4 cut candidates on Bills’ roster ahead of NFL training camp

PrimeTime101

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/4-cut-candidates-on-bills-roster-ahead-of-nfl-training-camp/ar-AA1dE08J?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=711a4dba575746aa98de8c5f655de11a&ei=13

Mitch Morse

Center Mitch Morse has struggled with injuries and has a high salary cap hit. According to reports, the Bills could save $6-7 million in cap space by cutting Morse. He is a reliable center for the Bills, but his $11.3 million salary is a lot to pay for a player who has not been playing at an elite level. According to PFF’s metrics, Morse was the 24th-ranked center in the league and gave up three sacks during the 2022 season  (What the article does not explain is the trash guards Morse has had around him that does severly effect "pff metrics"

Latavius Murray

Running back Latavius Murray is likewise a cut candidate despite being signed in the offseason. He currently sits third on the pecking order behind James Cook and Damien Harris. Murray has a high salary cap hit of $3.5 million, and the Bills have a crowded backfield. Take note that the Bills typically have four running backs on their roster, but one of those spots went to Taiwan Jones, who primarily played special teams. Latavius Murray has not played much special teams later in his career, so he may not fit that role.

(I can see this happening but they need bodies for camp. And i find that funny considering the next player on the list.)

Nyheim Hines

If Murray stays, then we think another running back might get cut, and that’s Nyheim Hines. While he is a talented player, Hines is behind Murray on the depth chart as of today. Again, the Bills have a crowded backfield and may need to make some tough decisions about which players to keep. His role on the Buffalo Bills is being questioned, as the team could save $4.8 million by cutting him since he has no guaranteed money in 2023. (I guess they forgot about his contribution's on the special teams... They say we are crowded yet Mims is likely PS candidate that leaves us with 4 RB's  /Last year we had 2 RB's that played special teams, Jones and Hines. )

Dean Marlowe

Safety Dean Marlowe recently signed a one-year deal to return to the Bills. However, he faces an uphill battle at safety. Recall that the Bills already have Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Taylor Rapp, and Damar Hamlin. Marlowe was acquired by the Bills amid Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer’s injury, and he became a starter after Damar Hamlin’s injury in the playoffs. While Marlowe made an impact in the playoffs, he faces tough competition for a roster spot in the crowded secondary. This is the only one that makes sense.

You would think these guys would be talking with people with a little more insight to what is going on then first appearances and pff.  

thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I thought Himes restructured to lower his salary but got guaranteed money to do so?

Article seems poorly written with no understanding of what has happened this off-season.

I agree and this is my whole point of saying this... people need to stop believing everything the media says.... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I like Mitch and don't think he'd be cut for performance reasons - not an all-pro but decent enough to start here. I just worry about his health - he could be one concussion away from retirement and I'd hate for that to happen. Part if me was a little surprised he's playing this year - really thought he might hang it up after last season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

I like Mitch and don't think he'd be cut for performance reasons - not an all-pro but decent enough to start here. I just worry about his health - he could be one concussion away from retirement and I'd hate for that to happen. Part if me was a little surprised he's playing this year - really thought he might hang it up after last season.

Right now, cutting the best center we have makes no sense. He gets a concussion this offseason or preseason? that changes things quickly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/4-cut-candidates-on-bills-roster-ahead-of-nfl-training-camp/ar-AA1dE08J?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=711a4dba575746aa98de8c5f655de11a&ei=13

Mitch Morse

Center Mitch Morse has struggled with injuries and has a high salary cap hit. According to reports, the Bills could save $6-7 million in cap space by cutting Morse. He is a reliable center for the Bills, but his $11.3 million salary is a lot to pay for a player who has not been playing at an elite level. According to PFF’s metrics, Morse was the 24th-ranked center in the league and gave up three sacks during the 2022 season  (What the article does not explain is the trash guards Morse has had around him that does severly effect "pff metrics"

thoughts? 

Ryan bates play has been far from "trash". I think his play has been better than Morse overall. One could argue he's playing between two weak players in Morse and Brown.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

They will trim down the defensive line before anything.  Basham and Epinesa are probably on the way out. 

Why would they move Epinesa when he went from 1.5 sacks to 6.5 last year? Teams usually don't get rid of guys who are showing improvement and increasing their sack totals by 5 year over year.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Nyheim Hines

If Murray stays, then we think another running back might get cut, and that’s Nyheim Hines. While he is a talented player, Hines is behind Murray on the depth chart as of today. Again, the Bills have a crowded backfield and may need to make some tough decisions about which players to keep. His role on the Buffalo Bills is being questioned, as the team could save $4.8 million by cutting him since he has no guaranteed money in 2023. (I guess they forgot about his contribution's on the special teams... They say we are crowded yet Mims is likely PS candidate that leaves us with 4 RB's  /Last year we had 2 RB's that played special teams, Jones and Hines. )

The recent ST rule change can't help Hines much either.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The recent ST rule change can't help Hines much either.

