinton Jefferson with 4 years in Seattle, 24 starts and just 59 combined tackles and Mario Addison at age 33 who has started 51 games in 9 years.  I don't see any Pro Bowls &  All-Pro awards.

Um, Jordan Phillips was not noted as a run-stuffer.  In fact, he was a bit focused on penetrating and getting into the backfield, which meant sometimes we were vulnerable.

And the perennial complaint about Lotulelei was that he wasn't racking up the tackles - just 36 combined and 22 solo tackles over 32 starts in the last 2 years (so Jefferson more tackles/start)?  How many Pro Bowls and all-Pro awards those guys got?

Funny you don't mention Ed Oliver or Harrison Phillips.

Also funny you mention Shaq Lawson but you don't mention Hughes is still here or the addition of Espenesa.

There is one thing I can’t stand when watching a Bills game and that is when the other team just pounds the football in the run game and we cannot stop it. I feel like this defense is on the smaller side     with faster players who flow well to the football and excel in coverage. With no preseason I hope these guys are ready because I see more teams pounding the rock in the first few weeks of the season. 

• Like (+1) 2

He isn’t wrong.  It’s a big question mark that remains to be seen.  If I were the opposition, I’d focus my offense on gashing us up the middle

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Still waiting for an answer.

Oh right, you were talking out of your rear and cherry picking stats with no context to try to sound smart.  I joke about people not being happy unless the entire roster is filled with All Pros, but that seems to literally be your case if you're that upset about depth/rotation guys.

Just wondering when you saw this DL play together and what you thought about their performance?  

It’s an unknown at this point imo.

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Everyone?  Interesting take.  I don’t feel that that’s the case in the least

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Lots of veteran talent brought in. Losing Star will be bigger issue than this board wants to give credit. He absorbed a ton of blockers last year.  H. Phillips was terrible his rookie year but looked a bit better before the ACL. Still its asking a lot from him to play a bunch early on. 

Oliver is the key here. I didn't like the draft pick but most on this board loved it. He didn't show much last year but there were flashes of him playing well.

Agree with all of this except I loved the Ed pick.  Just curious as why you didn’t like the pick and who you wanted instead?

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

I think the Bills wanted to sneak Vincent Taylor on the practice squad as a big run stuffer.  Cleveland signed him to their 53. That's when they signed Zimmer to the PS.

Yeah that pissed me off.  Dam you Cleveland!!

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We will be fine.  Jets dont exactly have a dominant run game with their weak OL and also all reports so far are that Bell has not looked good in camp and even looks like he lost a step.  Bell was always one of those guys that I felt was great because of his OL in Pittsburgh more than his ability as a runner.  His patient style works with a good OL, but when the OL isn't strong he needs to create more for himself and burst through small holes before they close.  I am not saying he wasn't talented, just that he is no Barry Sanders who can make things happen even with a struggling OL.  

So, I am not too concerned about the Jets run game, plus I think we have a pretty talented DL overall and will do just fine.  Even if we have an inconsistent performance this week stopping those runs up the middle, I think the D will more than make up for it with how good we are else where.  For me, I just don't see our DL up the middle being what wins or loses this game.  Its more on the offense as a whole for me...both for us and Jets.  With no preseason and limited camp, which ever QB can find a groove first will take control of this game.  And given Josh is facing a depleted Jets D and Darnold is facing our vaunted defense, its pretty clearly a strong edge right now for Josh before the game kicks-off on who more than likely gets their rhythm flowing this week.  

What happens when we don’t play the Jets?

16 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

OMG LB48 is back already,  FFS, just stop! 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Where is Ed Oliver in your evaluation?  You know our highest graded run stop guy last year?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dneveu said:

As do Hughes, Epenesa, Murphy.. its a big rotation, and ron rivera does the same.  Just because a player starts doesn't mean that they aren't getting a fair share of snaps.

It lead to a couple losses last year against cleveland and philly.  I'm not particularly certain buffalo was that good at it for a while there last year.  

Did it? Or did not scoring enough points really lead to the loss?

9 hours ago, turftoe said:

I think the Bills wanted to sneak Vincent Taylor on the practice squad as a big run stuffer.  Cleveland signed him to their 53. That's when they signed Zimmer to the PS.

Taylor would have been primarily a one tech.  Zimmer is a 3 tech.  If anything, Chris Slayton was signed to the PS replacing the departed Vincent Taylor.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

OMG LB48 is back already,  FFS, just stop! 

Don, I didn’t want to say it, but knew it was this guy.  Guys, stop taking the bait.  When you read someone in an initial thread and they are starting a baiting thread, just assume at this point it is Jets2020.  He’s doing this to p*s* you off.  He’s veiled so he’s not thrown off immediately, but it’s the same every time.  It’s too bad the mods can’t figure out his IP address as he just starts threads in another name.  He was smart this time as he didn’t start a thread with nothing.  He replied about 100 times, and then throws out a bomb.  It’s why I haven’t replied to this tool.

i highly encourage you to do the same.  This is middle school behavior.  Anyway, go Chiefs and enjoying the game.  Onto real football.  I hate to say it but the Texans are playing pretty well so far.

17 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Elite, no, but Star was very good at doing the unglamorous space eating, block absorbing duties McD needs in the middle of a run defense. Jordan Phillips less so.

I was really hoping that Vincent Taylor would prove to be the block eater this scheme seems to require, but it wasn't to be. I don't see a massive hole there, but I think "concern" is fair enough.

I'm not worried about the run stuffing abilities of our DEs at all. That does not appear to be a problem. DTs? We'll have to see how that goes.

If there is a potential weakness on the team in could be the NT/DT position.  Can they stop 3rd and short yardage situations consistently?

It's too bad Josh got brought into this because there's probably a good discussion to be had about the interior Dline. Part of the problem is lack of info. Is Butler going to be any good? Is Harry going to be able to get back to his horrible ways pre-injury? Will Ed take the next step and become more consistent snap to snap? 

We have so many Dline guys our impressive rookie DE can't even crack second string. Think we'll be ok.