Justin Fields traded to Steelers

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

Maybe not but it's not like it's some prohibitive figure that is going to doom them for multiple years.

So long as Mike Tomlin is coach, the Steelers will be just good enough to lack the ammo to get a top qb. What are they going to do next year after they finish 9-8 and Wilson sucks balls again? 

The same thing they did last year

6 minutes ago, JDubya76 said:

Not a high bar.

Yep but I mean to say it seems like they signed Wilson to be the starter and if they make it a real competition then I don't think he will be. Fields is what Wilson used to be 5 years ago

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Not for nothing did the Steelers get more for Pickett than they had sent to the bears for fields?

Fields is better and has more potential than pickett

But Pickett has more contract time left and less of a hit in the cap.

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

6th round pick? 😂 we should have grabbed him. 

Yes, we absolutely should have. I feel strongly that if Fields had better coaching he MAY make a significant leap. I followed him closely in college and know he has real upside.

11 minutes ago, Nitro said:

He fits that organization.   Sit behind Wilson and be ready to take over next year.

Shouldn’t he be ready this year ?

It’s his fourth year now … and I can’t see them picking up his fifth year option in May at $23m or whatever it is … 

He wont be on the team next year unless he beats out Wilson this year and earns a new contract…

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Shouldn’t he be ready this year ?

It’s his fourth year now … and I can’t see them picking up his fifth year option in May at $23m or whatever it is … 

He wont be on the team next year unless he beats out Wilson this year and earns a new contract…

I think the Steelers organization is looking long term.  He will be signed to a long term extension.  The QB draft class next year is lacking in talent compared to this year.

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

I think the Steelers organization is looking long term.  He will be signed to a long term extension.  The QB draft class next year is lacking in talent compared to this year.

Well… let’s see… like I a said ,,, I think he needs to earn the extension this year by beating out Wilson,,. Not sitting behind him..

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

if you’re “consistently trying to find an answer” at QB…..that’s not really “trying” very well

So what we were doing for 20 years if it’s so easy…?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So they basically flipped Pickett for Fields? That's a win for them.

Is it? If Justin Fields was any good the Chicago Bears a major market wouldn’t have gotten rid of him. I don’t see Justin Fields being a star. Is Field better than Kenny Pickett probably but there is a lot of who cares none of these guys are going to be the next Ben Roelisburger. The Pittsburgh Steelers are chasing a new franchise quarterback like the Buffalo Bills did when Jim Kelly retired. I don’t see anything the Steelers did that is better than what they had in Ben Roelisburger. It’s going to eventually cost Mike Tomlin his coaching job like it did with Bill Belichick when Tom Brady left the New England Patriots. You can’t win without an elite NFL franchise quarterback and unfortunately there is a short supply of franchise quarterbacks to go around. I think all these Steelers moves are a whole lot of nothing at the end of the day. The Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are going to have some losing like other teams in the NFL with no franchise quarterback. It’s about time let the Patriots and Steelers fans have to go 13 years without playoffs. The Patriots and Steelers haven’t been scary bad in a long time and it’s time they start losing like everyone else in the NFL in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

LOL

Thats insane. They said Wilson was starting hence the Kenny Pickett displeasure… Who’s starting now?

IMO 90% Wilson.

But hopefully Fields can take a page from the Jordan Love playbook and use the time on the bench to get a lot better over time. Hopefully for Pittsburgh anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

Not for nothing did the Steelers get more for Pickett than they had sent to the bears for fields?

Fields is better and has more potential than pickett

No he isn’t.  He looks lost and confused every series he is on the field.  He so is not a Pittsburgh guy.  If he was good the Bears would not have traded him for a 6th round pick.  Not that the Bears have a clue.  They signed Tremaine Edmonds for $72 mill. 😂😂

Pickett hasn’t been great.  But the offense the Steelers were running w him was god awful.  Tomlin is overrated.  Maybe it’s the big silver cross he wears.  

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol Steelers.

their QB room since Big Ben left…..

Typically happens when your franchise QB goes. Days of having quality backups at QB are long for most part. Packers let Rogers go rather than wait and lose Love.

Edited by Radar
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Nitro said:

I think it should be a requirement to include the money figures when making a comment like this 

9 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Is it? If Justin Fields was any good the Chicago Bears a major market wouldn’t have gotten rid of him. I don’t see Justin Fields being a star. Is Field better than Kenny Pickett probably but there is a lot of who cares none of these guys are going to be the next Ben Roelisburger. The Pittsburgh Steelers are chasing a new franchise quarterback like the Buffalo Bills did when Jim Kelly retired. I don’t see anything the Steelers did that is better than what they had in Ben Roelisburger. It’s going to eventually cost Mike Tomlin his coaching job like it did with Bill Belichick when Tom Brady left the New England Patriots. You can’t win without an elite NFL franchise quarterback and unfortunately there is a short supply of franchise quarterbacks to go around. I think all these Steelers moves are a whole lot of nothing at the end of the day. The Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are going to have some losing like other teams in the NFL with no franchise quarterback. It’s about time let the Patriots and Steelers fans have to go 13 years without playoffs. The Patriots and Steelers haven’t been scary bad in a long time and it’s time they start losing like everyone else in the NFL in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Is it? If Justin Fields was any good, the Chicago Bears, a major market, wouldn’t have gotten rid of him. I don’t see Justin Fields being a star. Is Field better than Kenny Pickett? Probably, but there is a lot of who cares? None of these guys are going to be the next Ben Roelisburger.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are chasing a new franchise quarterback like the Buffalo Bills did when Jim Kelly retired. I don’t see anything the Steelers did that is better than what they had in Ben Roelisburger. It’s going to eventually cost Mike Tomlin his coaching job, like it did with Bill Belichick when Tom Brady left the New England Patriots. You can’t win without an elite NFL franchise quarterback and unfortunately there is a short supply of franchise quarterbacks to go around.

I think all these Steelers moves are a whole lot of nothing at the end of the day. The Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are going to have some losing like other teams in the NFL with no franchise quarterback. It’s about time to let the Patriots and Steelers fans have to go 13 years without playoffs. The Patriots and Steelers haven’t been scary bad in a long time, and it’s time they start losing like everyone else in the NFL. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

[Grammar and paragraphing is courtesy, see how that works? It also increases the chance that folks will read what you have to say.]

Edited by Dr. Who

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s all just flailing.  

i think Wilson will surprise.  If he doesn’t, bringing in Fields to resurrect the moribund QB position in Pittsburgh is as bad a decision as it was in Chicago

If a team doesn't find itself a franchise QB -- somebody on the level of Flacco or Cousins in their prime or a Tua or Purdy -- they have virtually no shot at anything beyond maybe backing into a wildcard berth and being 1 and done.   Statistically, about half of the QBs taken in the first round of any draft fail to become franchise QBs despite being given every opportunity (sometimes multiple ones) to do so.  For QBs taken on Day 2 or 3 of the draft, the chances are miniscule.   Finding a franchise QB is finding the proverbial needle in a haystack, which is why teams like the Browns and Broncos mortgaged their futures to grab "proven" ones.

The Stillers have grabbed a "proven" QB as well as a young QB who has shown some flashes for practically nothing in terms of what other teams have spent to acquire one of either type.   It may not work out but if it doesn't, they aren't shackled by their gambles. 

I always liked Russell Wilson, so I hope that you are right.    I would like to see Russ take the Stillers (my second favorite team) to the AFC Conference Championship game only to lose to the Bills in January.