Joe Brady's performance tonight

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Actually he had 8 targets last night, which is the most he's had so far in the month of November.

I don't think that concern should be costing you any sleep. :thumbsup:

I get the 8 targets. As I said 4 to start the game, 3 were drops and 2 in garbage time. 
that leaves 2 targets left for a guy who won’t be happy with himself who’s also emotional. 

A concern and worry are different. I don’t lose any sleep over football, can promise you that.

Unless it’s my job… 

😂

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It helped that the Jets' offense couldn't get out of its own way and our D dominated them.  That always makes things easier for an offense.

Keep in mind as well that that was the first appearance of the Brady schemed offense.  As the games continue, more video of our O will become available to opponents.  That shouldn't be discounted.

Very optimistic, but as we all realize, the gauntlet lies ahead.  

Well, it's a good 4 game stretch to do it, considering who we have to play. It's safe to say that the same offense we've been putting out there wasn't gonna cut it against Phl, KC, and Dallas. 

Might as well try it on the leagues best and see what happens. We may actually steal a game or two because of the unexpected wrinkles in the playbook and make it in. 

42 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I’m not complaining in any way shape or form, it’s just a concern. 

My concern is that they get don’t get Diggs more involved going forward. Dude had 4 targets in the first 2 drives; 3 drops 😬 and then 2 more in garbage time… As the game wore on from the 1st quarter, dude seriously looked disinterested and checked out. Always lifting his hands in the air like “wtf” with some calls. 

I’m not talking about forcing him the ball so many times like they have been in the past, just get him involved as it might be a potential problem going forward if it’s continued as he’s an emotional player (nothing wrong with that). 

Have the Diggs rumors in the past been blown out of proportion? Most likely but there has to be even a speck of truth to these things…

Dude is our best assets aside from a competent run game in Josh’s success. Don’t care about “keeping him happy” would just like to keep him squarely involved and not where he feels he’s an afterthought. 

I agree with you to an extent. He had a really lazy route in the 3rd, I got pretty frustrated by it. But at the same time he was the most targeted receiver on the roster. 

One thing to note for Diggs, he had Surtain and Sauce back to back. That’s not a get out of jail free card. He actually disappeared against top flight coverage. That’s a fairly new occurrence for him. 

I am a big spread the ball around guy who thinks 10-12 targets per game is enough. Not that it’s a pitch count. But the more you spread the ball out the more I think Diggs will actually feast long term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

I’m not complaining in any way shape or form, it’s just a concern. 

My concern is that they get don’t get Diggs more involved going forward. Dude had 4 targets in the first 2 drives; 3 drops 😬 and then 2 more in garbage time… As the game wore on from the 1st quarter, dude seriously looked disinterested and checked out. Always lifting his hands in the air like “wtf” with some calls. 

I’m not talking about forcing him the ball so many times like they have been in the past, just get him involved as it might be a potential problem going forward if it’s continued as he’s an emotional player (nothing wrong with that). 

Have the Diggs rumors in the past been blown out of proportion? Most likely but there has to be even a speck of truth to these things…

Dude is our best assets aside from a competent run game in Josh’s success. Don’t care about “keeping him happy” would just like to keep him squarely involved and not where he feels he’s an afterthought. 

I suspect that both Diggs and Gabe were told that they would not be having as many targets as Brady figures out what all else he has to deal with. We will be seeing more of Diggs later imo.

• Like (+1) 1

It was a great win. The Bills pounded an inferior team. They did what was expected. Yay.

But let's not lose perspective. The schedule gets much tougher and we are thin as f*** on defense right now. The offense has to step up and score a lot more points to have a chance. This is where Joe Brady will earn his stripes.

• Like (+1) 2

I have ZERO concern about Diggs. In fact, I loved the fact that we could put up 32 points without him and Davis being big factors.

Sauce is an over rated but solid CB and they were doubling Diggs all night. 

So what did Brady do? He schemed for their weaknesses which were defending the run, defending the middle of the field, and defending RBs catching the ball.

That’s exactly what an OC should do.

Against other teams that aren’t as strong in defensive backfield, Diggs will be a bigger part of the game plan.

