Chargers blew it

Xwnyer

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Cb ints in end zone tries to run it out versus taking touch back. Ends up tackled at 3 chargers go 3 n out and out from own end zone. Next play Hill beats cb for a TD.  Later on in game chargers lead have fins rattled 3 rd and long and agai hill beats them deep.  Later in series again hill beats them for a TD.  the chargers defense let Tua have ample time and left receivers free was Leslie Frazer consulting their D

When don't the Chargers blow it? They've been blowing ***** since Norv Turner ran things. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Justin Herbert gets paid top 3 QB money for what I have no idea. 

Their best player is Austin Ekeler who didn’t play the last series for some reason.  

He has to be the worst QB when he scrambles -or even tries. He’s pathetic at being able to escape.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Herbert is the most overrated QB in the league and I’ve been saying this since early last season. Guy has every advantage u can ask for. 2 all pro WRs, top 3 RB, a very good defense spearheaded by Khalil Mack & Joey Bosa, and he still can’t get it done. Rivers was twice the QB Herbert will ever be. 

To me it looks like he just doesn't care.  Doesn't seem to have any heart or drive to win. Last season I seen him slide short of a first down on a must have first down. 

• Vomit 1

The end of that game really ruined my opening day......on the last TD the CB for the Chargers was doing his best Leodis McKelvin impression.............he was in perfect position to make a play if he would have just turned his head around to see the ball coming.

What should have been a game winning INT turned into a game winning TD....🤢

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Bills fans will definitely look for reasons to criticize Tua, he played very well, especially in the clutch moments.  No stats don't tell the whole story, winning on the final drive does though.

I couldn't watch the game.  I can't dog Tua. He is playing well.  You can say it's the system and or the WR's and that's true, but he is still executing it. I don't think Tua is elite like Allen, Mahomes, etc but he is still playing well with the team he has and is executing his offense.

In any case I look forward to our matchups.  I feel like back in the Kelly/Marino years where we all hated the damn Dolphins.  It was a great time.  Haven't felt like that in a long time.  I think it's good to have competition.  When you beat that competition it's just that much sweeter.  

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Special K said:

The end of that game really ruined my opening day......on the last TD the CB for the Chargers was doing his best Leodis McKelvin impression.............he was in perfect position to make a play if he would have just turned his head around to see the ball coming.

What should have been a game winning INT turned into a game winning TD....🤢

I didnt have the game but seen the highlight.  I said the same thing... why didn't you turn your head!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Dolphins weren’t great either … D looked bad until the last series 

Dolphins weren't great?  Tons of offense and scoring, Tua throws for damned near 500 yards, and probably has his best game as pro...but apparently this wasn't great b/c the D allowed too much scoring.  That's what this sport is now.

Success is measured by how many you can put on the board, consistently.

The Miami team that played today will beat us twice if we do not have a solid, sharp game, with the offense on its game.

Hell of a game!  If only LA had ended up on top in the end.  Could have gone either way; it went back and forth all day long.

7 lead changes I think; lost count!

4 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Phew. I was worried Tua & Hill had good games. Glad to hear it was just the Chargers sucking. (Game wasn't available here)

You realize Tua threw for nearly 500 yards and had his best game as pro, right?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Another Herbert stat fest - wow look at the 99.9 QB rating!  And again a Chargers loss as Herbert shows almost no pocket awareness under pressure. Color me unimpressed with this guy.

Josh allen looks laid back.    But he's not

Trevor Lawrence looks laid back.   But he's fighting his nature, succesfully

Justin Herbert looks laid back.    And he is.   Like he thinks pro football is still "just a game" even especially when you're the QB.

Every time you see his face, Herbert looks like "this is so cool."

Edited by maddenboy

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Herbert is the most overrated QB in the league . . .

Now that Russell Wilson has been outted:

-Daniel Jones

-Lamar Jackson

-Dak Prescott

-Derek Carr

-Justin Herbert

-Kirk Cousins

On the Bubble:

-Trevor Lawrence

-Jalen Hurts

-deshawn Watson

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, BillzFreak said:

Honestly I'm going to give the Dolphins credit on this one, there offense is legit. Both teams defenses stunk today. It was a shoot out and the Dolphins made more plays. Pretty plain and simple in my book.

Yea that was the game I watched. Dolphins made more plays and fewer mistakes on offense. Chargers made fewer plays and more mistakes on offense. 

Neither defense did much of anything. If anything both defenses that were poor a year ago looked worse.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Dolphins weren't great?  Tons of offense and scoring, Tua throws for damned near 500 yards, and probably has his best game as pro...but apparently this wasn't great b/c the D allowed too much scoring.  That's what this sport is now.

Success is measured by how many you can put on the board, consistently.

The Miami team that played today will beat us twice if we do not have a solid, sharp game, with the offense on its game.

Hell of a game!  If only LA had ended up on top in the end.  Could have gone either way; it went back and forth all day long.

