Diggs traded to Texans for picks

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So let me get this straight...

We got a 2nd round pick(the Vikings) and traded Diggs, a 4th rounder this year and a 5th rounder next year? AND just took a $31 million cap hit this year too?

Are you fvcking kidding me?? Where is the money coming from to do this?

Now we are like $25 million over the cap again.

Diggs cap hit is like $28m. His dead cap is $31m. A difference of $3m. Moving him only adds $3m to the books this year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Let's see what happens in the draft or even with further trades. I'm not currently concerned. He was less vital with Joe Brady. Shakir is emerging (but no he'll never be a dominant #1), Kincaid is going to be really good, and there is extra draft ammunition to move way up if we want. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, skibum said:

It was already looking like a proper rebuild, but I think the fans were in denial. Now there’s no hiding it. Unless Beane has something up his sleeve - like flipping this pick for some other vet WR1, Josh Allen will be throwing to a bunch of rooks and jags this year.

You don’t think Beane has plans to get better?

49 minutes ago, BBFL said:

JFC. 

Not good. This could be a problem. Is Curtis Samuel really filling that role?

clearly not the plan.

Wont be shocked if we are trading up for a bigger name in the draft with that ammo. 

a 1 and 2 plus who knows what else (or next years 1 and we keep the extra 2) might get you up to the WR3 or 4 off the board and those are guys you expect to be a true WR1 at this level. 

Just now, cale said:

In what planet does this make sense?

1) 2025 2nd round pick

2) 31M in dead cap space

Our draft better be a 10/10. Or they just plan to tank.

Keenen Allen was just traded for a 4th rounder. Getting a 2025 2nd rounder isn't bad in comparison. Both aging WRs. 

$31M of dead space is what it is. Now go look at what it does for the cap space in 2025.

This is a move that hurts now but may pay dividends for a long time to come. Let the plan play out. Best case it works well. Worst case they messed up, we lose a year and many that want McD/Beane gone are closer to their wish.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why would we not wait until after June 1st to lessen the blow if there was no picks we were getting in this draft?  That makes no sense to me

So you can use the 2025 pick this year to trade up. If they don't use it then it makes less sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

The group that absolutely hates this move, and is acting as if we just lost Jerry Rice in his prime - these are the same folks that said he was washed for the entire second half of last year, right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

why? KC traded Tyreek who was arguably more important to their team at the time and then won 2 SB's 

when the bills build a defense that wins games in the post season wr wont even be a talking point here anymore.

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I really don’t understand how the finances of this actually worked.

I don't think Spotrac is fully up to date yet some of the numbers still look wonky. Stef is listed as a Texan but on the Bills roster still and his dead cap number is blank, but they have some pre/post June 1 numbers that don't make a ton of sense. 

But effectively trading Stef will add an additional $3M to our cap number this year. I forget next years number, but I think this free's up between $5-10M. Because of the restructure Houston is basically only on the hook for Diggs base salary in terms of cap dollars. In general base salaries aren't guaranteed unless you are on the roster, so Houston should be able to move on fairly cheaply if they don't want to pay Diggs $18M anymore. 

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree with that.  Trading your obvious top WR for nothing doesn’t help in the near term at all.  Diggs 100000000% wants to win.  Cutting through all the noise that is what comes through loud and clear.  Allen has taken to partying the last few years.  Deny it all anyone wants but it is true.  He has immense talent and he gives his all on the field but that hasn’t been enough because he screws around too much.  Now our receivers will know what happens if you try to push 17 to work harder/be better.  A franchise realistically has to build around the QB but the QB needs to work.

That's fair.  Allen isn't what's holding this team up, but here's how I see it, which aligns with your statements.  

Again, this is MY OPINION based upon the circumstantial evidence.  Allen is a pretty simple guy, and by simple I mean pretty down to earth.  Fame/fortune hasn't seemed to alter him like it does so many that have what he's gotten.  He's also incredibly bright, and, this is key, he too knows what's going on behind the scenes with the team etc., but he's also classy enough to keep it in house.  He loves golf, to the extent that, again, IMO, if he could choose between professional golf and football, he'd have chosen golf.  He spends his entire offseason golfing, around the world now, by his own statements.  

He's looking forward to a nice post-retirement where he can play golf, not one in which he's so beat up that it pains and hurts him to play golf.  His playing style, meaning all the running that the team encourages to make up for it's failures and inadequacies in their offensive ... regimen let's just say, isn't going to be possible in several more seasons, say once he exits his prime in five years or so.  Unless he has a stellar OL and top WRs to make his life easier, I see him retiring early to play golf and enjoy his retirement, particularly if he continues on with Steinfeld.  

