Same energy as the last few years?

Kirby Jackson

McDermott and Beane have run their course for me and I think that’s my issue. I just don’t trust them to make the right calls with this team. Too many bad coaching decisions and wasted draft picks. We have maybe the best QB and he might be the most unique weapon in the league too but I wish we brought in a different coach to inject new life into the team. Too many times we come out flat when it matters most. Hope this year feels different. I’m pumped that Frazier is gone, that was a great decision. Hoping to see the defense play with some physicality and less soft zone and laziness. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Great thread, OP (that wasn't sarcasm).  Coaching still kind of concerns me, and I'm being low key with this remark.  Could this team win the SB this year?  Yes.  Could this team finish .500 or less this year?  Yes.

Going into this season I'm just feeling cautious.  You go from 17 years of (wrongly) talking yourself into thinking that EJM and others of his ilk would QB this team into the playoffs to two years of utter letdowns.  This team is really good, but it's also got its warts.  That's the tough part to reconcile going into this season.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

I feel the same way.  I even posted it in Shaw's thread the other day.  I am just not doing the things I normally do.  I am happy to see them play today but nowhere near the energy level of years past. I haven't really watched any hype videos, spent all that much time here, listened to wgr, read any articles.  I still love the Bills but something is definitely different this year.  Maybe I am just older.  Maybe I am at the point that I need to see the team get over the hump.  Not sure really.  All I know is that usually I am pumped by now and I am not.  I don't even know what to expect of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Great thread, OP (that wasn't sarcasm).  Coaching still kind of concerns me, and I'm being low key with this remark.  Could this team win the SB this year?  Yes.  Could this team finish .500 or less this year?  Yes.

Going into this season I'm just feeling cautious.  You go from 17 years of (wrongly) talking yourself into thinking that EJM and others of his ilk would QB this team into the playoffs to two years of utter letdowns.  This team is really good, but it's also got its warts.  That's the tough part to reconcile going into this season.

Every team has warts. The best coaches cover them up as much as they can. To win the division, let alone the Super Bowl, that's what the Bills need to do.

I'm trying to separate myself from expectations.  It's not easy.

I lived through the Kelly years, and now we have Josh Allen.  Odds are that we're unlikely to get another incredible QB again in my lifetime -so, I really just want to enjoy every game that Allen plays, and the time that we have him.

My energy is definitely different this year because of that.  I'm just low-key about the whole thing. I'm less invested in the outcome of winning it all, and more living in the moment & just trying to enjoy each week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm trying to separate myself from expectations.  It's not easy.

I lived through the Kelly years, and now we have Josh Allen.  Odds are that we're unlikely to get another incredible QB again in my lifetime -so, I really just want to enjoy every game that Allen plays, and the time that we have him.

My energy is definitely different this year because of that.  I'm just low-key about the whole thing. I'm less invested in the outcome of winning it all, and more living in the moment & just trying to enjoy each week.

I do enjoy watching 17 play!  Some of his throws are just jaw dropping.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone is cautiously optimistic for the season.  Once the season gets.rolling the fans will be in the rhythm of the team 

this team has a lot of unknowns going into week1 and we as fans are desperate to find out as the preseason did not give much glimpse of it.  Go Bills ! 

This is the year the coaches have to elevate themselves in the playoffs.  Put your team in a position to execute.  Keep it simple but effective. 

Winning in the playoffs and the Super Bowl requires this elevation something thus coaching staff has lacked.  They need to demonstrate that 

Go Bills ! 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am definitely a bit more low energy this season.

Me too.  I have said all off-season that we are likely to regress this year and I think the fanbase feels it; the progression upward has stalled for several years now.

This year we go backward IMO.

We need a reset.  I have also predicted Dorsey will be gone after this year; a better OC could help rejuvenate interest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

I’m glad you posted this, because I thought I was the only one. 

I used to count down the days until the season started. This year? Meh.

Don’t get me wrong - Once the game starts, i’m amped. But prior to that… nothing like last year or really any other year.

In some ways, it feels like last season broke me. I’m hoping they can turn things around and I can regain my mojo.

• Like (+1) 1

These are uncharted waters for me. 

I’ve never felt like coaching is our Achilles heel more than I feel it now. 

Clearly, we’ve had some horrible, horrible coaches over the past couple decades. 

But we also had crappy QBs and players. 

Now we’ve got an elite QB who is in desperate need of leadership and it’s simply not there. 

That said, I’m still optimistic and I still think we’ve got enough talent to go deep into the playoffs. 

But at this stage of Allen’s career, this team should be a buzzsaw. 

The lack of enthusiasm/energy at the fan base level - to me- is a result of the lack of enthusiasm/energy the on-field product has displayed for nearly an entire year of football. 

I’ve never seen the Allen-era Bills play less-inspired football. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Bump. Is anyone lacking excitement now? 

Good bump.  I was thinking about this last night in the shower.  Sunday's game served as sort of a post-Bengals debacle palate cleanser that the Commanders and Raiders games didn't quite provide.  The fanbase really needed Sunday for our collective psyche, imo.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Bump. Is anyone lacking excitement now? 

Season is young, one of our (extremely good) starting corners went down with a potentially career ending injury. Yes our DL looks beastly, yes we're playing great football in all phases but there's still a long slog to get to the post-season.

I'm going to reserve my excitement for when we punch our ticket to the playoffs because to me, with where this team is at right now, that's when it gets real.

