Takeo Spikes was the legend of the game - and he didn’t like his free seat

Einstein

There's still lots of disinformation with this...

Bruce just said that Marv Levy was stuck in the same suite as he was when he was the legend 

But a few weeks ago they said Marv Levy was stuck in the stands with general population while he was 90 and more easily compromised to illness

Was he put in the stands or in a s***** box

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean I know who he is

I just think it's hilarious for someone to call themselves a legend

what's so hilarious about it? I mean, *****, you don't think he should see himself as the legend he is?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

10 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

When you stay at relatives' homes, sometimes you get the crappy bedroom or whatever. But complaining about the situation on social media, after the club tried to make it right twice, is rude. He's part of the family, but he's still largely a guest at this point. His comments were ill-mannered.

The two other spots could've been worse? It may have been "here's s*** seat, one, two, or three...which would you like?"

It's not like they offered him a seat in the owner's box

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bruce just said that Marv Levy was stuck in the same suite as he was when he was the legend 

But a few weeks ago they said Marv Levy was stuck in the stands with general population while he was 90 and more easily compromised to illness

Marv seems like just the type of person to want to watch with the crowd rather than from a suite. He's super vital.

52 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lol did Bruce Smith really refer to himself as a legend

He's referring to himself as one of "several others invited by the Bills to return and be honored as a "Legend of the Game"

Since that's a bit ponderous, he abbreviated it as "several other legends"; really should not be interpreted as self-aggrandizement in this context.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

They're usually put in one of the end zone clubs which are indoors. They seat around 300 people. There are private suites off to the side IIRC. I think they have access to one of those as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:23 PM, Einstein said:

Here is some visual context for those who haven’t sat in the corner suites before. Where Takeo is sitting is a side room of the normal corner-end zone suites.

Here is a photo of the room (actually, it’s the 2nd floor of the same room).

IMG-2957.webp

IMG-2962.jpg

good post!

more context:

https://theathletic.com/4903541/2023/09/27/bills-takeo-spikes-reaction-alumni-relations/

There is more to Spikes’ photo. Fewer than half of the NFL teams offer their alumni any suite at all. Former players and fans who’ve watched from the large suite say the image would have looked starkly different had Spikes moved a few feet to his left. Three Bills sources with direct knowledge of the situation say Spikes also was given two seating remedies, but he refused, with one of the sources saying Spikes seemed intent on taking the issue public.

seems like he purposely chose that photo angle to make it look worse than it is. He was also offered 2 different remedies to the situation and refused.

“He painted a far worse picture to prove a point,” said a former Bills executive who has been in the suite with alumni. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he still interacts with alumni. “Those guys all talk. This had been festering for a while, and he took the opportunity.

“That’s not to say the Bills can’t do better, but there’s a lot of good being done there too.”

Also:

The Bills are one of 15 teams that offer an alumni suite, according to the NFL Legends Community office. The Bills and Green Bay Packers are the only clubs who are in a small market and play in an older stadium. Las Vegas is the next-smallest market with an alumni suite, but its two-year-old Allegiant Stadium is hosting Super Bowl 55. The smallest market after that is Miami.

leas than 1/2 of NFL teams even offer alumni suites.

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

good post!

more context:

https://theathletic.com/4903541/2023/09/27/bills-takeo-spikes-reaction-alumni-relations/

seems like he purposely chose that photo angle to make it look worse than it is. He was also offered 2 different remedies to the situation and refused.

Also:

As much as I loved Takeo as a player, he should be embarrassed about how he handled this. 

Not only was it a compete distortion, but (as the article said and someone I know advised me early in the week), he was offered an opportunity to move if he did not like where he was.

The whole thing is pretty sh**ty the way he handled it and he has been found out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sounds like it was embellished by spikes to shine light on issues that have been putting off alumni.  Lots of other info in that article.

The Sabres have the same issue under pegula.  They seem to have forgotten or don't care about the history of the team.  No more hall of fame inductions or any of that stuff.  Only the cheap pop of retiring Ryan miller's number (which is a joke).   Last sabres hof induction was hawerchuk in 2011.  Ignoring the history and not serving platters of nostalgia is a pet peeve of mine

Now we can't have Jim Kelly yelling at Marcel darius for kneeling during the anthem, but the bills need to meet somewhere in the middle.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

good post!

more context:

Also:

so, essentially, he was previously salty… accepted the invite and intentionally created a dramatic/embarrassing moment instead of addressing the underlying issue at the start?

honestly, a soap opera but makes more sense than what takes is portraying 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

It’s $1 per month for a year.  Why be a cheapskate?

After a year, does price go up? Hard to keep track of subscriptions, a real hassle... Things add up, especially when one forgets...

AND Because that $12 should come out of the ISP cost being spent. Why are they being such cheapskates? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/17/2023 at 7:39 PM, John from Riverside said:

Why couldn’t he be down on the field? That’s where he should’ve been on the sideline

Call me crazy, but I’m betting that he could have been on the sidelines if he asked. 

I don’t know. A dude who’s received millions of dollars from the Bills gets a free luxury suite. 

And he’s whining on social media about it?

To me, a long time Bills fan, Spikes isn’t a legend. He’s one of hundreds of mercenaries who has played for a losing Bills team. 

Just like Kelvin Benjamin, Tim Tuel, etc. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There isn’t anyone else besides Beane to deal with this alumni vs organization feud?

Alumni are dealt with by subordinates.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

Player Engagement

Mark Carrier Director of Player Engagement

Len Vanden Bos Director of Player Development

Kelsey Harkins Coordinator of Player Services

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

After a year, does price go up? Hard to keep track of subscriptions, a real hassle... Things add up, especially when one forgets...

AND Because that $12 should come out of the ISP cost being spent. Why are they being such cheapskates? 

It’s free if you subscribe to the New York Times, just as an fyi.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

56 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm sure he got the same box that any other alumnus got and yet he's the only one to complain.

Bruce Smith called it “embarrassing”. 

I don’t personally agree but just letting you know there was at least 1 other alumnae that didn’t like it.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:15 PM, DeltaDigital said:

I mean, you’re Takeo spikes, just go into a suite where it works for you breh… wth

Right? Who’s going to decline Takeo taking a spot in one of their suites! 

Also, it should be pretty common knowledge they’re building a new stadium as we speak. So the whole thing is kinda silly imo. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bruce Smith called it “embarrassing”. 

I don’t personally agree but just letting you know there was at least 1 other alumnae that didn’t like it.

Yes, if you read the article, there seems to be a current from Bills alumni that they feel pushed away/ignored by the organization (including members of the AFL Championship worrying they are going to ignore the 60th anniversary next year).  Spikes took it upon himself to publicize it a bit maybe and push the 'issue' to the forefront.  

Its enough where it got people talking about it and Bills executives had to/have to answer questions about it.  

I do think it is a bit of a low blow to be honest.  I do get where they are coming from overall.  Both Bills and Sabres alumni have been pushed to the backburner under this ownership.  Honoring/remembering the past just doesn't seem to be a priority

Edited by May Day 10
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.