Takeo Spikes was the legend of the game - and he didn’t like his free seat

Einstein

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

It’s about being a great host. You don’t do this to your guest of honor. They should be in or near the owner’s suite every week. 

THIS is the stuff that people remember. You ever go to a nice restaurant and the forks are dirty or they sit you next to the kitchen? You have higher standards. 

If Spikes posted this, I’m willing to bet this wasn’t the only clown thing that happened. 

Just completely classless by the Pegulas. This is the stuff that is a true reflection of who they are as people. 

It's a bad look and bad execution but I doubt the Pegulas were involved in this level of daily stadium operations stuff. 

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

It's a bad look and bad execution but I doubt the Pegulas were involved in this level of daily stadium operations stuff. 

It all trickles down. 

At the end of the day they are the owners of the mansion (the stadium) and the caretakers (stadium employees) are given their marching orders to take care of the guests (fans). 

It’s the culture you build. Good hospitality starts at the very very top. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It all trickles down. 

At the end of the day they are the owners of the mansion (the stadium) and the caretakers (stadium employees) are given their marching orders to take care of the guests (fans). 

No they aren't

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It all trickles down. 

The Bills have treated alumni like gold since the Pegula’s have taken over. It really is a joke that some think we have owners that are just the worst that ever owned a team.

59 minutes ago, Augie said:

You’re probably much shorter and it would be just fine.   😋

I’d hate to be paying full freight on that, wherever it may be. 

At the time, it was not expensive at all (comparatively) Like $3,000 for the entire season and included a full buffet.

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I'm not a fan of your thread title; it implies that you have a problem with Spikes having a problem

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think someone got Maddy's and Takeo's assigned seats mixed up.

Guilty laughter here

Wasn't T.O. a legend of the game once? I can't believe we didn't get a complaint then!

• Thank you (+1) 1

That is really bad. That suite shouldn't even exist. It should be a storage room. That would be so annoying to have an obstructed view.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's literally in a suite lol

Sure it's not the best view but he's in a suite 

With unlimited accommodations probably

Who cares if it is a suite? He wants to watch the game and has an obstructed view. The game is the only thing that matters and he can't watch it well.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Pretty sure that guy could sit anywhere, he just needed to ask. Seems like he's just trying to stir ***** up.

I mean I guess he could have bought the appropriate seats for the situation from scalpers on the way in too for that matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just ran into Takeo a couple months ago as we were both out to dinner at the same steakhouse. Head an awesome chat with him.

Told him my story about being at that last game of the season when he came into town with the Bengals, and the whole stadium knew he was about to be a Free Agent and cheered for him out of the tunnel, and every time he made a tackle. He talked about how much that day meant to him, and how coming to Buffalo was the best decision and greatest thing to happen to him. He's really appreciative of Bills fans, Buffalo, and his time with the Bills.

This is very cool and I’m sure Spikes is a good dude. 

I still have my Spikes jersey hanging in the closet (it’s from that Bledsoe era of the ugliest Bills jerseys ever, so it’ll stay on the hanger). 

Loved him during his tenure with the Bills. 

But him b!tching about a free EVERYTHING at a Bills game - in which he was honored - is a bad look. 

He was gifted an experience that most of us would have to deplete a significant chunk of our life savings to get … and he complained. 

Wah. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I still have my Spikes jersey hanging in the closet (it’s from that Bledsoe era of the ugliest Bills jerseys ever, so it’ll stay on the hanger). 

But him b!tching about a free EVERYTHING at a Bills game - in which he was honored - is a bad look. 

He was gifted an experience that most of us would have to deplete a significant chunk of our life savings to get … and he complained. 

Wah. 

Yep, he's just trying to bash the Bills office when it probably would've been very easy for him to mold this experience any way he wanted to. Why sit in a specific spot and pout when you could easily just move somewhere else for a better view.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wah. 