I feel better about this team more than I ever have.

It was 2020 because of our offense but I was always scared we would lose games in the trenches but still was very confident overall.

I felt great in the first half of the season last year but our offensive line worried me there too.

Right now, since I feel good about both trenches, my excitement level is back way up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, uninja said:

Season is young, one of our (extremely good) starting corners went down with a potentially career ending injury. Yes our DL looks beastly, yes we're playing great football in all phases but there's still a long slog to get to the post-season.

I'm going to reserve my excitement for when we punch our ticket to the playoffs because to me, with where this team is at right now, that's when it gets real.

I'm in this camp. It feels real good right now, but that was true during first half of last season. Then we got to the Packers game and things started to unravel string by sting, very slowly. The Bills mojo was leaking and then all those strange obstacles started. By the time we got to the playoffs, the mojo had drained out. 

• Like (+1) 1

The energy is back for me. 

McDermott is currently making the case to me that we can absolutely win a Super Bowl with him.

The effect he's had on this Defense, both schematically and in terms of player development is beyond what I expected.  It's what I hoped, but wasn't sure of. 

Beane has finally figured out the lines.  We now have a Top 10 OL and Top 3 DL.  We are destroying people on the LOS.

Josh Allen, OL/DL investment and McDermott leading the Defense is the formula.  We have weapons, but I wouldn't say Diggs, Davis, Knox, Kincaid , Cook and co. are an elite group of weapons, but the weapons are Super Bowl caliber.. especially when paired with those three components I listed. 

This team is loaded.  It's deep.  It's well coached.  And Brandon Beane's recent drafts and money spent are HITTING. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I don’t want to say this didn’t age well because it comes down to personal feelings but man is this an exciting team.  Even from that poopy jets game it was pretty clear we have made big strides in the trenches 

I will say though that the last few years have really made us all understand how hard it is to win a Super Bowl which is pretty discouraging at times.  The best team winning it is pretty rare to begin with and there’s 0 margin of error for the team that has to play that fateful arrowhead stadium afc championship game.  Someone’s gotta stop these fools from getting the 1 seed every season 😂

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:46 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I started watching in 2001 so damn, I’m still tickled when they win any regular season game.

Newbie.  You won’t earn you “Bills fandom card” until you go through 30 years of heartache.   It’s in the bylaws look it up😂

After week one, and two hours of my ranting and statements of “I’ll never watch this GD team again” , my calmly asked where are we going next week to watch the game?  I told her time and place immediately.  

such is commuted fandom 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:40 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it’s a feeling of reality - knowing that postseason > regular season.  

It’s nice to win games and division championships but if you aren’t on a roll and/or healthy going into the postseason you end up losing in a division game.

Also we know that being the #1 ranked team in power rankings, the team that’s favored to the Super Bowl, or the team with the best DVOA doesn’t guarantee you anything.  

basically, I think we know a lot can happen but we are taking things week-to-week

• Like (+1) 1

Yep the Dolphins game just took things up a few notches....and it feels incredible.  I'm more than happy to eat some crow.  This is how I want to feel about my team

It's starting to feel like this is the most complete team we have seen under the Beane/McDermott regime and so many players are playing at an extremely high level right now.

The excitement level is 100% back...after the Dolphins game one of the guy's in my group made the comment that game made the Home Opener against the Raiders feel like a preseason game lol

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t want to say this didn’t age well because it comes down to personal feelings but man is this an exciting team.  Even from that poopy jets game it was pretty clear we have made big strides in the trenches 

I will say though that the last few years have really made us all understand how hard it is to win a Super Bowl which is pretty discouraging at times.  The best team winning it is pretty rare to begin with and there’s 0 margin of error for the team that has to play that fateful arrowhead stadium afc championship game.  Someone’s gotta stop these fools from getting the 1 seed every season 😂

It’s hard to win a Super Bowl, but I cringe when people say getting the 1 seed isn’t a massive deal.  

Our path to the Super Bowl last year, if we were the 1:

Bye

Home Jax

Home KC

Somehow the QB of the team that has never played a road playoff game keeps going to the Super Bowl.. go figure. 

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s hard to win a Super Bowl, but I cringe when people say getting the 1 seed isn’t a massive deal.  

Our path to the Super Bowl last year, if we were the 1:

Bye

Home Jax

Home KC

Somehow the QB of the team that has never played a road playoff game keeps going to the Super Bowl.. go figure. 

About 50% of #1 seeds make it to the Super Bowl. Correlation is more likely at play than causation. Most often the #1 seed is likely the best team in the conference.  But 50% of the time someone who is not a number 1 seed makes it to the Super Bowl.  This happened as recently as 2021-22, when two #4 seeds played against each other in the Super Bowl.  The #1 seed spot does not matter.  But it is not dispositive.  Side note - Mahomes has shown he can lose at home in the plaoffs. 

image.thumb.png.1200f6118c1527cac84b5faa43b543e7.png

I’m happy to watch the team but old Denny Greene comes to mind…..”You wanna crown Dey ass, then crown em!”

We haven’t reached the 1/4 mark yet and the season is prologue to what counts.

Losing TD sucks and could cause us to have 1 extra loss. 
   I’m just sitting back, patiently enjoying the here and now and not making too much of it…. Especially after watching the NFL play it’s usual Put a toe on the Scale Monday night to make sure their chosen team didn’t lose to the lowly Jets😒

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.