RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

3 hours ago, Luka said:

Kincaid is an excellent pick in terms of talent.  The real question is whether or not Dorsey can actually draw up a gameplan that utilizes Knox and Kincaid effectively. 

He has the talent to line up at any wr position…I really don’t get this notion that dorsey has to do rocket science to the scheme to try to incorporate two TEs lol 

kincaid is arguably the best pass catcher in the draft flat out, it’s not like ‘yea he’s pretty good at catching the ball/running routes for a tight end’ 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

If I use Daniel J. rankings (more should listen to him, he is EXCELLENT at what he does) and I have him as the top guy I listen to when talking prospects. 

we got the 9th best player at 25 and the 30th best player at 59.  And the 119th best player at 91 

Bills Draft is LOADED with Value 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Luka said:

Kincaid is an excellent pick in terms of talent.  The real question is whether or not Dorsey can actually draw up a gameplan that utilizes Knox and Kincaid effectively. 

This is not going to take a crazy new playbook. Kincaid is a big slot. He's going to lineup as a wr.

Right out of Beane's mouth, a 12 with Knox and Kincaid is really an 11 formation. Because Kincaid is a receiver. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

If I use Daniel J. rankings (more should listen to him, he is EXCELLENT at what he does) and I have him as the top guy I listen to when talking prospects. 

we got the 9th best player at 25 and the 30th best player at 59.  And the 119th best player at 91 

Bills Draft is LOADED with Value 

Yeah DJ is the guy I trust the most. His evaluations never seem to be connected to any bias, which you see with McShay and Kiper. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He's a natural pass catcher with excellent hands unlike knox.

Knox has worked hard but he has stone hands.

I would put Dalton out in routes and have Dawson do the blocking

Oh don't mind me just posting random video of Knox having stone hands in high pressure situations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah DJ is the guy I trust the most. His evaluations never seem to be connected to any bias, which you see with McShay and Kiper. 

McShay is not one whose acumen I respect at all but he has a strange value aspect in that everyone on set gets his goat no matter what show it is on ESPN........especially Kiper......who by rights should be the easy one to pick on.  So ESPN gets a lot of mileage out of his constant state of annoyance and perma-scowl all draft season.    He's neither a good evaluator or good at presenting his opinions but he's their bumbling heel.   I wonder if they will reach a point where they elevate someone whose opinions are respected.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Sierra Foothills I’m assuming we are from the same side of the county.. we watched Utah play PAC-whatever games. Kincaid is a beast. Second TE in college football, based on my completely unprofessional opinion. I like his style of play much more than the bigger bulkier blocking type. I didn’t like TE Washington potentially coming to Buffalo at all. I see the Steelers drafted him. Perfect, he can go block there and grind out 17-14 wins or losses. I LOVE that Kincaid is an athlete.

Pro: Kincaid is the top TE in the draft, and he grades out to be a pro bowl caliber player. 

Con: the Bills didn’t show much creativity with the athletic type TE they already have, last season. 

Now Knox was going through it last year, and that has to factored in to last year’s TE on field product. 

It’s not like the formula for quick hits to the TE didn’t present itself last year. QB with little time, quick hitting passes. The failure was offensive play design. And at this point, JA17 should be ahead of the curve compared to the OC, especially Dorsey. Allen is at the point where he’s the general, not a captain. 

So, in my opinion, Josh should be scheming up plays for Kincaid and the TE position. That means Allen better love this pick. Hell I want to hear from him — that this the guy he wanted over any WR in the draft. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

This is not going to take a crazy new playbook. Kincaid is a big slot. He's going to lineup as a wr.

Right out of Beane's mouth, a 12 with Knox and Kincaid is really an 11 formation. Because Kincaid is a receiver. 

I’ve been saying the same thing lol.  I feel like most people have this backwards because if anything a player like Kincaid is ‘easy mode’ for an allegedly not very creative offensive coordinator…the guy can line up anywhere and do pretty much anything a wr or pass catching TE can do. 

the only knock on him is blocking which is something Knox is pretty good at

Knox is mostly a vertical TE in the passing game that does not have the route running prowess/hands that Kincaid does.   There’s not a whole lot of overlap between the two of them. 

If we truly got another knox (like some people are incorrectly stating) then things get tough for an OC because you’ve got two guys that mostly only excel at verticals. 

A big factor in knox being underutilized in the passing game is he’s not as accomplished a route runner as someone like Kincaid is 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’ve been saying the same thing lol.  I feel like most people have this backwards because if anything a player like Kincaid is ‘easy mode’ for an allegedly not very creative offensive coordinator…the guy can line up anywhere and do pretty much anything a wr or pass catching TE can do. 

the only knock on him is blocking which is something Knox is pretty good at

Knox is mostly a vertical TE in the passing game that does not have the route running prowess/hands that Kincaid does.   There’s not a whole lot of overlap between the two of them. 