I get a better suite seat as a run of the mill office worker who nobody has ever heard of.  Meanwhile he was specifically Invited as a legend of the game, and he was a tremendous player for Buffalo during a not so great patch of their history.

He's not a lifelong Bills fan,  and he's not poor enough to just be happy to be there.  It's insulting and unprofessional by whoever is making those decisions for the stadium. I have no issue with him pointing it out

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

I get a better suite seat as a run of the mill office worker who nobody has ever heard of.  Meanwhile he was specifically Invited as a legend of the game, and he was a tremendous player for Buffalo during a not so great patch of their history.

He's not a lifelong Bills fan,  and he's not poor enough to just be happy to be there.  It's insulting and unprofessional by whoever is making those decisions for the stadium. I have no issue with him pointing it out

Do you get that suite all expenses paid?

Yes … someone screwed up by giving him an obstructed view. 

An obstructed view to the Bills home opener that he paid exactly $0.00 for. 

Pointing it out to the right people would have been appropriate. 

Pointing it out via social media is a dick move. 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Screw that. The Bills shouldn’t be so clueless that this ever happened in the first place. And he never should have had to point it out. It just should have been known. You don’t stick a former legend of the team, The guy that’s there to pump up the crowd and the team, in a bunk seat where you can’t even see the whole field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yes, all expenses paid including transportation to and from, food and drinks, etc.

I don't think the money even comes into play here in the slightest. He's a former pro bowl caliber NFL player from the modern Era, some free drinks and cafeteria quality food isn't even moving the needle when you live that lifestyle. It's a respect thing, and they used him for promotional gameday entertainment on the field and then gave him THAT view? Big insult. I'm sure when they are giving free stuff to the politicial families they need hundreds of millions of dollars of funding from, they wouldn't make that mistake.

I can't imagine taking an everyday business client to that suite with a straight face,  let alone your legend of the game NFL football player

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, mrags said:

Screw that. The Bills shouldn’t be so clueless that this ever happened in the first place. And he never should have had to point it out. It just should have been known. You don’t stick a former legend of the team, The guy that’s there to pump up the crowd and the team, in a bunk seat where you can’t even see the whole field. 

I’m just not going to feel bad for a multimillionaire who got a bad FREE SUITE when I can’t even afford a seat in the 300s. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

You are full of sh!t. With due respect , of course.

Oh … can you pass the grey poupon?

Who do you think actually buys all of the suites at major league sporting venues?  It's all business entertainment paid for by corporations and the people sitting in them don't pay a dime for anything. Sorry not everybody works at Arby's with you and gets upset when anybody else has standards commensurate with the situation in question. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fetou said:

Who do you think actually buys all of the suites at major league sporting venues?  It's all business entertainment paid for by corporations and the people sitting in them don't pay a dime for anything. Sorry not everybody works at Arby's with you and gets upset when anybody else has standards commensurate with the situation in question. 

Aaaand there it is. 

You even used a big word!  

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m just not going to feel bad for a multimillionaire who got a bad FREE SUITE when I can’t even afford a seat in the 300s. 

Hate to be a jerk. But Not Spikes problem unfortunately. Again, he is a multimillionaire legend of the team. One of only about 20 or so people that have ever done this for the team. And you sit him in probably the worst seat in the suites? There wasn’t a single seat in the whole house that they could give the honorary guest where he could actually see the whole game? this wasn’t some contest winner that should have just been happy to be there. 

again, people can complain all they want and say that it was a privilege to even be there. At the end of the day he was insulted and it made the team management look stupid. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

Hate to be a jerk. But Not Spikes problem unfortunately. Again, he is a multimillionaire legend of the team. One of only about 20 or so people that have ever done this for the team. And you sit him in probably the worst seat in the suites? There wasn’t a single seat in the whole house that they could give the honorary guest where he could actually see the whole game? this wasn’t some contest winner that should have just been happy to be there. 

again, people can complain all they want and say that it was a privilege to even be there. At the end of the day he was insulted and it made the team management look stupid. 

