How should we address WR?

How should we address WR?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather?

• Trade up for MHJ, Nabers or Odunze (2024 1st, 2024 2nd, 2025 1st, 2025 2nd)
    • Go up for BTJ (2024 1st, 2024 4th, 2025 2nd)
    • Stay put and take a WR at 28, double dip and possibly trade up from 60 to 33-40
    • Take a WR at 28, go with a different position at 60
    • Other, please list.
    • Trade back and then take a WR RD2.
    • Trade for a Veteran WR

How do you guys think Beane will handle the situation? Usually he likes to fill all of our holes in free agency so we can go BPA in the draft but at this point I think he may have to draft out of need.

Will he go up, down, stay put? What do you guys think? I think because of the Diggs trade, Beane better walk away from this draft with multiple WRs for Josh otherwise he may have egg on his face.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Like (+1) 2

I believe OBD has a few plans but the most likely scenario would involve a WR at 28 or a trade down from 28 into top of 2nd thus picking up a 3rd Rd pick as well.  Do see OBD picking 2 WRs; one with their 1st pick  (at 28 or lower) and another later but before pick 150.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, freddyjj said:

I believe OBD has a few pans but the most likely scenario would involve a WR at 28 or a trade down from 28 into top of 2nd thus picking up a 3rd Rd pick as well.  Do see OBD will pick 2 WRs one with their 1st pick  (at 28 or lower) and another later but before pick 150.

I just added this to the poll, thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

I am honestly thinking Brian Thomas is the right pick at the right spot. There are enough weapons out there (Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook) that not everything needs to flow through him immediately but looks pro ready enough to win 1 on 1 if against most #2 CB

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Other.  Trade back from 28 for a team that wants an OT or Penix/Nix.  Take whoever is left from Legette,  Mitchell, Franklin, or Worthy.  Double dip in the 3rd or 4th round.  

They'll be nothing left wr-wise by the 3rd round after the 2nd run on wrs is over. And we can still double dip this year trading up a little for BTJ then trade up in the 2nd for maybe Legette?  It can be done....

• Like (+1) 1

I would like a move up to get your guy, but I'm not wagering two drafts.  The extra 2nd in 2025 makes you a bit flexible with next years first round pick.  But I do think we still need 3 picks in the first 4 rounds, as well as more picks than normal.  I think I'd like to see 8 players picked total - WR, WR, CB, DT, DE, OG, S, RB maybe (I think RB can possibly be UDFA), 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They'll be nothing left wr-wise by the 3rd round after the 2nd run on wrs is over. And we can still double dip this year trading up a little for BTJ then trade up in the 2nd for maybe Legette?  It can be done....

There's always people that slip through cracks because teams have depth and don't want to draft a WR6/7 in the 3rd round.  Shakir was drafted in the 5th - while pre draft i felt like he was right in that same window with guys like Robinson and Moore who went like 100 picks ahead of him.  

53 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I believe OBD has a few plans but the most likely scenario would involve a WR at 28 or a trade down from 28 into top of 2nd thus picking up a 3rd Rd pick as well.  Do see OBD picking 2 WRs; one with their 1st pick  (at 28 or lower) and another later but before pick 150.

With all due respect…have you seen Beane in the first round?  We are most likely trading up imo. We have the ammo to do it to get a stud to replace diggs

• Like (+1) 3

i think it's  significant that the Bears are hosting Xavier Worthy on a 30 visit.  They are not taking him at 9.  And they don't pick again until 75.  You don't bring that guy in if you're not considering him.  They may have something in place with the Bills.  By the way, I am with Joe Marino.  Trading up significantly in the first for a non QB usually does not work.  

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

With all due respect…have you seen Beane in the first round?  We are most likely trading up imo. We have the ammo to do it to get a stud to replace diggs

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

i think it's  significant that the Bears are hosting Xavier Worthy on a 30 visit.  They are not taking him at 9.  And they don't pick again until 75.  You don't bring that guy in if you're not considering him.  They may have something in place with the Bills.  By the way, I am with Joe Marino.  Trading up significantly in the first for a non QB usually does not work.  

Marino’s pretty good, I follow him loosely on YouTube. I tip my hat also to Cover1.

Edited by Victory Formation
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

This about where I am at. If they don't like who is available at 28, trade back. If they like who is there at 28, go get him. Don't really like the idea of trading draft capital to move up with so many positions that need bodies. Want to see a strong influx of young talent at multiple positions. We need to get younger. Selling draft capital to get one WR is not worth it if we have to keep bringing in broken down older players to fill holes.

• Like (+1) 2

There is one big option not listed - get a veteran (either FA or via trade) who can be considered an upgrade on Diggs, and then take a good non-diva WR in the second (who could be considered an improvement over Gabe).  This would give us an attempt at upgrading year over year- not a rebuilding year.

