Joe Brady's performance tonight

HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What I liked about Joe Brady from the start is that as soon as he was given the OC job, he wasted no time jumping head first into the position. We saw him throughout the week looking very active and hands-on at practices. A small thing but something the players surely noticed and responded to. Throughout the week at OBD and up in the booth today he looked in total command at all times.

As for his play calling, I love that he committed to what we do well and took some dead on arrival concepts out of the play book. No more forcing the ball to Davis downfield. No short yardage shotgun handoffs. On 4th and short he called an easy bootleg that we've converted for 1sts dozens of times, instead of various "coverage beaters" that have no cohesion. He committed to the run from start to finish even the run offense was stymied at times. He used plays to set things up for later - our failed end around early on led to a fake end around pulling the defense out of position on Ty Johnson's TD. He made it a point to get everyone other than Davis involved as pass catchers. Really just a stunning play calling performance for Brady from start to finish.

And the offensive players all looked a lot more upbeat and a lot more engaged on the field. We didn't let bad plays or stalled drives snowball into a rut that lasts for 30 minutes of game time. Getting some new energy in the room may have been exactly what this offense needed.

Most points allowed by the Jets D by opposing offense since early December 2021 when Philly scored 33(thank for the missed XP Bass) and most yards allowed by the Jets D this year.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen and Diggs are, obviously, our two most talented players and it seemed that Dorsey leaned on them.  Other guys made supplemental contributions but the offense relied on Allen-to-Diggs at critical times.

Today we won without Allen-to-Diggs being very effective.  Brady was able to put 32 points on the board against a top D without the key combo working.  I don't think Dorsey could have done that. 

I loved seeing Cook, Kincaid, Shakir and others making the offense work.  It turns out we have other weapons.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30+ against a top defense but it just felt different,  we dominated t.o.p and like others said, had rhythm and flow. I got excited mid week seeing him dancing and engaging with the O

He definitely came in oozing confidence and didn’t force feed 14 on an off night. Just kept the O in a good flow- Kincaid early, the run game, Shakir 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Allen and Diggs are, obviously, our two most talented players and it seemed that Dorsey leaned on them.  Other guys made supplemental contributions but the offense relied on Allen-to-Diggs at critical times.

Today we won without Allen-to-Diggs being very effective.  Brady was able to put 32 points on the board against a top D without the key combo working.  I don't think Dorsey could have done that. 

I loved seeing Cook, Kincaid, Shakir and others making the offense work.  It turns out we have other weapons.  

I think Brady actually schemed against the Jets weakness.  They focused on Diggs and the cover 2.  Other players were able to find separation.  The only dumb decision was calling the hail mary.  So far a very encouraging start for Joe.  Philly next....

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Don't know if we will ever know what was the problem with Dorsey/Allen.  I think Allen was given a say once he earned his 2nd contract as a proven franchise QB.  So I lean towards Brady maybe not giving Allen as much freedom to audible. And Josh was under center more than we usually seen him under Dorsey or even DaBoll if memory serves.   Didn't seem like Allen audibles as often as it appeared in some of our earlier games.

• Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What I liked about Joe Brady from the start is that as soon as he was given the OC job, he wasted no time jumping head first into the position, as if he had been the OC all along. His opening press conference was impressive and exuded confidence. We saw him throughout the week looking very active and hands-on at practices. A small thing but something the players surely noticed and responded to. Throughout the week at OBD and up in the booth today he looked in total command at all times.

As for his play calling, I love that he committed to what we do well and took some dead on arrival concepts out of the play book. No more forcing the ball to Davis downfield. No short yardage shotgun handoffs. On 4th and short he called an easy bootleg that we've converted for 1sts dozens of times, instead of various "coverage beaters" that have no cohesion. He committed to the run from start to finish even when the run offense was stymied at times. He used plays to set things up for later - our failed end around early on led to a fake end around pulling the defense out of position on Ty Johnson's TD. He made it a point to get everyone other than Davis involved as pass catchers which kept us in rhythm and the Jets defense off balance. Really just a stunning play calling performance for Brady from start to finish.

And the offensive players all looked a lot more upbeat and a lot more engaged on the field. We didn't let bad plays or stalled drives snowball into a rut that lasts for 30 minutes of game time. Getting some new energy in the room may have been exactly what this offense needed.