7 lead changes I think; lost count!

You realize Tua threw for nearly 500 yards and had his best game as pro, right?

Relax pal..

They won’t beat us twice 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I hate the Phins as much as the next Bills fan but have to admit some of Tua's passes were really nice. 

i hate to admit.  If you werent on the Dolphins i would begin to hate you less, over time.  That applies to maybe 3 of their players ever.   I'm still a recovering Thurman-hater.   Its deep.

That Tua is an accurate futher-muther. 

I keep watching him thinking "Tyreek Hill.  Ha !"   Lets see some, "mr. accurate."

Today he was dam near perfectly accurate.   Super impressive.  

mother-father

--------

just found a solution:  I'll root for him to lose every game 49-48. 

Edited by maddenboy

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I just don’t know how u can call 2 teams sloppy who combined for 70 points. Tua played beautifully and got the ball where it needed to be. I can admit this as a Bills fan. 

As in pathetic defenses on both sides.  I stand absolutely behind that comment.  Offense is only a little more than 1/3 of the game.  Sloppy.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

As in pathetic defenses on both sides.  I stand absolutely behind that comment.  Offense is only a little more than 1/3 of the game.  Sloppy.

The game plan from the Chargers didn't make much sense. It's like the said "right we were bad against the run last year, it's week 1 let's stop the run" without looking and seeing the Dolphins were their opponents and thinking "hmm maybe we should stop Hill." Playing the Dolphins your first priority should ALWAYS be to slow Tyreek Hill down. If you can limit him to 50-60 yards you can win the game. Trying to stop Mostert at the expense of stopping Hill was just a bad plan. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The game plan from the Chargers didn't make much sense. It's like the said "right we were bad against the run last year, it's week 1 let's stop the run" without looking and seeing the Dolphins were their opponents and thinking "hmm maybe we should stop Hill." Playing the Dolphins your first priority should ALWAYS be to slow Tyreek Hill down. If you can limit him to 50-60 yards you can win the game. Trying to stop Mostert at the expense of stopping Hill was just a bad plan. 

Exactly GB.  For all the hype about a Vic Fangio coached defense, I watched lots of missed assignments on that side as well.

I know it’s fun to see high scoring offenses, but part of that is coming from the other team is not defending you well so you look like all world, when the reality is the other team is playing sub par.  It was on some levels fun to watch, but I was with a dolphins buddy.  He’s a pretty knowledgeable NFL fan and he was ticked at his defense.

So the Fish won in the end, but both teams have a lot of cleaning up to do.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I hate the Phins as much as the next Bills fan but have to admit some of Tua's passes were really nice. 

His receivers got open crazy, his OL protected great and moved defenders to allow Tua to see the middle of the field.  The two throws to Hill at end of game were perfect placed .   I think defense really have to focus on keeping pressure in the middle and keeping hands up some batted balls and hope for turnovers.  BTW really hate Tyrek Hill

Miami is a threat to the Bills, I don’t know where you guys keep coming up with the idea they aren’t.  Tua may not be Allen, but this D isn’t the 49ers either.  People are acting like Tua is a complete bum, that’s just not the case.  He’s not as physically gifted as the real elite guys, but if he can stay healthy, the guy is absolutely a top 10 QB with all that talent around him.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Miami is a threat to the Bills, I don’t know where you guys keep coming up with the idea they aren’t.  Tua may not be Allen, but this D isn’t the 49ers either.  People are acting like Tua is a complete bum, that’s just not the case.  He’s not as physically gifted as the real elite guys, but if he can stay healthy, the guy is absolutely a top 10 QB with all that talent around him.

This won't be popular here. Be prepared for backlash. 

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

If Allen and the Bills did this you guys would be touching yourselves but since it was Tua and the Dolphins, it's all on Chargers defense. Kinda funny

Agree 100 percent. I really like this forum but so many here are not objective. 

Tua threw for 466 and three TDs and many here can't even acknowledge he was excellent. Kind of a sad statement about being realistic. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Didn’t watch the game but from what a friend told me Tua could’ve easily had at least 5 turnovers between fumbles and dropped picks. So the crappy part is all anyone will say all week is how amazing Tua played. Seems as though this was a game where the stats don’t tell the whole story

The NFL stands for Narrative Fabrication League... 

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Didn’t watch the game but from what a friend told me Tua could’ve easily had at least 5 turnovers between fumbles and dropped picks. So the crappy part is all anyone will say all week is how amazing Tua played. Seems as though this was a game where the stats don’t tell the whole story

But that didn't happen. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Cb ints in end zone tries to run it out versus taking touch back. Ends up tackled at 3 chargers go 3 n out and out from own end zone. Next play Hill beats cb for a TD.  Later on in game chargers lead have fins rattled 3 rd and long and agai hill beats them deep.  Later in series again hill beats them for a TD.  the chargers defense let Tua have ample time and left receivers free was Leslie Frazer consulting their D

Well, in the Chargers defense, Hill beats a lot of people. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

But that didn't happen. 

