Same energy as the last few years?

Kirby Jackson

You’re not alone

im not excited about tonight.  Not really sure what to expect, but won’t be thrilled with Tuesday comments of “we need to be better” and feel I may be hearing that alot

o don’t think I’ll be watching much sports talk or nfl talk all week 

plus side it’s a long season

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

Right there with you... not sure what to make of this. It's a strange place to be. 

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

No you're not alone. I think most Bills fans feel somewhat beat-up and exhausted. The finish of the last 2 seasons was brutal. Every year brings new hope but re-establishing that energy will take time.

• Agree 1

I think the journey to the top of the mountain was pretty exciting especially after so much misery. But now, we are sort of stuck near the peak knowing that in the scheme of things the games now really aren't what has prevented us from reaching the top. 

I would have liked to see a little better execution in the preseason, to see some of the new folks pop, but that didn't seem to happen. I think with the on paper improvements in the division I'm in a wait and see mode, at least early, to see if this years version of the Bills will have what it takes.

Probably didn't help that I went to the Steelers preseason game and we sucked out loud.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Amazing how many people lost faith in this team after all they did last year was overcome impossible situations. 

Lots of blind people in Buffalo. 

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Sounds to me like a bunch of fans setting themselves up for a loss tonight so they can feel better about it if it happens!  

Loser fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No you're not alone. I think most Bills fans feel somewhat beat-up and exhausted. The finish of the last 2 seasons was brutal. Every year brings new hope but re-establishing that energy will take time.

Completely agree.  

And also, for me, it’s stylistic.  No Von Miller.  Opening with a trash talking, obnoxiously confident team.  A team built around swagger, ability to get after the passer and a cerebral QB behind a suspect OL that gets the ball out quick. 

It all sounds so familiar…

And I don’t know if I can handle a McDermott led team going out and pulling a Bengals game again. 

I need to see that the game last year was a one off due to all the circumstances we faced and not a fatal flaw. 

I don't think you are alone at all. I'm excited that football is back. I just don't have that excitement for the regular season for the Bills. We've all seen they can handle their business in the regular season the past couple years. And, I think they should still be able to do that this season. There is a an expectation, now. So, there's not much excitement in that.  Whereas previously for 16 years, we just hoped they would be good enough to get into the playoffs.

But, it's a long season and what I really want to see is the Bills playing in the playoffs. That's where my questions about this team, coaches and FO are. And we won't find out any time soon if they've made the changes we all want to see, to push the Bills to their ultimate goal.

I feel like I felt this way during the Super Bowl runs. I remember feeling all the excitement for those first couple seasons where they were building this perenial winner and then they made that first Super Bowl. I found my self being less excited for the regular season when 93/94 rolled around.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, teef said:

i thought about this this morning.  for some reason i'm not as giddy for the game to be here as i usually am.  i have a feeling that no matter the outcome, i'm still going to be meh either way.  i'm not sure that i burned myself out waiting for this game all weekend, and that my bedtime will be greatly compromised, but i'm pretty mellow about all of this.

Make sure you still get to bed on time. You know what a grumpy grumps you are when you don't get your full 12 hours

Enthusiasm for this season is higher than previous seasons.  I like what they've done to bolster the run game, and I think moving on from Leslie Frazier is a plus.  

Of the games on the schedule, this Jets game hasn't concerned me much.  The McDermott-era Bills win when they show up, and they show up for the openers and in September overall (.650 winning percentage in September). 

His Bills have had AR's number historically, and regardless of greatness, quarterbacks on new teams have a difficult first game.  

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

but it is because the real season starts in January.

This, in large part! The season is prologue for the games that matter. I remember feeling this way after the first couple superbowls.

For me, it is a couple other things.

1. I don’t have faith in the coaching staff. Too many times bitten, twice shy. I hope this year they surprise me but my expectations are lower than at any other time since we got Allen.

2. I don’t trust the league’s total integrity any longer. There have been entirely too many questionable occurrences to not suspect a semi rigged system. “ Semi” because I don’t think things are completely preordained but the league and the refs seem to put their proverbial foot on the scale in obvious ways when it suits them. Last Superbowl’s end of game call handing the Chiefs the game being the final straw. 
   I didn’t get the Sunday Ticket this year ( tried but Verizon screwed me/long story) and am going to watch streams as I need to🤷‍♂️

Lastly , this morning watching the highlights was Meh

• Like (+1) 1

Comparisons to the energy last year will inevitably lead to disappointment.  This time last year we were the pre-season super bowl champs, favorites on the road against the reigning champs.  We were burning things down.  Arson cases increased 347% percent year over year in 2022.  Dorsey was smashing all the electronics in sight.  Turns out hes a major luddite but hes our luddite.  Josh was intensely monogamous.  It was just a level of energy that had not been seen since Motley Crue invented cocaine in 1982.  

• Haha (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Sounds to me like a bunch of fans setting themselves up for a loss tonight so they can feel better about it if it happens!  

WEAK

I can’t speak for anyone else but that wasn’t the purpose of the thread. I’m as committed as ever. I flew into NY Saturday and will be there ready to go. I just went from EXPECTING to win the Super Bowl (last year) to knowing that they CAN this year (but it will be really tough).

