4 cut candidates on Bills’ roster ahead of NFL training camp

PrimeTime101

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never thought Latavius Murray would make the 53. I still don't.

I think you forget, there is no primary back on this team if Harris goes down and he has a history of it.  Murray, though not spectacular, becomes the #1 guy if Harris isn’t playing.  He’s almost a lock to make the team.  Cook is not going to be the lead back, he’s a 3rd down/receiving back.  They need somebody to hammer the ball in at the goal line, besides Josh and it’s arguable the best player on the team for that is Murray.  Hynes is the bubble guy, he has to hold on to his return job to make the game day roster.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Do you have a point man? I mean... to answer your question, I would say the quality was the same depending on who played. Saffold was a mess and got beat often when he started. It just depended who was on the field but I am sure your point is that if the quality was the same and Morse got worse why would we blame the guards. And to the answer to that was poor quality starters depending on the week of the season. 

The degression of the line had much to do with when Saffold was starting and if you cant agree with me on that, then these numbers do not lie. BASE PFF for Saffold last year? 43.7 overall, 10 penalties (6th in the league)

You have a guy like that starting next to your Center, it most certainly does effect the Centers ability to do his job. 

.Not taking the double teams properly against 1 tech

.Not sliding to one side or another to support as he should.

the list could go on. 

And for people that think Bates was good or even average on the other side? His base pff was 61.8. Obviously better then Saffold but nothing great right?  And speaking of OLINE Men on the decline? Bates was 67.5 in 2020 and went down to 61.8 and if that is not enough for you? Dawkins went from a 78.1 in 2020 to a 73.5 in 22. Guys around you matter when it comes to the Lines. 

I do not know how else to answer your vague questions than this.  

I can’t read his posts anymore but I’d venture to say that his only point is to get under your skin.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think you forget, there is no primary back on this team if Harris goes down and he has a history of it.  Murray, though not spectacular, becomes the #1 guy if Harris isn’t playing.  He’s almost a lock to make the team.  Cook is not going to be the lead back, he’s a 3rd down/receiving back.  They need somebody to hammer the ball in at the goal line, besides Josh and it’s arguable the best player on the team for that is Murray.  Hynes is the bubble guy, he has to hold on to his return job to make the game day roster.

Murray at this stage isn't a lead back either. He can be a goalline and shot yardage back, sure, but you can elevate him from the PS if that's what you need. I'd rather give Cook the ball 12-14 times than Murray. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Murray at this stage isn't a lead back either. He can be a goalline and shot yardage back, sure, but you can elevate him from the PS if that's what you need. I'd rather give Cook the ball 12-14 times than Murray. 

Right. If Murray is getting regular work, then something (injury, Cook not stepping up, etc.) has gone wrong.

Having said that, in a sea of "everything's gone wrong" last year in Denver, Murray stood out as a steady, productive back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Only $10m dead for Tre after this year. Designated as post June and split in two that is very affordable. If he doesn't look good this year he is done after the season. 

No way they are cutting AJE. He had his best season last year, actually post Von was our most effective rusher and is still cheap as chips on the final year of his rookie deal. Groot, Von, Floyd and AJE are nailed on as our top 4 edge guys IMO. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting that?

I am seeing 6.5 if they cut him after this year for 2024 and 12.5 for 2025.

So about 19 mil in dead cap. Unless I’m not understanding it correctly 

https://overthecap.com/player/tredavious-white/5611

10 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’m not sure where you’re getting that?

I am seeing 6.5 if they cut him after this year for 2024 and 12.5 for 2025.

So about 19 mil in dead cap. Unless I’m not understanding it correctly 

https://overthecap.com/player/tredavious-white/5611

Dead money is the left of the two columns in red - it's $10.3m is they cut him in 2024 (and that is cumulative of the $4m for 2025). $6.5m is the cap saving in 2024. $12.5m is the cap saving in 2025. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Dead money is the left of the two columns in red - it's $10.3m is they cut him in 2024 (and that is cumulative of the $4m for 2025). $6.5m is the cap saving in 2024. $12.5m is the cap saving in 2025. 

Ahh ya read that wrong. So dead would be about 10 in 2024 and just over 4 in 2025 by the looks of it.

If they only save 6 mil after this year, I can’t see them cutting him though unless he’s truly awful.

Hes realistically got 2 years left I think as 2025 looks like a better opportunity to move on.

