Looks like Leonard Floyd won't give the Bills a discount to resign him.

Gregg

The reality is this is how many teams operate, especially with a franchise QB. There will be a bunch of guys on 1 year prove it deals. Floyd proved it, he doesn’t owe the Bills anything, he deserves to get paid by someone. He will move on and the Bills will find another guy on a 1 year prove it deal.

Thats what the salary cap does-you have a small handful of guys you give big deals to, the team has their rookie deal guys, then everyone else is on these 1-2 year deals 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What narrative about him did he dispel that will make him more attractive?    

You aren't making sense about the "draft bust" thing being a knock on him coming into his age 31 season.   He cleared that "draft bust" notion like 5-6 years ago.

He had a hot start to the 2023 season but totally vanished in the last 7 games.    

That isn't likely to be lost on prospective employers who are generally loathe to pay 32-33 year old non-HOF pass rushers any significant money.

A one-word synopsis of what he put on tape during that stretch is "washed".   It may be because of injury but it was what it was.

I don't see the Bills even giving Floyd another $9M 1 year deal.........but Beane isn't great with the cap so we can't rule it out.

He was absolutely considered a bust before he signed with the Rams. The Bears flat out released him before he signed on with the Rams.

I was saying that he was considered a bust before going to the Rams - not now. And after the Rams, I think there was some thought that his success there had more to do with Aaron Donald taking so much attention away from him. That led to teams not being as hot on him and him coming here on a 1 year deal to prove it wasn't just being next to Donald.

He did fall off a bit down the stretch, but he was banged up. But for the majority of the season on a new team, he did look just as good here as he did in LA.

On the other hand, much like last season, it's a pretty deep class for Pass Rushers in FA. So he may once again find himself with a smaller market than he hopes for.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was coming off a 9 sack season and still available pretty late into FA. I don't expect that to change being a year older now. I'd say there is a chance we see him back on a one or two year deal a bit later in the FA cycle. A 2 year deal with a small pay bump makes sense.

agreed. He is going to get a short term deal from any team. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He was coming off a 9 sack season and still available pretty late into FA. I don't expect that to change being a year older now. I'd say there is a chance we see him back on a one or two year deal a bit later in the FA cycle. A 2 year deal with a small pay bump makes sense.

He probably was choosy last season and think he more concerned with a chance at a title combined with a fair contract. He could do the same this off-season.

It’s early Floyd might be available later. I still say we cut loose Von in March and save 6 million this year—-dead cap be damned. He will get his first sack in November or December. Too little —too late. Follow the rams, they cut loose the old and brought in kids, still had a pretty good D. Coach will have to to get off the old vet BS. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, boyst said:

in a dream world we can ditch Von and give that money to the guys who deserved it. Floyd, AJE, Jones, and more.

Entire dline disappeared against the Chiefs. No need to worry about who stays and goes from the current group. 

• Agree 1

I loved the signing when it happened. Had me legit excited it was one that was late kinda low key and thought it was great and he had a really good season. But he definitely faded as the year went along and pretty much vanished over the last 4 games or so. I think he's a guy that can be good for a team but I believe his age is catching up to him. He fading late in season is usually the first sign of the decline then its constant nagging injuries then they are done.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

It’s early Floyd might be available later. I still say we cut loose Von in March and save 6 million this year—-dead cap be damned. He will get his first sack in November or December. Too little —too late. Follow the rams, they cut loose the old and brought in kids, still had a pretty good D. Coach will have to to get off the old vet BS. 

This team needs to get younger starting this year.  

I appreciate all the thoughts in this thread. I trust the Bills will make their decision based on the best interests of the team . I had a fangirl crush on him after I saw this photo and his dominant play in 2023. Why it fell off down the stretch is both the rub and qualifying question in all of this. It won't be a unanimous decision either way regardless wether we keep him or not

All I can say  Damn he is FINE y'all 🙂

anothertry.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

He signed very late and may have turned down better offers early then had to settle…

I don’t think they will even want him back next season… they need a longer term solution ..

Somewhat true, but no matter how much draft capitol we throw at pass rushers, it hasn’t come to us through the draft.

1 hour ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

Somewhat true, but no matter how much draft capitol we throw at pass rushers, it hasn’t come to us through the draft.

Similar to drafting QBs from 1985-2017….. maybe we should just stop drafting them?  

no.  

21 hours ago, Success said:

Can't see him staying.  A team w/ more cap will offer him more.

He was awesome for us, regardless. Wish him well wherever he may go.

And heck...at least a better status in the comp pick formula!

5 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

No it hasn't 

After 3 full seasons Rousseau is averaging 5.5 sacks....AJE after 4 seasons is averaging 3.8 sacks.  If they were game wreckers we'd know it by now.  Basham was worthless as is Shaq.

9 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

He was great early on but had one sack in his final 8 games including absolutely nothing in the playoffs so thank you for you service and goodbye!

I love what Leonard meant out of the gate but that 1 sack in his last 8 games speaks volumes.  Time to draft a pass rusher.

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I love what Leonard meant out of the gate but that 1 sack in his last 8 games speaks volumes.  Time to draft a pass rusher.

I don’t disagree … but how many picks we got again? That makes 2 receivers, Safety, Edge, DT and maybe C… hope we can find a few on Day 3 …

Edited by Aussie Joe

On 1/25/2024 at 1:57 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah, and there were other veteran pass rushers available late into free agency, too. There will be some options.

• Agree 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:57 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah and he faded out in the end

I think Floyd is gone.  The Bills are stuck with Miller next season because he's too expensive to get rid of. Hopefully, he'll be fully recovered.  I'm also hoping that his lack of productivity this season had more to do with the lagging effects of his injury than his age.  As I'm reminded every day, you don't recover from old age.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.