You’re not a jerk. 

He’d have been smarter to leak this to Timmah and let him get clicks. 

But he chose to whine on social media. 

Now he looks just as stupid as the Bills team management does. 

Just now, Gugny said:

You’re not a jerk. 

He’d have been smarter to leak this to Timmah and let him get clicks. 

But he chose to whine on social media. 

Now he looks just as stupid as the Bills team management does. 

Well. Anyone using social media to try and gain followers as well as boost one’s opinion of themself is just a stupid idiot. But that’s a whole other argument. 

point is the bills know about that suite. They know it’s obstructed. And they shouldn’t be stupid enough to sit an honored guest there. Simple as that. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well. Anyone using social media to try and gain followers as well as boost one’s opinion of themself is just a stupid idiot. But that’s a whole other argument. 

point is the bills know about that suite. They know it’s obstructed. And they shouldn’t be stupid enough to sit an honored guest there. Simple as that. 

Look … this is just Takeo Spikes. 

It’s not like we’re talking about CJ Spiller, here. 

Take it down a notch, Sally. 

This is such a non-story.

I agree, it's not the suite I would have chosen for the former player the team is bringing back... but from the thread title I was expecting they put him in the last row of the 300s in the corner.  While this suite might be an obstructed view, it's definitely not the worst seat in the stadium, by a longshot.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Look … this is just Takeo Spikes. 

It’s not like we’re talking about CJ Spiller, here. 

Take it down a notch, Sally. 

Oh I’m sorry. I thought you were upset because Doug Flutie is taller than you 

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

This is such a non-story.

I agree, it's not the suite I would have chosen for the former player the team is bringing back... but from the thread title I was expecting they put him in the last row of the 300s in the corner.  While this suite might be an obstructed view, it's definitely not the worst seat in the stadium, by a longshot.

It probably is the worst seat in the suits tho 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Is this where I’m supposed to feel bad for a millionaire getting a free suite at the home opener when I paid $211 for a seat where I could unscrew one of the stadium lights in week 5 last year?

Yeah … that ain’t Hap’nin. 

Who asked you to feel bad for him? And your insistence in mentioning his wealth shows that you're missing the point.

3 hours ago, BILLieve85 said:

I mean Ralph PAID him, TKO, on the transition tag. 6 years $33mill. Like highest paid LB at the time. From Cincy.

Would it be okay for Talley or Bennett or Schobel or Fletcher in that box?

You know, people want to bash (or ignore) Tim Graham but I'm pretty sure he's not a liar and if other former members of the organization have mentioned shoddy treatment it's probably true.

And like I said earlier in the thread.. if that's how he felt he should have mentioned it to one of the bills reps and I'm sure he would have been accommoded 

But I'm sure there are millions of Bills fans who still would have loved to be in that suite at the opener 

Even with that view

So, you know for a fact that he didn't talk to anyone from the Bills?

Do you also know if there was someone assigned to his suite? If not there should have been. If so shouldn't they have been asking him how everything was? When he decided to leave early do you think anyone asked if there was anything wrong? See you don't know what happened but you choose to cast aspersions on Spikes.

By the way, accommoded is an interesting Freudian slip. The word is accommodations.

2 hours ago, Fetou said:

Here are two things that haven't yet been mentioned in this thread:

1) Look carefully at the picture of Spikes in the "suite." He couldn't possibly sit any lower or closer to the glass than he was shown. It doesn't even look like a comfortable seat he's sitting in. He's trying to maximize what he can see from this... "suite." He's sitting their trying to minimize the obstruction.

2) Why is this "suite" available to the Bills for their use? Is it possibly because NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVER SPEND A PENNY ON IT?

1 hour ago, MJS said:

That is really bad. That suite shouldn't even exist. It should be a storage room. That would be so annoying to have an obstructed view.

Who cares if it is a suite? He wants to watch the game and has an obstructed view. The game is the only thing that matters and he can't watch it well.