I was extremely pleased and encouraged.

However, and this is not to be doom and gloom, but the hardest thing OC’s have to do is recognize the season long chess match and adjust their tendencies to the defensive adjustments that are coming.

It wouldn’t surprise me for Brady to have 3-4 “easy” games to call. Where the trouble comes (and what Dorsey hugely struggled with) is when the defense has a counter punch. Dorsey himself, both seasons, had a pretty great opening 4-6 weeks. He could not figure out how to adjust when defenses started to take away what he liked.

I’m not sure Brady will either. But I’m pretty hopeful.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

What I liked about Joe Brady from the start is that as soon as he was given the OC job, he wasted no time jumping head first into the position, as if he had been the OC all along. His opening press conference was impressive and exuded confidence. We saw him throughout the week looking very active and hands-on at practices. A small thing but something the players surely noticed and responded to. Throughout the week at OBD and up in the booth today he looked in total command at all times.

As for his play calling, I love that he committed to what we do well and took some dead on arrival concepts out of the play book. No more forcing the ball to Davis downfield. No short yardage shotgun handoffs. On 4th and short he called an easy bootleg that we've converted for 1sts dozens of times, instead of various "coverage beaters" that have no cohesion. He committed to the run from start to finish even when the run offense was stymied at times. He used plays to set things up for later - our failed end around early on led to a fake end around pulling the defense out of position on Ty Johnson's TD. He made it a point to get everyone other than Davis involved as pass catchers which kept us in rhythm and the Jets defense off balance. Really just a stunning play calling performance for Brady from start to finish.

Well said, only thing about his playcalling that Dorsey had the same issue with is that a WR screen to Diggs hasn't done a productive thing all year. I wish they'd deep six that playcall

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think Brady actually schemed against the Jets weakness.  They focused on Diggs and the cover 2.  Other players were able to find separation.  The only dumb decision was calling the hail mary.  So far a very encouraging start for Joe.  Philly next....

So something that wasn't his decision?

• Haha (+1) 3

There is a lot we can get into with this game, the scheme, and the play calling.  Without the benefit of seeing the All-22 yet, some of the nuances won't even be picked up and talked about yet.  But, on first watch, there were definitely things that were easy to notice and some other more subtle things that made things easier for Allen.

While I am not going to get into all the specifics I saw until I can confirm them with the All-22, I will comment on some of the little things that added up.  First off, this was not an overhaul of what we've been seeing the last several weeks.  But, what we did was add little wrinkles to the plays we were running.  The more obvious things we saw today started with the use of motion.  Not just motion, but motion with a purpose.  Sure, we have used motion this season, but a lot of times it was just motion to motion.  Guys need to line up so we'd run someone across the formation.  Maybe you get an idea of if it is man or zone, but it was never to set anything up.  Right from the jump today, there was orbit motions and eye candy that hasn't been there all season.  But not just that, the motion was used to scheme guys open.  This was most evident on the Cook TD.  By motioning him and determining that is was man coverage, they immediately knew the route they were going to run.  There was no way Cook's speed that his guy was going to get all the way across the formation with all that trash and get there in time to make a play on the ball there.  That play design was a thing of beauty.  There were at least 3 plays I can remember that actively schemed a player open in this game which is about 3 more than we have had all season. 

They limited the amount of mesh concepts they ran today.  Dorsey's go to concept in almost every critical situation.  We knew it.  We all could see it.  But the defenses all knew this as well.  Today, I can't say that the didn't run it at all because I haven't seen the film yet, but it never came across to me as standing out pre snap that it was coming.  Throw in the fact that we were under center a lot more, spread the ball around, threw it to the backs, ran the ball effectively, no 4th and inches shotgun hand offs, etc. and, at least in this game, eliminated a lot of the "dumb" stuff we saw every week up until now.  Finally, the overall route spacing for the most part, was so much better.  Outside of Davis running a bad route here and there, you never saw 3 or 4 WRs in the same area like we have seen all season.  There are several more great things we could talk about, but this stuff alone made a big difference.  This was never about trying to reinvent the whole offense.  That isn't possible right now in the season.  But the added wrinkles and the use of concepts (ie. throwing to the backs consistently, a lot more spread, etc.) that have been underutilized to this point in the season might be enough to get some of the mojo back on offense.

