Chargers blew it

Xwnyer

36 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Honestly I'm going to give the Dolphins credit on this one, there offense is legit. Both teams defenses stunk today. It was a shoot out and the Dolphins made more plays. Pretty plain and simple in my book.

Agreed.

The Dolphins offense has the potential to be lethal and they showed it today. They put extreme pressure on the outside with two speedy receivers in Hill and Waddle. Then when a defense adjusts to bracket the outside, the Dolphins begin to exploit the middle. They played this cat and mouse game with the Chargers all game long. 

Tua, while not a top five quarterback, has the one skill that is essential in the offense that Mike McDaniels (Dolphins head coach) runs. Accuracy! He is also *just* mobile enough to be annoying.

Thankfully, the Dolphins achilles heal from last season showed no signs of being any better. The defense. The addition of Vic Fangio made little difference today, as the Chargers racked up 433 yards of offense. Hopefully this continues.

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Dolphins weren’t great either … D looked bad until the last series 

It’s as if Fangio just plays it basic all game because he knows his O will keep them in it.  Then when the game is on the lines, he pulls out the aces in his sleeve

You might even say the Dolphins are actually pretty good!

I know, hard to admit after years of trashing on Tua... but I don't care who the defense is, he put up 3 TDs & 466 yards. That's not easy in the NFL, and it's even more rare for a bad QB to do that. 

Looks like another year of tough games against the Phins. If Tua & Hill are healthy, they're a dangerous offense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, BillzFreak said:

Honestly I'm going to give the Dolphins credit on this one, there offense is legit. Both teams defenses stunk today. It was a shoot out and the Dolphins made more plays. Pretty plain and simple in my book.

Honestly I'm going to give the Dolphins credit on this one, there offense is legit. Both teams defenses stunk today. It was a shoot out and the Chargers made way more bonehead mistakes. Pretty plain and simple in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I know, hard to admit after years of trashing on Tua... but I don't care who the defense is, he put up 3 TDs & 466 yards. That's not easy in the NFL, and it's even more rare for a bad QB to do that. 

Looks like another year of tough games against the Phins. If Tua & Hill are healthy, they're a dangerous offense.

Mike white had 405 and 3 TDs against cincy ( a better team and D than chargers) in his first ever action 

Edited by balln

ANY offense would look legit when the opposing defense (like today's Chargers) go "Oh, you're good at literally one single thing, throwing over the middle to YAC merchant receivers?  Well then we're going to leave the middle of the field uncovered and DARE you to try to beat us that way!"  I have no idea what they were trying to accomplish.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

Cb ints in end zone tries to run it out versus taking touch back. Ends up tackled at 3 chargers go 3 n out and out from own end zone. Next play Hill beats cb for a TD.  Later on in game chargers lead have fins rattled 3 rd and long and agai hill beats them deep.  Later in series again hill beats them for a TD.  the chargers defense let Tua have ample time and left receivers free was Leslie Frazer consulting their D

He must have watched the Bills Ravens playoff game from 2 years ago and thought he was Johnson.

Typically people who play football all their life aren't members of Menza.   Players always want to be hero's

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Yeah, he did a great job of hitting his wide open, untouched receivers and taking advantage of that stellar play the Chargers defense and coaching put out there.

Not sure if you've ever played QB, or even thrown a football, but it is NOT easy to make an accurate throw to a receiver who is running at near full speed, like Tua did many times today. Hitting a receiver who is stationary...sure, my Grandma can do that.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

And without Terron Armstead.  The chargers D is talented but they’ve never been good under Staley.  Ranked 22 and 30th. But you have to give it to them.  They had some unfortunate plays yet still kept it together and made big play after big play.  

And the D made 3 huge plays to end the game.  They’re scary good if Tua can stay healthy.  Tough to contain that kind of speed all over the field.  Adding Berrios was a nice move. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And without Terron Armstead.  The chargers D is talented but they’ve never been good under Staley.  Ranked 22 and 30th. But you have to give it to them.  They had some unfortunate plays yet still kept it together and made big play after big play.  

And the D made 3 huge plays to end the game.  They’re scary good if Tua can stay healthy.  Tough to contain that kind of speed all over the field.  Adding Berrios was a nice move. 

I generally agree and have felt all offseason that Miami is a bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets. As much hype as New York has received, it feels like the Dolphins have been somewhat taken for granted

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not sure if you've ever played QB, or even thrown a football, but it is NOT easy to make an accurate throw to a receiver who is running at near full speed, like Tua did many times today. Hitting a receiver who is stationary...sure, my Grandma can do that.

When a receiver has no obstruction in his route its actually quite easy to hit a WR in stride. It's called a TIMING PATTERN and without any pressure on the QB it's not a big deal even for the average QB. Though I will say that throw on 3rd and 10 to Hill on his final drive was spectacular. 

And why isn't anyone bringing up the Chargers D or coaching? Are we expected to believe Tua and Hill are doing this every week? Might as well go out on Sundays if so.

