The 2023 - ??? Edmunds Report

FireChans

52 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He is not a wasted draft pick, played pretty well than his free agency offer was not worth matching.

See ya-

... and will become a compensatory 3rd round pick next year because he played himself into a big $ contract.

We need more wasted picks like this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He is not a wasted draft pick, played pretty well than his free agency offer was not worth matching.

See ya-

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't think it was a wasted draft pick. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either and started here for his whole rookie contract. Definitely was not worth paying that money though.

What about " a wasted 1st round draft pick"? 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Really? Another Edmunds thread? Really? 

Listen the football bible says now that Jeff Tuel, Duke Williams, Christian Wade, Nathan Peterman, Tyrod Taylor, and Chris Hogan have departed and time has moved forward someone else needs to take the mantle of the most annoying constant Bill/Ex Bill Threads that never seem to go away.

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah. Every single year since he was drafted. At some point people will just realize he is who he is and it’s not going to change. 

fwiw he’s not terrible. But definitely not worth what he’s making. Was t worth a day one draft pick either. 

I would disagree he wasn't worth a day one draft pick. The biggest plus of Edmunds is he has size few players do that allow for the potential of incredibly great plays to occur. The Miami playoff game deflected pass is an example of this. The flipside is his instincts have always been average and he could get caught out of position easily at times as the following week vs CIN showed.

If your a GM I can 100% buying though on a guy like this who was super young with freakishly great physical tools. He became a good to at times very good pro bowl caliber LB, BUT he never reached the heights either I think you would have wanted if your paying that money and last year was the only season I would say he truly made some impact plays I can remember. By comparison Milano has been doing that since day 1 and I can literally go back from that time on those moments. For the money he is being paid it is that of an All Pro and I doubt he ever reaches that level or honestly last years level again especially now on a Bears defense that is less talented and far less put together then what he got in Buffalo. The pressure is now squarely on him to be the pillar or one of the top 2-3 pillars of that defense. But overall the Bills got a very solid 5 year player for not much financially and if you can consistently get that out of your draft picks that is pretty good. You can't sign everyone and the Bills made the right choice in the guy they paid at LB.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

I would disagree he wasn't worth a day one draft pick. The biggest plus of Edmunds is he has size few players do that allow for the potential of incredibly great plays to occur. The Miami playoff game deflected pass is an example of this. The flipside is his instincts have always been average and he could get caught out of position easily at times as the following week vs CIN showed.

If your a GM I can 100% buying though on a guy like this who was super young with freakishly great physical tools. He became a good to at times very good pro bowl caliber LB, BUT he never reached the heights either I think you would have wanted if your paying that money and last year was the only season I would say he truly made some impact plays I can remember. By comparison Milano has been doing that since day 1 and I can literally go back from that time on those moments. For the money he is being paid it is that of an All Pro and I doubt he ever reaches that level or honestly last years level again especially now on a Bears defense that is less talented and far less put together then what he got in Buffalo. The pressure is now squarely on him to be the pillar or one of the top 2-3 pillars of that defense. But overall the Bills got a very solid 5 year player for not much financially and if you can consistently get that out of your draft picks that is pretty good. You can't sign everyone and the Bills made the right choice in the guy they paid at LB.

If the player isn't worth a second contract, they aren't worth trading up in the first round for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Listen the football bible says now that Jeff Tuel, Duke Williams, Christian Wade, Nathan Peterman, Tyrod Taylor, and Chris Hogan have departed and time has moved forward someone else needs to take the mantle of the most annoying constant Bill/Ex Bill Threads that never seem to go away.

image.jpeg.c9a55908fb6641064d224b09aa4d5a10.jpeg
"I suggest you reconsider that list to include one of the finest WRs who ever attended Alabama, and was woefully cast aside by the Buffalo Bills:  Robert Foster, you lop eared varmints!"

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't think so. Although I do think people are too easy on McD around here, I think there actually has been a fair amount of criticism for the resources that have been poured into the D without results when they could've gone to the offense. 

Too easy on McD? He’s now coached 100 games for the Bills and his 63 wins are the all time best in franchise history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

He took the $ to play on the worst team in the NFL. We would never hear from him again if not for threads like this. He's completely irrelevant now. If $ is more important to him than winning then let him go. We wouldn't want someone like him anyways. It was pretty clear he was all about potential and he was never going to be that player he was projected to be

1 hour ago, colin said:

it was 100% right to let him walk, bernard looks like a good pick so far this season (so far, i am not sold he's our long term answer), but he was far from a bad or wasted pick.

5 years starting at MLB on a top D is way over expectation for even a 1st round pick.  he's just simply not as good of a football player as he is of an athlete.

No brainer. I appreciate what he did on his rookie deal though. 

Milano looks better than ever next to Bernard.  Not sure it's for that reason but he looks phenomenal and Bernard is showing little to no drop off

• Like (+1) 6

59 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He was drafted #16 so not really .

He pretty much played ad expected

You think? 16th overall comes with higher expectations imo.   I was disappointed with him.  Considering his god given size and athleticism plus being the son of a solid nfl

player, I was expecting him to create turnovers and have a nose for the ball.  Forcing fumbles, interceptions, tipped passes, strip sacks etc.  He was the complete opposite as he just doesn’t seem to have the instincts or an extra gear.  