Was it perfect?  No.  That QB draw with time running out in the half was a puzzling call.  I have no idea what they were doing there with so little time left.  Gabe Davis.  WOOF.  We are literally playing handicapped with him as our #2 WR.  He is very rarely open.  His decisions on option routes are terrible at times.  There are many plays he does more harm than good because he screws up the spacing of routes by choosing the wrong option.  Unfortunately, we are just stuck with him for the rest of the season.  Of course Brown got beat like a drum a few times and there were some untimely penalties.  But honestly, for a team that had 5 days to get ready for the best defense in the NFL with a brand new coordinator, it couldn't have gone much better.  But man, next week is an entirely different animal.  We're not going to be able to basically just shut things down for a quarter+ because we know the other team can't score.  The pedal will have to be firmly planted on the floor next week.  Going to be a very tough game to try and win on the road.

PS.  Dalton Kincaid is a dog.  He is getting better and better every week.  His first half was amazing today and if we needed more in the 2nd half, I am confident he would have a monster day.  But it isn't just the stats......his blocking is so much better than it was when the season started.  It is not perfect, but he is a willing blocker and doesn't shy away from it.  Shakir does not get in the end zone if not for his effort and blocking down the field.  He affected 3 tacklers on that play alone.  He is a stud and is only going to be better.  He is the 2nd best weapon on this team.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Gotta wonder what Brady has been thinking all season.  How do you sit there and watch your OC call plays you wouldn’t, and not call plays you would.  Gotta sit there and take it I guess.  

Wonder how much input he had in the offense?  Did Dorsey lean on him, or go his own way?  My guess is Dorsey went his own way.

Anyways, great game last night!  Let’s keep it up!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

It helped that the Jets' offense couldn't get out of its own way and our D dominated them.  That always makes things easier for an offense.

Keep in mind as well that that was the first appearance of the Brady schemed offense.  As the games continue, more video of our O will become available to opponents.  That shouldn't be discounted.

Very optimistic, but as we all realize, the gauntlet lies ahead.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Well said, only thing about his playcalling that Dorsey had the same issue with is that a WR screen to Diggs hasn't done a productive thing all year. I wish they'd deep six that playcall

I was getting frustrated with those screens early as well, but doing those early ended up spreading the defense out a bit and letting Josh throw in the middle of the field. He feasted there last night.

As far as the play calls themselves, I really liked his use of motion presnap. Not sure I've seen a game this year we've done that as much. All in all, Brady looked really good for a guy that hasn't called an offense in almost 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Gotta wonder what Brady has been thinking all season.  How do you sit there and watch your OC call plays you wouldn’t, and not call plays you would.  Gotta sit there and take it I guess.  

Wonder how much input he had in the offense?  Did Dorsey lean on him, or go his own way?  My guess is Dorsey went his own way.

Anyways, great game last night!  Let’s keep it up!  Go Bills!

Who even knows if Brady didn't see solutions but kept his mouth shut to see how it would play out? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Too much east and west stuff.  I was half expecting Trent Edwards to run out on the field.

I thought 'east and west' is valid movement of the ball towards the goal line.  'North and south' is C.J Spiller running 27 yards back and forth between the sidelines for a net gain (or loss) of 2.  What am I missing? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I thought 'east and west' is valid movement of the ball towards the goal line.  'North and south' is C.J Spiller running 27 yards back and forth between the sidelines for a net gain (or loss) of 2.  What am I missing? 🤔

You have it backwards: East-West is side to side. North-South means hit the hole.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, sven233 said:

There is a lot we can get into with this game, the scheme, and the play calling.  Without the benefit of seeing the All-22 yet, some of the nuances won't even be picked up and talked about yet.  But, on first watch, there were definitely things that were easy to notice and some other more subtle things that made things easier for Allen.