• Like (+1) 6

I thought Brady did really well for his first game. Most of the plays worked  and TBH we could have with better execution been up by 24-6  at half. I hope that with more time, Brady can push this offense to more complicated plays that showcase more misdirection and deception. It seems that this area is like an atrophied muscle for this offense. They did it once but are so out of practice and confidence because of Vanilla Dorsey that they need to learn it again. The only other small complaint is that we did a small number of plays that didn't work that were Dorsey specials. I hope Brady gets away from that in the next few games. But overall a good start and so much easier to watch than that frustrating Dorsey game plan!

• Like (+1) 1

Best and coolest thing I saw last night...was, with time running out, and the game over, people in my section started shouting "Let's go Joe" while looking up at him in the booth. I sit in 134, the section right under the OC booth and just to the right of the natiinal broadcast booth. Anyways, the crowd was chanting "Let's Go Joe" looking up at him. Joe looked down and gave a little fist pump to the crowd, like saying "we did it". He was smiling too. Something Dorsey never did.  It was awesome. He looked very happy. Granted, only one game, and it was the Jets. But the Bills scorched their vaunted defense. It was great to see.

Dorsey always had the window closed from the coin toss to the last second. Never opened it once. As soon as the game was almost over, someone in the OC booth opened the window and that's when Joe acknowledged the fans. It was really cool. I hope Brady has continued success. He seems to have his pulse on the team already. Let's hope he keeps it up. "Let's Go Joe"

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

I get the 8 targets. As I said 4 to start the game, 3 were drops and 2 in garbage time. 
that leaves 2 targets left for a guy who won’t be happy with himself who’s also emotional. 

A concern and worry are different. I don’t lose any sleep over football, can promise you that.

Unless it’s my job… 

😂

Diggs has said multiple times he wants to win. It doesn’t matter how they do it. He doesn’t care about his stats as long as they win. If they lose and he isn’t involved he asked what could he have done better to help the team win.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Diggs has said multiple times he wants to win. It doesn’t matter how they do it. He doesn’t care about his stats as long as they win. If they lose and he isn’t involved he asked what could he have done better to help the team win.  

Fair enough but flailing your arms in the air after you don’t get the ball when you’re open, looking half-hearted in some plays and not being full of energy like he is in other games, especially ones we are winning, would tell me otherwise. 

Obviously I look at it differently than you do and that’s ok. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I suspect that both Diggs and Gabe were told that they would not be having as many targets as Brady figures out what all else he has to deal with. We will be seeing more of Diggs later imo.

Why would you suspect that conversation ever happened when we opened with back to back plays forcing the ball to Diggs on swing passes?

That conversation never happened. That was never the plan. They just properly adjusted to what the Defense was playing, and it worked, and Diggs is plenty happy because we won.

As long as the Offense is clicking, and we're moving the ball and scoring, and most importantly WINNING, you will never hear a peep out of Diggs. Except his continuing leadership and support of his team mates.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Don't know if we will ever know what was the problem with Dorsey/Allen.  I think Allen was given a say once he earned his 2nd contract as a proven franchise QB.  So I lean towards Brady maybe not giving Allen as much freedom to audible. And Josh was under center more than we usually seen him under Dorsey or even DaBoll if memory serves.   Didn't seem like Allen audibles as often as it appeared in some of our earlier games.

not as many audibles because the first play was a good call against the defense for the play. I always felt that the first play from Dorsey wasn't a fit for the D on the play and Josh always checked out of it because he didn't like what he saw. I am glad Brady put Josh under center more, i think that makes a big difference.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Keep in mind as well that that was the first appearance of the Brady schemed offense.

It wasn't. That was Dorsey's scheme just called differently. Obviously I understand wanting to see more before believing Brady is the solution, but I don't think defenses are going to be able to key in on anything new. When your play caller calls a balanced offense there's not much to key in on. So more than anything I just want to see Brady do it again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The James Cook TD Pass showed me everything I need to know that it is a step up from Dorsey to Brady.

The design of the play actually schemed Cook wide open. It wasn't a play where we were lining up and asking our receivers to win based on nothing but skill and speed. We actually set up our players in a position to succeed by getting Cook open before the ball was even snapped.

More of that please and thank you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Gotta wonder what Brady has been thinking all season.  How do you sit there and watch your OC call plays you wouldn’t, and not call plays you would.  Gotta sit there and take it I guess.  

Wonder how much input he had in the offense?  Did Dorsey lean on him, or go his own way?  My guess is Dorsey went his own way.