He played very well in his contract year and did his family good.  The bears FO is 💩 Worthy of an 11-12m contract imo

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, NewEra said:

You think? 16th overall comes with higher expectations imo.   I was disappointed with him.  Considering his god given size and athleticism plus being the son of a solid nfl

player, I was expecting him to create turnovers and have a nose for the ball.  Forcing fumbles, interceptions, tipped passes, strip sacks etc.  He was the complete opposite as he just doesn’t seem to have the instincts or an extra gear.  

He played very well in his contract year and did his family good.  The bears FO is 💩 Worthy of an 11-12m contract imo

I could never live with 18 mil

• Agree 1

Replaced by a player who is more mobile and more physical for 17 million a year less. Looking for the downside, maybe "doesn't know the D as well" or "doesn't have the same impact in children's shadow theater". I'm good with the tradeoff.

Edited by AKC
  • Agree 1

What is this obsession with this player?Can’t we just agree that he is the classic example of a MLB that had just enough talent and production to make generational money for his family. To those Edmunds detractors, it wasn’t his fault that we choked away the 13seconds game or got bum rushed by the Bengals, The guy saved his best performance for his walk year and catapulted himself into the highest dollar contract for anyone  at his position. An American feel good story.

13 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

What is this obsession with this player?Can’t we just agree that he is the classic example of a MLB that had just enough talent and production to make generational money for his family. To those Edmunds detractors, it wasn’t his fault that we choked away the 13seconds game or got bum rushed by the Bengals, The guy saved his best performance for his walk year and catapulted himself into the highest dollar contract for anyone  at his position. An American feel good story.

No one is obsessed with Edmunds. It’s perfectly natural to wonder if the team made the correct decision in letting a 1st round draft pick who we traded up for walk after being a 5 year starter. I LOVED the Edmunds pick. I thought we had our starting MLB for a decade at least. After a couple years I started to wonder if he would ever develop instincts. During his 5th year, he played better but it still wasn’t instinctual. Still, I was convinced McBean were going to sign him to an extension and I couldn’t have been more wrong. I’m thrilled we didn’t pay him 18 million, he’s not worth that and he’s never going to live up to it. Guys don’t just “get it” after 5 years, they either have it or they don’t. Edmunds is an above average LB because of his elite physical and athletic traits but has horrible instincts. He’s being replaced so far by guy half his size who has already made more splash plays and is getting paid about 16 million less. Now the book hasn’t been written on Bernard yet, and I’d say 80% of this board wrote him off after one game of his rookie year, but so far has anyone noticed a lack of Edmunds? I’d say no. I wish Tremaine the best, I wish he worked out here, but right now it looks like McBeane made the correct call not only by letting him walk but by giving Bernard the opportunity to play MLB. Time will tell.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

No one is obsessed with Edmunds. It’s perfectly natural to wonder if the team made the correct decision in letting a 1st round draft pick who we traded up for walk after being a 5 year starter. I LOVED the Edmunds pick. I thought we had our starting MLB for a decade at least. After a couple years I started to wonder if he would ever develop instincts. During his 5th year, he played better but it still wasn’t instinctual. Still, I was convinced McBean were going to sign him to an extension and I couldn’t have been more wrong. I’m thrilled we didn’t pay him 18 million, he’s not worth that and he’s never going to live up to it. Guys don’t just “get it” after 5 years, they either have it or they don’t. Edmunds is an above average LB because of his elite physical and athletic traits but has horrible instincts. He’s being replaced so far by guy half his size who has already made more splash plays and is getting paid about 16 million less. Now the book hasn’t been written on Bernard yet, and I’d say 80% of this board wrote him off after one game of his rookie year, but so far has anyone noticed a lack of Edmunds? I’d say no. I wish Tremaine the best, I wish he worked out here, but right now it looks like McBeane made the correct call not only by letting him walk but by giving Bernard the opportunity to play MLB. Time will tell.

The fact that Beane didn’t get into a bidding war for Edmunds was a no brainer. With Josh, Diggs, Miller, Morse, Dawkins, White and the safeties  getting healthy % of the cap, that position didn’t warrant the money he was offered by others . You should get used to monster contracts though because players are overpaid routinely depending on whether their QBs are in their 2nd contract. Be careful diminishing Edmunds and anointing Bernard as a better option after one good game. Wait for him to average over 100 tackles a year while being the signal caller and leader of the defense and playing an average of 15 games a season for a  division winner the last 3 years. I know Edmunds haters want to kick the guy in the ass after he takes a huge contract. He had “bad instincts “, didn’t make enough “splash plays”., but the guy was great last year and his teammates loved him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I fixed that Crack with duck tape. Sometimes the coffee tastes like glue..

I think you may have been scammed. They may have given you duct tape, which lacks the wonderful rich flavor of duck, when properly prepared. 

How much did you pay? That could be a clue as to the fairness of your transaction. Or did you buy by the inch? People will try to take advantage of people in need……how sad. 

😋

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like the line of thought that the Bears can get out of that contract after the 2024 season, and likely will. And he'll end up back on the Bills at a far more affordable number, and at only 27.

This place would implode and be glorious. Oh so glorious. 

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.