Last year, all that I thought about was that game in LA for months. This year, it is more like, “play well, secure as many home playoff games as possible and execute against great teams in January.” I believe, more than ever, that the gap between Bills/Cincy/KC and everyone else has all but closed. The Bills are still elite. They just have more competition. They didn’t get over the hump with less competition. It will be harder than ever in 2023. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

WEAK

100% correct take here

You know what they sound like?

Patriot fans c. Brady era

I'm more excited now than last year. This team is better than last year's team. Everyone in the media had us as the favorites and TBD fell for it. Hook, line and sinker. I posted that we would not win the SB and that I would take the field (LAMP). I think this year, we make headway in the playoffs and make it to the SB. From there, it's anyone's guess. 🤞

I'm excited and optimistic, but it feels more quiet and determined. I know this team can be great.

The last two years was a lot of chest puffing because everyone ***** on the Allen pick, crapped on us trading for Diggs and it's been nothing but absolutely right. I was insanely hyped last season when we traded for Miller and it looked like we were just gonna steamroll the league weeks 1-2. Then the injuries happened.

I'd rather this team starts slow and peaks at the right time than comes out guns blazing and runs out of gas by the middle of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

With you 100% on this, Kirby.  

For me, a lot of it has to do with also moving out of WNY, and the impending stadium opening with its PSLs which I said I'd never pay.  

That being said - hopefully tonight and definitely next weekend should do a lot to energize things.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

I'm excited and optimistic, but it feels more quiet and determined. I know this team can be great.

The last two years was a lot of chest puffing because everyone ***** on the Allen pick, crapped on us trading for Diggs and it's been nothing but absolutely right. I was insanely hyped last season when we traded for Miller and it looked like we were just gonna steamroll the league weeks 1-2. Then the injuries happened.

I'd rather this team starts slow and peaks at the right time than comes out guns blazing and runs out of gas by the middle of the season. 

This feels a bit more accurate I'm still excited and optimistic for the season but It's more like I feel more prepared for it to be a dogfight.

• Like (+1) 1

I will be more excited when i see what this defense and offense can really do. Can they score against a good/great defense? Can they slow down a good offense when it counts? Can they pressure the QB and stop pressure against ours? Last years 13 wins were not so convincing at times. Will try to watch this game quietly and just watch.  

A lot of people here are talking about “how stacked the AFC is”, but I’m not so sure.  The AFC west and south look like garbage outside of KC and Jax, and it looks like the north might not be all that, either.  Everyone is talking about the Dolphins, but they barely beat a pretty mediocre Charger team on essentially a neutral field.  If the Bills win impressively tonight, they have to be considered the front runner.

Edited by mannc

I don't get too high or too low when it comes to football. I know some people live and breathe Bills football and it is an integral part of their identity, but that's not really me.

I love football and love the Bills, and I'm excited to watch them play tonight. I don't have less energy about the team, but I don't know if I would describe it that way anyways. I'm confident in the team and excited. I was last year too, and the year before that.

I watch the game for enjoyment. When they win, it feels good. When they lose, I take a deep breath and move on with my day and look forward to next week.

• Like (+1) 1

It feels less certain this season. The last game of last season certainly left an awful taste and possibly some questions as to what kind of team it will be moving forward.

Not much has changed talent wise.

Still talented and should be explosive offensively.

Way more apprehension defensively than offensively.

A convincing win tonight helps with the uncertainty although it is only one game to a long season.

24 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I'm more excited now than last year. This team is better than last year's team. Everyone in the media had us as the favorites and TBD fell for it. Hook, line and sinker. I posted that we would not win the SB and that I would take the field (LAMP). I think this year, we make headway in the playoffs and make it to the SB. From there, it's anyone's guess. 🤞

this is not as nearly impressive as you seem to think it is

For me, personally, it's just something along the lines of a lack of accountability by this particular coaching staff wrt the playoff issues the team has experienced the past two years.  I'd feel more confident about this team if there was more transparency and accountability about 13 Seconds and the Bengals game.  I get it, they're not obligated to be more accountable and transparent outside OBD, but at the same time they want the fans' buy-in and are critical of the media for chasing the "smoke" (i.e., Diggs this offseason).  

I'm as excited as I always am but do not fully trust these coaches to coach up these players at critical moments.  I would love for them to earn my trust this year!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Right there with you. This thread is therapeutic. Dizzying expectations last season and then disappointment, bad luck, tragedy, literal life and death stuff. I still care deeply but my energy level is no where near where it was the same time last year, the day of the Rams game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m wary. I do feel like we’re getting to the end of the window with this current team. I think this season’s team is similarly, if not more, talented than they were when they closed out last season at every position except MLB, and I think McDermott calling the D will be an improvement over Leslie “he brings less pressure than any DC in the league” Frazier… but the AFCE is much tougher this year and the team is getting older at a number of key positions, so I feel like if they don’t get over the hump this season they’re going to have to turn over the roster at a number of key positions next season at the expense of a “down” season…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.