That rule favors Hines. Why does everyone think that every returner is going to town it within say the 10? Hines is talented enough to take risks when asked to. HE will keep special teams on their toes. You think they wont let a guy like Hines go for it often enough?

11 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ryan bates play has been far from "trash". I think his play has been better than Morse overall. One could argue he's playing between two weak players in Morse and Brown.

I would argue right now that a healthy Morse is better than Bates and its not close for me. Again, having 2 good guards around a Center changes everything. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Mitch Morse

Latavius Murray

Running back Latavius Murray is likewise a cut candidate despite being signed in the offseason. He currently sits third on the pecking order behind James Cook and Damien Harris. Murray has a high salary cap hit of $3.5 million, and the Bills have a crowded backfield. Take note that the Bills typically have four running backs on their roster, but one of those spots went to Taiwan Jones, who primarily played special teams. Latavius Murray has not played much special teams later in his career, so he may not fit that role.

(I can see this happening but they need bodies for camp. And i find that funny considering the next player on the list.)

Nyheim Hines

Dean Marlowe

Safety Dean Marlowe recently signed a one-year deal to return to the Bills. However, he faces an uphill battle at safety. Recall that the Bills already have Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Taylor Rapp, and Damar Hamlin. Marlowe was acquired by the Bills amid Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer’s injury, and he became a starter after Damar Hamlin’s injury in the playoffs. While Marlowe made an impact in the playoffs, he faces tough competition for a roster spot in the crowded secondary. This is the only one that makes sense.

You would think these guys would be talking with people with a little more insight to what is going on then first appearances and pff.  

thoughts? 

Agree, Marlowe is the only one that makes total sense. 

With Hines restructure and his return ability it makes more sense to keep him and his value may increase if Cook misses any time with injury.

Murray doesn't make sense as a cut candidate for what they would save by it. I have said in the past that there may be a path where he does not start on the 53 man roster but is placed on the practice squad to start the year. This keeps him available in case Harris misses time and for him, keeps him local where he wants to be to set up his post playing career. It would be a win/win for player and team and it would not shock me if this was discussed prior to his signing here.

Morse is the tricky one. The price tag is rather high and his concussion history is an issue. Yes, the Bills would save a huge amount with a cut. However, they had better be darn sure that Bates, Edwards or whoever they slot in there isn't a downgrade. They spend money to bring in some FA (potential) upgrades and invested hight draft capital (2nd rounder) for another to upgrade the IOL. I don't see them willing to possibly throw that into disarray by moving on from the guy that has been the most consistent OL we have had.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Right now, cutting the best center we have makes no sense. He gets a concussion this offseason or preseason? that changes things quickly. 

Not saying we should cut him, but certainly lots of questions here and the team needs to have a plan in case he takes another blow to the head. If that plan is to make a move now so be it - wouldn't totally shock me if the Bills made some sort of move if there's an opportunity but I can also see Mitch playing as well.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

No offense but why do people insist on weighing in on what’s best for players and their profession?

I’m sure that Mitch is a big boy that can make grown up decisions not to mention team doctors that say it’s OK for him to play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bills!Win! said:

Damar got injured in the playoffs?

I'm not sure how the team views Damar's status right now, or if he will be on the team in training camp as though nothing happened....but I can't see him playing on the team again.  I'm sure the team will be handling this in a sensitive way.

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Mitch Morse

Latavius Murray

Nyheim Hines

Dean Marlowe

thoughts? 

I see carrying 4 backs with murray as the most likely gameday inactive of the 4, and as depth behind harris as a between the tackles running back.  Hines i see as Cooks primary backup, as well as primary returner.  I'd like to see them use him a bit as a 3rd down back as well just to continue to use a variety of weapons with different skills to pressure defenses.  

Depth behind morse is where i just don't see it.  Maybe bates can be close to as good, but if he were to miss any time its a huge drop off to the next guys.  I also think having familiarity with the QB is huge.  Offensive line hasn't been a strength under Beane so I don't think its wise to move someone who's been one of our better starters here.  

Marlowe i don't even know if he's on the bubble - he's likely off this roster if no one is injured.  Neal, Jackson, Benford will all need to play special teams to make the roster, and he doesn't offer enough on defense to make it over any of them.  

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Epenesa had 6.5 sacks, tied for 55th in the league, not bad for 3rd DE on the depth chart. 

10 linemen - depends on von's status.  I see it like the below

DE- Von, Groot, Floyd, and some combination of lawson, Basham, Epenesa, and maybe Ray (though i doubt he does much here). 