Anyways, great game last night!  Let’s keep it up!  Go Bills!

Yes, a good manager (OC) leans on his people when trouble is at hand.  Clearlliy Brady had ideas that were not used, or, perhaps, even solicited.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The James Cook TD Pass showed me everything I need to know that it is a step up from Dorsey to Brady.

The design of the play actually schemed Cook wide open. It wasn't a play where we were lining up and asking our receivers to win based on nothing but skill and speed. We actually set up our players in a position to succeed by getting Cook open before the ball was even snapped.

So I actually thought different. I’ve seen this play before in the A22 and we just haven’t thrown the ball the the wheel route much. This wasn’t a new addition. It was just taking the throw that was there.

I don’t mean to take away from Brady. Getting players to execute is part of the job. But this isn’t a new wrinkle. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

So I actually thought different. I’ve seen this play before in the A22 and we just haven’t thrown the ball the the wheel route much. This wasn’t a new addition. It was just taking the throw that was there.

I don’t mean to take away from Brady. Getting players to execute is part of the job. But this isn’t a new wrinkle. 

That's fine. Whether the play call was new, or the execution was new, it's still a change with the new OC. Maybe he called that play out in practice this week and reinforced to Josh what he is supposed to be doing instead of Dorsey's approach.

Just like the called Josh runs last night. They didnt gain much yardage, but just calling them and putting that threat out there changes things.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same with the TD to Johnson on 4th and short…where has that been all year?

Good first game.  He did well against a tough defense.  It took some pressure off that the Jets Offense is terrible and those early stalled drives did not come back to haunt.  

I like the way they used the RBs - Cook, Johnson and Murray

I liked the use of TE's - Kincaid was excellent and they even targeted Morris

I liked going to Shakir  - maybe he emerges as the #2 in Brady's offense?

Josh looked like he was having fun  - look he can run and slide too.  

One game, good start.  Philly will be tougher next week.  

Brady tried to be too cute early, but I like what he did. He put speed on the field and called plays that took advantage of their speed. That's Shakir, Harty, and Ty Johnson. I know it was the one big play from Johnson, but he's big and fast. I would like to see Harty be more involved. I feel like there is some meat on that bone. Less Davis is definitely a good thing. I also loved what he did on the touchdown to Cook, the presnap movement, annoying formation and it was a great design. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was screaming “TOUCHDOWN!!!” before Cook ever crossed the LOS. That was absolutely beautiful! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Well, it's a good 4 game stretch to do it, considering who we have to play. It's safe to say that the same offense we've been putting out there wasn't gonna cut it against Phl, KC, and Dallas. 

Might as well try it on the leagues best and see what happens. We may actually steal a game or two because of the unexpected wrinkles in the playbook and make it in. 

Yeah, we'll see.

The Jets D has slipped though.  They're ranked 12th in points allowed. 

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, we'll see.

The Jets D has slipped though.  They're ranked 12th in points allowed. 

Yes but yesterdays result really skewed it, they are undoubtedly a great defense, especially considering their offense is so weak.  I don't think there is more of an "uncomplimentary" team in the NFL, such a offense versus defense.

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It wasn't. That was Dorsey's scheme just called differently. Obviously I understand wanting to see more before believing Brady is the solution, but I don't think defenses are going to be able to key in on anything new. When your play caller calls a balanced offense there's not much to key in on. So more than anything I just want to see Brady do it again.

Maybe so.

We'll see come Sunday.  

A good Coordinator can adjust and take what a defense gives him. The jets tried the two high shell like everyone else in the copycat NFL but Brady chose to run the ball and work the seam with Kincaid and Have Josh make 2 reads and then go outlet to a back out of the backfield and kill that defense. Not so much creative ( which Dorsey couldn't do to save his life) but high percentage and sustainable. just smart football. Cook can beat any linebacker in the league 1 on 1 and Kincaid can as well and most safeties. I loved Brady's gameplan and It also worked to Get josh's confidence back which was the most important part.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes but yesterdays result really skewed it, they are undoubtedly a great defense, especially considering their offense is so weak.  I don't think there is more of an "uncomplimentary" team in the NFL, such a offense versus defense.

Moved out by a little over a point per game.  They were at the bottom of the top 10 prior to this game. 