Veteran trade targets include high tier J Jefferson/B Aiyuk/DK Metcalf/DHop or a FA like OBJ is also possible.

Non- divas in the second could be McConkey/Coleman/Legette/Franklin types

For me it will be interesting to see what Beane does this year with regards to moving up. We have moved into the Josh Allen cap years so I assume he will be less aggressive in the first day and probably the second. Not having the third this year does restrict him somewhat and while possible he could spend some 2025 capital this year instead but I wouldn't bet on it.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Trade for Justin Jefferson.  Minnesota is in full rebuild mode and a single WR won't get it done.  Give them #28 and a fourth this year, and give them back their #2 in 2025.  That should be enough.  

28 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

There is one big option not listed - get a veteran (either FA or via trade) who can be considered an upgrade on Diggs, and then take a good non-diva WR in the second (who could be considered an improvement over Gabe).  This would give us an attempt at upgrading year over year- not a rebuilding year.

Veteran trade targets include high tier J Jefferson/B Aiyuk/DK Metcalf/DHop or a FA like OBJ is also possible.

Non- divas in the second could be McConkey/Coleman/Legette/Franklin types

Thank you. Added.

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m either team “big move up” or team “2 guys by 50.” I want either one of the big 3 (and another WR shortly thereafter) or 2 of the next 8.

I like 2 of the next 8 approach. Preferably 2 primary boundary types.  Gives our offense more versatility and 2 cost controlled contracts for multiple seasons.

The top 3 are near "can't miss" prospects/ability to be elite.  But I think that's going to cost way too much, not a fan of trading that much draft capital.

Especially with a deep/talented/versatile collection of Tier2/3 guys, I think we will find some solid talent to add to our current arsenal of short/intermediate weapons.

Next year's extra 2nd round pick and all of this year's picks are burning a whole in Beane's pocket. I'm sure he is dreaming of trading up and getting "his guy" because he just knows he'll hit on his guy - even if there is no case for it in a deep WR class.

• Agree 1

It’s missing the option of only trading up for MHJ. I’m staying put at 28 if I can’t get Harrison. He’s the only guy I’d make a big move for. I don’t think there’s enough separation with the others to justify moving up. Harrison is going to be special, the rest have equal boom/bust potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Yes, unless someone puts Beane in a straight jacket so he can’t get to his phone, he gets antsy waiting for picks and will even move up just a couple spots to get the guy he wants.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Draft Xavier Legette at 28. Draft BPA later on.

I believe he would be a good fit vs. need at WR because I think the Bills need an AJ Brown type of bigger, physical receiver that fights for the ball  and Legette is one of the receivers in the draft class that fits this need.  

8 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It’s missing the option of only trading up for MHJ. I’m staying put at 28 if I can’t get Harrison. He’s the only guy I’d make a big move for. I don’t think there’s enough separation with the others to justify moving up. Harrison is going to be special, the rest have equal boom/bust potential. 

He’s certainly 1 for me too. The biggest difference between MHJ and the other top guys is that he’s basically “bust proof.” He has a HOF pedigree, elite physical traits and is polished. He’s also come through a WR factory and we have watched those guys transition seamlessly into the NFL. In my opinion, Harrison’s floor is Amari Cooper’s career. Basically, he will always be a top 10ish WR. At his ceiling he is a HOF player. There are other guys in this draft with that upside but they all come with a lower floor. 

• Agree 2

Stockpile them in this deep wr class and provide Allen with better blocking, so the WRs can be better utilized. If the draftees don't do well, repeat the same in 2025. This can and should be done without stupidly giving away draft picks ala Whaley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I voted "Other".  I would like the Bills to take a WR either first or second round, but I want the Bills to go BPA at #28 even if that's not a WR, possibly moving up a few spots to get the prospect they want.   While the late first round is a good place to pick a premium S or IOL with the potential to become a difference maker, rather than taking a WR with less potential simply to fill a need, I'm flexible as to positions such DL.  This is a such a deep WR draft that the Bills should be able to get a good WR prospect in the second round even if they have to trade up a few spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane's first round M.O. has been to move up to get a guy they like, if there is a chance the player isn't going to get to them.  It will all depend on who they like and where that player or players are likely to be selected.  A lot of people expect 5 QB's and as many as 6 OT's going in the first round.  If that happens, a good receiver should fall within range to move up.  With 10 draft picks this year and the extra second rounder next year, Beane has the capital to make a couple of moves.  I'll be surprised if they actually select more than 7 players.  The other picks will probably be used to move around.  

If there isn't a player available to them at 28 that they like at that price, a trade back could happen.  I believe that Beane really wants to gain a pick before the end of the third round and those two factors could motivate him to trade back.

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Stay at 28. If Brian Thomas Jr. starts to fall in the 20’s I’d trade up for him. Otherwise stay at 28 take the best WR available and sign a veteran WR Post June 1st. Tyler Boyd or OBJ

or Michael Thomas.