DT- DQ, Ford, Oliver, Phillips (assuming healthy), Settle

If von misses time on PUP, or gets put on IR with roster shenanigans to miss the first 4 games, it becomes easier.  If he's healthy then AJ gets you the best cap savings... but also pretty negligible so you aren't making a decision at DE around dollars and cents.  

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Boogie for sure. AJ I think they'll keep. 

Inqas listening to Movin the Chains on NFLR, and they do an interesting segment over 6 weeks or so as they break down each position group with analytics and they surprise casual fans with their grades out of 20.

They were discussing the edge rusher group as they separate the D Line into interior and edge rusher to eliminate the 3/4 vs. 4/3.   They ranked us at 19 out of 20 and 4th in the NFL.

My point here is they in each group indicate who has a player to give like KC has a player to give on the O Line.  They stated we should trade away 1 guy in TC and even mentioned a trade partner that makes sense in AZ.  I can see Basham going there.

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Mitch Morse

Latavius Murray

Nyheim Hines

Dean Marlowe

thoughts? 

Well today's BN has a very similar article and lists Murray or Hines as a potential cut/trade and also Marlowe.  That was written by someone with more insight and says the same thing.  The BN article actually had 6 or 7 potential cuts and stated that if the team feels Hardy can be their return man then Hines could go which makes sense.

The Bills have a surplus of interior lineman so could see Morse getting cut as does save money.  Less likely here, but could happen.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never thought Latavius Murray would make the 53. I still don't.

Yeah I think they probably have an understanding that he won't make the roster unless someone gets injured..........but will be around on the practice squad all season for certain.    At the very least,  even if there is an injury and he figured into the immediate plans,  I suspect could still be one of those non-waiver eligible veteran guys who would be released to protect a more coveted player while they set up someone to go on IR in week 1.   Like they did with Andre Roberts a few years ago.

The guarantee given was probably just a way of paying a premium over practice squad money in a manner that sorta' circumvents the cap because they already have veteran minimum contracts on the back end of the 51 that count against the cap.    I haven't heard it spoken as such but I suppose one advantage of being cap strapped and loaded with vet contracts is that you can play around with vet minimum type guarantees because you aren't leaning on day 3 rookie contracts to keep you under the cap.

• Agree 1

This is likely Morse and Hines last year on the team.  Minimal cap savings this year but $13M in 2024.  Murray is signed for the vet min, not sure where the $3.5M is coming from.  If he’s cut, it has nothing to do with his cap charge.  If I had to guess on player cuts, none of these guys would be on my list.  

This article is not only unrealistic, it is completely void of fact.  Based on your comments, the article didn’t pass your smell test, so why create a thread referencing it? 

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This is likely Morse and Hines last year on the team.  Minimal cap savings this year but $13M in 2024.  Murray is signed for the vet min, not sure where the $3.5M is coming from.  If he’s cut, it has nothing to do with his cap charge.  If I had to guess on player cuts, none of these guys would be on my list.  

This article is not only unrealistic, and is completely void of fact.  Based on your comments, the article didn’t pass your smell test, so why create a thread referencing it? 

spot on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I can see Dean Marlowe being a cut.  In fact I expect it as I think Buffalo carries four safeties: Poyer, Hyde, Rapp and Hamlin.  I would be shocked if any of the others on the list are cut.

Hamlin is a massive question mark.  Tough to come back emotionally from something catastrophic like that.

3 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

They will trim down the defensive line before anything.  Basham and Epinesa are probably on the way out. 

Agree...Basham and AJ aren't long for this team. You keep Hines as your KR and RB depth. This will probably be Morse's final season. Not sure what's happening with Murray or Marlowe but I think they'll be casualties too.

Agree article is not well written.

I agree almost all the guys could be gone, but more likely traded. 

Talking RB, don't snooze on UDFA Dark horse Jordan Mims. He had 19 TDs last year and 1400 yards at Fresno St. Guy has worked hard and produced. 

Murray was cut off on on last year and bounced on PS. He could easily be a cut w/ the same role and expectation. 

Hines is far too talented to cut and has trade value. I still say he makes the team. He is one injury to Cook away from being a critical player on the team. We would not have an ability to stash him on the PS. 

I don't think Morse will be cut. Bills have options here, but I think they would keep him. He's too good. His downside that he's one concussion away from retirement is valid, but the bills have several options to shift him to IR if needed. If that were to happen, yes I could see him being retired or let go. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Mitch Morse

Latavius Murray

Nyheim Hines

Dean Marlowe

thoughts? 

I'm all for this if it's to make room for a talent like Deandre Hopkins 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I agree and this is my whole point of saying this... people need to stop believing everything the media says.... 

I agree. Believe me instead!

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think he'll be trade bait at the end of camp.

Maybe a 7th rounder. He has so much equity. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I think he'll be trade bait at the end of camp.

He was available for anyone to sign for quite a long time. I can't imagine anyone would trade for him.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.