Thank you. Yes, the disrespect and carelessness is very minor league. I'll forever be grateful to the Pegulas for being the White Knights that kept this team in Buffalo but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that in the Pegula's case, having money and having class are mutually exclusive. They've literally done one thing right (actually two) since taking over the Bills and Sabres... hiring Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nice crusade... the "suite" was free so he shouldn't complain.

I've worked in a few different industries but never in one where you place a guest of honor in bush league accommodations.

Did they put him up at the Motel 6?

Well it was free so he shouldn't complain.

Got it.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Who asked you to feel bad for him? And your insistence in mentioning his wealth shows that you're missing the point.

You know, people want to bash (or ignore) Tim Graham but I'm pretty sure he's not a liar and if other former members of the organization have mentioned shoddy treatment it's probably true.

So, you know for a fact that he didn't talk to anyone from the Bills?

Do you also know if there was someone assigned to his suite? If not there should have been. If so shouldn't they have been asking him how everything was? When he decided to leave early do you think anyone asked if there was anything wrong? See you don't know what happened but you choose to cast aspersions on Spikes.

By the way, accommoded is an interesting Freudian slip.

Here are two things that hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread:

1) Look carefully at the picture of Spikes in the "suite." He couldn't possibly sit any lower or closer to the glass than he was shown. It doesn't even look like a comfortable seat he's sitting in. He's trying to maximize what he can see from this... "suite." He's sitting their trying to minimize the obstruction.

2) Why is this "suite" available to the Bills for their use? Is it possibly because NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVER SPEND A PENNY ON IT?

Thank you. Yes, the disrespect and carelessness is very minor league. I'll forever be grateful to the Pegulas for being the White Knights that kept this team in Buffalo but the evidence is pretty overwhelming that in the Pegula's case, having money and having class are mutually exclusive. They've literally done one thing right since taking over the Bills and Sabres... hiring Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane.

I've worked in a few different industries but never in one where you place a guest of honor in bush league accommodations.

Got it.

First accomoded isn't a real word... i Speak into my phone and I don't know how it came to that

I meant accommodated.. what does that have to do with a fraudian slip.. nothing .. its a spelling error

Which literally means to provide with something needed

I'm sure the bills would do that for their legend of the game... And if they wouldn't well then it would be shame on them

And we have no idea if TKO asked for a different seat

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Got it.

I mean when someone admittedly struggles to afford a seat in the 300 level and can't see anything past the thick cloud of envy surrounding them, they'd probably feel like the legend of the game with a 50% off coupon to Golden Corral.

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Bills fans are actually ridiculous LOL

This is literally a molehill that people are trying to turn into a mountain

And yeah he was in a suite.. still a suite ... Not the upper northwest corner 300 of the upper deck

This is literally nothing

That's garbage man.  You think there should be any suite with that kind of view at an NFL stadium in 2023?  Let alone for a guy like Takeo.  Your standards are real LOW!

• Like (+1) 3

And like I said earlier in the thread.. if that's how he felt he should have mentioned it to one of the bills reps and I'm sure he would have been accommoded 

But I'm sure there are millions of Bills fans who still would have loved to be in that suite at the opener 

Even with that view

What Bills rep?

If he left the stadium then likely no rep was in the suite. Was he supposed to hunt one down? 

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, sitting at the bar. Our food took over an hour. Our bartender didn’t come by once. I couldn’t flag him. Who the hell was I supposed to complain to?

If there is nobody there, there’s nobody to tell. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

First accomoded isn't a real word... i Speak into my phone and I don't know how it came to that

I meant accommodated.. what does that have to do with a fraudian slip.. nothing .. its a spelling error

And we have no idea if TKO asked for a different seat

The part about "accommoded" was an attempt at humor. I assumed it was a voice to text error.

And yes, the bolded  was my point exactly: No one here knows if he asked for a different seat although many people criticizing Spikes have decided that he didn't.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.