While I am not going to get into all the specifics I saw until I can confirm them with the All-22, I will comment on some of the little things that added up.  First off, this was not an overhaul of what we've been seeing the last several weeks.  But, what we did was add little wrinkles to the plays we were running.  The more obvious things we saw today started with the use of motion.  Not just motion, but motion with a purpose.  Sure, we have used motion this season, but a lot of times it was just motion to motion.  Guys need to line up so we'd run someone across the formation.  Maybe you get an idea of if it is man or zone, but it was never to set anything up.  Right from the jump today, there was orbit motions and eye candy that hasn't been there all season.  But not just that, the motion was used to scheme guys open.  This was most evident on the Cook TD.  By motioning him and determining that is was man coverage, they immediately knew the route they were going to run.  There was no way Cook's speed that his guy was going to get all the way across the formation with all that trash and get there in time to make a play on the ball there.  That play design was a thing of beauty.  There were at least 3 plays I can remember that actively schemed a player open in this game which is about 3 more than we have had all season. 

They limited the amount of mesh concepts they ran today.  Dorsey's go to concept in almost every critical situation.  We knew it.  We all could see it.  But the defenses all knew this as well.  Today, I can't say that the didn't run it at all because I haven't seen the film yet, but it never came across to me as standing out pre snap that it was coming.  Throw in the fact that we were under center a lot more, spread the ball around, threw it to the backs, ran the ball effectively, no 4th and inches shotgun hand offs, etc. and, at least in this game, eliminated a lot of the "dumb" stuff we saw every week up until now.  Finally, the overall route spacing for the most part, was so much better.  Outside of Davis running a bad route here and there, you never saw 3 or 4 WRs in the same area like we have seen all season.  There are several more great things we could talk about, but this stuff alone made a big difference.  This was never about trying to reinvent the whole offense.  That isn't possible right now in the season.  But the added wrinkles and the use of concepts (ie. throwing to the backs consistently, a lot more spread, etc.) that have been underutilized to this point in the season might be enough to get some of the mojo back on offense.

Was it perfect?  No.  That QB draw with time running out in the half was a puzzling call.  I have no idea what they were doing there with so little time left.  Gabe Davis.  WOOF.  We are literally playing handicapped with him as our #2 WR.  He is very rarely open.  His decisions on option routes are terrible at times.  There are many plays he does more harm than good because he screws up the spacing of routes by choosing the wrong option.  Unfortunately, we are just stuck with him for the rest of the season.  Of course Brown got beat like a drum a few times and there were some untimely penalties.  But honestly, for a team that had 5 days to get ready for the best defense in the NFL with a brand new coordinator, it couldn't have gone much better.  But man, next week is an entirely different animal.  We're not going to be able to basically just shut things down for a quarter+ because we know the other team can't score.  The pedal will have to be firmly planted on the floor next week.  Going to be a very tough game to try and win on the road.

PS.  Dalton Kincaid is a dog.  He is getting better and better every week.  His first half was amazing today and if we needed more in the 2nd half, I am confident he would have a monster day.  But it isn't just the stats......his blocking is so much better than it was when the season started.  It is not perfect, but he is a willing blocker and doesn't shy away from it.  Shakir does not get in the end zone if not for his effort and blocking down the field.  He affected 3 tacklers on that play alone.  He is a stud and is only going to be better.  He is the 2nd best weapon on this team.

I’m trying not to confuse process with results, and be starstruck by the points

but it did feel like the motion, personnel and formations were more purposeful pre snap leading to the “easy button” plays post snap 

there really weren’t the shotgun runs on and 1 situations or the outs to harty with time expiring. In fact they ran that little underneath sweep to him? Wasn’t a big gainer but again the type of play that feels like he was running a scheme and not a random collection of plays. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills team didn’t look like the same team we have seen for like the last month or so. ALL3 phases looked energized and ready to play. I mean the first play of the game special teams gets a TO. 

Also it felt like Allen had time in the pocket, the best game I have seen by that O line all year against a good front, the job doesn’t get any easier next week. (Eagles front 4 are scary good)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That explanation seems contrary to reading a map, but since Buddy Nix, anything is possible. 🤔

You're basing it on the standard TV view. Offenses march the ball "up and down" the field, hence North-South.

Regardless, it's been standard football speak for decades.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I liked the execution. Team was fired up and OL had a great performance. The run w Ty Johnson that got called back, the OL had every Jet on roller skates 5 yards down field. 

A few other observations:

Jet sweeps are back! Nice to see this fixed. They didn't work that well, but will make defenses think and may open up other things. 

QB runs. Again teams will have to have a plan here. Liked how they were used and think we may see some big ones here against lesser DLs. 