24 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ahh ya read that wrong. So dead would be about 10 in 2024 and just over 4 in 2025 by the looks of it.

If they only save 6 mil after this year, I can’t see them cutting him though unless he’s truly awful.

Hes realistically got 2 years left I think as 2025 looks like a better opportunity to move on.

6mil in savings will be one of our bigger individual save numbers. If he plays like he did after his return last year he is an easy cut. If he gets back to form they will keep him. 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

6mil in savings will be one of our bigger individual save numbers. If he plays like he did after his return last year he is an easy cut. If he gets back to form they will keep him. 

Yes but given the deap cap number and them needing to replace tre white with that 6 mil for a veteran corner (unless they roll with Benford and Elam but I can’t see that) you’re really not looking at a ton of savings 

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

accept if you read what I said, i did that already. 

13 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sir i do not have pff any more. i believe his base was in low to mid 60's but you know who his guards were by him and how bad they were....

Was looking for Morse's numbers by year.  but nevermind.  It's all the Guards' fault.....

On 7/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree, Marlowe is the only one that makes total sense. 

With Hines restructure and his return ability it makes more sense to keep him and his value may increase if Cook misses any time with injury.

Murray doesn't make sense as a cut candidate for what they would save by it. I have said in the past that there may be a path where he does not start on the 53 man roster but is placed on the practice squad to start the year. This keeps him available in case Harris misses time and for him, keeps him local where he wants to be to set up his post playing career. It would be a win/win for player and team and it would not shock me if this was discussed prior to his signing here.

Morse is the tricky one. The price tag is rather high and his concussion history is an issue. Yes, the Bills would save a huge amount with a cut. However, they had better be darn sure that Bates, Edwards or whoever they slot in there isn't a downgrade. They spend money to bring in some FA (potential) upgrades and invested hight draft capital (2nd rounder) for another to upgrade the IOL. I don't see them willing to possibly throw that into disarray by moving on from the guy that has been the most consistent OL we have had.

Morse Murray and Hines are all good NFL players.  You don't cut good players.  You find a way to keep them.

I like Morse more then a lot of people I guess.  He is tough, a leader and an above average Center.  If he can keep playing at a reasonably high level, I would extend him for another couple more years so he can finish his career as a Bill.  No reason he can't play til he is 34 or 35.  The guy isn't an All Pro.  But he is super solid.  

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Was looking for Morse's numbers by year.  but nevermind.  It's all the Guards' fault.....

how about stop being LAZY and look it up yourself? I told you the numbers he regressed between 2020-22. You really need that number so bad? look it up man. The number is between 20-22. Use your imagination. Unless you want to talk about why it is not the guards fault I am all ears. I think others are right though. just trying to get under my skin. have a nice day!

you never argued one point other than wanting one number. nice try! Guess this is not a team sport where it could not be possible where one player vastly effects another huh? 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I can’t read his posts anymore but I’d venture to say that his only point is to get under your skin.  

he obviously thinks guard play does not have an ill effect on centers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

how about stop being LAZY and look it up yourself? I told you the numbers he regressed between 2020-22. You really need that number so bad? look it up man. The number is between 20-22. Use your imagination. Unless you want to talk about why it is not the guards fault I am all ears. I think others are right though. just trying to get under my skin. have a nice day!

you never argued one point other than wanting one number. nice try! Guess this is not a team sport where it could not be possible where one player vastly effects another huh? 

he obviously thinks guard play does not have an ill effect on centers. 

It's always a treat when a poster puts something out there and then tells others to provide the data to prove his point.

Strong work.  

But here are the numbers the past 5 seasons:  61.4, 63.4, 65.8, 66.3, 70.3.  Clearly, his play has shown steady decline over this period--it's not a sudden drop in one season because of bad Guard play in 2022.  So your argument is nonsense.  

That's why you would post his PFF grades.

Edited by Mr. WEO

21 hours ago, 947 said:

I think Bates is little to no drop off from Morse, and probably a better run-blocker. The problem we had with Bates playing Center was that forced us to have 2 awful OGs on the field instead of just 1 in Saffold.

Now that we've added 3 OGs who are all upgrades, we'll be in a solid position if Bates plays Center. And let's face it, Morse is more likely to miss some time this season than play all 17 games.

I'm not sure how you can say that based off of a couple hundred snaps.  I'll give him an INC for the miami game since we were a cobbled together mess on the offensive line.  Then you have Detroit who had among the worst defenses in the league, and Chicago... who also had among the worst defenses in the league.  

