Andy Dalton benched in Cincy

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It's a mother tiger eating her young (old) to survive 

Their franchise QB is fading fast.  They need a new one and find themselves at 0-8 with a solid group of QBs in the draft.

So they pull their starter and put in Curtis Painter.  There is no way anyone in that FO thinks the backup will do much better.  They are counting on the opposite.

Bill Polian approves.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

"Bridge QB" or "good game manager" fits him well. So many "haters" have called Allen a bust from day one. My own concern, is that he becomes a guy on Dalton's level, or Stafford's, Flacco's. etc.: quite good but not great. Good enough you don't want to get rid of him, but not great enough for the higher level games. I'm not saying that's what will happen! Just that it's my concern. Josh is already a better QB we've had for years and years. You have to go back to Beldsoe & Flutie. And he's still learning!

Bengals are dumb IF they don't have another option already though. KC could change from Alex Smith as they had Mahomes. The Panthers and Jaguars now see they have another option at QB. Do the Bengals have one?

I don't see that at all. I see Allen as total boom or total bust. He either makes it as an upper echelon franchise QB or washes out of the league entirely. He isn't really a caretaker  of the football. He isn't a cerebral player. He doesn't throw with much precision/accuracy/precision. He has difficulty operating a standard NFL offense. Allen was a polarizing prospect because of his skill set and will most likely have a polarizing career. 

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Holy smoke.  Agreed.  He is not playing that badly - a few too many picks, but part of that is trying hard to make something happen, without a true #1 guy he can target with AJ Green out.

Wonder if Denver will be on the phone seeking a trade.

Da' Bears should jump all over this.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Yeah, there's a guy on this board who would take him just for that, because he'd rather see a Bills QB throw for over 300 yards than a Bills win.

Da Bears have to take a look.

HuHH!   What!!??!!

Who!  When !

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I don't watch a lot of Bengals games, but it doesn't seem like QB play is really the problem......

It's not, that coach is a one and done. Dalton will find the grass is greener elsewhere and oh how they must want Marvin Lewis back in Cincy. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Funny how long it takes these organizations to realize Quarterback X isn't good enough.

How many years did Cinci waste spinning wheels with Dalton and Mavin Lewis before this?

How many years did Miami kill waiting for Tannehill to get good?

How many years will the Bills waste waiting for Josh Allen to be less "raw" and "gain experience"?  

We'll find out I guess!

Allen has 17 games played. Dalton 128.  Maybe somewhere in the middle is good.  To me the logical point to stop is when there is on further improvement and the status quo is not good enough.  Allen is far from that problem right now. 

2 hours ago, McBean said:

I’m gonna get crushed for this but throw them a 5th rounder for him.

Why?

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Cinci had about 2 seasons a few years back where their team had elite talent on both sides of the ball and probably should have gone deep into playoffs .   However,   they were always 1 and done . And I believe Dalton's play was a major contributor. 

I mean they had a playoff game won with McCarron until Vontaze Burfect starting head hunting 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Are we in that different of a situation than the Bears?  I guess you gotta give Allen the rest of the year, but I’d absolutely go after Dalton in the off-season if Allen doesn’t progress.  

Glad you arent running the team

Josh has gotten MUCH better this year. Far more consistent. His biggest issue has been ball security which I'm sure will be a point of emphasis going forward for him. I'm not crowning him yet, but the Bills would be crazy to move on from him for Andy Dalton

And I like Dalton

2 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I don't watch a lot of Bengals games, but it doesn't seem like QB play is really the problem......

I think you're correct about the QB play.  He has pretty good stats given that they have no o-line and bad defense.  Problem in Cincinnati is the ownership.  Brown is a knuckle dragger and should have sold the team years ago.  Dalton will be around the league for a while yet.  He would be an immediate upgrade for Denver, Washington, Tampa Bay, Titans, and Chicago.  He could be an effective bridge guy for any of those teams if they are developing young players.

• Like (+1) 1

Trying to gauge the mind set of the Bengals GM. Its very possible tanking for Tua may have entered the thought process. Thus the Dalton benching. So do you want to trade away arguably the best supporting cast player on the roster. Probably not. Would a QB like Tua change Greens mind set, probably so IMO.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Funny how long it takes these organizations to realize Quarterback X isn't good enough.

How many years did Cinci waste spinning wheels with Dalton and Mavin Lewis before this?

How many years did Miami kill waiting for Tannehill to get good?

How many years will the Bills waste waiting for Josh Allen to be less "raw" and "gain experience"?  

We'll find out I guess!

If someone has been a complete bust since December 2, 2018 they should be cut not a veteran.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I got fired on my 30th lol

I got a call once at home on my birthday that I was being laid off and no need to go to work, they would return my things (they did not return everything and I do not know if some heard about it and raided my desk or they filled the box and did not bother what did not fit). 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He is not the problem there. 

I don't think he's the solution either.

Which ... ultimately makes him a problem.

6 hours ago, london_bills said:

Sounds like josh Allen?

No. Allen is the type that can be really good no matter what he has around him, or really bad no matter what he has around him.

9 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Glad you arent running the team

Josh has gotten MUCH better this year. Far more consistent. His biggest issue has been ball security which I'm sure will be a point of emphasis going forward for him. I'm not crowning him yet, but the Bills would be crazy to move on from him for Andy Dalton

And I like Dalton

We have a much tougher schedule next year. If the team plays like they have this year, against pretty bad teams, we will be tough to win more than 8 games. 

Dalton wouldn’t be a straight het swap. He’d be an insurance policy incase Allen doesn’t assert himself as a top half QB in the NFL. We can save the season, and move on the following year. 

8 hours ago, Figster said:

Trying to gauge the mind set of the Bengals GM. Its very possible tanking for Tua may have entered the thought process. Thus the Dalton benching. So do you want to trade away arguably the best supporting cast player on the roster. Probably not. Would a QB like Tua change Greens mind set, probably so IMO.

FA is before the draft.  Green has to make his decision before knowing what QB they take 

• Thank you (+1) 1