Really good game for von to become von again

John from Riverside

It's sad seeing a once great athlete struggle.  However, I don't even think you should dress him at this point and I'm usually a glass half full guy.  Roll with Floyd, Rousseau, Lawson, and Epenesa.  I trust them more both in the pass rush and containing the edge (especially against a QB like Hurts).

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

It seems like Von's only move is the speed rush, which isn't working. Sorry, but last thing we need is Von and his deep rushes allowing huge lanes for Hurts to run.

My thought exactly. He and Epenesa both do it too much, but Epenesa is still agile enough to work back down sometimes and make plays on the edge after going upfield. Haven't seen that with Von yet this year, and Hurts needs to be contained. 

Having a spy on him will help contain, but it will also open up passing lanes against our already weak secondary.

Agree, this would be a great time for Von to be Von again I'm sure the brace was limiting some even if it was just reminding him that the knee still isn't full go.

While this is exactly the type of game we brought him in for and pre injury I would expect him to turn it up to his playoff level notch, I still think we are a couple weeks away. KC or Dallas games is where I've been thinking we see Von back to his Von-ness.

There have been 0 indicators that Von is on the verge of making any sort of impact. Watching him last week, he couldn't even beat anyone on the Jets putrid OL. Instead he kept trying to "speed rush" and would end up 5 yards past the QB. I'd rather Von play a heck of a lot less this week because that type of stupidity will leave Jalen Hurts running lanes to gash us on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

forrest gump running GIF

There might be something real about this,  I heard Sal (?) say on a Philly (?) podcast that Von was to wear that knee brace for a full year post surgery.  It may be coming off soon.  He may be more brave without the brace.😉

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They have been carefully bringing him along on a snap count the weeks now we need for our pass rush to the elite in order to beat the Eagles

Come on von

I seriously doubt Von will become von again.  Unfortunately this may go down as one of the worst FA signings amd contracts beane does.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They have been carefully bringing him along on a snap count the weeks now we need for our pass rush to the elite in order to beat the Eagles

Come on von

Everyone is frustrated with Von.  Instead of being the “closer” he’s now struggling to beat 3rd string tackles one-on-one.  

Like we saw with Tre, it sometimes takes a defensive player a full season after they return to get back to their old form.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see don’t see flashes of “the old Von” until next season

• Like (+1) 1

The expectations for Von coming of an ACL were always ridiculous.

I think you limit Von to 10 snaps a game or so and use him situationally so he can get some reps in and not hurt the team until he starts showing some burst.

It’s up to the coaches not to put him in on critical downs or say, 3rd and short against Cinci to hold an edge against the run. Pure idiocy by McD.

I think the best we can hope for is that if we make the playoffs he comes back to like 80% Von and can have some sort of impact.

I’d expect if he’s going to return to form it won’t be until next year, and that’s a big if.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Come on von

I would not count on it,  watching him against the Jets he still is just trying to go too wide and not trying to bend with some push around tackles.  That is because he does not have trust in that knee.  I don't see this changing much from one week ago,  it's going to take time.  Even White struggled last season with the same type injury after returning. 

Miller's a sweet talking charlatan. All his rah-rah talk gets old when you never deliver. First he was going to return for the playoff's (last year). Then be ready for the Season opener, then for game five. If anything he's regressed. He must think we all fell of the turnip truck. Actually some here have... Miller states "He's unabashedly constantly positive". Just admitting that tells you you need to ignore him... One of the worst signings in team history. He'll probably get his first sack in a garbage time game after the Bills are eliminated. Likely against the Patriots scrubs.        

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

None of us know where von can get to but if there is a chance for him to make an impact this season, he must play.

Can't we wait until he shows he can make an impact in practice? I would bet there are drills they could do to simulate game action. Not sure why he has to so slowly figure out what he's got left while taking up a spot on the field. It's like we're playing with 10 out there. He literally doesn't do anything. I would take any other option over him right now, until he proves it in practice. Hope I'm wrong this week, but I haven't been the last 6 weeks.

2 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I’m not counting on anything from Von until next year. I still don’t think he’s fully confident in his knee. He’s still wearing a knee brace. Only move he has right now is the straight ahead speed rush. 

Which, without pressure up the middle, is putting him 10 yard behind the QB when he rushes.  If someone (Joseph maybe?) could get a push up the middle, Von will get much closer.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.