Edited by billsbackto81

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I watched that game and they both were sloppy.  It was like a car crash,  you hate it, but keep watching.  Neither played well.  Neither did the Eagles, but at least they beat the Cheats.

I just don’t know how u can call 2 teams sloppy who combined for 70 points. Tua played beautifully and got the ball where it needed to be. I can admit this as a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Didn’t watch the game but from what a friend told me Tua could’ve easily had at least 5 turnovers between fumbles and dropped picks. So the crappy part is all anyone will say all week is how amazing Tua played. Seems as though this was a game where the stats don’t tell the whole story

Come on now. Tua played very well. He won on the road in a shootout. How can someone sling mud on a 466 yard performance? Unbelievable.

Your post is a terrible stretch to try to make Tua look bad. He wasn't flawless but he was damn good and very poised throughout the game. I don't think he's elite but today he looked the part. What's undeniable is him and Hill are phenomenal. Their offense looked fantastic. I'm thinking how are the Bills going to stop them? That's a question for later. For now, Tua deserves his props. 

P S it might be a good idea to watch the game before commenting on it. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I generally agree and have felt all offseason that Miami is a bigger threat to the Bills than the Jets. As much hype as New York has received, it feels like the Dolphins have been somewhat taken for granted

👍🏻 

I think both teams are going to be dependent on their OLs.  Similar to us.  I think the division winner may be the team with the best OL, minus NE. I don’t consider them contenders. 

if I had to tank them

1- Bills-  you have to beat the man, to be the man.

2- Miami-  I’ll take their speed and coaching advantage 

3- NyJ- see above- HACKett sucks

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Hill and Wadle have a ton of speed. If Tua stays healthy and you scheme to get those guys the ball its a shootout. Your O does not show up and your not keeping up. 

The other receiving options played well too. I'm not sure if schematically they really did anything vastly different from last year. I do know there were some wide open receivers for big plays. Great run after the catch too. 

Their offense was impressive and LA had no real answers to slow them down. The fins oline protected Tua pretty well too. 

Miami will certainly challenge Buffalo for the division. They put Bills fans on alert. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Another Herbert stat fest - wow look at the 99.9 QB rating!  And again a Chargers loss as Herbert shows almost no pocket awareness under pressure. Color me unimpressed with this guy.

Generally, I agree but those sacks at the end of the game really weren't on him. He was surrounded by Dolphins immediately. He had nowhere to go and was pretty much helpless. That's where a mobile QB who can rollout and bye time helps. I don't think that's his game. 

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Chargers only well enough to choke away the season later.

It's certainly a theme and likely to rear it's ugly head when we want them to beat KC. 

18 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

When a receiver has no obstruction in his route its actually quite easy to hit a WR in stride. It's called a TIMING PATTERN and without any pressure on the QB it's not a big deal even for the average QB. Though I will say that throw on 3rd and 10 to Hill on his final drive was spectacular. 

And why isn't anyone bringing up the Chargers D or coaching? Are we expected to believe Tua and Hill are doing this every week? Might as well go out on Sundays if so.

I did bring up the Chargers defensive strategy on another thread. I questioned why they didn't try to jam and bump the Miami WR. They were very effective last year. Whatever strategy or lack of was horrible. 

Agree that people got to stop calling 400+ yard Tua performances sloppy. We saw this last year as well. It's not perfect but he and Hill/Waddle are clearly very effective. They were the top offense of the day by miles. Tua is likely a 4500+ yd QB if he could ever stay healthy.

But that's the catch. It's not at all about his performance, it's about whether he'll remain healthy and upright for 17+ games. I'm still extremely doubtful. The hits he took last year are still insane and still had an impact regardless of how much Miami clearly wanted to downplay them and immediately move past it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Didn’t watch the game but from what a friend told me Tua could’ve easily had at least 5 turnovers between fumbles and dropped picks. So the crappy part is all anyone will say all week is how amazing Tua played. Seems as though this was a game where the stats don’t tell the whole story

Instead he had 450 yards passing and the winning TD

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Generally, I agree but those sacks at the end of the game really weren't on him. He was surrounded by Dolphins immediately. He had nowhere to go and was pretty much helpless. That's where a mobile QB who can rollout and bye time helps. I don't think that's his game. 

It's certainly a theme and likely to rear it's ugly head when we want them to beat KC. 

I did bring up the Chargers defensive strategy on another thread. I questioned why they didn't try to jam and bump the Miami WR. They were very effective last year. Whatever strategy or lack of was horrible. 

Sherbert is a mobile QB...he had nobody open and was swarmed immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

Chargers simply folded on defense and made too many mental errors. I thought the intentional grounding on Herbert in the last drive was dubious. That is a throw every QB makes under pressure and for some reason Rodgers, Mahomes can throw that and Herbert can’t without laundry. Oh well. Guess the NFL wanted to make it extra hard for the Chargers. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.