Frank Gore said he would have had 1000 yard season last year if Bills didn’t go to Singletary

YoloinOhio

Nuthin but luv Frank...

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

62.5 yards per game......at 3 yards a carry, 21 carries per game.

I hoped for a great season but it didn't work out.

Yup.  A 1,000 yard season doesn't carry the luster it once did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Love Frank Gore, but nah

Possibly...I mean after Singletary came back Gore was mostly limited to non advantageous run situations like short yardage and goalline where his opportunity for yards was limited.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Yup.  A 1,000 yard season doesn't carry the luster it once did.

Especially when when the season extends to 17 or 18 games...

• Haha (+1) 1

Remember this Frank?

While Gore was awful, the epitome of ineptitude on Sunday was Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. The goal line sequence was the most obvious of all the examples, but it was awful all day long. Why it took three failed attempts by Gore before realizing that maybe a 6-foot-5 quarterback could sneak the ball across for six inches is beyond me, but Daboll just kept blowing it over and over. On 4th-and-1 on the first drive after halftime, Gore was stuffed again for a turnover on downs at the Washington 24-yard line. Did he FINALLY learn after that? Of course not. Later in the second half, after a quarterback sweep for Allen on second down that resulted in a fumble that Buffalo was lucky to recover, the Bills faced another short yardage situation at 3rd-and-1, and wouldn’t you know, Gore got stuffed in the backfield for a loss of three yards.

https://www.observertoday.com/sports/local-sports/2019/11/singletary-carries-bills-to-victory/

16 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Someone tell Gugny this, all Gore needed was to include post-season and with 600 more carrys versus the Texans he would have gotten to 1000.

600 more carries vs. the Texans and he could have converted ONE of those 3rd and 1s.

Why you bring this game up just to piss me off is beyond me!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Remember this Frank?

While Gore was awful, the epitome of ineptitude on Sunday was Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. The goal line sequence was the most obvious of all the examples, but it was awful all day long. Why it took three failed attempts by Gore before realizing that maybe a 6-foot-5 quarterback could sneak the ball across for six inches is beyond me, but Daboll just kept blowing it over and over. On 4th-and-1 on the first drive after halftime, Gore was stuffed again for a turnover on downs at the Washington 24-yard line. Did he FINALLY learn after that? Of course not. Later in the second half, after a quarterback sweep for Allen on second down that resulted in a fumble that Buffalo was lucky to recover, the Bills faced another short yardage situation at 3rd-and-1, and wouldn’t you know, Gore got stuffed in the backfield for a loss of three yards.

https://www.observertoday.com/sports/local-sports/2019/11/singletary-carries-bills-to-victory/

I think it was that interview with Mark Sanchez that Allen was talking about that fumble recovery against Dallas but he got to talking about those short yardage tries and basically said he only ever got stopped once all year every other time he converted it.

He probably isnt wrong, but 1,000 yards is not really saying much anymore, especially when he provided next to nothing in pass catching.   I dont think he was being disrespectful and no disrespect to him but he certainly slowed down at the end of the year.    That said, he probably had as good a season or better than the overpaid aging back who currently starts there.  

He probably could have as a bell cow RB getting a lot of carries.  But 1000 yards isn't that special anymore and he would have likely barely broken 1000 yards and our run game would have been less effective.  

I have no issue with Gore saying this, I mean 1000 yards is only 62.5 yards per game.  As long as Gore did not get hurt, he definitely could have put up 63 yards a game as a feature runner.  

HOWEVER...63 yards a game would have been a pretty weak run game, which is why they switched to Devin to get more pop, more chunk yards, fresh legs, etc.  And Gore was very respectful about it, he was not complaining, just talking about what he believes his own abilities were last year.  

Gore was a class act here IMO and was just him stating he felt he was still capable of 1000 yard season last year despite his age.  And he's not wrong about that IMO, although, his 1000 yard season would have meant a lesser overall run offense for us because Devin was the fresher and better option the 2nd half of last year for the team.  

• Like (+1) 2

He acknowledges that the Bills were right to go to Singletarry. So only story is him thinking he still has it. From week 4 and onward, he had near zero left. Moss could be a bad rookie yet remain an improvement. No shame in losing some steps after 15 years at the RB position! But it was plain for all to see. If Daboll and the Bills brass let him have the ball way more than they should it was probably because of locker room etiquette and respect. I mean, they can't be that blind. 

Singletarry with a year of added experience and Moss to bruise people and get hard yards... along with Josh-Diggs-Brown-Beasley-Knox... what an offense even if the OLine remains just the same!  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think it is unreasonable that if we gave him the ball 250 times (in all situations, not just short yardage) that he averages 4 yards/carry.   Towards the latter half of the season, he was almost exclusively used late in the game where we couldn't chance a fumble and short yardage situations where chances to gain yards were low.  I think he still had the tools to get there...

With that being said, I think I could have put up 1000 yards for the Bills last year if they gave me the ball just 400 more times. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Maybe he meant to say Singletary would've had 1000 yards if we hadn't used Frank so much... because he would have.

Seriously though, even though I think Frank is mistaken with his take, I don't think theres anything wrong with what he said. He's played his whole career believing in his abilities & what he can do when others doubted him. He's 100% a future HOF'er. Good luck with the Jests, you're gonna need it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Great player but he really hit a wall as the season went on.  He averaged 3.6 YPC last season and he was not automatic in short yardage situations.  His average YPC was more likely to decrease, not increase, with more carries.  So no, that does not earn you 280+  carries.  Sorry Frank. 

Much more likely that Singletary gets 1000 with more carries and still averages 4+ YPC. 

Edited by Bob in STL

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There was no chance of that happening.  Gore looked great when the season began he straight-up sucked toward the end.  How many times did he need to see Gore run right into defenders at the LOS for no gain?  Is the lone partially to blame?  Probably, but so was Gore’s straight ahead running style.  Singletary had more success running behind the same line.