Bates wasn't even a very good RG last year, and may be a backup if he doesn't win a job against a rookie.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That’s my point exactly, there is no lead back on this team IF Harris gets hurt.  If he does, there’s nobody to pick up the power game, but Allen.  This goes back to my dislike of the pick of Cook as he’s not REALLY a starter and you shouldn’t be using 2nd round picks on guys who are so limited.   That said, we have him, and a very similar player in Hynes.  Then you have Harris, who is talented, but has not stayed healthy and Murray who is better than people want to give him credit for, but is not the guy you WANT starting.  That said, the only lead backs on this team are Harris and Murray, the other two are simply not guys who are built for, nor run with the style of a #1 back. 

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

That’s my point exactly, there is no lead back on this team IF Harris gets hurt.  If he does, there’s nobody to pick up the power game, but Allen.  This goes back to my dislike of the pick of Cook as he’s not REALLY a starter and you shouldn’t be using 2nd round picks on guys who are so limited.   That said, we have him, and a very similar player in Hynes.  Then you have Harris, who is talented, but has not stayed healthy and Murray who is better than people want to give him credit for, but is not the guy you WANT starting.  That said, the only lead backs on this team are Harris and Murray, the other two are simply not guys who are built for, nor run with the style of a #1 back. 

So in your mind Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, and Austin Ekeler are not lead backs?

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So in your mind Christian McCaffrey, Aaron Jones, and Austin Ekeler are not lead backs?

They are and they have enough power to lower a shoulder and score as well, something Cook has never shown.  They also have exceptional contact balance, another thing he lacks.  Cook is a finesse player, those guys are complete players, though CMC and Ekeler are on a different planet than Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I have been a big fan of Latavius through his career. But at this stage he is a not a #1 back. He is a goalline and short yardage only player. 

I don't love the Cook pick either but he has to get a lot of the ball. He will be more productive with it at this stage of his career than Murray.

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

They are and they have enough power to lower a shoulder and score as well, something Cook has never shown.  They also have exceptional contact balance, another thing he lacks.  Cook is a finesse player, those guys are complete players, though CMC and Ekeler are on a different planet than Jones. 

Ekeler is a finesse back too.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been a big fan of Latavius through his career. But at this stage he is a not a #1 back. He is a goalline and short yardage only player. 

Yeah I can't remember where I heard it but I guess Harris and Murray were two of the very best backs in the league at gaining yards inside the 10 yard line last season so I think their signings were probably analytics plays.    I am sure it's like that with Harty as well.........he has done something they feel they lack like YAC or getting separation.   I'm not anti-analytics by any means but I am dubious of a lot of the data that teams isolate as important.    

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'm not sure how you can say that based off of a couple hundred snaps.  I'll give him an INC for the miami game since we were a cobbled together mess on the offensive line.  Then you have Detroit who had among the worst defenses in the league, and Chicago... who also had among the worst defenses in the league.  

Bates wasn't even a very good RG last year, and may be a backup if he doesn't win a job against a rookie.  

I'm of the opinion that Bates is a better Center than OG. I agree he'll likely be a backup at Guard this year, but I think he's our Center in 2024 & I'm OK with that.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's always a treat when a poster puts something out there and then tells others to provide the data to prove his point.

Strong work.  

But here are the numbers the past 5 seasons:  61.4, 63.4, 65.8, 66.3, 70.3.  Clearly, his play has shown steady decline over this period--it's not a sudden drop in one season because of bad Guard play in 2022.  So your argument is nonsense.  

That's why you would post his PFF grades.

And if you think PFF numbers on one person tells everything of why he is putting up those numbers then you are clueless. You think Guard play does not effect the Center play then I do not know what to tell you. This is common Football Knowledge man. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

And if you think PFF numbers on one person tells everything of why he is putting up those numbers then you are clueless. You think Guard play does not effect the Center play then I do not know what to tell you. This is common Football Knowledge man. 

I'm sure Guard play will factor into his ratings.  Unfortunately, you singled out last season as some sort of aberration for Morse and blamed it on the G's last year.  But clearly, his PFF numbers (which you brought to this discussion. to back your point) show a guy an aging lineman is slow steady decline, no matter who has been on either side of him over a 5 year period.