Yeah, agreed, Nuch.

Quite simply you know who played well yesterday? Tua.

As a fandom we should get over this ragging on a guy who generally is pretty good. Yes, he has good tools around him, but still.

We don’t like it when people are nonstop on Allen, or at least were.  Sooner we take the guy seriously the better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

the few scattered moments i saw of this game, tua looked really great.  the miami offense played great, and the chargers gave them one too many opportunities to win.  it happens.  it's just too hard to determine anything from week one.  as i mentioned before, the only way this bills game gets me worried is if they absolutely get rolled.  that just shouldn't happen with this team at this point.  

Definitely seeing a lot of “yea, but…” in regards to the Dolphins yesterday.  

One can clown the Chargers for seeming to be the same team year after year, but the Dolphins looked legit.  

Tua was really good, and he was good doing what we know he’s good at..  Keep him upright and let him throw in rhythm… we all know he’s good at that.  Why is it surprising?

He had guys running wide open all game, but guess what … he hit them… he doesn’t miss if given those opportunities.

And for that reason, the Dolphins are tough, because if you can’t hit him and disrupt his timing, their scheme, speed and talent at WR is going to result in open receivers quite a bit. 

Chargers couldn’t get pressure and their back seven did not look good, at all… but we can’t act like the Dolphins had nothing to do with that.  

Tua may be more system QB than the guys Dolphins fans want to think he’s comparable to, but he’s deadly in the right system if you can’t disrupt timing and when they needed him to be clutch, he threw two ELITE passes late in the 4th to extend a drive and then take the lead. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, LondonBill said:

Good to see the calls for a coach to be fired starting in Week 1.

Surprised they managed to come before Bills had played a down, though. 

In fairness, a lot of people have been calling for Staley to get the boot for 2 years. And yesterday showed a bulk of the reasons why. He's terrible. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

They self destruct …thry have patented it.

the same CB gifted them 3 pts with his PI at end of the half.

Tua is putting up a lot of stats by throwing to wide-open receivers.  But that's the thing -- their receivers can consistently get wide open.  It doesn't matter that Tua is a B+ QB who needs elite talent around him to be successful if they actually put elite talent around him.  Miami is perfectly capable of sweeping us this year if we don't bring our A-game. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Definitely seeing a lot of “yea, but…” in regards to the Dolphins yesterday.  

One can clown the Chargers for seeming to be the same team year after year, but the Dolphins looked legit.  

Tua was really good, and he was good doing what we know he’s good at..  Keep him upright and let him throw in rhythm… we all know he’s good at that.  Why is it surprising?

He had guys running wide open all game, but guess what … he hit them… he doesn’t miss if given those opportunities.

And for that reason, the Dolphins are tough, because if you can’t hit him and disrupt his timing, their scheme, speed and talent at WR is going to result in open receivers quite a bit. 

Chargers couldn’t get pressure and their back seven did not look good, at all… but we can’t act like the Dolphins had nothing to do with that.  

Tua may be more system QB than the guys Dolphins fans want to think he’s comparable to, but he’s deadly in the right system if you can’t disrupt timing and when they needed him to be clutch, he threw two ELITE passes late in the 4th to extend a drive and then take the lead. 

He had guys open because guarding Hill and Waddle is very difficult, even for good defenses

TUA looked sharp that game.   They ran a lot of timing routes, he went through his reads quickly and his throws were on point.   There's always a few times every game where TUA checks first read and if its not there he almost blindly heaves it downfield to Tyreek or Waddle and lets them go make a play on it which they usually do. 

He kinda looks like a Prime Russel Wilson to me at this point.

26 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yeah, agreed, Nuch.

Quite simply you know who played well yesterday? Tua.

As a fandom we should get over this ragging on a guy who generally is pretty good. Yes, he has good tools around him, but still.

We don’t like it when people are nonstop on Allen, or at least were.  Sooner we take the guy seriously the better.

If Tua had been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, or even just the late 1st, I think people would have a more realistic appreciation of his game.  He's a good, solid, well above-average QB with durability issues who can take a team as far as their supporting cast allows.  He is not in the same category as Mahomes, Burrow, or Allen.  If I were building a team from scratch, I would definitely want Herbert over Tua.  But I do think Tua is in the same general tier as players like Lawrence, Fields, Jackson, etc.  Those are good players too, who I think would have similar levels of success if they were on this Miami team.  

The problem is that Tua was heralded as some sort of generational prospect -- "tank for Tua" -- that he obviously isn't.  I mean, he's fine.  He's a good QB.  Miami did not whiff that pick the way Cleveland whiffed on Mayfield or New York whiffed on Darnold.  People just need to find a middle ground between "he's elite" and "he sucks."  Neither of those statements is true.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.