Is Sean McDermott our version of Doug Collins?

I was watching some old stuff on the NBA and it kinda hit me the parallels the Bills have to the pre Phill Jackson Bulls. 
  Doug Collins their coach took over a franchise that was in disarray even after drafting one Michael Jordan two years earlier. 
  They became a consistent playoff team under Doug but couldn’t get over the hump til management decided Doug just wasn’t the guy and brought in Phill. 
  Seems like the National Media is starting to ask if you have this all world QB why haven’t you gotten farther and now it appears after today the National Media is starting to kinda zero in on Sean as the scapegoat in the Steff Diggs stuff. 
  I like Sean alot and remember the debacle he took over from Rex but have we reached the point where if they don’t win it this year do Terry and Brandon say it’s time to go in a different direction? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

It sort of tells you something when you have to turn to basketball as your best analogy. 

A defensive minded head coach with a top five quarterback statistically for three years with this much regular season success is pry Tony Dungy with the Colts.  Starting in 2002 he went 10-6 (lost WC round), 12-4 (lost AFC Championship game), and 12-4 (lost divisional game) in his first three years with Peyton.  McDermott starting in 2020 (when Josh became Josh) went 13-3 (lost AFC championship game), 11-6 (lost division game), and 13-3.  The Patriots and Steelers would be our Chiefs and Bengals in this silly comparison.  It took him two more seasons to finally win a Super Bowl.  The comparison isn't perfect but it's all I got.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This is a great question and it’s probably a yes.

People saying no. LMAO.

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

He’s more Phil Jackson with that Triangle philosophy and zen wrestling mantra. 

No. He’s not more Phil Jackson whatsoever. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

I was going to say no… but then I google the guy and see he played on the US basketball team first loss in Olympic history  at the olympics in 1972 in terrible circumstances to bitter rival Soviet Union…in the last second… .. which is very 13 seconds like or wide right  …or I believe the term we use here is very “Billsy”

so yes…. Let’s embrace our brother Doug..

One of us!!.. One of us!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It sort of tells you something when you have to turn to basketball as your best analogy. 

A defensive minded head coach with a top five quarterback statistically for three years with this much regular season success is pry Tony Dungy with the Colts.  Starting in 2002 he went 10-6 (lost WC round), 12-4 (lost AFC Championship game), and 12-4 (lost divisional game) in his first three years with Peyton.  McDermott starting in 2020 (when Josh became Josh) went 13-3 (lost AFC championship game), 11-6 (lost division game), and 13-3.  The Patriots and Steelers would be our Chiefs and Bengals in this silly comparison.  It took him two more seasons to finally win a Super Bowl.  The comparison isn't perfect but it's all I got.

Tomlin/Cowher also fit the bill. They struggled to get the job done with Ben. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And it was Tomlin's 2nd year period. Cowher is a guy who took years of near misses to get one.

Patient organization in Pittsburgh.  Pegula I believe grew up a Steelers fan growing up so it's just one of the reasons I believe McDermott really has to screw up royally for him to ever be fired.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I was watching some old stuff on the NBA and it kinda hit me the parallels the Bills have to the pre Phill Jackson Bulls. 
  Doug Collins their coach took over a franchise that was in disarray even after drafting one Michael Jordan two years earlier. 
  They became a consistent playoff team under Doug but couldn’t get over the hump til management decided Doug just wasn’t the guy and brought in Phill. 
  Seems like the National Media is starting to ask if you have this all world QB why haven’t you gotten farther and now it appears after today the National Media is starting to kinda zero in on Sean as the scapegoat in the Steff Diggs stuff. 
  I like Sean alot and remember the debacle he took over from Rex but have we reached the point where if they don’t win it this year do Terry and Brandon say it’s time to go in a different direction? 

This has come up here a couple of times. At this point, it’s the most appropriate comparison IMO. 

I advocated, last year, for Sean Payton this year, if the Bills didn’t (at least) go to the Super Bowl. Sean Payton with Allen and Diggs would have won multiple Super Bowls imo. It remains to be seen if McDermott is good enough when it matters most.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I get very strong Marty Schottenheimer vibes from McDermott. Both are (or were) defensive minded HCs with the ability to turn around poor teams and mold them into excellent regular season squads. However neither could figure out how to win in the playoffs against the best teams and squandered the careers of excellent QBs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

It’s not all on McDermott… yet.

Beane provided him a mediocre OL… and no bruising RB to take the short yardage pressure off Allen.

If what we are told about McDermott’s role in the 13 second debacle is true, it will show again this season… There were more than a few confounding coaching decisions throughout last season to wonder if McDermott has the right game day stuff to bring a Super Bowl back to Buffalo.

Then there is Allen’s role in our failure to advance… Again, if the insider reports are true, appears the Media hype attracted the kind of attention from celebrities that distracted him from his job…

Much tougher division this year… Bills will have to focus and stay healthy… McDermott is on the hot seat… Beane as well.

The Bills canceled the last day of mandatory minicamp today… Not a good sign… Lack of player commitment to the quest.

Pegula and Buffalo aren’t building a new stadium expecting to lose.

Pegula won’t be patient much longer… Couple more years at best, my bet.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

T0ny Dungy had t0 be fired f0r Tampa t0 get 0ver the hump.

C0uld be the same here.

als0 H0w in the hell is Dungy in the Hall 0f Fame?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.