I'll add another perspective to it.  We, meaning McBeane, and realizing that Beane is at least somewhat directed by McD, the guy that essentially hired him, haven't exactly done much to ensure that our generational franchise QB gets all the tools and protection that he needs.  Put another way, the team in that way is no different than Allen taking the summers off to play golf, right.  So maybe he's "taking a cue" from that and that's his way of quietly saying, you guys aren't doing anything to create the offense that I'd like to lead, or much to help me, while you're perenially tinkering with your D trying to maintain its #1 status, despite the fact that it plays like the 20th ranked status in the playoffs while I kill myself trying to win in the playoffs while simultaneously taking ALL of the media heat for failing to do so, while our illustrious head coach takes nearly none, so why should I do anything more in the interests of our offense when my efforts aren't being met as it is by the team/staff.  

That's just MO, I'm sure I'll be told how wrong it is, no need to people to jump on it.  But, and I've never said this before here, but my position is that he's not going to be playing beyond his current contract.  He's got more than enough money, his family isn't hurting and has their own business, his squeeze may have more than he has, he hates the stuff that comes with fame and wants to be down-to-earth, not a hoity spotlight type but can't right now.  

We'll see how it shakes out, but IMO the team's digging its own grave with him in that way.  

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

That's a big maybe, considering how late those picks could be. Took me the same time to come up with that response.

According to this thread the Bills are going to be a dumpster fire next year without Diggs 🤷‍♂️ I'm just deferring to the experts on here.  Bills will obviously suck next year so, pretty attractive draft picks.  If you can do it, and hypothetically get MHJ. I'd say do it.  The Bills have done everything else with this franchise except mortgage their future by trading picks away.  I say let's try that route.

It took you a half second to formulate a response to a question you had no idea how to answer....impressive

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You assume they take a step back - I do not see it that way - Diggs was a non factor in the second half of the season.  The Bills have the opportunity to upgrade and move on.

He had 4 games under 30 yards receiving. That can be replaced 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told last year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

I remember your stories going back to last season. It really soured me on Diggs. Im not too upset about this.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Not impressed by this trade at all. 

You don't have a legit number 1, your number 2 left in FA, and don't have an early 1st round draft pick to grab one of the best WRs. Oh, and plenty of dead cap to go with it, unless I missed something (which I may have, didn't read the whole thread).

If they can't get a top WR, I hope they go OL so Josh will have more time to find these underwhelming receivers & for them to get open.

They paid him his roster bonus about a month ago. This has to be a reaction move to what he said about Allen just a night or 2 ago about how he "made" Allen or something like that. I feel as though Beane and company thought enough was enough 

So, for awhile, I was going w/ "Diggs was hurt & we didn't know much about it" as to why his production dropped last year.

Now, I've decided to switch to "he got old, and his best days are behind him."

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

You know what, now is a good time to spill the beans on what I was told last year - In the home Patriots game, Diggs chose to sit out the first drive of the 2nd half because he was upset with Allen's play in the 1st half. It wasn't an injury or part of the game plan. He decided to screw over his team and sit out a drive because he couldn't get over himself.

I suspect other stories like this will come out in the coming days. A couple aren't mine to tell. Guy was a total headcase and a major distraction in more ways than one.

I text my friend that after the long bomb TD catch, Diggs just high 5 teammates and jogged off the field….I said something is up.  Diggs didn’t seem into it anymore.

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A 2025 2nd round pick! 

Beane got had.

This is all to placate McD's fragile ego. 

This is really stupid move for this year.

Only way Beane recovers from this is to mortgage multiple picks to move up and get one of the top 3 WR. 

Sad sad day when you chose the loser HC over the guy that was the heart and soul of the team for years. 

If you’re on a team or in an organization, and Diggs is your “heart and soul,” you should run.  We often allow destructive behavior to be cloaked by the adjective “passionate.”

Just now, stlbills13 said:

Let's see what happens in the draft or even with further trades. I'm not currently concerned. He was less vital with Joe Brady. Shakir is emerging (but no he'll never be a dominant #1), Kincaid is going to be really good, and there is extra draft ammunition to move way up if we want. 

Bills absolutely need someone to win deep routes.  But they didn’t have that with Diggs.

They have 3 guys who can win routes underneath and intermediate now 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What a joke. The best receiver we’ve had in 20 years and away he goes. Pathetic. Looks like more of a step back this season than I thought. 