Completely agree on the uncomplimentary part.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 26TrapDraw said:

A good Coordinator can adjust and take what a defense gives him. The jets tried the two high shell like everyone else in the copycat NFL but Brady chose to run the ball and work the seam with Kincaid and Have Josh make 2 reads and then go outlet to a back out of the backfield and kill that defense. Not so much creative ( which Dorsey couldn't do to save his life) but high percentage and sustainable. just smart football. Cook can beat any linebacker in the league 1 on 1 and Kincaid can as well and most safeties. I loved Brady's gameplan and It also worked to Get josh's confidence back which was the most important part.

Finally, a Brilliant poster. This is 100% correct and the right take. It’s obvious to me how much better Brady is vs Dorsey. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of felt like you could feel it build confidence as well, as they moved the ball more and had more fun you could feel a bit of a difference in them as the game went on, or at least it seemed that way.

yes, but wasn't a bit of difference, but a sea change, both in what I saw in them and in how I and others felt.

Really, an emotional experience to see them so productive, having fun, using more of their weapons and more of the field, being creative and intriguing on offense, and then that the big play to Shakir blowing the roof off a a great night. This will go down in history as a seminal game in Bills' history, in my view, as it is the beginning of what was clearly meant to be.

And the Bills have hope again, a powerful thing, especially for such a talented, determined group and the most talented quarterback in the league.

Now, l just hope that they get into the dance and make that happen.

One thing I appreciated was that we got a lot of YAC.

Allen has always gotten most of his yards through the air.   And he's had some big games airing the ball out.  But it's a hard way to live week after week, especially when teams drop into deep shells.  

Yesterday, none of Allen's TD passes were thrown into the endzone.  Maybe it was coincidental.  Or maybe Brady impressed upon Allen the need to let other players make plays.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

Unless it’s my job… 

😂

Does that make you feel better?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What I liked about Joe Brady from the start is that as soon as he was given the OC job, he wasted no time jumping head first into the position, as if he had been the OC all along. His opening press conference was impressive and exuded confidence. We saw him throughout the week looking very active and hands-on at practices. A small thing but something the players surely noticed and responded to. Throughout the week at OBD and up in the booth today he looked in total command at all times.

As for his play calling, I love that he committed to what we do well and took some dead on arrival concepts out of the play book. No more forcing the ball to Davis downfield. No short yardage shotgun handoffs. On 4th and short he called an easy bootleg that we've converted for 1sts dozens of times, instead of various "coverage beaters" that have no cohesion. He committed to the run from start to finish even when the run offense was stymied at times. He used plays to set things up for later - our failed end around early on led to a fake end around pulling the defense out of position on Ty Johnson's TD. He made it a point to get everyone other than Davis involved as pass catchers which kept us in rhythm and the Jets defense off balance. Really just a stunning play calling performance for Brady from start to finish.

And the offensive players all looked a lot more upbeat and a lot more engaged on the field. We didn't let bad plays or stalled drives snowball into a rut that lasts for 30 minutes of game time. Getting some new energy in the room may have been exactly what this offense needed.

Nice take, as it was the kind of dramatic change some of us new was needed, but that maybe thought could take a bit to get the Bills moving in these directions.

The problems were so obvious, the players and Brady, had likely been thinking for months about exactly what the offense needed to be, and that facilitates these already significant changes.

But it is not the new energy that matters in itself, but the fundamental changes Brady made already that are causing that--competence.

• Like (+1) 1

I was pleased with the simplicity of the play calls and the fact that it seemed like there were actual plays, not just rules keyed off of what the defense was doing.  The offense as a whole was doing too much thinking on the fly under Dorsey, and for whatever reason (probably a variety of reasons) it wasn't working.  Yesterday it seemed like actual plays were being called to target specific situations.

They still have a lot of work to do with their redzone offense, where everything is compressed and execution needs to be tighter.  And none of the playcalls would've mattered if the offensive line wasn't winning at the LOS yesterday which for the most part they were - it was an impressive show of strength against a great front seven.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 26TrapDraw said:

I believe it was in the latest Kurt Warner breakdown where he showed a couple plays and presnap said (closely paraphrasing) "now this play is designed to work against man, and we would check out of it against zone, but the Bills dont do that, some offenses dont do that. They run the play and leave it to the players to make it work."

And that was him trying to DEFEND Dorsey. To me, that said everything I needed to hear to know Dorsey had to go.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.