So your argument falls flat for obvious reasons and with the data source you have cited.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love the Cook pick either but he has to get a lot of the ball. He will be more productive with it at this stage of his career than Murray.

Ekeler is a finesse back too.

I disagree with everything outside of not loving the Cook pick.  Murray has been very good for a long time and does not have a ton of miles on him, if I had to take one back to get the touches, I’ll take the guy who can run like a real back.  Ekeler is about as much finesse as CMC, he’s “small”, but the guy has tree trunks and powers through a lot of contact.  There’s a reason he lead the league in TDs most of the year.  It’s not because the Chargers have a substantially better OC than the Bills. He’s a lot closer to Marshall Faulk than Jerome Bettis, so I get what you are saying, but he’s really the definition of an every down back. 

• Disagree 1

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Shorter is an extremely interesting player to me

And I don’t think we’re going to see this year. Just how good he can be the log jam in front of him is just too high, but he does play special teams, which will keep him on the roster.

All the physical tools are there

Shorter was a late round pick for a reason.   The guy was a higher rated prospect than Jamar Chase out of high-school, he sucked in college.  He transferred because he blamed the coaches, needed to “be used properly” and still was a nobody at Florida.   The chances of a guy like that magically realizing he has to work at the craft and becoming something are next to nothing.  He’s a physical specimen, but we’ve seen plenty of them end up out of the league in a big hurry.  I expect the same for him.  I also hope he reads this and decides to prove some random fan wrong and becomes MegaTron, I figure that’s as likely as me hitting the lotto I don’t play.

15 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Shorter was a late round pick for a reason.   The guy was a higher rated prospect than Jamar Chase out of high-school, he sucked in college.  He transferred because he blamed the coaches, needed to “be used properly” and still was a nobody at Florida.   The chances of a guy like that magically realizing he has to work at the craft and becoming something are next to nothing.  He’s a physical specimen, but we’ve seen plenty of them end up out of the league in a big hurry.  I expect the same for him.  I also hope he reads this and decides to prove some random fan wrong and becomes MegaTron, I figure that’s as likely as me hitting the lotto I don’t play.

We need to see what the problems are

It’s not hands because he catches everything around him

It’s not speed because he’s plenty fast

He has all the physical attributes

Sometimes guys click in the pros that don’t click in college. That’s how you find your gems

I just like that it’s not like we have to depend on him get his feet wet in special teams and lead him go from there

On 7/10/2023 at 10:04 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

You would think these guys would be talking with people with a little more insight to what is going on then first appearances and pff.  

thoughts? 

Who do you mean by "these guys"?  The author of this piece?  I think he's just a freelance writer grinding out words.  Here's his bio:

Enzo Flojo

Enzo Flojo is an Associate Editor at ClutchPoints and a columnist for Asian basketball at FIBA. He brings a dynamic spirit and background, having expertise that spans writing, analytics, coaching, and broadcasting. He is also currently an Assistant Coach on Scouting & Analytics for the Philippine national youth basketball team.

https://clutchpoints.com/author/enzoflojo

Why do you think an articles written by an Asian basketball scout/coach reflects insider info?

I'd be happy to ask Karch Kiraly's opinion on volleyball or beating colon cancer - he's got the inside line on both - but not on American football

If I want to know about basketball in Asian countries sounds like Mr Flojo might be my guy.

Edited by Beck Water

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins is our best lineman. But Morse is a solid center. Good in pass pro, less so in run blocking. I would not support cutting him. 

Dawkins needs to clean a lot of things up. He was not his usual standard last year

Hopefully he bounces back 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dawkins is our best lineman. But Morse is a solid center. Good in pass pro, less so in run blocking. I would not support cutting him. 

Right On.  You don't improve an OL by cutting one of the best players on it.

Cover1 has done a piece before pointing out that Morse is an excellent run blocker when used correctly, with video that makes their case pretty well IMHO.  What he is not, is a run blocking mauler.  But he's quick for a big guy and used in space he's effective in the run game.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I understand your POV, but there's another viewpoint on Shorter.

It's true that he was a top prospect coming out of HS.  He lost his freshman year at Penn State to injury, and struggled when he did play.  He dropped a lot of balls.  Was that due to injuries?  Did the coaches lose faith in him and he wasn't given a fair shake after losing the "best ability is availability" battle?

But with the Gators in 2021 and 2022, he is said to have had 1 drop on 114 targets and to have been a reliable deep threat.  He had a hammy that limited him his Sr year.