Perfect time to get Marvin Harrison JR

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

No one is going to like what I am going to say but,

This reminds me of Tony Romo and T.O.....Now I am not comparing players just the situation.  Allen is light years better than Romo and Owens was much better than Diggs.

the similarity I see is Romo was a young player and could not tell Owens to cool it with his nonsense because Owens was a hall of famer who played with steve young..etc.....Romo had to sit back and let him say whatever he wanted at all times and tolerate his act on the field because if he dared to put him in his place the media would have swooped in and started a feud....(which actually happened in 08)

all the new wr will be forced to listen to Allen, Diggs was never going to because he is an ego maniac and is older than Allen even though he has never really accomplished anything Diggs carries himself like he has.

it sucks they didn't get at least a pick for this year and moved a fourth rounder along with him.  The trade feels like the bills were desperate to move him because he is such a weirdo ego maniac who always speaks in code and can not ever credit anyone else.

so this seems to me like they are now going to package that 2nd rounder next year to move up in the first this year....or to get a 3 or two 3's this year.

I agree.  Allen is/was not the get in your face and lead type.  Maybe that was because he was sort of speak Diggs little big brother.  That relationship was not one where Allen was an authority.  Maybe by removing the older vets it pushes Allen to being a leader. By not having history with those around him it wont feel forced or out of place.  Again this was not a 21 Sundays of the year move.  This was the other 344 days of the year move.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

He became a supreme a-hole and they were tired of his act.  I’m not the least bit surprised by the trade based on what I’ve heard about this guy.  

Its not the trade that is a surprise, I fully expected him to be traded next offseason.  The surprise was to do it now instead of after June 1st to reduce the cap hits given we didn't get back a draft pick in this draft.  

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If that’s the case then good riddance. There has to be more since Beane and Josh have been giving him votes of confidence in the media. Diggs will have a good year with Houston but then fall off the map. I don’t think he will pull that with Ryan as his coach but who knows because once a diva always a diva. 

• Agree 1

I’m sure there’s a reason why Beane got a second round draft pick. I wouldn’t doubt the Bills have a deal in place with a team to move up in the draft and a second round pick is part of the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

I agree.  Allen is/was not the get in your face and lead type.  Maybe that was because he was sort of speak Diggs little big brother.  That relationship was not one where Allen was an authority.  Maybe by removing the older vets it pushes Allen to being a leader. By not having history with those around him it wont feel forced or out of place.  Again this was not a 21 Sundays of the year move.  This was the other 344 days of the year move.  

Very Well said.

4 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Question.

We eat only 4 million this year, not the 31 million?

How does the 31 million dead money on 2024 play out?

Using round numbers it is $28M on the roster $31M off the roster. Effectively trading Diggs only costs us an additional $3M compared to keeping him. 

I actually thought this would receive more positive reaction. 

I will always be appreciative of Diggs contribution to our turnaround and helping Josh assert himself as a top 2 qb. I enjoyed the run.

I absolutely believe that there is a plan in place. 

Trade up is very likely or assuredly double dipping in whats projected as one of the most talented WR drafts.

I don't think it will be a cataclysmic drop-off.

We're getting younger during Josh's prime and it will help sustain it for the foreseeable future.

Just now, Augie said:

Maddy Glab and I are relieved that we no longer have him around forcing us to “like him.” It felt kinda dirty after a while. 

All great NFL WRs are completely bonkers and head cases.  Love Diggs he was tremendous for this franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffblue said:

If all we're eating is an additional 4 million cap hit this year to get free next year, I'm not horribly upset by this. Need to see what comes next

WGR is saying we're eating 31 million. Who's right??

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If that’s the case then obviously a lot of the times he stood on the sidelines at key moments is telling. 

Thank you for sharing but thank you more for not tainting and throwing shade to a player who is on our team. Respect to you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Its not the trade that is a surprise, I fully expected him to be traded next offseason.  The surprise was to do it now instead of after June 1st to reduce the cap hits given we didn't get back a draft pick in this draft.  

The draft is before June 1. Thats why.

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Not impressed by this trade at all. 

You don't have a legit number 1, your number 2 left in FA, and don't have an early 1st round draft pick to grab one of the best WRs. Oh, and plenty of dead cap to go with it, unless I missed something (which I may have, didn't read the whole thread).

If they can't get a top WR, I hope they go OL so Josh will have more time to find these underwhelming receivers & for them to get open.

We didn’t have a #1 last year either and our #3 was a #4 at best.  I’m honestly surprised we got anything for Diggs looking at his last 10 games.