If we truly got another knox (like some people are incorrectly stating) then things get tough for an OC because you’ve got two guys that mostly only excel at verticals. 

A big factor in knox being underutilized in the passing game is he’s not as accomplished a route runner as someone like Kincaid is 

I think your wrong if you think this guy is just a WR.

PASS SNAPS-401

IN-LINE SNAPS-142

SLOT SNAPS-221

His game is in the slot, but do not be delusional that this kid Just plays Slot. He did a lot of good stuff on the LOS as well.  Not top end blocking of course not 

BUT

Just because the dude can not run block does not mean he won't at times be lined up on the LOS,  chip block then go out to receive. No one is going to ask him to be gronkowski and block DE/EDGE but that does not mean he can not play on the line and help chip then take passes against very good defensive lines.

Silliness to think he is just a WR.  Those 2023 numbers do not lie..

and by the way, even Kelce spends 15% of his snaps on the offensive line... I expect our guy to be around 20%

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

He's a natural pass catcher with excellent hands unlike knox.

Knox has worked hard but he has stone hands.

I would put Dalton out in routes and have Dawson do the blocking

Living in the past.

In 2019 and 2020, Knox had a ton of drops. In 2021, Knox had the 4th lowest drop percentage on the team of all players with >20 targets.  In 2022, he had the second lowest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think your wrong if you think this guy is just a WR.

PASS SNAPS-401

IN-LINE SNAPS-142

SLOT SNAPS-221

His game is in the slot, but do not be delusional that this kid Just plays Slot. He did a lot of good stuff on the LOS as well.  Not top end blocking of course not 

BUT

Just because the dude can not run block does not mean he won't at times be lined up on the LOS,  chip block then go out to receive. No one is going to ask him to be gronkowski and block DE/EDGE but that does not mean he can not play on the line and help chip then take passes against very good defensive lines.

Silliness to think he is just a WR.  Those 2023 numbers do not lie..

and by the way, even Kelce spends 15% of his snaps on the offensive line... I expect our guy to be around 20%

Are you replying to the right person?  Lol idk where I said Kincaid ‘only’ plays slot.  He can play virtually anywhere a wr or TE can play making him an ‘easy mode’ for an offensive coordinator is what I said 😂

16 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Are you replying to the right person?  Lol idk where I said Kincaid ‘only’ plays slot.  He can play virtually anywhere a wr or TE can play making him an ‘easy mode’ for an offensive coordinator is what I said 😂

no sorry... do you still luv me? HA HA... Peace 

Dalton Kincaid

YEAR    GAMES   RECEPTIONS   RECEIVING YARDS    TARGET SHARE    CATCH RATE         RECEIVING TOUCHDOWN  

2020     1 (TE)          1   (3 tgts)         14 (14.0 ypr)              1.9%                           33.3%                             0

2021     13 (TE)       36 (46 tgts)     510 (14.2 ypr)             11.5%                          78.3%                              8      

2022     12 (TE)       70 (96 tgts)     890 (12.7 ypr)             21.7%                         72.9%                              8

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Talked to my brother who is a Utahite and a major Chiefs fan.  He was really hoping that Kincaid would drop to the Chiefs.  I won't repeat what he said when Kincaid had dropped to 25, but let's just say he was rather excited.    His heart sank when the Bills picked him.  Says the dude is way better than I can imagine, and the Bills are going to be very very happy to have him on the team.

So, there is that.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 7

13 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Not sure if this was mentioned among the discussion about jumping the Cowboys to get our pick but I heard a Peter King interview yesterday and he said that KC was also targeting Kincaid in the 1st.

Ian R also said the Rams tried to move into the 1st for Kincaid and other teams were very interested as well.

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/28/2023 at 8:07 PM, Luka said:

If Ken Dorsey can't get the ball to Kincaid in his 2nd season as OC, he shouldn't be one.

I'm not worried about it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Living in the past.

In 2019 and 2020, Knox had a ton of drops. In 2021, Knox had the 4th lowest drop percentage on the team of all players with >20 targets.  In 2022, he had the second lowest.

We need to throw to both. Dawson has definitely cleaned up his drops. Kincaid just simply drops nothing. I would hope neither is jettisoned to blocking duty.  I consider Kincaid like a TE/ WR hybrid. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Yantha said:

I enjoyed this:

Makes me wish Simms was a more respected evaluator of talent lol. Love the enthusiastic analysis of a pick that so many less-informed Bills fans got upset about. A TE?! Spoke with a bunch of fans who were upset about the pick only because Dawson Knox got (over)paid and they didn't think we needed another TE. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.