Sure, he was a 5th round pick for a reason, and he needs to improve some aspects of his game - his release against press man is one take.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

But he may have as much potential as former late round pick Isaiah Hodgins and ideally could become a replacement for Gabe Davis on those deep and deep intermediate routes, IF (and sure, it's an if) he applies himself to his craft.  I see him as a bit of a long shot to make the team, but a possibility to land on practice squad.

You kind of make it sound as though he showed nothing in college and I think he showed something, especially his Jr year.  To me, can he stay healthy is the issue.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/justin-shorter-1.html

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I understand your POV, but there's another viewpoint on Shorter.

It's true that he was a top prospect coming out of HS.  He lost his freshman year at Penn State to injury, and struggled when he did play.  He dropped a lot of balls.  Was that due to injuries?  Did the coaches lose faith in him and he wasn't given a fair shake after losing the "best ability is availability" battle?

But with the Gators in 2021 and 2022, he is said to have had 1 drop on 114 targets and to have been a reliable deep threat.  He had a hammy that limited him his Sr year.

Sure, he was a 5th round pick for a reason, and he needs to improve some aspects of his game - his release against press man is one take.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/justin-shorter/32005348-4f65-1252-2fb4-216da3af656d

But he may have as much potential as former late round pick Isaiah Hodgins and ideally could become a replacement for Gabe Davis on those deep and deep intermediate routes, IF (and sure, it's an if) he applies himself to his craft.  I see him as a bit of a long shot to make the team, but a possibility to land on practice squad.

You kind of make it sound as though he showed nothing in college and I think he showed something, especially his Jr year.  To me, can he stay healthy is the issue.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/justin-shorter-1.html

Just let people express their opinion. It may not be correct in your world view, but it’s an opinion that may be shared by others. No need to argue every damn thread. 

Edited by BringBackFergy

15 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Just let people express their opinion. It may not be correct in your world view, but it’s an opinion that may be shared by others. No need to argue every damn thread. 

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?  How very "Meta" of you, Fergy.

1) "Letting people express their opinion" is governed by them having an account here and making a post. 

2) Me having an opinion and expressing it in return doesn't stop them from expressing their opinion here in any way that I can see

3) Last time I looked, one person expressing a football opinion and another person disagreeing and politely responding with their different football opinion, is literally the purpose of this board

4) Last time I looked, there was no limit on the number of threads people can post in or the number of different opinions on different topics they can express - just on repetitively repeating that same opinion again and again and again (campaigning or crusading).  That's not what's going down here.

If you have a personal problem with how often, where , or what I post, I believe there's a simple solution provided by the board software.

Edited by Beck Water

20 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I'll give you some data, or at least a good example to back up your point

2014.  Eric Wood, playing C between Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears (an acceptable RT but a sucky RG).  I think he was rated near the bottom of the league by PFF.  He said later, he thought he might even be cut.

2015.  Eric Wood, playing C between Ritchie Incognito and John Miller (who Bills fans disliked but is actually capable in the right system - still in the league).  Now all of a sudden he's playing great.  Pro bowl when it meant a bit more.  Rated well by PFF.

Yeah, for a C, the play of the guys on either side of him matters a lot.  And the need of the guys to work together/difficulty of non-expert footbball observers to decode who had what blocking assignment, is one of the reasons why PFF OL grades are to be taken with the saltiest grain of salt.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'll give you some data, or at least a good example to back up your point

2014.  Eric Wood, playing C between Kraig Urbik and Erik Pears (an acceptable RT but a sucky RG).  I think he was rated near the bottom of the league by PFF.  He said later, he thought he might even be cut.

2015.  Eric Wood, playing C between Ritchie Incognito and John Miller (who Bills fans disliked but is actually capable in the right system - still in the league).  Now all of a sudden he's playing great.  Pro bowl when it meant a bit more.  Rated well by PFF.

Yeah, for a C, the play of the guys on either side of him matters a lot.  And the need of the guys to work together/difficulty of non-expert footbball observers to decode who had what blocking assignment, is one of the reasons why PFF OL grades are to be taken with the saltiest grain of salt.

I think linemen in general have said that the PFF values for them aren't really useful as you don't know assignments.  If the LG is supposed to pick up the stunt, and instead doubles the outside, the center looks like he can't block or obtain leverage - when in reality its just a bad rep by the unit.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.