Screens and short passes. Yes, and much more emphasis. Cook is a demon. Really impressive. 

Shakir. He needs to be our de facto #2 . During the bye and next week, would not mind him lining up outside some and Davis in slot. 

Offense seemed patient. Patient to drive the field, take points when they come and relay on YAC, running and the occasional shot. Loved it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sven233 said:

Nice post.

I'd also suggest that they ran the offense with much more pace than they have been for most of the year. I think that's a huge advantage for them when it comes to the need to sustain drives.

Having the calls come in in earlier, not using as many sub packages within individual drives, getting to the line faster, etc. All that puts more pressure on defenses both as a unit and as individuals, and limits their ability to mentally reset and grasp how offenses are trying to attack them. I thought they made a clear effort to do that and the results speak for themselves.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’m trying not to confuse process with results, and be starstruck by the points

but it did feel like the motion, personnel and formations were more purposeful pre snap leading to the “easy button” plays post snap 

there really weren’t the shotgun runs on and 1 situations or the outs to harty with time expiring. In fact they ran that little underneath sweep to him? Wasn’t a big gainer but again the type of play that feels like he was running a scheme and not a random collection of plays. 

Agreed.  Josh wasn’t asked to make the super-man plays all the time.  The first couple drives Josh looked a bit out of sorts but then settled in and took the easy plays that were dialed up for him.  That was also a top defense we were doing that to.  We looked a lot less disjointed.  Good start to the Brady era, but let’s see what happens in a close game or when we’re playing from behind.  

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

I was extremely pleased and encouraged.

However, and this is not to be doom and gloom, but the hardest thing OC’s have to do is recognize the season long chess match and adjust their tendencies to the defensive adjustments that are coming.

It wouldn’t surprise me for Brady to have 3-4 “easy” games to call. Where the trouble comes (and what Dorsey hugely struggled with) is when the defense has a counter punch. Dorsey himself, both seasons, had a pretty great opening 4-6 weeks. He could not figure out how to adjust when defenses started to take away what he liked.

I’m not sure Brady will either. But I’m pretty hopeful.

Exactly what I think.

As much as we are collectively dancing on Dorsey's grave today, he did have stretches of greatness. The issue is, as you pointed out, what happens when DC's take away what has been working and you need a second punch.

That said, there are reasons for optimism

1) that 3-4 "easy" games could not come at a better time, right when we need it.

2) the folks at Cover 1 pointed out something useful: that the Jets defense had done an excellent job shutting down receivers on the outside this season, but their weakness had been giving up passes to RBs. Not only was the James Cook TD using motion to identify the defense and running play action from under center (two things we've been screaming for) it attacked a defense deficiency and I do not remember the last time we did that. The result speaks for itself: a wide open, easy throw and catch, red zone TD.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I’m not complaining in any way shape or form, it’s just a concern. 

My concern is that they get don’t get Diggs more involved going forward. Dude had 4 targets in the first 2 drives; 3 drops 😬 and then 2 more in garbage time… As the game wore on from the 1st quarter, dude seriously looked disinterested and checked out. Always lifting his hands in the air like “wtf” with some calls. 

I’m not talking about forcing him the ball so many times like they have been in the past, just get him involved as it might be a potential problem going forward if it’s continued as he’s an emotional player (nothing wrong with that). 

Have the Diggs rumors in the past been blown out of proportion? Most likely but there has to be even a speck of truth to these things…

Dude is our best assets aside from a competent run game in Josh’s success. Don’t care about “keeping him happy” would just like to keep him squarely involved and not where he feels he’s an afterthought. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

North is straight to the other team's goal line.  East is to your right, west is to your left and south is behind you.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I’m not complaining in any way shape or form, it’s just a concern. 

My concern is that they get don’t get Diggs more involved going forward. Dude had 4 targets in the first 2 drives; 3 drops 😬 and then 2 more in garbage time… As the game wore on from the 1st quarter, dude seriously looked disinterested and checked out. Always lifting his hands in the air like “wtf” with some calls. 

Actually he had 8 targets last night, which is the most he's had so far in the month of November.

I don't think that concern should be costing you any sleep. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That explanation seems contrary to reading a map, 🤔

If you're on the field it's a different perspective as opposed to watching it go left and right.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.